Author Topic: Service to get aluminum substrate boards made in small quantities?  (Read 5417 times)

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hey all, I was wondering if there are any services similar to osh park that make aluminum substrate circuit boards in small quantities for prototyping. I would pretty much only need two or three, but getting a dozen made would be perfectly acceptable compared to having a thousand made.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Service to get aluminum substrate boards made in small quantities?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 03:12:14 pm »
Eurocircuits also has pooling for aluminium boards, with online calculator for price.

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 03:14:50 pm »
I have used PCB Train / Newbury Electronics in the UK to have small quantities of both Al and Cu substrate boards made.

http://www.newburyelectronics.co.uk/printed-circuit-board-fabrication/aluminium-based-copper-clad-pcbs/

Presumably you are looking for somewhere a bit closer to Canada though?  :(

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 03:20:26 pm »
I have used PCB Train / Newbury Electronics in the UK to have small quantities of both Al and Cu substrate boards made.

http://www.newburyelectronics.co.uk/printed-circuit-board-fabrication/aluminium-based-copper-clad-pcbs/

Presumably you are looking for somewhere a bit closer to Canada though?  :(

Yeah, and this project would be quite a ways off, but if the EU is all I can find, it's not a big deal.

Online georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 05:27:41 pm »
myropcb.com should be able to do a small run (china based fab, but your contact would be in Canada). I use them for a lot of the PCB stuff I need, 2/4 layer boards, small and medium runs.

I have a customer that gets MCPCB done by them and has been happy. This for LEDs so single layer, but they can do 2 layer over metal - costs you a bunch more for that though.

There's plenty of similar companies out there.

cheers,
george.

Offline Kelbit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 11:28:50 pm »
A few of the Shenzhen discount board houses can do cheap single-layer aluminum boards now as online orders. Off the top of my head, I know that both Smart Prototyping and Dangerous Prototypes can do it:

http://smart-prototyping.com/Prototyping-Services/Electronic-Prototyping/LED-Aluminium-PCB-Prototyping.html

http://dev.dangerousprototypes.com/store/pcbs

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 10:24:14 pm »
pcbway.com does single layer aluminium in prototype quantitys.

Multilayer Gets harder to find.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline printedcircuit

• Contributor
  • !
  • the better PCB fab choice
    • pcbway
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 01:34:59 am »
the aluminum board is usually single layer board. the 2-layer aluminum board is not a real 2-layer board, because aluminum board does not allow any via. actually, 2-layer aluminum board is two single layer boards made on the same substrate without any via connect them.
aluminum board is pretty common among PCB fabricators. as it is said PCBWay can make aluminum board.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:16:11 am by printedcircuit »
the key to make money from electronics is to control the prototyping budget. Choose PCBWay

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 03:45:03 am »
the aluminum board is usually single layer board. the 2-layer aluminum board is not a real 2-layer board, because aluminum board does not allow any via. actually, 2-layer aluminum board is two single layer boards made on the same substrate without any via connect them.
aluminum board is pretty common among PCB fabricators. as it is said PCBWay can make aluminum board.

Actualy you can buy multilayer Aluminum backed boards with Vias. I have done exactly that,
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 12:06:26 am »

afaiu not all IMS boards are created equal, the cheap stuff just regular FR4 on a piece of aluminium  the real deal uses a special prepreg with better thermal conductivity

Offline printedcircuit

• Contributor
  • !
  • the better PCB fab choice
    • pcbway
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 03:13:33 am »

Actualy you can buy multilayer Aluminum backed boards with Vias. I have done exactly that,
[/quote]
The laminate of Aluminum board is not dielectric. drill a via on it will cause short cut, unless you paste some dielectric glue on the hole before plate copper on top of it. i do not know any PCB fab can do that kind of job. well, there can be two layer Aluminum board. as far as i know, they can only be connected by mechanical holes.
the key to make money from electronics is to control the prototyping budget. Choose PCBWay

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf