Author Topic: Good looking PCBs  (Read 10115 times)

Offline robotix3Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Good looking PCBs
« on: September 24, 2016, 03:54:58 pm »
Is there a reasonably priced low-volume PCB manufacturer that I can get PCBs that look like this?

I've been looking at too many teardowns and now I need my projects to look like this lol... Been using PCBway, oshPark and Seeed. They're great and all but none come close to these sort of PCBs. Is this a high-volume only thing? I'm interested in the soldermask texture/color btw.

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Good looking PCBs
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 04:03:59 pm »
Several manufacturers, including PCBWay and Seeed, offer black soldermask - usually for an extra $10 or so. As always, go to PCBShopper.com, enter your board's specs, specify the soldermask color you want, and see prices and delivery times from up to 27 different PCB manufacturers. (Disclosure: I run PCBShopper.)

- Bob

The following users thanked this post: Philfreeze, Teti

Offline robotix3Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 04:39:35 pm »
PCBWay and seeeds black soldermask is too opaque compared to the image I posted, as well as not being matte. And the image I posted is more grey.

Offline ar__systems

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 06:37:42 pm »
We ordered black mask boards from Elecrow. They are fine, although silkscreen is rasterized.

Offline ar__systems

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 06:40:06 pm »
black soldermask is too opaque compared to the image I posted, as well as not being matte. And the image I posted is more grey.
Well now that's just being ridiculous :)

It is nice to have pretty looking boards, but at the end of the day that does not affect functionality in any way.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 09:28:06 pm »
I wasn't thrilled with how the matte boards I ordered from elecrow turned out after the extra $20 charge.  The silkscreen wasn't nearly as bright and was a bit choppy though elecrow did make it right by adding some credit to my account for my next order.  You can get their shiny black for no extra charge and it looks very nice, but is shiny.

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 06:12:20 am »
Matte black solder mask requires different process at a higher cost, but it offers better anti-bridging capability. This process is usually reserved for fine pitch BGA/QFN and/or HDI boards.

Really? My experience with boards that have black soldermask is that the solder seems to "stick" to the soldermask. Like if you sweep over the surface with a soldering iron which has solder in it you will get a streak of solder on the soldermask. It will come off easily and hasn't seemed to affect the reflow process but just something I noticed. These boards are not low cost chinese ones btw., don't know how much difference between manufacturers there is.
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 06:50:31 am »
PCBWay and seeeds black soldermask is too opaque compared to the image I posted, as well as not being matte. And the image I posted is more grey.
Was that regular black or matte black specified? Matte black is available at pcbway but is more expensive than regular one.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:00:51 am by wraper »

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 07:14:01 am »
Ye gods, I hate black solder mask.  Can't wait for this goofy trend to run its course.

Offline Foxtrot_Bravo

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 02:32:19 am »
Is there a reasonably priced low-volume PCB manufacturer that I can get PCBs that look like this?

I've been looking at too many teardowns and now I need my projects to look like this lol... Been using PCBway, oshPark and Seeed. They're great and all but none come close to these sort of PCBs. Is this a high-volume only thing? I'm interested in the soldermask texture/color btw.
5pcb.com -- both shiney and flat black, no extra charges.
We've been using them for many years, including paste masks, and recently trying them out on assembly. Very good value, fast, good plating ( each order includes an encapsulated cross section of inspection).

I also prefer the black or blue masks.

Frank

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

Offline technotronix

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 01:33:51 pm »
PCBWay is good, you may find it there. Also you can check here.
http://www.technotronix.us/pcb-design.html

Customized PCB manufacturer have over more than 40 years of experience in pcb manufacturing and assembly.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 04:21:12 pm »
Here are some PCBs that I ordered from  http://www.silvercircuits.com prototype run. You can only specify a black mask for their production boards.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Good looking PCBs
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 11:10:42 pm »
Ye gods, I hate black solder mask.  Can't wait for this goofy trend to run its course.

Trend? It must be a *very* long running trend, because I've seen matte black boards in gear since at least the mid-80's!

Compaq, 1987:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline TheRevva

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 08:29:17 pm »

Trend? It must be a *very* long running trend, because I've seen matte black boards in gear since at least the mid-80's!
That's NOT black...  It's just VERY VERY VERY dark white!!! <Grins>

Offline richardlawson1489

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 06:50:51 am »
Have you tried to find out good looking PCB from pcbshoppers? Also, you can contact any PCB Manufacturer with your requirements.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf