Author Topic: Seeking a Multi conductor Cable selection Advice  (Read 3146 times)

Offline rocky79Topic starter

• Contributor
Seeking a Multi conductor Cable selection Advice
« on: July 25, 2018, 06:36:16 pm »
I am tying to spec a low voltage 4 and 3 conductor 22-24 AWG multi conductor cable for a measurement device. The current is less than 2 amps. Voltage is 12v one of the criteria that the cable must be flexible means stranded. The 2 amp is max. The total cable length is 6 feet. The cable will be used mostly indoor. So no special requirement on the outer jacket. I have found cables from Aplha wires Eco cable that looks like they will be perfect but they cost ~$2 per foot and rated for 300V. Other supplier like cooner wire wants $8 per foot.

wondering if there are cheaper alternatives? Or if anyone can suggest an economical alternative. Sofar I have found none.

I know cables used on AC/DC wall power supply for example are very inexpensive. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:38:26 pm by rocky79 »

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
Re: Seeking a Multi conductor Cable selection Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 06:44:16 pm »
6 feet? Make your own from single wires by twisting them together. There are all types of slip on sheaths that you can use, not to mention heat shrink. You stated that this is a 2 amp circuit, which insinuates a power circuit, thus no shielding needed. If you require shielding, there are short braided sleeves available as well.

Are there signals other than DC going through these cables?
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: rocky79

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 07:20:59 pm »
Hello, thank you for your reply.
I will need 6 feet per device. I am not sure what the volume will be but I would rather buy them pre-made.
as this is going to be a commercial product not just one off.
2 amp max DC current. Normally 0.5 amp. Two of the 4 conductors will be powering a relay coil ( 100ma) and the other two will be for driving a DC pump ( 0.5A nominal and 2amp initial surge)

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 07:47:57 pm »
You could just repurpose ethernet patch cords, or phone/modem cords. Ethernet patch cords come in fixed lengths like 5ft, 10ft, 3m, 5m, 10m and you have 8 awg24 wires inside, giving you option to either double wires for more current, or reserve wires for future use.
There's also the smaller phone cables with those smaller jacks, which would be thinner and have only 2 or 4 wires.

ex 1.1$ each for 1000 pcs , 4 wires, awg26 : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/assmann-wsw-components/AT-S-26-4-4-B-7-R/A2442R-07-ND/1972698

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 09:34:44 pm »
Industrial electronic places often sell multiconductor cable by the foot.  I know my local one has #22.  I don't know the price but it is very cheap; too cheap to know.
For example:
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Wiring_Solutions/Bulk_Multi-Conductor_Cable/Continuous_Flexing_Control_Cable#Conductor_Size_s=%2220%22&start=0
Might be suitable for your application?

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, rocky79

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 11:09:50 pm »
Good suggestion however I would rather go with the 22 gauge exact number of 3 and 4 conductors. Thank you

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 11:34:34 pm »
Hello Paul,

Thank you for the link. I have came across them before. They're very close to what I am looking for. Too bad the smallest they have a 18 AWG which is on the larger size. I might have to get a sample.

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 11:47:32 am »
If it is just 6ft, I would go with 24, or even 26 AWG. There are many options for connectors for the thinner wires. Ethernet cables are 26 or 28, IIRC.
I am available for freelance work.

Online NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 03:14:27 pm »
Telephone cord comes to mind. Will be really cheap and will have connectors already. If you need more flexible, there could be acceptable USB cables, although there's a danger of people poking them into wrong places.

At any rate, anything mass-produced will be much cheaper than custom cables.

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 10:24:25 pm »
.... I have found cables from Aplha wires Eco cable that looks like they will be perfect but they cost ~$2 per foot and rated for 300V. Other supplier like cooner wire wants $8 per foot.

Would you really need a halogen free cable?

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 11:05:16 pm »

Would you really need a halogen free cable?

It doesn't have to be halogen free. Do you have an alternate vendor?

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 11:20:45 pm »
It doesn't have to be halogen free. Do you have an alternate vendor?

LAPP (not sure about availability in USA, but there always options around)

Just simple PVC OLFLEX CLASSIC 100 or UNITRONIC LiYY might be decent candidates

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 11:40:53 am »
as already mentioned, he's looking for a 22awg or 24 awg wire. Ethernet cables are typically 26-30 awg.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 01:31:53 pm »
No.  *good* Cat5 or better Ethernet cable is between 22 and 24 AWG to meet specification.   Short patch leads may be as thin as 26 AWG.  If its thinner it wont meet spec.

With 8 wires in an Ethernet cable, one can afford to parallel two for each conductor, so the possibility of 26 AWG isn't a problem.   Assuming you are retaining the 8P8C modular connectors (colloquially 'RJ45') so you can use any off-the-shelf straight through UTP Ethernet cable, then, for idiot-proofing, some time spent studying Ethernet PoE standards is advisable to choose a pinout that will let your application survive being connected to an active PoE port, and that wont blow out any NIC the idiot attempts it connect it to.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 03:00:34 pm »
as already mentioned, he's looking for a 22awg or 24 awg wire. Ethernet cables are typically 26-30 awg.
Exactly, I have decided on the 22 AWG multi conductor cable. Lower gauge wires will not work for me.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 03:32:59 pm »
No.  *good* Cat5 or better Ethernet cable is between 22 and 24 AWG to meet specification.   Short patch leads may be as thin as 26 AWG.  If its thinner it wont meet spec.

With 8 wires in an Ethernet cable, one can afford to parallel two for each conductor, so the possibility of 26 AWG isn't a problem.   Assuming you are retaining the 8P8C modular connectors (colloquially 'RJ45') so you can use any off-the-shelf straight through UTP Ethernet cable, then, for idiot-proofing, some time spent studying Ethernet PoE standards is advisable to choose a pinout that will let your application survive being connected to an active PoE port, and that wont blow out any NIC the idiot attempts it connect it to.

Thank you IAN, I would rather not to mickey mouse with the cable with much more conductors than I need plus it's going to be stiffer than I would like. I will be paying someone to make the wire harness for me for larger orders so having the exact number of wires will make it easier to assemble.
For now I am going to stick with 22 awg 4 conductors stranded ( preferably higher than 7 strands per wire) as that's border line stiff.
The closest I have seen sofar is the Igus chain flex: CF130-05-04

Offline jagw

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 01:20:29 am »
See http://www.asapwire.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=90-7125-0100

$.47/ft
Call them for lower pricing on larger spools.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:23:35 am by jagw »

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 06:19:06 am »
4-conductor 22 awg, $0.24/ft (but you must buy 500 ft)
https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/22-awg-4-conductor-communication-cable-unshielded-500ft-or-1000ft-spool.html

Also IGUS Chainflex is some of the best cable I've used (the CF130-05-04 is $0.47/ft for 4-conductor 20 AWG):
https://www.igus.com/product/787

I'm kinda surprised that IGUS sells by the foot. You can also get them at McMaster.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 09:14:28 pm »
I ended getting the Igus cable. They’re amazing for the price. Thank you everyone for the help and the replies.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf