Poll

Should there be some (optional) benefit for donors and major contributors?

Yes, and a private forum section is not a bad way to do it
41 (54.7%)
Yes, but I want some other method, don't use the forum
9 (12%)
No
25 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Supporters section?  (Read 26686 times)

Offline ivan747Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Supporters section?
« on: May 22, 2013, 02:57:47 am »
For split second I saw a button on the forum page saying something like "Supporters". For $25 you get access to a private section of the forum and private, exclusive videos. Dave, what's going on?  :scared:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=subscriptions
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:03:53 am by ivan747 »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Supporters section?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:32:28 am »
Yes, I am trying to setup a private supports section on the forum (but am having a few technical difficulties at present).
The idea is that the people who want to donate get at least something in return. i.e. access to a section of the forum that regular members don't.
What use is that? I don't really know yet, but I could maybe posts some behind the scenes/update videos or something, have discount coupons for stuff or something like that  :-//
Note that this is NOT the "extra paid content" I've been thinking about, it's just a benefit for those who donate.

Those who don't wish to donate, you haven't lost anything.

As always, comments invited.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:22:32 am »
Well I just paid up so we'll see soon enough :)
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:36:08 am »

I'd better post something in there then!  ;D
So it all worked fine and you now have access to the section?
It seems I've got it working now. Regular members and guests will see the section exists, but won't be able to access it.
Those with over 1000 posts should automatically get access also.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:40:24 am »

I'd better post something in there then!  ;D
So it all worked fine and you now have access to the section?
It seems I've got it working now. Regular members and guests will see the section exists, but won't be able to access it.
Those with over 1000 posts should automatically get access also.

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

The paypal transaction said it was via eCheck, odd because usually I just pull off some of the account balance
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 04:45:49 am »
"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

Hmm. It should have automatically changed your profile to "Supporter"...

The paypal transaction said it was via eCheck, odd because usually I just pull off some of the account balance

Hmm again, eCheck usually takes days to process.

I can't see you (or anyone) in the subscriptions section, it's empty. But when I try to add you manually it says you are already subscribed.
Hmm, something ain't right.
I did just fix IPN notification in Paypal though, so maybe that was it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:57:39 am by EEVblog »

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 05:12:52 am »
Working now
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 05:15:02 am »
Working now

Yep, I see Supporter next to your name on the left there.
You still aren't showing up in the internal subscriber list though, crazy...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 05:18:28 am »
Ah, it had set your subscription to expire in 2005!  :wtf:  :-//
Fixed.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:06:47 am »
So all those who have contributed money in the past, those who have contributed much of their time and expertise to help you grow the forum, and those who cannot afford to pay do not get the benefit of this "private club"? Is this really fair? :wtf:

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 07:31:43 am »
So all those who have contributed money in the past, those who have contributed much of their time and expertise to help you grow the forum, and those who cannot afford to pay do not get the benefit of this "private club"? Is this really fair? :wtf:

If the information in the supporters section is over and above that which is currently available on the forum, I don't see a problem.
Existing users are not losing anything. Users will decide if the extra 'goodies' are considered worth contributing for.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 07:33:50 am »

No, it's not. That's why I said those who have made large contributions to the forum (1000+ posts) will automatically get added (about 35 people I think currently).
I also have not mentioned that those who have donated in the past will also get access, just let me know if you want it. I have no way to automatically correlate previous paypal donations to forum accounts.

So the questions comes down to do I offer nothing at all to those who have donated financially (and with large content contributions), or do I offer something?
And if I do offer them something, even if it's just token access to a "private" board on the forum, what's the threshold? Is it a thousand posts, 500?, 250? 100?, 50? Does the person at 900 posts, or 400 posts, or 200 feel like they are being left out?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 07:48:30 am »

Oh come on, only 48 more posts and you are in.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 07:55:47 am »
So, what I'm thinking is, what is the incentive? What are people supposed to talk about in the supporter forum? One benefit is that it's out of the way of curious and Googley eyes. But is that enough incentive? Talking about things without getting replies from "common idiots"? Gossiping out of public view? I guess time will tell what people will discuss.

I think at the very least, that supporters should be able to turn off the ads.
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 08:06:19 am »
So, what I'm thinking is, what is the incentive? What are people supposed to talk about in the supporter forum? One benefit is that it's out of the way of curious and Googley eyes. But is that enough incentive? Talking about things without getting replies from "common idiots"? Gossiping out of public view? I guess time will tell what people will discuss.

I don't really know if a private section in itself is an "incentive" or not, but at least it gives me a place to potentially offer something additional. e.g. I could upload the odd video of something and have it set private, the URL or which is only available in the private section. I could also have discount codes for merch or other products, or maybe even giveaways or something. Maybe show a project I'm working on that I wouldn't normally show to the general public yet?
The posting volume should also be low enough so that I'm able to read every post, unlike the rest of the forum with 600+ posts a day. So if you are a supporter and want to ask me something that would be the best place.
And I'm open to other suggestions.

I think at the very least, that supporters should be able to turn off the ads.

Yes, I agree. I'll see if that's possible. Off-hand I don't think so.

Offline Precisiontools

• Regular Contributor
    • PrecisionTools's Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 08:30:07 am »
Here's an incentive...how about we support someone who made the effort to bring us all together?

Offline ISmellBurning

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 08:32:30 am »
The first words on every page of this forum are as follows...

"EEVblog Electronics Community Forum ......    A FREE & OPEN Forum For Electronics Enthusiasts & Professionals"

Just saying, but with 'paid for, private' sections, you may feel the need to reword this.   ;)

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 08:33:06 am »
What about users that donate an amount every month?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 08:35:34 am »
Well, I paid. Not because of wanting access to all the secrets, but just because it was about time to make a small donation, and this is a good moment to do so  :)

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 09:35:33 am »
There are a variety of things I will be more forthcoming to talk about when it won't be spidered and indexed by Google.

Works in progress, more speicalized things, etc.. sure there are others too.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 09:38:10 am »
No, it's not. That's why I said those who have made large contributions to the forum (1000+ posts) will automatically get added (about 35 people I think currently).

Like Kiriakos-GR still our largest contributor?

So the questions comes down to do I offer nothing at all to those who have donated financially (and with large content contributions), or do I offer something?

When you offer something in return for a donation it becomes a payment. You won't attract payments without offering a lot and loose at least some of the 'feel-good' attraction of donating.

In the past it has annoyed the hell out of me to find a donation to the author of some freeware later turned into a payment by updates being made available only to doners. I deliberately didn't provide any forum profile with my donation so didn't even get access to the updates I had unknowingly paid for.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:06:20 am by Rufus »

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 09:41:33 am »

Like Kiriakos-GR?

Rules don't apply to banned users, that's why they get banned.   ;)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 10:23:05 am »
The first words on every page of this forum are as follows...
"EEVblog Electronics Community Forum ......    A FREE & OPEN Forum For Electronics Enthusiasts & Professionals"
Just saying, but with 'paid for, private' sections, you may feel the need to reword this.   ;)

Ok, so you have a better suggestion about how I can offer something for the donators and major contributors?
If so I'm all ears.
I thought a section on the forum would be a good idea because:
a) Many people already have account, no need to set up and account and visit somewhere else.
b) The forum software has the mechanism in place to do this already.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 10:24:30 am »
What about users that donate an amount every month?

Of course. If you are one of those contributors then drop me an email and I'll add you.
I don't have an automated way to know what contributors correspond to what forum accounts.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 10:26:08 am »
There are a variety of things I will be more forthcoming to talk about when it won't be spidered and indexed by Google.
Works in progress, more speicalized things, etc.. sure there are others too.

That could be one of the benefits I guess. Potentially get some technical feedback from a narrow group of people instead of going public.
I'm pretty sure that section will be hidden form the bots, but have no way to actually test this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf