Author Topic: Desoldering THT station  (Read 2136 times)

Offline RibsterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics prototyper. Design. Prototype. Consult
    • Ash Labs
Desoldering THT station
« on: May 20, 2019, 11:12:03 am »
I am in the market for a good THT desoldering station.
I've got experience with the SS-331BC-F from Proskit (Farnell buy), in my previous company.
That was not that great experience...

I'm seeing that JBC also has desoldering equipment, but it's $$$.
If it's really worth the money, i'd buy it, but i doubt it.
Any suggestions ? So purely focussing on through hole desoldering..
www.ashlabs.be
Design and manufacturing of embedded hard- and software

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Desoldering THT station
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 11:28:39 am »
We used to have the Weller ones that generated their own vacuum in our repairs section but I can't say we enjoyed using them or that doing so resulted in any fewer damaged vias than not using a dedicated de-soldering station did. In many ways you can't beat using a solder pot and then a good supply of the spring loaded desoldering guns, we like the green ones and have tried most of the ones in RS/Farnell.

On those occasions where I need to rework something, I like to resort to cutting the legs off with very sharp sidecudders and then removing the pins one by one, which is fine if the item in question is not a hideous fine pitch connector.

Offline Mark Staun

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:56:52 am »
We have been using the Apex Tool Group and the Weller Industrial Kit for a couple of years in our small company. We are very satisfied with the manufacturer. According to their characteristics, they also suit us. If you want more information, go here.
https://solderingironguide.com/reviews/best-soldering-guns/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:17:30 pm by Mark Staun »

Offline wulfman

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 02:33:08 pm »
I use a good soldering iron and a Air conditioning vacuum pump, connected to a glass cylinder with a Teflon tip.
Been using it for over 40 years. I cannot remember the make of the glass tube. It used to be connected to a foot pedal and a vacuum venturi unit, powered by compressed air. I find the vacuum pump much more efficient.

The following users thanked this post: Ribster

Offline rickmoll

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 07:34:55 pm »
I prefer the pencil rather than the pistol grip style of desoldering irons.

I've had a Pace dual channel analog workstation with internal vacuum pump for about 30 years. I can't imagine ever going back to using sping driven "solder suckers".

The main disadvantage of the old Pace analog gear is it takes a long time to heat up, and doesn't have any kind of sleep mode. But it seems like a lot of the old Pace gear shows up on Ebay.

I recently purchased some JBC hot air gear, and am considering a JBC THT desoldering setup because they heat up very quickly and then auto sleep.

The newer Pace digital stations can auto sleep their irons, but I don't think any of the Pace desoldering irons can heat up anywhere as fast as the JBC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf