Author Topic: Win-Source Electronics good to go?  (Read 7067 times)

Offline Rat_PatrolTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Win-Source Electronics good to go?
« on: May 25, 2021, 11:23:23 pm »
For actual products, not counterfeits that is.

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Win-Source Electronics good to go?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 12:10:39 am »
I yesterday asked them for a quote for a reel of PIC microcontrollers. They have small quantity prices listed but the quote came back higher than what the listed single piece price was! I then went back to the website and saw that they had jacked up the price.

I fortunately found a source with a delivery timeframe that suited (still late in the year) so I told Win Source to stick it.

Offline 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 10:32:47 am »
A month ago, I nearly bought some expensive parts from them. But after hearing all the same tactics used for the customer to pay more at the end, I decided not to. Went back to Element-14 and managed to negotiate for a pricing closer to Win-Source. I even bought from Symmetry Electronics (a small company in the US) as a result which I did used them sparingly in the past.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 01:54:00 pm »
Well, some components I need that they actually had stock of I bit the bullet last night and ordered.

The price was OK, didn't go through the "quote" route, just the price on their website and ordered (cheaper than any US retailer that is OOS anyway).

As long as I didn't buy $2500 in junk and it actually shows up iln 3-5 days as promised, I'll be happy enough.

I used PayPal, so if I bought junk, at least I have a way to deal with it.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 11:17:44 am »
Well, some components I need that they actually had stock of I bit the bullet last night and ordered.

The price was OK, didn't go through the "quote" route, just the price on their website and ordered (cheaper than any US retailer that is OOS anyway).

As long as I didn't buy $2500 in junk and it actually shows up iln 3-5 days as promised, I'll be happy enough.

I used PayPal, so if I bought junk, at least I have a way to deal with it.

The parts will be, IME, OK, if sent... but see below.

Be prepared for bait-and-switch three or four days after your order, asking you for 2x to 3x the advertised pricing. I've had bait-and-switch happen three times in three orders. The last two times I told them to either honour the advertised price or swivel. The refund does happen.

If you _do_ pay the extra demanded, good luck getting an amended invoice off them. They have ignored all my emails requesting an updated invoice.

Not only are their working practices dishonest, but they also add significant scheduling delays.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 12:50:54 pm »
Scalpels. They buy up the inventory to sell it at extreme pricing.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 02:15:56 pm »
So far one of the components I ordered was actually OOS, so they are refunding that.

No bait-n-switch yet on the other, which is OOS everywhere in the English speaking world.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 02:28:48 pm »
So far one of the components I ordered was actually OOS, so they are refunding that.

No bait-n-switch yet on the other, which is OOS everywhere in the English speaking world.

I strongly suspect they're a broker, and hold no stock.

Offline Centmo

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 05:04:32 pm »
Winsource: stay away. After ordering parts and paying for them in full, I was notified a week later that the parts had gone up in price 4x, and I would need to pay the higher price. I declined. On another order, one month after payment I emailed to ask when the parts would ship and was told that in fact they didn't have the stock so they would have to refund me. Finding this suspicious, I requested a quote for the same part from a different email address and was given a price 3x what I paid and was told they have plenty in stock and ready to ship in 2-3 days.

Finally, a colleague of mine discovered that they had used a fake humidity card in an old shipment to us. Months after the bag had been opened, all of the dots were still blue while the card says that the dots would turn pink when the various humidity levels were exceeded. This is even more egregious than the ordering shenanigans.

Very dishonest business, steer clear.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, Kean, Howardlong

Offline sam512bb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 10:26:10 pm »
Good day All,

I ordered from them a few months ago and all went fine.  The parts received were not counterfeit and worked as expected.

I placed another order about a week or so after the first and this one they came back with a price increase of about 20%.  I declined and they refunded my purchase somewhat promptly (within a day or two).  I never felt that they were stuffing me for the extra 20%, but had the feeling that they are a parts brokers and so their online price and stock levels are not necessarily up to date.   To me this makes sense, as their site can provide multiple stock levels and prices for the same parts.  Secondly, being a parts broker I can understand the time lag between placing an ordering and when the parts actually ship.   Thirdly, if they are a parts broker that does not have an extensive on hand inventory, I can see why there could be price changes from their site price to when they try and acquire the inventory... and especially now given the even more extended leadtimes that are now occurring.

Cheers,

Sam
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 10:30:40 pm by sam512bb »

Offline L1L1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 02:27:40 pm »
I ordered from them a while ago through their website. These were parts I could not find anywhere else.

They came back to me saying that the reels I ordered were "damaged" and that they needed to get them from another source. The new price was double or triple the initial price, depending on the part. I accepted reluctantly.

A bit later they contacted me saying that they made a small mistake, quoting prices in EUR not in USD as they claimed, so the conversion added a 10% extra to get to USD. Again I accepted because I was kind of desperate.

There were some delays in shipping but I ultimately got the parts. All the paper humidity detectors they shipped with the parts were fake (those papers with blue dots). The good news is that all parts were genuine and well packed.

I will probably not order from them again.

The following users thanked this post: Howardlong

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2022, 03:41:38 pm »
While we were past cheerleaders for this company, that was pre-covid. Now they are scamming at inflated pricing for anything they touch. They hoard most of the TI parts within minutes to hours of online releases. Just saw 183K LDOs disappear in hours.

Avoid them like covid and Putin.

The following users thanked this post: Howardlong, JPortici, laubzega

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 11:34:13 pm »
My brother is in the construction industry, where there is plenty of price gouging at the moment. He says companies do not soon forget this and once the current boom trails off those who have been taking advantage will be the first to be given the flick.

I hope similar karma happens with these IC scalpers and they end up with mountains of stock they have to sell at a loss.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2022, 10:15:46 am »
I ordered from them a few months ago and all went fine.  The parts received were not counterfeit and worked as expected.

Yes, that has been my experience too, BUT...

I placed another order about a week or so after the first and this one they came back with a price increase of about 20%. 

All part of their bait and switch.

I declined and they refunded my purchase somewhat promptly (within a day or two).  I never felt that they were stuffing me for the extra 20%,

You were being stuffed. Their standard MO is to advertise one price and not honour it using a bullshit excuse. You were lucky it was only 20%.

Usually they wait a few days before telling you too, deliberately to make you even more desperate.

...To me this makes sense...

... and especially now given the even more extended leadtimes that are now occurring.

Like the rest of us, you're being shafted I'm afraid, you're just a gullible mark to them.

While they do deliver kosher parts, they're consistently and uniformly shysters to deal with. Avoid!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 10:20:24 am by Howardlong »

Offline georpo

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 11:19:25 am »
I started working in the company I am now since like 1 month. One of my job there is to source components for our customers in order to place them in PCBs.
I found many components from the list I was working previous week at win source. When I notified the manager he told me to not take under consideration the website prices but ask someone directly on skype.
I did so and the price was same as the web site (approx50$ for 150 pcs). I go today to order them and price was 72$/piece.... Ofcourse we already gave a quote for the components to the customer.
Luckily I found them for just a bit more (than the previous price from another supplier). When I discussed the situation with my manager I've been told that this is one of their game. He told me that many times in the past they even paid for the components and they were saying few days after that because the parts are oxidized they cannot send them and that the new price is 4-5 times more expensive.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2022, 11:59:08 am »
I'm sorry to hear this. Component sourcing, under normal circumstances, just requires good communication and organisation skills, and provided you have those you should be OK.

In the current market, though, it requires plenty of experience, pragmatism, and no small amount of cynicism. It's just horrible out there.

The usual chain of responsibility from management -> engineering -> manufacturing -> procurement needs to be completely turned on its head right now. I'm very fortunate that the companies I work with are able to do this.

Plenty aren't, and they'll be struggling all the more.

Offline georpo

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 01:43:25 pm »
Yes, I've been told that a few years ago 1 person could finish several BOM in one day just by himself.
Now, with the current situation it can take up to 3 days because you need to mail several Chinese suppliers or from USA where time difference makes things even slower other than the usual (Mouser, Digikey, Farnell etc)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 12:49:03 pm »
Same old sh!t

Dear Howard,

Sincerely thanks for your order online.

We are sorry to inform you that the price of the  parts you ordered has to be adjusted due to market fluctuations.

To avoid your supply chain disruptions, the refund request of payment has been submitted. It might take 3-5 business days for the payment to refund but I will get back to you ASAP.

Please also kindly confirm the following updated details for your reference if you are interested.

Part Number                             Order Pirce   Updated Price   Quantity   Total difference of the Amount
TLV320AIC3204IRHBR                  $2.509             $3.28            400pcs          $308.4

As the risk warning displayed on the order page, under the special circumstances of recent electronic components, we are also troubled by the shortage of components and the chaos of the market.

We are very unwilling to increase the price if there is no threat on the markets. Regarding to the price changes, we always try our best to negotiate with our supplier, strive for the lowest price to minimize the procurement costs and ensure the safety and stability of customer supply chains.

We would always suggest our customers hold the order first and pay close attention to price changes in the near future, if the components are not urgent for production or circulation.

Please allow us to send you an order invoice of the difference amount if you could accept the updates.
Or
Please be patient for the full refund if the price exceeds your purchase budget.

Further discussion please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf