Author Topic: Flir One Android App with full Lepton sensor resolution 160x120  (Read 58864 times)

Offline tomas123Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Georg wrote the Flir One app "Thermal Camera" for Android, which uses the full resolution of the Lepton 3 sensor (160x120).
The Flir One App from Flir crops all images to a resolution of about 120x90 pixels (for MSX overlay and removing the distortion)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=georg.com.flironetest_01

manual: http://thermcam.binaryblogger.de/manualA/

Please test the app and write your questions here. I'm in contact with Georg.
He would be pleased about a positiv feedback in play store about his first app  ;) 

I posted here images for comparing the quality and FOV (field of view) between the Flir One App and real Lepton 3 Sensor resolution:
here is a real live sample (shot after a small warm up time of about 2 minutes):

It’s the same shot. Compare the different FOV (field of view)

I saved with the SDK.app simultaneously a upscaled Flir Radiometric JPG  and a real Lepton ThermalLinearFlux14BitImage.

Afterwards I rebuild with my old panorama script (see my footer) a real size 160x120 Lepton radiometric jpg (a Flir format).
You can load this sample jpg images in Flir Tools and compare the quality.

First a original image shot with the Flir App.
The App crop  >:(  the Lepton sensor to about 120x90 Pixel.
Please note the artefacts/patterns!
Flir makes a nice lens distortion correction of the Lepton sensor for best MSX overlaying  ;)

real  Lepton sensor 160x120 (no image postprocessing and with noise/grain because the temperature spread is only 4 Kelvin)

in this image I colored the crop range from the Flir One App:
with the images from simulator, there you can excat show the crop factor

I selected frame 50 from sampleframes.zip inside the SDK app

overlay from Lepton 160x120 with the Flir Radiometric JPG file

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:36:49 am by tomas123 »

Offline cynfab

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir One Android App with full Lepton sensor resolution 160x120
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 06:22:17 pm »
tomas123:
Very nice, congrats to Georg. emissivity is adjustable like it should have been on the Flir One App. Nicw selection of palettes.
It however doesn't seem to save to the Gallery on my Moto E and crashes when I try to save to the Flir Tools folder.
WIP to be sure but a great start.

...ken...

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 07:47:49 pm »
Great to see an alternative app for the Android version.

My thanks to the author for his efforts.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 08:31:37 pm »
Developer here.

cynfab:
When your app crashes, do you a error message, where you have a report button?
Looks like this:

If its there please press report, I'll than see the error log in my developer account. If it's not there, I can't help you. It's most likely a C typical crash that is coming from the Flir library. But don't give up hope. I'm right now trying of creating my own image saving routine. Tomas123 helped me there a lot, by translating his raw-image-data-into-jpg-injection from PHP to Java.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 08:52:44 pm »
It however doesn't seem to save to the Gallery on my Moto E and crashes when I try to save to the Flir Tools folder.
The Gallery is only a database.
You say, the app doesn't crash if you save to the regular folder.
Thermal Camera App saves the images to the /DCIM folder of your internal storage.
Please check it with a file browser or navigate to this folder with Flir Tools.

If you don't found the images /DCIM/ThermalCamera*.jpg then 
can you please install this original SDK app from my link below and check it again?
Please note, that this SDK app save the images to the folder /pictures (use mode Thermal Image).

I uploaded the self compiled SDK app for Android.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-11032220/FlirOneSDK.apk.html

P.S.: Do you have installed the Flir Tools?

Offline cynfab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 09:54:12 pm »
tomas123,
You are right of course, I just ran the Gallery app and didn't see any images. they are just where you stated ;>P

gansgar,
I pushed the report button and added the system logs. Hope you figure it out.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT APP!!!

...ken...

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 10:27:30 pm »
I shall load this on to my Motorola Moto G Mk1 and Moto E Mk2 tomorrow.

Thanks again

Fraser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 10:36:41 pm »
@cynfab
My pleasure!

Can you post a nice sample as screenshot of the "Flir One App" and "Georgs Thermal Camera" to show the difference?
I'm yet the only poster who darns the crop factor, "noise filter" and forced MSX of the Flir One App.

Did you see, that George used your great Iron/Gray Palette?   ;)

PS: You can change the gamma of the live image with a vertical slider (touch on the image).

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 10:58:12 pm »
Ok I loaded up the app on my Moto G Mk1 and Moto E Mk2

Immediate impressions are very good. Most notable is a significant improvement in the frame rate on both of the phones. Much better than the FLIR app that is very laggy and has a rotten frame rate.

Only a quick test but what I saw I very much like. I like the option to enable and disable the visible light camera image. So pleased to now have the capability to image without MSX and its associated noise at low light levels.

Nice work :)

Fraser

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 12:12:22 am »
Thank you. And that it works better on your phone than in the Flir One App is not only good news, but also impressive. They do all the fancy calculations in binary code and I do them in Java. :D

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 12:27:54 am »
Cool, but it has a major problem, my usage of it depends on NOT having visible light MSX mixed in with the image. I'd love to have an app that did just one very simple task, saved the raw 14bpp 160x120 image into a 16bit grayscale TIF image file at the tap of a button. It would be a very simple app, display an auto-levels adjusted (scaled so the highest value was white, and the lowest value was black) image to the screen so you can see what you are looking at, but save the raw image (without any scaling applied, just raw 14 bit values put into the 16 bit pixels, with the remaining 2 bits being 0 for padding to make the values be 16bit aligned) to an image file that supports the high bitdepth, namely a TIF file.

Of course not many image editing programs support 16bit images, but Photoshop does, and it will be my primary software for viewing these images.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 12:34:00 am »
The FLIR app was written and tuned to perform as well as the iPhone version when using the F1G2 Android on a Samsung S5. Anything less powerful will suffer a lower frame rate.

My quick and dirty test was to pan the camera let and right whilst watching the image. On the FLIR app the image became a real mess. Your app kept up with the panning well and did not make an ugly mess of the images produced. Most impressive.

There has been previous comment from people on this forum who understand coding (I do not) that the coding in the FLIR app leaves much to be desired in terms of efficiency. I believe someone reverse engineered the original FLIR ONE iOS App and found it severily wanting in the coding quality area.

FLIR may not have the most experienced coders on the FLIR ONE iOS/Android project. It is a deviation from the usual Linux and WindowsCE used on their other cameras. The new consumer camera division may not have the knowledge of the original Industrial and Pro-sumer divisions.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:35:57 am by Fraser »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 12:45:12 am »
@Ben321,

I may be missing something here but I did not see MSX active on my images whilst using this app. It does not meet your simple 16 Bit TIFF requirement, but at least there is no MSX making life difficult when using a close up lens for PCB work :) FLIR consciously enforced MSX image overlaying on the image and have no intention of providing an off button. This app solves that niggle for me.

Fraser

Offline Redshift1340

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 01:37:50 am »
I've been waiting a long time for someone to create an app that allows use of the full F1G2 resolution of 160x120.  I unfortunately have the iOS version though.  Is anyone working on compiling the same type of app for iOS? I can't do it myself using the SDK because I have no programming experience and don't have an apple computer to compile it even if I could.  I thought for sure I'd see it in the AppStore by now, but so far, nothing. 

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 01:59:55 am »
You can switch between my renderer and the original Flir SDK one (see attachment). The app has basically behind every thing in the layout an action. I will build a small manual in the future.

Also: I think about saving the image in also in an RAW form. An approach is here: http://developer.flir.com/forums/topic/samsung-s7-slow-and-glitchy-stock-app-why-also-a-kind-of-work-around/

But I wanted to bring the app into public with some features and extend on it with updates, before you go into the opposite direction as your audience wants it to be.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:14:25 am by gansgar »

Offline Redshift1340

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 02:26:32 am »
Has anyone at least compiled the FLIROneSDK sample app for iOS? I would love to at least be able to use that so I can use the ThermalLinearFlux14BitImage option.  If anyone has, can You please post it to the AppStore?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 11:44:21 am »
Wow, major revelation for me....... This app works on my Intel Atom based Android HUDL 2 tablet ! Excellent imaging on a decent sized screen.

The FLIR app does not work with Atom based Android platforms and FLIR have stated that they do not intend to make their app compatible with The Atom processor.

This is a MAJOR improvement in the usability of the F1G2 for me. Presumably this is due to the app being written in Java

I shall create a new post highlighting this excellent Android Atom platform solution so others see it.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:15:30 pm by Fraser »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 12:17:33 pm »
That is lucky.
Android itself can actually emulate other architectures. So can armv7 binarycode run on x86 Androids. But it seems like, that the Flir SDK Code is trash. I had yesterday a bug report from an Iconia Tab 8 (intel processors), which couldn't run the Flir SDK even when it theoretical could. I know that, because the Play Store is automatically not showing the app to incompatible devices.

But it seems like, that some Intels can actually run it.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 12:29:57 pm »
Here are some 'quick and dirty' pictures of my HUDL2 running your App and producing a very nice image.

I am using the F1G2 on an OTG Micro USB extension cable so can use the camera remote from the tablet. this is great for using the camera in tight spaces like in a cars engine compartment  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:25:46 pm by Fraser »

Offline Spike101

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 04:47:23 pm »
Nice app, thanks! much better than the original. It's my new auto-start app when the cam is connected  :-+

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 10:20:29 pm »
Small little update to fix some bugs. I also added a small dialog box, when your device architecture doesn't support the app and I changed the way the min / max overlay (long press on the min / max temperature) works. They're now influencing the range too.

Offline mangler

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 02:14:04 am »
I just downloaded the app. Looks like great improvements vs the Flir app. When I get the camera I am going straight with it. Good work!

Weird thing, I used the link in the thread to download, but without the link it's quite hard to find the app on the playstore. I used "thermal camera" as keywords and it appears on the 4th line! Behind terrible apps, some without "the words thermal or camera in the title! Did I just forget to toggle "relevance" in my playstore results?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:50:03 am by mangler »

Offline mangler

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 03:01:52 am »
Finally got the Flir One G2, and tried this app. It's pretty awesome. Love the lockable scale, the battery meter with an actual percentage, the msx toggle. I did get the the app to freeze a  few times when going to the settings menu and back (stops recognizing the camera), but it's nothing a camera and app restart could not fix.

Seems the only thing the Flir app has that I can't find on this app is the msx parallax compensation at close range. I am guessing the "object distance" might be of assistance, but the slider on the Flir version is quite slick, as you can just glide until both the thermal and visible outline coincide.

Also, what is "Reflected Apparent Temperature"?

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 04:06:10 am »
I want to implement the MSX slider later. I found that the gamma regulation adds more function to the common gesture of sliding up & down) than MSX can do it. But I will implement it in next update or so.

The "Reflected Apparent Temperature" is essentially a fancy name for the ambient temperature. But please don't type in commas so far. It will read the number without the decimal point, which results into  buggy behavior: example
275.15K -> 27515.0K

Object distance has no influence YET. What it does theoretical: is correcting the temperature from the influence of the air. The bigger the distance between the camera and the object, as bigger gets the influence and the need for correction.

In the next big update I will implement some picture enhancement algorithms like super resolution or exponential smoothing and properly also a control over the MSX overlapping.

As an attachment you can see, what difference exponential smoothing can have on a still image with small temperature range!
...00.jpg is without
...01.jpg is with exponential smoothing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf