Author Topic: Reballing a BGA Intel HX chipset  (Read 1883 times)

Offline NexxenTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Reballing a BGA Intel HX chipset
« on: June 22, 2024, 02:38:04 pm »
Hello!!

I tried to reflow this chip but still no luck, board wouldn't POST.

I desoldered the thing and it became obvious why it didn't (see pics).

My porblem is to use the correct solder balls to do the reballing, I'll go for leaded.

Pads are 0.6mm on both parts, but I once read that you need to use 0.05 higher for a flawless result.
I ordered both 0.6 and 0.65mm for what they cost, but I'd like some advice on what's really best.

This is the chip I'm talking about (see p.31):
https://theretroweb.com/chip/documentation/29746702-64e22ae9de476813416608.pdf

I'll also need to do some trace reconstruction but that's not the hard par, just plain boring half-paced do it good no hurry :)

Thanks for any help!!

• Regular Contributor
Re: Reballing a BGA Intel HX chipset
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2024, 02:44:14 pm »
up

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2024, 02:50:08 pm »
Why would you even reflow/reball that? Chances that it's a soldering problem are very small, so either the issue was chip itself or somewhere else. Not to say you torn off several pads while removing it (pulled up the chip before solder has fully melt), so you need to buy another one or salvage from a donor board.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 02:56:35 pm by wraper »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2024, 10:27:06 am »
1. I want to do it, period. It's healthy exercise but I want to do it right to learn a skill.

2. Missing pads are in consequence of some mechanical stress that resulted in the visible damage (lifted corner), before I got it.

3. I can rebuild the traces/pads, not a concern.

4. You are not helping by telling me to desist. What is your point?

I'm asking if 0.6 or 0.65 is better. Where is the answer to that?
I know that sourcing a working spare would be optimal, but that's not my point.

Dude, this is a restoration project. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't: I don't care that much. But I want to do it right.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2024, 10:42:11 am »
2. Missing pads are in consequence of some mechanical stress that resulted in the visible damage (lifted corner), before I got it.
And how do you know that? Mechanical stress that can rip off the pads is very unlikely on desktop motherboard. On other hand ripping them off while desoldering is very easy.
Dude, this is a restoration project. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't: I don't care that much. But I want to do it right.
Reflowing it was certainly not "doing it right" if you ask any half-decent technician who does computer hardware component level repair. Going straight to doing something with BGA with no proper diagnostics is pretty dumb.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 10:46:50 am by wraper »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2024, 10:55:28 am »
And how do you know that? Mechanical stress that can rip off the pads is very unlikely on desktop motherboard. On other hand ripping them off while desoldering is very easy.
Reflowing it was certainly not "doing it right" if you ask any half-decent technician who does computer hardware component level repair. Going straight to doing something with BGA with no proper diagnostics is pretty dumb.

Because I bought it broken, that's how I know. The corner was lifted "already".

Thanks for the insult. You are useless and aggressive.

GO AWAY.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2024, 11:23:48 am »
You did not say that corner was lifted already, and after you said that now I notice multiple cracks on the corner. So it was probably someone destroying the chip while removing a heatsink or something like that. This chip is dead anyway, even if you restore torn pads and broken traces as it has internal damage too. As of initial question, precise ball size is not important for a chip with ball pitch this large. It becomes critical only with very fine pitch and tiny balls.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2024, 11:56:37 am »

GO AWAY

Not reading your answers. Thanks for poisoning the thread.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2024, 12:57:57 pm »
Don't use internet if you're a little crybaby that gets offended by a tiny critique that wasn't even about you but an action of doing something. You don't own the forum.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2024, 09:58:26 am »
Don't use internet if you're a little crybaby that gets offended by a tiny critique that wasn't even about you but an action of doing something. You don't own the forum.

You are a sorry excuse for a human being.
Not only you don't help but you insult all over. You were wrong and kept going to show that you are right.

GO AWAY!! YOU ARE NOT WELCOME AND YOUR ABUSE IS DISGUSTING!!

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2024, 10:04:50 am »
Almost everyone is welcome, apart from spammers, scammers and dickheads.

No one "owns" a thread. It's a community discussion. Out of many thousands of active members, not everyone is going to get along with everyone. If you have an issue with someone and you feel you need to take it up with them, use the PM function, otherwise, consider everyone else reading these threads.

Please try not to get into pissing contests. This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but offered as general advice.

Also note: I'm cranky this week, tolerance for nonsense is low. Consider this forewarning.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2024, 11:19:21 am »
If you want to take action delete all comments from #2 to yours. This to allow the thread to start fresh.

I asked a specific technical question and I got nothing but spite and off topic comments.
His wasn't help at all.

Ok, I can see that others read this. Again, this is allowing him to get his supply.
The answers I got give 0% help and became his hijacked thread of torment.

As an admin elsewhere I'd have deleted the comments and sent 2 PMs explaining why and issue a warning for a suspension if it happened again.
Going back to square 1 is the best solution to restore some order and this is my request.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2024, 11:50:00 am »
If you want to take action delete all comments from #2 to yours. This to allow the thread to start fresh.

I asked a specific technical question and I got nothing but spite and off topic comments.
His wasn't help at all.

Ok, I can see that others read this. Again, this is allowing him to get his supply.
The answers I got give 0% help and became his hijacked thread of torment.

As an admin elsewhere I'd have deleted the comments and sent 2 PMs explaining why and issue a warning for a suspension if it happened again.
Going back to square 1 is the best solution to restore some order and this is my request.
I should've been be more polite and I apologize for that, and in retrospect criticism was unwarranted but it was because you did not say why you removed the chip, as on the first glance it looked like typical damage done during BGA removal. However your reaction to that was just unhinged, to put it mildly. I ignored that and gave an answer to your initial question which you refused to read apparently, had gone even more unhinged, and got a reply which you pretty much deserved.
EDIT: And re-reading your question, it's not a fixed 0.05mm but percentage, and you need about 0.8mm balls for 0.6mm pad. But generally you use ball size according to stencil for the chip, if you have one. But as I said before, it's pointless to reball/repair the pads except as a training exercise because it's irreversibly dead.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 12:07:21 pm by wraper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf