Author Topic: Owon SDS8202  (Read 6203 times)

Offline Sensor GeekTopic starter

• Contributor
Owon SDS8202
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:53:15 am »
In the near future I should have more to report (tell me what you want to see/hear), but I just wanted to say that while so far it looks good, I'm not pleased with the fan or backlight noise. As others have reported, there is an audible noise when the display is set to less than 100% and the fan is too loud. Sounds like a dying CPU fan in an old PC overlaying the shrill flyback noise of a 70's TV set.

In the following audio file, I start with a power on, at 0:06 the relays click, at 0:11 the PWM noise from the backlight begins, (cut several seconds of me fiddling with menus).. at 0:20 the display backlight is alternated from 100% to 80% and back several times. The PWM noise is unmistakable.

Small MP3 file:
http://sharesend.com/midwf

The display is wonderful. Functionality, while maybe not idiot-proof, is pretty easy to follow. I've yet to crack the manual and have been lost only once. This model has both VGA and Ethernet, neither of which I've tried.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
Re: Owon SDS8202
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:47:26 pm »
hmm I just got mine last week - and I do not have any backlight noise - and fan noise is very low.

Offline Sensor GeekTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Owon SDS8202
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:39:01 pm »
The backlight noise is very quiet, and in fact didn't even realize it was happening until someone else mentioned it. So that's not a problem, but the fan noise was obvious from the beginning. Although, maybe if the fan goes quiet, the backlight noise will be more pronounced. Let's hope not.

I'm in the US and ordered it from China, so now I'm on the fence as to whether I should crack it open and fix the fan, probably voiding warranty, or send the thing on a round trip and be without a scope for who-knows-how-long.

Anyway, I've yet to see any thorough reviews of this model, so I'll post what I can about it, provided I don't kill it fixing the fan. If nothing else, photos of the guts if/when I crack it open.

Offline Axel1973

• Regular Contributor
    • Axel Werners Open Source Knowledge Base
Owon SDS8202 == PeakTech 1260
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 01:52:57 pm »
i cannot add much to this post, but

i lately found out that the mentioned OWON SDS8202 oscilloscope is also sold under the name of "PeakTech 1260" .

PeakTech as i know it, is provider of pretty much "low end" or "cheap" equipments. i never seen some high quality stuff coming from them. so even i did consider to buy me an OWON osci, now that i know its also selling as PeakTech is absolutely NO OPTION to me anymore!

c ya

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf