Author Topic: kiln PWM parameter for PID  (Read 1838 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: kiln PWM parameter for PID
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2024, 10:42:56 am »
I don't know. Then I reset it and it gave me EE3 but it looks like everything is all good. It was flashing EE3 but the temperature was being measured and when I power cycled it, clearly the heater was OK

hmm maybe I should check the SSR for a short, but I have a feeling its a bogus error.

Is this possible because I have a very thin temporary thermocouple and its not like losing heat fast enough because the thick one that is like 16 awg wire will conduct heat out the wires and maybe vary the temperature a little bit?

Previously I did the auto tune at like 350C. It completed OK. The next day I set it to 850C and did it again and its going on about the errors
« Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 10:46:13 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Poroit

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2024, 08:06:01 am »
If your Controller Auto Tuned at 350°C then that proves that your SSR is functioning OK.

EE3 is Loop Break Alarm so check your thermocouple.

Thermocouple.
How is your thin temporary thermocouple constructed?
Has it shorted somewhere behind the Hot Junction?

Controller Settings.
What Operating Range have you selected?
What Operating Mode have you selected?
Are you also using Setpoint2?
Output 1 Cycle Time?
What are the existing PID settings?

Sorry for all the controller questions but there are a few parameters that can screw up the controller operation if not set correctly :)

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2024, 12:22:41 pm »
I need to print the manual because I don't like running this device in the house.

I replaced the thermocouple with the proper one.

The temporary thermocouple was very thin, probobly 28 awg single strand wire, which I folded over and put into a 22-18 crimp. It seemed OK but its possible that connection was bad. Now the thermocouple should be good since its properly terminated.

I can try to get this information,I just need to do one more disassembly because I wired the new one in backwards lol

I kind of like the Chromalox PID better, because they try to communicate better through the display... but it was too big. This one is 100% cryptic codes, so I need the manual near me

Offline johansen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2024, 04:12:18 pm »
The temporary thermocouple was very thin, probobly 28 awg single strand wire, which I folded over and put into a 22-18 crimp. It seemed OK but its possible that connection was bad.

If you had provided any of that information previously otherwise i would have told you the thermocouple is non linear with temperature and that's why it ran out of time.

you can weld your own thermocouples but crimping them together doesn't work beyond maybe.. soldering iron temperatures, and even then the corrosion is going to set in and the wires go open circuit.

also the kiln ceramic insulation becomes slightly conductive the hotter it gets and you can have 60hz leakage affect the temperature.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 04:26:25 pm by johansen »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2024, 08:45:49 pm »
no their welded at the factory I mean the crimps to the machine, it needs to be crimped to fit on a 250 spade. I just removed the yellow connector and put crimps on instead.

I know your not supposed to mess with the hot end. I have a spot welder for that part too

for the input of the thermocouple the C9000A PID literarly has 2 brass spades, the same as for AC power and the SSR.

It did pass the yank test. Anyway thats gone now

folding the wire into a over sized crimp on the hot end is mad noob haha. klingon wiring
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/e/e4/Opti-cable.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/301?cb=20121204030820&path-prefix=en
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 08:56:20 pm by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 01:58:31 am »
Well I don't get it. I got a good thermocouple in there and it reads EE3 again when it gets to like 500 degrees on Autotune.

It still measures temperature. The heater still works.

What the hell does this thing want.

I read the section about the LBA.

Is it possible that if its set to 2x the integration time, and the integration time is mad wrong, it thinks there is a loop break when there is no loop break because its just too slow?

When it cools off tommorow I will try to get all the values it has.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:03:00 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Poroit

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 03:11:39 am »
Have a read of Section 4.2 of the Omega Manual.

It will be a Time issue that is bringing up EE3.

Look at your setting for SP2 Operating Mode as it can also effect EE3.

Lets see your parameter settings when available.

I see a few of you posts where you are concerned about the spade terminals on the controller.
Mainly used a space savers....Not my preference but have used them successfully in applications.

The Cold Junction is where you introduce a dissimilar metal to the thermocouple so in your case it will be at the rear of the controller where you have the spade connectors.
The controller will look after the Cold Junction from there so don't be concerned.

"thermocouple non linear"...this is not an issue as controllers have built in Linearization Tables for all the Thermocouples, RTD's and Thermistors they offer.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 11:38:48 pm »
Controller Settings.
What Operating Range have you selected?
-not sure what you mean. Its type K with a limit to 1150C (the instrument manual says 1200 but I gave it a bit of margin)

What Operating Mode have you selected?
-Autotune AT

Are you also using Setpoint2?
-No

Output 1 Cycle Time?
-0.3 seconds. I read that high cycle time can loosen the bolt on the SSR and that if possible use the fastest you can for a solid state application unless its a problem.

What are the existing PID settings?

Proportional : 2.0.  - This means 2 % I think
Derivative : 2 - this means 2 seconds I think
Approach Control : 2.5. - multiple of 2.5 proportional band
Integral : 1.1. - does it mean 11 minutes?

To get those settings I needed to disable Autotune because it just keeps trying to Auto tune ever time I boot the controller

Maybe I set the LBA for 30 minutes? If I understand it correctly it set for 22 minutes right now. maybe thats too fast.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:16:12 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #33 on: Today at 12:53:50 am »
I put the timeout at 30 minutes and now its ee5 ing me again

what the hell is this time limit. time limit is only mentioned in the document once under the definition of EE5.

Where are the auto tune time limits in the manual? I don't know what you mean

could it be unhappy because its empty? maybe I should run it with a crucible or something?
« Last Edit: Today at 01:34:21 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #34 on: Today at 03:51:13 am »
I let it warm up to 750C with out the auto thing, then I turned on the Push to tune (02) option, instead of full auto tune. it almost immediatly gave me EE5.

I guess this has something to do with the temperature change of the kiln being wayyyy too slow for the controller?

unless anyone has any insight, I guess I need to buy a thermocouple adapter for my graphing DMM so I can manually tune this sucker. I think I will anyway, because if I see EE5 again this kiln might get re-entry crash landing qualification
« Last Edit: Today at 04:22:56 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Poroit

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: Today at 05:51:12 am »
How long did your kiln take to reach 750°C?

The following users thanked this post: johansen

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf