Author Topic: Where to buy the Siglent SDS1202X in Asutralia  (Read 6230 times)

Offline ChristarakTopic starter

Where to buy the Siglent SDS1202X in Asutralia
« on: September 30, 2019, 05:43:55 am »
Greetings. I'm a fan of Dave's YouTube videos and have just discovered and joined this forum.
I'm in Australia, and I would like to update my Jaycar colour DSO to the Siglent SDS1202X, but I can't find anywhere to buy it in Australia. I am hesitant about buying one off eBay. Are there any Aussies that can point me in the right direction? Also, is there a specific question I can ask to ensure I get the latest firmware. (I say specific, because if I ask "is this the latest firmware?", we all know what any sales person will answer!) Thanks in adavance, guy.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Where to buy the Siglent SDS1202X in Asutralia
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 05:55:59 am »
TrioTest now owned by IDL are the authorised OZ distributors.

Welcome to the forum.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 06:41:32 am »
Thank you for your welcome and for your direction for the distributor. I found TrioTest on my Google search but my Internet Security (Eset) blocked it with an unsafe warning...and I believed Eset.
Thanks again

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 06:55:32 am »
Hmmm...I just called the head office in Adelaide, and I got a pretty bad vibe. The person on the phone was quite unhelpful and dismissive of my($900) purchase. There was no stock and he had no idea when they would have more.  I shudder to think what support I would get.  It was enough of a bad vibe for me to pass on this otherwise great sounding scope.
Thank you!!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 06:56:46 am »
Thank you for your welcome and for your direction for the distributor. I found TrioTest on my Google search but my Internet Security (Eset) blocked it with an unsafe warning...and I believed Eset.
Thanks again
PM me if you wish and I’ll give you the boss guys email.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 07:33:01 am »
Oh BTW, are you missing the -E from the model# ?
As in SDS1202X-E ?

https://www.triotest.com.au/store/siglent-oscilloscopes/1248-siglent-sds1202x-e-digital-oscilloscope-200mhz-2-channel-1gss-with-serial-decode.html

I found TrioTest on my Google search but my Internet Security (Eset) blocked it with an unsafe warning...and I believed Eset.
Same here, bloody browsers !  >:(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Kerlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 08:28:50 am »
Hmmm...I just called the head office in Adelaide, and I got a pretty bad vibe. The person on the phone was quite unhelpful and dismissive of my($900) purchase. There was no stock and he had no idea when they would have more.  I shudder to think what support I would get.  It was enough of a bad vibe for me to pass on this otherwise great sounding scope.
Thank you!!
When ever I need to do a purchase at work (we have 15 TEK CROs) first thing I do is make an enquiry as a hobbyist, which I am at heart.
Find it's a good way to check out customer service abilities and attitudes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:32:22 am by Kerlin »
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

Online hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 08:33:45 am »
Oh BTW, are you missing the -E from the model# ?
As in SDS1202X-E ?

https://www.triotest.com.au/store/siglent-oscilloscopes/1248-siglent-sds1202x-e-digital-oscilloscope-200mhz-2-channel-1gss-with-serial-decode.html

I found TrioTest on my Google search but my Internet Security (Eset) blocked it with an unsafe warning...and I believed Eset.
Same here, bloody browsers !  >:(

Looks like their SSL certificate expired 4 days ago. Not a great look, but it will be an oversight on their part.

Offline Kerlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 08:45:00 am »
Yes getting the same, not risking going further.
So bypassing. Byee...
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 09:20:43 am »
I'm in Australia, and I would like to update my Jaycar colour DSO to the Siglent SDS1202X, but I can't find anywhere to buy it in Australia. I am hesitant about buying one off eBay. Are there any Aussies that can point me in the right direction?

Wavecom also distribute Siglent equipment and are extremely good to deal with, they also list equipment on Ebay and their prices are generally better than the official Siglent distributor. I would normally recommend Trio Test as well but I don't even bother with them since they ceased listing equipment prices on their website. I think they have lost the plot.   ::)

Wavecom Instruments
https://www.wavecom.com.au

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 09:34:45 am »
Triotest is not Triotest as it was due be being absorbed by IPD. Back in January in the middle of this happening I took delivery of an SDG2042X which quite frankly was a PITA as one hand ex Sydney had NFI what was or wasn't available in then Adelaide for stock.

IPD are real and no certificate is a Laughable reason not to buy a product from a company you can actually go visit or talk to on the phone. They are no market stall in Shenzen.

At the time with GST paid they were very close in price to anywhere else on the planet from Hong Kong to the USA (with eevblog discount) applied so I suffered the lack of knowledge for local proper warranty and consumer protections if needed.

I haven't had the need to talk to them since and I would hope the lack of skills on the range is improving but if they shed the old staff in the absorption then they will likely continue to be a PITA to deal with.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 10:23:02 am »
tautech, time to expand your terrain!!!

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 01:09:50 pm »
The Siglent SDS 1202X-E & the 1104X-E are very popular scopes at their price points. To dismiss them because of a bad vibe from a particular dealer, is pretty much shooting yourself in the foot. Australia is a big country and I am sure there are other choices as to how to buy them.

Offline plurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 01:48:15 pm »
Thank you!!

Is part of the problem that you are asking for an old model SDS1202X rather than the newer SDS1202X-E? I would think it is quite likely that they would not get more of this old model SDS1202X. It is significantly more expensive than the newer model and I expect it would have lower performance in some areas (I might be wrong).

Would the SDS1202X-E suit you? It is much cheaper and probably in stock as it is still a fairly new model. Would have been a good thing for Trio Test to suggest to you I think.

The SDS1202X-E was AU$569 ex GST last year: https://web.archive.org/web/20180402074229/https://www.triotest.com.au/store/135-siglent-oscilloscopes

Even the four channel SDS1104X-E is cheaper than $900 if you don't mind the lower bandwidth. That was AU$742 ex GST last year.

That being said, my first purchase from Trio Test last year (back when they had pricing on the website) was a great experience and went smoothly. Soon after that they took the pricing off the website and as far as I can tell the website was never updated again - no new products nothing. Also the expired SSL certificate as we have seen.

I have purchased an item from them this year and it was less smooth. Harder to find out pricing - prices had started rising significantly for some items - one person I talked to got stock levels wrong (saying they did not have stock when in fact they did) - the sales guy I had dealt with the first time sounded much less enthusiastic this year, like the life had been drained out of him. I think that sort of thing is quite common when companies are taken over and they are not integrated into the parent company well. I may be reading more into this than I should.

Overall I get the impression that the Trio Test part of the business is not a priority for the parent group. That is just a vibe - I could be wrong. So perhaps you are right regarding "I shudder to think what support I would get".
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 02:01:38 pm by plurn »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 06:43:57 pm »
Even the four channel SDS1104X-E is cheaper than $900 if you don't mind the lower bandwidth.

Bandwidth can be hacked.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 06:54:12 pm »
Expired certificate. The website owner forgot to renew it.

It expired on 26th September.

So no, doesn't look like a compromised website injecting malware.

Didn't ESET give this information? Just "malicious" and that's all?  :palm:

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 04:38:16 am »
I emailed triotest 3 times about SDS1104X-E...late last year, got no reply.  In the end I gave up purchased a Rigol from Emona.  Pity I would have preferred the Siglent.   Not that the Rigol is bad.  Its just trio appeared to careless, Emona was rapid in responses.
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

The following users thanked this post: rernexy

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 04:43:30 am »
I emailed triotest 3 times about SDS1104X-E...late last year, got no reply.  In the end I gave up purchased a Rigol from Emona.  Pity I would have preferred the Siglent.   Not that the Rigol is bad.  Its just trio appeared to careless, Emona was rapid in responses.

Were you aware that they got 'acquired' about that time? It is the now owner that is/has been the issue from that time forward.

Also possible or even likely they may not have renewed the Triotest certificate as the name and domain might be going bye byes.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 07:07:06 am »
I haven't had the need to talk to them since and I would hope the lack of skills on the range is improving but if they shed the old staff in the absorption then they will likely continue to be a PITA to deal with.
There have been some changes with senior staff retiring and another passing.  :(
Charles who used to run Siglent gear to Dave for reviews and teardowns has retired with the sale to IPD and the remaining principal is no doubt rushed off his feet.
I sent him mail today and he was gunna look into all of this with urgency.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 08:33:53 am »
After Triotest removed all pricing from their site (including the specials page!) last year I have never looked at their site again. There are easier places to buy test gear.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 08:36:07 am »
After Triotest removed all pricing from their site (including the specials page!) last year I have never looked at their site again. There are easier places to buy test gear.

What part of NOT Triotest anymore is so hard to understand? The Triotest experience doesn't deserve to be tarnished by the current mobs issues.

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 09:26:07 am »

What part of NOT Triotest anymore is so hard to understand? The Triotest experience doesn't deserve to be tarnished by the current mobs issues.

Triotest.com.au goes to the same Triotest website as it always has. it’s the Triotest website and the business is still called Triotest. Call the number on the website and a Triotest staffer answers the phone. What’s hard to understand about that?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2019, 09:37:54 am »

Triotest.com.au goes to the same Triotest website as it always has. it’s the Triotest website and the business is still called Triotest. Call the number on the website and a Triotest staffer answers the phone. What’s hard to understand about that?

IPD the OWNERS of the carcus or Triotest are the problem and most of the original straff are not there. What don't you understand? Bagging out what was a good brand and company because of new ownership WHO WILL BE DOING THE INVOICING and handling the sale isn't appropriate. IPD is the company regardless of name!

Way back in January this entity IPD invoiced me https://abr.business.gov.au/ABN/View/12111178351 they were clearly trading on the GOOD name of Triotest and have in true corporate style screwed it ever since.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2019, 10:35:27 pm »
Relaying a message from Trio management:

If anyone has concerns or issues with accessing anything Siglent in Australia they can contact mark.isherwood@ipd.com.au who was a shareholder of TRIO T&M and is now the GM of T&M business @ IPD.

Plans are also afoot to rekindle their old EEVblog account of: TRIO Test and Measurement
Watch this space.

Dave, Mark might need your help.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:38:51 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2019, 11:55:15 pm »
Thanks Tautech...I will...

actually I purchased scope 08 Feb sol my unanswered emails to Trio were in early 2019.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:56:58 pm by wasyoungonce »
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf