Author Topic: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)  (Read 231815 times)

Offline IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Re: WinGPIB - Windows GPIB App (multi-purpose)
« Reply #850 on: September 03, 2024, 09:31:34 pm »
New version in Post #1 available for download. - PLEASE READ THE INFO IN POST #766 BEFORE UPGRADING TO THIS VERSION IF YOU ARE COMING FROM V3.177 OR EARLIER.
WinGPIB_V3_217.zip
[Virus scanned using BitDefender AntiVirus]
Need help installing, upgrading or moving to a new PC, then see instructions in Post #1
WinGPIB is for non-commercial use only, contact me if you wish to use it in your business environment.

Small GUI tweaks and bug fixes.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline wutieru

• Contributor
« Reply #851 on: September 06, 2024, 05:32:28 am »
When the amount of data is too large, the software will become very slow. Is there any way to improve this?

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #852 on: September 06, 2024, 11:31:34 am »
When the amount of data is too large, the software will become very slow. Is there any way to improve this?

Is this the CSV...?
Certainly loading from the CSV to the Playback Chart can be slow if the CSV is big........but where exactly are you seeing it becoming slow?

Depending on where/how you are seeing this there are likely some changes I can make.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline wutieru

• Contributor
« Reply #853 on: September 07, 2024, 12:27:03 am »
yes,
When I load a CSV file with over 60000 records, the playback interface becomes very slow,requiring a wait of about 15 minutes or more.
If I modify temperature parameters on the playback interface, the loading process will repeat again, with a wait time of over 15 minutes.

Offline chilternview

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #854 on: September 07, 2024, 07:01:13 am »
I've reported before that the calculation of the Y axis values automatically during loading is very slow. Turning it off makes all the difference.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #855 on: September 07, 2024, 10:20:02 am »
New version in Post #1 available for download. - PLEASE READ THE INFO IN POST #766 BEFORE UPGRADING TO THIS VERSION IF YOU ARE COMING FROM V3.177 OR EARLIER.
WinGPIB_V3_218.zip
Need help installing, upgrading or moving to a new PC, then see instructions in Post #1
WinGPIB is for non-commercial use only, contact me if you wish to use it in your business environment.

Reading a CSV into the Playback Chart is significantly faster, especially large CSV's.
If you can please time the previous version before you upgrade/after upgrade and post here CSV size (No. lines) and time.

My examples as follows:

10000 line CSV:
Old code = 5secs
New code = 0.5sec

62000 line CSV:
New code = 2secs

251000 line CSV:
New code = 7secs
(PS. My new PC is fast)

I have left the previous version available for download as this one is in beta for the moment as there are quite a few code changes!........It seem ok though, but there's more I can do to optimize the code further.

Ian.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 01:39:19 pm by IanJ »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #856 on: September 07, 2024, 02:12:50 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_219.zip WinGPIB_V3_220.zip

Further mods to the Playback Chart to increase loading speed.
Enabling TEMP and HUM via checkboxes is now faster also.
In order to achieve this I have removed the Manual Refresh button and Auto-Refresh (5ecs) check box. If you want to refresh the chart then just open the CSV manually again.

EDIT V3.220: Turning off PPM, TEMP & HUM via check boxes on Playback Chart is now much faster.

Ian.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 04:43:08 pm by IanJ »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #857 on: September 08, 2024, 11:43:24 am »
WinGPIB_V3_221.zip

Added the CSV sample rate to the Playback Chart.

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #858 on: September 08, 2024, 03:33:22 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_222.zip WinGPIB_V3_223.zip

Playback Chart GUI tidy up.

UPDATE: Zoom button on Playback Chart broken - fixed.

Ian.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 04:28:11 pm by IanJ »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #859 on: September 08, 2024, 10:12:03 pm »
WinGPIB_V3_224.zip

Playback Chart, fixed small bug with the ZOOM ALL button.
This has highlighted another issue so I will need to go over these ZOOM buttons in the coming days, but for now they work ok.

Ian.

Offline wutieru

• Contributor
« Reply #860 on: September 09, 2024, 03:52:05 am »
Thanks,
The Playback runs very fast now.

The following users thanked this post: IanJ

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #861 on: September 27, 2024, 12:20:21 pm »
New version in Post #1 available for download (see post #766 before upgrading if you are on V3.177 or earlier).
WinGPIB_V3_226.zip

Very minor mods to some of the text labels on some of the tabs, i.e. 3245A Cal tab now says "3245A CALIBRATION ADJUSTMENTS" & PDVS2mini tab now says "CALIBRATION / ADJ.".
This is because strictly speaking "calibration" is NOT making adjustments, it is purely recording against a standard.

I also fixed some compilation warnings in the source code.

Ian.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 01:27:07 pm by IanJ »

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #862 on: October 06, 2024, 03:09:17 pm »
The source code has been moved from my own server to Github which makes it easier for me to deploy the source after any changes, i.e. direct from Visual Studio.

You need all 3 repositories:
WinGPIBproj - Visual Studio project (the main GUI).
IODevices - Visual Studio project (the DLL required by the main app).
WinGPIBadditionalinfo - A compilation of files, datasheets, sample data, utilities, 3rd party DLL's & drivers etc.

https://github.com/Ian-Johnston?tab=repositories

Ian.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2024, 03:27:17 pm by IanJ »

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #863 on: October 06, 2024, 08:15:43 pm »
Great to hear Ian - Thanks for all the work you've done here.

TonyG

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #864 on: October 09, 2024, 01:43:11 am »
Hey Ian,

Is the reference to "VISA-COM 5.14 Type Library" (VisaComLib) in WinGPIBProj just an artifact? I removed it from the solution rather than recreate an x86 build project and things seem to work fine without it. You use a DLLImport in IODevices to access the Visa DLL so I don't think it is used but wanted to check in first.

Thanks,

TonyG

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #865 on: October 09, 2024, 11:15:25 am »
Hey Ian,
Is the reference to "VISA-COM 5.14 Type Library" (VisaComLib) in WinGPIBProj just an artifact? I removed it from the solution rather than recreate an x86 build project and things seem to work fine without it. You use a DLLImport in IODevices to access the Visa DLL so I don't think it is used but wanted to check in first.
Thanks,
TonyG

I never added that manually, so wonder if it was detected as a dependancy when I upgraded my Keysight VISA drivers some time ago (couple years ago!) and subsequently loaded up VS.
It doesn't appear present in some very old code I looked at.

It's a helper DLL to assist in VISA comms apparently but I don't think WinGPIB needs it as it directly accesses the Visa32.dll.

Looks like WinGPIB is ok without it from testing.

Ian.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf