Author Topic: Project Enclosures  (Read 7943 times)

Offline mitpattersonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Project Enclosures
« on: January 06, 2011, 06:36:57 pm »
****Not sure if this is the right section, if not can a moderator move it****

Ok, so i shop at radio shack on occasion, i know GASP, i don't have one too close so its not too often, and most of the time its to do one of a few things:
  • Kill time(like waiting on someone to something at the mall when i got drug along there)
  • see if they have anything i haven't seen before(like they had a Paralax(sp) RFID reader kit for like $8, i think most stores have sold out by now)
  • Or the thing i get the most there, are Project enclosures/boxes, also called "hobby boxes"(and sometimes i will get some perf board or some items i can't find easily online) and this brings me to the point of this post:

The reason i buy them them there in person, is i can see the size of the box and stuff, which i have trouble with with items online, sure they give dimesions and stuff but it's hard for me to visualize the size. So my quetion is, for those who have bought project boxes at radioshack(mostly the US i belive, sorry to everyone else) have you then found similar boxes online at places such as mouser or Digikey? as i have troulbe finding ones that are similar in size and design(screw on lid ect). If you have found any before, do you have a product number or link?

and yes, i know that radioshack sels them from their online store, its just i don't want to have to pay for shipping(or their already high prices) and for those who may not know exactly what i'm talking about here is there line up of project enclosures: http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032276

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Project Enclosures
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 06:48:57 pm »
they are reasonably common sized boxes, most large outlets should have them, also depends on your location, in the UK we have farnell, RS, rapidonline and a few other small online stores, we do have digikey but they don't tend to be cheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 07:02:14 pm »
they are reasonably common sized boxes, most large outlets should have them, also depends on your location, in the UK we have farnell, RS, rapidonline and a few other small online stores, we do have digikey but they don't tend to be cheap
For me, the closes "electonics store" if radio shack counts is radio shack about 20-30 miles away, i live kinda in the "sticks" so mail/online order is what i mostly do.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:03:55 pm »
Presumably your in the USA ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:16:15 pm »
Presumably your in the USA ?
yep(ohio to be presise)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:49:51 pm »
i thought this is the older thread.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:56:11 pm »
i thought this is the older thread.
Huh? i just started this today

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:40:13 pm »
Huh? i just started this today
i thought is this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=592.msg6876#msg6876 but a bit of different topic when i look back.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 10:57:42 pm »
I often re-purpose enclosures purchased at Goodwill or other thrift stores.  With a little planning, they can look good and have a much better "feel" than cheap RadioShack boxes.  Here's an example of a computer switchbox put to a new use.

Some info about this project is here.

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 02:02:43 am »
Have fun searching:
Once you have found the manufacturer, check their list of distributors.

If you select a part number from a manufacturer you can drop it into Findparts.com just like you would a component number.
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 07:35:45 am »
Have fun searching:

If you select a part number from a manufacturer you can drop it into Findparts.com just like you would a component number.

findparts.com seems to be out of use and the domain is up for sale with the usual fake search site page up and adverts

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 01:45:16 pm »
Have fun searching:

findparts.com seems to be out of use and the domain is up for sale with the usual fake search site page up and adverts

Maybe because it is either findchips.com or octoparts.com
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 02:23:16 pm »
Yeah, my mistake.... http://www.findchips.com/
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf