Author Topic: ALLPCB = PCBWAY??? yet another shell.  (Read 17618 times)

Online wraperTopic starter

• Supporter
ALLPCB = PCBWAY??? yet another shell.
« on: November 25, 2017, 12:30:57 pm »
As many know, allpcb in the past was offering PCBs from several different fabs. And then they supposedly became independent manufacturer and offered only their own service. I never ordered from them but today I ordered stencil because of the huge shipping discount promotion. What's the catch you think? I downloaded an invoice from their website and it's the same company as pcbway  :clap:.

So apparently it is as follows:

allpcb
pcbway
3pcb
pcbgogo
anything JDBpcb / HK WEIKU TECHNOLOGY

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:34:51 pm by wraper »

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
Re: ALLPCB = PCBWAY??? yet another shell.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 02:20:54 pm »
No, we are not the same, just receive our money to the same bank account  :-DD.
It could be just an intermediate company that deals with international money transfers.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 03:58:05 pm »
No, we are not the same, just receive our money to the same bank account  :-DD.
It could be just an intermediate company that deals with international money transfers.
HK WEIKU TECHNOLOGY in not intermediate money transfer company, it's PCBway itself. IMO if it was independent company from the beginning, then it got bought by PCBway. Anyway, I sent a PM to Anson asking to comment about this.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:18:39 pm by wraper »

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 04:18:10 pm »
Could well be after PCBWay got a bad reputation because of the spamming. Reputation is everything in this cutthroat market. However, allpcb.com is an older domain than pcbway.com by over a year. Doesn't prove anything, of course.

I have done an ALLPCB order this week and there is up to $20 coupon available if you post a link recommending ALLPCB.com on some high traffic website and they can verify it is there. So at least the motivation for spam is there:

You can earn $1-20 cash coupon if you share your purchase experience in hot site(our website must be included). Welcome to share !

I hope it will not go the same way and if they are, indeed, PCBWay, they have learned their lesson. With their current shipping prices for the basic prototype boards they are by far the cheapest and fastest, it would be stupid to ruin that.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:24:20 pm by janoc »

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 04:25:45 pm »
HK WEIKU TECHNOLOGY in not intermediate money transfer company, it's PCBway itself. IMO if it was independent company from the beginning, then it got bought by PCBway. Anyway, I sent a PM to Anson asking to comment about this.
Then I don't get it. What's the point for them to have two different representations, which directly compete with each other? Unless it's some kind of holding company - but even than it doesn't make sense from marketing standpoint. It's easier to promote one brand as opposed to two. Something isn't right here...

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 04:30:36 pm »
Then I don't get it. What's the point for them to have two different representations, which directly compete with each other? Unless it's some kind of holding company - but even than it doesn't make sense from marketing standpoint. It's easier to promote one brand as opposed to two. Something isn't right here...
Even without allpcb, they have at least 3 websites targeted towards western buyers and it's already confirmed. Adding 4th does not make so much difference. Reason, you try somewhere else but still buy from them. Actually in city where I live, we have one internet provider hiding under 5 companies. Same cable, same people. Choose whichever you want  :).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:37:08 pm by wraper »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 05:36:59 pm »
They like to pivot a lot. AllPcb was a cheap and dirty offshoot from PcbWay targeted for internal market, but then they changed it to being fast and western-oriented.

I think it is just a scheme to kick start a new business - you share everything at first, and then go your own merry way. So this split does not look complete yet.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:41:22 pm by ataradov »
Alex

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 05:39:36 pm »
Then I don't get it. What's the point for them to have two different representations, which directly compete with each other?
Same reason why a lot of Chinese eBay sellers is actually the same seller - if one account screws up (with customer, or government officials), it can be safely closed and your shop will continue to operate under the remaining names. And then you just another one and give everyone a discount, so people learn about your new face.

I also makes it easier to experiment with  service/prices when you have many faces like this.
Alex

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 07:46:08 pm »
They are two different organisations, two different fabs.  A lot of sharing and the two owners are good friends.   Had this independently checked and visits made.

Yes, they still use the same bank account, which is weird,   I know.

Both are providing good service, relaibly and low cost.. What is to worry about?
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

The following users thanked this post: janoc

Offline Koen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 08:18:02 pm »
This has been raised and answered countless times on this forum.

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 03:29:03 am »
Why should I care about this?  I'm really trying to understand what difference it makes. It's not like they are colluding to keep the prices high. If anything they've never been this low.

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 10:18:49 am »
Why should I care about this?  I'm really trying to understand what difference it makes. It's not like they are colluding to keep the prices high. If anything they've never been this low.
Quiet simple. Say, you are not completely satisfied with the service or want to find some alternative source just in case you'll need it. Which you can use if quality of the first service drops or you need an urgent order made from 2 different places because you won't have a time to fix if something goes wrong. If you are fooled by 2 faces of the same, you won't have an alternative. And if you were not satisfied with the service, you'll pay them yet again and likely will face the same issues after some time. From my experience I can say that pcbway is far from perfect, although very fast. So I still occasionally use it if need things done fast.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 06:31:43 pm »
So you are saying that because they are the same company, I shouldn't use them at all?  Still not sure what you think I should do differently.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 06:33:07 pm »
So you are saying that because they are the same company, I shouldn't use them at all?  Still not sure what you think I should do differently.
No, you need to keep them in mind when considering backup strategies. You may be under the impression that you have many backup options, while you really have none.
Alex

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 06:44:23 pm »
Well, I'm pretty sure that OSHPark isn't part of the PCB triad so there is at least one option for the little guy.

So far though, the various *PCB* companies seem to be clamoring for my business so the theoretical dark clouds have not yet obscured the sun. Anything can happen but I'm not going to be losing any sleep over it.

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 07:16:49 pm »
Well, I'm pretty sure that OSHPark isn't part of the PCB triad so there is at least one option for the little guy.

So far though, the various *PCB* companies seem to be clamoring for my business so the theoretical dark clouds have not yet obscured the sun. Anything can happen but I'm not going to be losing any sleep over it.
OSH park is not a replacement fur such services as PCBway. You can expect better quality, but no choice for resist color, not suitable if you need more than a few small PCBs. Slow, if you are outside of US, even worse. Very limited special options, even slotted holes in pads are not officially supported. What is important is having true alternatives. It's disappointing if you spent time and money trying different service just to find out you was deceived to order from the same place multiple times.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 07:21:33 pm »

OSH park is not a replacement fur such services as PCBway. You can expect better quality, but no choice for resist color, not suitable if you need more than a few small PCBs. Slow, if you are outside of US, even worse. Very limited special options, even slotted holes in pads are not officially supported. What is important is having true alternatives. It's disappointing if you spent time and money trying different service just to find out you was deceived to order from the same place multiple times.

So, you would be fine if you had PCBway and Allpcb, because they are seperate companys with seperate fabs ( which are about 2500km apart ), with differnet owners?

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 07:29:00 pm »
So, you would be fine if you had PCBway and Allpcb, because they are seperate companys with seperate fabs ( which are about 2500km apart ), with differnet owners?
Yes

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 08:06:33 pm »
Yes

So we can put this whole thread to bed now, since you know that they are seperate?  Yes, they have some shared history, people who were invovled with PCBWAY are now with ALLPCB, and  they have a common payment method.

Its been done to death.

Offline SMdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 04:27:45 am »
Allpcb is definately different to pcb way.

On one of my orders a while back, I exceeded their specifications for minimum clearance and they could not build the boards, so refunded my money. I then got those boards same boards made by pcbway, though, next time I will try ourpcb as their pricing was better than the adjusted pcbway pricing.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 12:33:34 pm »
Maybe different but just yesterday one of their staffers spammed pretty much every single electronics related reddit  promoting their shipping discount :(

Different but same at the same time :(

Offline SMdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 01:17:11 pm »
Maybe different but just yesterday one of their staffers spammed pretty much every single electronics related reddit  promoting their shipping discount :(

Different but same at the same time :(
Well, I guess like any business, they do need to promote themselves in order to keep their income coming in. If they don't get enough turnover, one would have to guess that the free shipping will be off the table.

At least they don't charge extra and then hold you ransom for a good review. How many newbies have you seen on here and everywhere else stating how wonderful their pcb's are, just so they can get a "free" $$ coupon? Heck, 2/3 of the pcb's could have been crap and they still would have given a positive review just for the "free" $$.

Did the staff member go on pretending to be an end user, or were they open about being staff? Staff pretending to be an end user is a bit of a low act.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 07:23:59 pm »
Well, I guess like any business, they do need to promote themselves in order to keep their income coming in. If they don't get enough turnover, one would have to guess that the free shipping will be off the table.

Promotion is one thing,  spamming of forums another. You don't need to resort to spam to promote your product/service. Why not to buy ads, for example? Of course, spam doesn't cost anything ...

Did the staff member go on pretending to be an end user, or were they open about being staff? Staff pretending to be an end user is a bit of a low act.

They left the company contact/e-mail. But regardless of that, it is spam and against the rules there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf