Author Topic: Supercap evaluation board.  (Read 440 times)

teb and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline miro123Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Supercap evaluation board.
« on: September 04, 2024, 02:40:33 pm »
I've just drawn the initial schematics of supercap evaluation board.
My goal is to learn the behavior of different suparcaps.
My planning is as follow.
1. Define what I want to achieve.
2. Present the schematics for review.

My idea is to use available components as much as possible. In my case I already have ADS1256 +STM32H7 acquisition board . Acquired data is streamed with UDP port to industrial PC
The first step is to perform difference measurements. Goal is to get an idea about the noise around DUTs while environment is kept the same for all of them?
Later on start playing temperature, humidity or mechanical. But one by one. I'll try to keep  the multi variable bonanza for the last step.

See attached draft version of schematics. Critique tips or suggestions are welcome.
I still dont make up my mind about the mechanics - do I need to keep the test board separated and connected via cable to Acquisition board or do I need put them together in one test chamber - in my case will be  Hamming day-cast AL case.
My first test are with two type of low current high impedance supercaps. I have bad experience with few high current supercaps in the past. I consider to start with two Vishay/BC low current supercaps.  Proposal for good brand and caop series are welcome. I'm new in this area.

My expectations in this project are low. I know that Aluminum electrolytic capacitors and SuperCapacitors have a limited service life. Add to this that  during the liftime the parameters are changed.And I shoud not expect some breaktrough wonder here. Learning something new is the main goal

« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 03:07:29 pm by miro123 »

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
Re: Supercap evaluation board.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2024, 07:29:13 am »
The best way to test them is to stress them a bit, imho. Higher voltages/currents, bigger temperature/humidity/pressure differences, etc. Otherwise you will spend years with the test..

Online The Soulman

• Super Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
Re: Supercap evaluation board.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2024, 12:52:57 pm »
I'd suggest to add the ability to measure leakage current of the different caps.
The nicest way to do that is to measure the voltage drop across R3 thru R8.
Or more simple is to create a direct output from your voltage reference and do a differential measurement between it and the various outputs.

The following users thanked this post: miro123

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf