Author Topic: What is the best deal for the current probe for the scope?  (Read 4281 times)

Offline dimbmwTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'd like it to be compact and measure with reasonable accuracy, let's say up to 200 kHz, with BNC connector to attach it to the scope input. 1mA and up is OK.
I think my mental limit is around $300.
Thanks!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: What is the best deal for the current probe for the scope?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 08:16:36 am »
I'd like it to be compact and measure with reasonable accuracy, let's say up to 200 kHz, with BNC connector to attach it to the scope input. 1mA and up is OK.
I think my mental limit is around $300.
Thanks!
Good luck with that.

Rather than investing in many of the new offerings pick up one of the great old Tek P6021 or P6022 current probes.
Here's my P6021 checked on a DF2001A deskew fixture that provides 147mA square wave @ ~22 KHz.
This in probe termination 2mA/mV setting, the more sensitive compared to it's 10mA/mV.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 11:33:49 am »
if you need DC and 1mA resolution then good luck with that, you're probably an order of magnitude off in your price expectations for anything other than getting lucky on a 25+ year old tektronix probe from ebay (and by lucky i mean in both the auction and in getting a working unit, as known good probe+amplifier combos normally go for more than your budget so you'll be rolling the dice on "as-is" units). AC probes like those suggested above are cheaper - also look for 1V/A "Current Monitors" from Pearson, but they'll still be a few hundred bucks unless you're lucky.

DIY wise, if AC is ok and you don't have wide bandwidth requirements (e.g. if you need up to 200kHz+ but only down to say 20kHz), and don't need a clamp-on solution, you can probably DIY a probe for $10. DC you might scrape by with a LEM current sensor or something  - they are normally specced to about 200kHz and a low-range unit might just get you 1mA resolution, though again with no option for clamp-on.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 12:20:19 pm »
The CP-05A  (4A / 40A range) is reasonable but don't expect 1mA resolution. It seems the less ranges a current probe has, the lower the noise but don't expect miracles. The probes Tautech suggests are AC only. Measuring AC current is much easier.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 12:22:12 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 12:39:02 pm »
The CP-05A  (4A / 40A range) is reasonable but don't expect 1mA resolution.

Hands away from this !  ;)

It´s noisy like hell ( forget measuring under 1A)....I got this one.

You can´t expect getting 1mA resolution by spending 300$ only...

But:

A few weeks ago I´ve test the CP2100B with 1.5Mhz bandwith and up to 100A.
Noiselevel was good, measurings from 50mA/div or less when using filter are possible, but don´t expect good accuracy at this low levels.
The CP2100B would cost about 370 bucks, but if you don´t need the bandwith, have a look at the CP2100A.
It got 800Khz bandwith and cost about 200 bucks.

Martin
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 01:10:31 pm »

You got a different version! You have the one with 4A, 40A and 400A ranges; the CP-05A with only 2 ranges performs much better. But the MicSig current probe is a good option to consider as well.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 01:23:29 pm »
Ah, there is a version without "+", didn´t noticed that before.
(Kierkegaard)

Offline RellikJM

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 02:06:44 pm »
Take a look at the Fluke Philips PM 9355. The current probe was actually made by Tektronix for Fluke/Philips and this one on eBay fits your budget ~($200):  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-Philips-PM9355-Current-Probe-and-Amplifier-5/223876311148

It covers 1ma/DIV - 1A/DIV in a 1-2-5 sequence. The minimum bandwidth at the -3 dB points is 45 Mhz and the best bandwidth is 75 Mhz. It also will handle up to 12 Ap-p as long as you are above 300 Hz

I did a lot of searching for current probe that was low cost and high quality with good accuracy, and this is what I found and purchased myself. I don't think it's well known in the T&M community.

Offline Weston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 01:30:09 am »
Something to think about in terms of probe resolution: It increases the insertion impedance of the probe, but you can always increase the current resolution by adding more turns though the current probe.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 02:58:00 am »
Take a look at the Fluke Philips PM 9355. The current probe was actually made by Tektronix for Fluke/Philips and this one on eBay fits your budget ~($200):  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-Philips-PM9355-Current-Probe-and-Amplifier-5/223876311148

It covers 1ma/DIV - 1A/DIV in a 1-2-5 sequence. The minimum bandwidth at the -3 dB points is 45 Mhz and the best bandwidth is 75 Mhz. It also will handle up to 12 Ap-p as long as you are above 300 Hz

I did a lot of searching for current probe that was low cost and high quality with good accuracy, and this is what I found and purchased myself. I don't think it's well known in the T&M community.

The PM9355 is an AC probe. The LF -3dB point is about 12Hz. It is not a Hall Effect probe that can do DC.

Tektronix made a model 134 Amplifier that extends the current range and LF bandwidth of the Tektronix AC probes (P6019, P6020, P6021 and P6022).

Details are here:
https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/134

Regards,
Jay_Diddy_B

Offline teknut

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 03:12:14 pm »
I have done quite a bit of dc current probes testing myself and when you get down in the 1 mA dc range the 5 fingers on one hand are way too many to count the good ones. For the lowest cost and best performance probe an AM503B amplifier (requires a TM power supply case) plus an A6302 probe is the best there is, equal  to the ones costing 5 times more as used. The older Tek amplifiers - older than a AM503B - suffers way too much from DC drift but that was resolved quite well in the AM503B. With a bit a patience and a bit of ebay luck you maybe able to get a complete set-up for some $400 - $450 buying them one by one. And yes ... 'as is' - no warranty and no return is not a good idea when it comes to such set-up since there are so many ways for it to be defective!
Good Luck!
A

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 07:25:56 pm »
Yes, this would be my suggestion too as I´m still waiting for a good offer in ebay for it...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Tektronix-A6302-Current-Probe-AM503A-Current-Probe-Amplifier-TM501/283939213839?hash=item421c18920f:g:bhIAAOSwnyFfAzPi

Actual, he wants 390€ ( answer to my price suggestion of 370).
(Kierkegaard)

Offline Wertyuud

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 12:31:25 pm »
I bougth few days ago hall current sensor for diy current probe.  It is http://en.yhdc.com/product/HTS6(-3)-545.html and I actually paid for it about 7.6USD. I think its quite qood for its price. Specification says it has 150kHz bandwidth, but I measured 500kHz at -1dB and about 900kHz at -3dB. The rise time is ~450ns. Only down side is that is has no split core :(. I will get a second sensor and investigate if its possible to split its core in half...

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 12:39:26 pm by Wertyuud »

Offline Harjit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 05:11:52 pm »
I haven't come across good info. on a split core.

This is an interesting approach: https://twitter.com/WestonBraun/status/1285291187595665408

If you bump up to the main feed, there is some additional info.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 10:40:14 pm »

You got a different version! You have the one with 4A, 40A and 400A ranges; the CP-05A with only 2 ranges performs much better. But the MicSig current probe is a good option to consider as well.

I found my old 2 ranger in a drawer and its still puke :P  I think some of it is pot luck with those things too... being so cheap and not having consistent quality parts

I ran into these micsigs awhile back when looking at diff probes and was quite surprised, i have several now and they are fairly consistent, just got a second for the house and think i might get a 3rd soon for viewing multi phase

So... you really need 1mA? You do none of this, what you do is make a current sensing resistor circuit and measure the voltage drop across it and then calculate your current from there, that is bar none the cheapest and easiest way to do it if you really need that accurate because the solution is removing the noisy hall sensors in the first place. Pre built boards targeting the flourishing arduino and pi markets are dime a dozen and cheap.. just power it and feed it to your scope 

Offline Weston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 11:08:54 pm »
I haven't come across good info. on a split core.

This is an interesting approach: https://twitter.com/WestonBraun/status/1285291187595665408

If you bump up to the main feed, there is some additional info.

This is actually my project! It started out as just messing with a cool magnetic sensor I found and now I am working on turning it to a product to be launched on Crowd Supply at a price point somewhere around $100. As others have pointed out, there are really no good and cheap options for DC current probes, I am hoping to make that less true. Its going to be a number of months until it is a product ready for sale though.

I recently created a demo album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/63341195@N08/albums/72157715180470002

If you want to help shape the feature set of the final product you can help me out by filling out my market survey: https://forms.gle/2BxYyGBj3aAw4SXw7
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:10:40 pm by Weston »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Kean

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 11:12:53 pm »
This is actually my project! It started out as just messing with a cool magnetic sensor I found and now I am working on turning it to a product to be launched on Crowd Supply at a price point somewhere around $100. As others have pointed out, there are really no good and cheap options for DC current probes, I am hoping to make that less true. Its going to be a number of months until it is a product ready for sale though.

I recently created a demo album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/63341195@N08/albums/72157715180470002

If you want to help shape the feature set of the final product you can help me out by filling out my market survey: https://forms.gle/2BxYyGBj3aAw4SXw7

What is the sensor used?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline eplpwr

• Regular Contributor
  • Junior VoltNut
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 07:24:00 am »
So... you really need 1mA? You do none of this, what you do is make a current sensing resistor circuit and measure the voltage drop across it and then calculate your current from there, that is bar none the cheapest and easiest way to do it if you really need that accurate because the solution is removing the noisy hall sensors in the first place. Pre built boards targeting the flourishing arduino and pi markets are dime a dozen and cheap.. just power it and feed it to your scope

This!  :-DMM

Use a good sense resistor and an AD8421, then you can do both high-side and low side sensing. It will also work very well as a general diff probe within voltage limitations. If you want to measure a 24V rail high-side you can power the chip asymmetrically, like +30V/-5V.

Offline eevcandies

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 09:48:33 am »
Occasionally someone, who knows nothing about it, will sell a TEK current probe setup "without" the probe.  What they don't know  is the second blank panel can be a pull out storage compartment...which  may hold the missing probe.  I remember someone getting one on the bay & they were pleasantly surprised to find the probe "came with it".

I bought a 100 MHz Tek A6312 almost new current probe for a song...$189...found a few of the thin wires were broke right at the circular connector pins...used a 50MHz version for connection pin reference & soldered  back up...works 100%

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:55:31 am by eevcandies »

Offline Weston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 07:57:03 pm »
What is the sensor used?

Its the Honeywell HMC1041Z AMR sensor. Unfortunately, sourcing is a bit hard at the moment. Its a pretty unique part.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf