Author Topic: Keithley, another one bites the ... Danaher  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Bored@WorkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Keithley, another one bites the ... Danaher
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:22:14 pm »
I just read a press release that Danaher bought Keithley. http://www.danaher.com/news/news_detail.asp?key=386

You don't know Danaher? Well, they own a few other companies, too. One is called Fluke. Another one they own is called Tektronix. They say they will make Keithley part of Tektronix. It will be interesting to see what will happen to Keithley's multimeter products.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Keithley, another one bites the ... Danaher
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:35:56 am »
The evil Danaher group strike again...

Dave.

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 02:38:37 am »
This is SUCH an invitation to rant ;)

I'm not sure what I think about this trend in business. It's maybe related in some big way to patents and how intellectual property law is taking shape in modern business, but on the other hand there does seem to be something "evil" in it.

There is a very similar thing that happened with cordless tools. Most of the tool companies buy their motors from Johnson and their batteries from Panasonic. Most of the tool companies are actually owned by one of a few conglomerates - Stanley owns Black and Decker which owns DeWalt, Delta, Porter-Cable etc.; TTI in Hong Kong owns Milwaukee, AEG, Ryobi etc.; Bosch owns something like 350 subsidiaries, and the list goes on. While there is definitely a trend towards more affordability with power tools, the downside is that to get truly great tools from an innovative company, you have to pay 2-3 times as much like Hilti, Festool or some other small specialized brands. Mostly the only difference between them at this point is whose Johnson is bigger.

If the same One World trend takes over in test equipment, the only real difference between brands will be which market segment the parent companies decide to conquer with which brand at what price range. Sad.
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:43:26 am »
The evil Danaher group strike again...
evil? more and more people are talking (or putting high) about Fluke and Tektronix stuffs?

This is SUCH an invitation to rant ;)
be careful... someone (not me) will just say... you always talk nonsense :o

Maybe this kind of news... just explained the Law of "Survival of the Fittest"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:52:36 am by shafri »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 03:00:59 am »
Maybe this kind of news... just explained the Law of "Survival of the Fittest"

It's survival of the richest.

Dave.

Offline slburris

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:35:56 am »

If the same One World trend takes over in test equipment, the only real difference between brands will be which market segment the parent companies decide to conquer with which brand at what price range. Sad.

So taking out all the China based general T&M companies, who is left that's not part of Danaher?

Hmm, Agilent, R&S, uh....thinking....still thinking

Anyone else?  There must be.

Scott

Offline Bored@WorkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 06:13:37 am »
evil? more and more people are talking (or putting high) about Fluke and Tektronix stuffs?

It is the other way around. Fluke and Tektronix acquired their solid reputation before they were bought by Danaher. It is not Danaher who build that reputation. They just spend a lot of money to buying these companies with their reputation.

Here is a Business Week article about Danaher from 2007 http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_08/b4022065.htm Also check the comments, where some people talk about what happened with Tektronix after Danaher bought them.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf