Author Topic: Your Experience on LCR Meter DER EE DE-5000 / Hantek 1833C  (Read 7038 times)

Offline andymokTopic starter

• Contributor
Your Experience on LCR Meter DER EE DE-5000 / Hantek 1833C
« on: March 21, 2022, 08:37:31 pm »
I am considering getting a LCR Meter (being very new on this) and have been doing research on DE-5000 and 8813C.  While we all know DE-5000 is a legend, I realize people talk so little about Hantek 1833C, most of them are open boxes.  I see comments saying 1833C is fancier, having extras frequencies, extended low capacitance range and different measuring levels, are they any useful at all? 

I would like to understand more about your real life experience on these machines, anything like or dislike, grateful if you can share.  Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 09:24:15 pm by andymok »

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Your Experience on LCR Meter DER EE DE-5000 / Hantek 1833C
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 10:16:15 am »
I am considering getting a LCR Meter (being very new on this) and have been doing research on DE-5000 and 8813C.  While we all know DE-5000 is a legend, I realize people talk so little about Hantek 1833C, most of them are open boxes.  I see comments saying 1833C is fancier, having extras frequencies, extended low capacitance range and different measuring levels, are they any useful at all? 

I would like to understand more about your real life experience on these machines, anything like or dislike, grateful if you can share.  Thanks!  :)

1. Hantek 1833C requires the latest FW!!!

2. using the above 1833C requires for SMD additional tools, while crocodile will not work, so China & ALi is near

3. Have a clear requirements about low SMD cap's (1pF) and inductor's as RF (BF for 1Mhz...xxxMHz) one will fail..

just my 2 cents

Hp

Offline dietermontanez

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 07:48:58 am »
Does anybody know how to make the Windows app (Ver. 1.07) work with Windows 10.
The video says it requires some fideling but does not elaborate.
What do I need to do?

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 04:53:34 pm »
try the software compatibility modes in the file properties,  im running very old aps  with this mode

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: David Aurora, Warhawk

Offline David Aurora

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 11:01:15 pm »
I've had the DE-5000 for a while now, I'm still on the fence about it for my needs. For detailed measurement/sorting/etc it's quite good. For troubleshooting in a repair shop it's painfully slow. About once a week I hit a point where I want to throw it in the bin and go back to using my old Silicon Chip/Bob Parker ESR meter instead.

The main issue is that it boots into auto mode by default which locks out half the buttons, so you need to cycle through a bunch of different buttons to get where you want to be every time you turn it on. Then it times out and turns off if you stop to scratch your head for 13 nanoseconds and you have to do it all again. It would be so nice if you could store your own default settings or tell it to boot into the last used settings or something, or change the auto off time, etc.

I've also never managed to get it to successfully calibrate to a regular set of probes so I'm stuck using Kelvin clips clumsily for every single reading. Again, not the end of the world, but clunky in practice. Measurements can be pretty slow too, a lot of times if I'm trying to work fast I end up just grabbing something else.

So yeah, I think it really depends on what exactly you intend to use it for.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, eevbstedt, Trader, rernexy

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 11:11:48 pm »
I have no experience with the Hantek.
With the DE-5000, I've learned to live with the boot-up idiosyncrasies mentioned above.
My calibrations, though, are very successful.  Every time I measure a lab-standard capacitor, my results are quite accurate for such a reasonably-priced unit.
For low-accuracy quick results, I use the supplied alligators on short leads (4 terminal connection up to the clips) or (worse) a pair of 18" long leads to grabbers from the DE-5000 banana jacks.
For higher accuracy, I bought some extra alligator fixtures and replaced the wiring to BNCs or binding posts or Kelvin clips.
My only real problem, though, is sometimes the circuit I am measuring that looks like a capacitor (or inductor) is actually inductive (or capacitive) at the test frequency, but the meter indicates positive capacitance (or inductance).
I would prefer that it show negative capacitance, since I can easily deal with that.  In that case, I would prefer a display in terms of resistance/reactance or admittance/susceptance, like some expensive bench meters have.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 11:14:18 pm by TimFox »

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 06:06:19 am »
I got 1 of the cheap Mastech ones, or a knock off of one. And I can't complain, since it sure beats trying to measure it all myself on the scope. They are similar to the DE5000, but bigger, but the screen is huge tho, so I guess.

Maybe next year I will get a better, more compact model. They get expensive fast tho.

Offline philwong5176

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 05:15:52 pm »
I recently received my Hantek 1833c. I need a Kelvin Clip but found nothing in their website.

Does anybody know which Kelvin Clip models works with this meter?

Also:
I am aware I could plug this meter into a PC, but what software could I use to interface with the meter?

Yes I emailed the company, heard NOTHING back.  :(

Offline Marko56

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 04:26:30 am »
AliExpress has UNI-T Kelvin Clip sets with clip and tweezer models. I paid ~$45 CDN for the clip version ( UTR-L100K-H) IIRC the tweezers were $65CDN.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 06:50:54 am »
I recently received my Hantek 1833c. I need a Kelvin Clip but found nothing in their website.

Does anybody know which Kelvin Clip models works with this meter?

Also:
I am aware I could plug this meter into a PC, but what software could I use to interface with the meter?

Yes I emailed the company, heard NOTHING back.  :(

They have an +/- 200 mb software download ??

http://www.hantek.com/products/detail/16180

oh  their download speed  is sloooooooooooooooooooooow    pff  loll

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 01:18:44 am »
Can anyone who has the Hantek measure a resistor at the 100KHz frequency? I have an ET342 that measures significantly low, and since the Hantek appears to share a very similar design, I am curious if it has this same issue.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 02:29:14 am »
I would prefer that it show negative capacitance, since I can easily deal with that.  In that case, I would prefer a display in terms of resistance/reactance or admittance/susceptance, like some expensive bench meters have.

Does it not have the option of simply displaying Z and Ø ?  This is where I go with my LCR meter when results are unstable or unexpected.  If the readings don't make sense and Z is very high or very low you then know to try a different frequency, level or mode.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2023, 03:11:35 pm »
1 Megohm resistor shows as about 500k at 100kHz serial mode

"X" shows as about 450k - maybe you need to add the two together? - wild guess - I have no understanding

Parallel mode shows about 900k Ohms with 100kHz

100Hz gives probably correct value of 980k Ohms in any mode

Hantek 1833C

The following users thanked this post: NoMoreMagicSmoke

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2023, 05:43:42 pm »
The DE-5000 (bracket value from Hioki IM3536) for a 1/8w leaded 1% 1M metal film shows:

DCR of 1.0015M (1.00188M)
Rp @ 100KHz 1.0016M (1.00102M)

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: NoMoreMagicSmoke

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2023, 05:46:41 pm »
The high-frequency behavior of resistors depends greatly on the internal construction.
For old-fashioned A-B carbon composition resistors, the talc grains mixed with the carbon particles "short out" the carbon capacitively at high frequency, so that the equivalent parallel resistance is surprisingly low.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2023, 06:07:00 pm »
One thing I like about the DE-5000 is that the accessories are readily available, so for instance another set of the short Kelvin sensed clips can be purchased and then converted into a long set with coaxial cables.

I would not mind having a low frequency VNA for component measurement but until then, the DR-5000 has been outstanding for me.

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2023, 06:10:11 pm »
One thing I like about the DE-5000 is that the accessories are readily available, so for instance another set of the short Kelvin sensed clips can be purchased and then converted into a long set with coaxial cables.

sounds like a fantastic idea... not sure how to do though? any guidance or help on this matter very much appreciated

edit:

or can we make from scratch? for example with a pcb to insert into the slot at riight angle. then solder to that perhaps with a 2nd joining board at 90 degrees. maybe things like this should be possible? although idk if it is really worth it instead versus modifying an existing tl-21 like you say

also debating whether or not to get a 2nd  nother tl-21 initially. or just sacrifice the one it came with.... and then if ever change mind can order another one to get that stock version back again

so really the question is do i make by purchaing other existing coal kalvin clips pre made. or make from pieces of coax. to then solder some probe handles which is more custom or something than an off the shelf pair of kalvin leads

or you know, to make some bnc termination onto as an adapter making from the existing tl-21. that can plug in unmodified kalvin probes of other brands of esr meters
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 06:18:40 pm by dreamcat4 »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2023, 06:41:06 pm »

sounds like a fantastic idea... not sure how to do though? any guidance or help on this matter very much appreciated

edit:

or can we make from scratch? for example with a pcb to insert into the slot at riight angle. then solder to that perhaps with a 2nd joining board at 90 degrees. maybe things like this should be possible? although idk if it is really worth it instead versus modifying an existing tl-21 like you say

also debating whether or not to get a 2nd  nother tl-21 initially. or just sacrifice the one it came with.... and then if ever change mind can order another one to get that stock version back again.

After I bought my DE-5000, I picked up a second TL-21 just so I would have the hardware to make a second set of more useful Kelvin probes.  The TL-21 provides access to the 2 force connections, the 2 sense connections, and 1 ground/shield connection.

Moving interrupted this project so I have not finished it, but my plan is to run 2 thin coaxial cables to each clip, with 1 for force, 1 for sense, and the shields connected to the ground/shield connection.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2023, 06:46:08 pm »
Here's something that folks might find interesting.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/de-5000-lcr-tl-21-mod/msg4754858/#msg4754858

If you deal with SMDs, the modded TL-21 with BNC connectors and a SMD fixture like shown works really well.

Best,
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 07:10:28 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2023, 02:33:08 am »
The high-frequency behavior of resistors depends greatly on the internal construction.
For old-fashioned A-B carbon composition resistors, the talc grains mixed with the carbon particles "short out" the carbon capacitively at high frequency, so that the equivalent parallel resistance is surprisingly low.

Good point. I should have specified the type of resistors. I tested my ET432 with a precision metal film resistor, which measures perfect on a DE-5000 at 100KHz, but is 1.8% low at 100KHz on the ET432.

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2023, 02:35:05 am »
1 Megohm resistor shows as about 500k at 100kHz serial mode

"X" shows as about 450k - maybe you need to add the two together? - wild guess - I have no understanding

Parallel mode shows about 900k Ohms with 100kHz

100Hz gives probably correct value of 980k Ohms in any mode

Hantek 1833C

What type of resistor did you test? As others have said, a carbon resistor dropping is expected, but a metal film should not have an appreciable drop at 100KHz.

My ET432 has all sorts of problems in the MOhm range as well. I suspect this is because the highest range resistor internally is only 100K, whereas a meter like the DE-5000 includes a 1MOhm range resistor.

Offline hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2023, 07:11:54 am »

What type of resistor did you test? .

Cheap nasty 0.25 Watt 5% resistor from a bundle offer many years ago

I have no idea what the construction would be

I have no other high value resistors to try

I have low expectations of the Hantek LCR meter and the resistor. Both are good enough for hobby use  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 08:17:52 am by hexreader »

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2023, 05:18:05 pm »

What type of resistor did you test? .

Cheap nasty 0.25 Watt 5% resistor from a bundle offer many years ago

I have no idea what the construction would be

I have no other high value resistors to try

I have low expectations of the Hantek LCR meter and the resistor. Both are good enough for hobby use  :)

So probably a carbon resistor. Ok. A dropoff in resistance is probably normal for that resistor then.

Thanks for testing though!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf