Author Topic: chose an oscilloscope, Dso8064a or MDO3024  (Read 1512 times)

Offline rauldmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
chose an oscilloscope, Dso8064a or MDO3024
« on: January 24, 2022, 12:15:30 am »
Hi, I found in my country 2 scopes with same price  an Agilent DSO8064a and Tektronix MDO3024, the Agilent it has marks of hard use, Tektronix only has 42 hour (can be like open box condition), I have tds3054b, agilent dsox2002a and sds1204x-e what can be better option? I like the agilent for decode option and memory deep, but is very big and heavy unit, otherwise I like tek for use condition and size, but I readed Tek MDO3000 are just like low end oscilloscopes to big price, I understand this, "low cost hardware, to expensive marketing price", otherwise Agilent DSO8064a was a top end great oscilloscope in its era. Thanks for your answers

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: chose an oscilloscope, Dso8064a or MDO3024
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 12:24:50 am »
I'd go for the MDO3024 because it is much newer.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: rauldm

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 12:42:12 am »
What's the going price for the 2nd hand Tek ?
Considering you can get a new 350 MHz SDS5034X for $3,569 with a 3 year warranty when the 200 MHz Tek new price is ~$5k.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 12:54:41 am »
but I readed Tek MDO3000 are just like low end oscilloscopes to big price

The devices being compared here are wildly different, so your use case matters a lot.  Given similar pricing, I would overwhelmingly prefer the MDO3024 if it was going to be my only or main instrument and the 200MHz scope bandwidth was sufficient (and it almost always is...).  The MDO is a unique sort of instrument that has a 3GHz spectrum analyzer in addition to the scope.  The only questionable issue IMO is what options it may have installed, as not everything you might want is enabled by default.  I don't know the cost of those options nor the hackability.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Venturi962

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 01:14:27 am »
Unless you need the bandwidth (DSO8064A can be unlocked to 1GHz), I imagine the Tek is better to daily drive.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 01:55:06 am »
 2000 USD for tektronix, 1750 for agilent

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 12:32:42 pm »
2000 USD for tektronix, 1750 for agilent
Thanks.
Tek fan here however the HPAK looks like a much more capable scope but with this shit happening go for the Tek:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/keysight-officially-lost-the-plot-dont-buy-if-youre-a-hobbyist/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Domitronic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 02:24:49 pm »

I remember the old Infiniuums to be very loud in terms of fan noise. Wouldn't be the right choice for me as a daily driver even though the specs were great at that time. Also depends on the options installed and the application you want to use it for. What do you plan to do that can't be done with the 3 existing scopes you have?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 05:00:03 pm »
I want upgrade the tds3054b with any these scopes, tds is a great scope but it doesn't has decode serial option. My principal activity is power electronics (for this I use a fluke scopemeter) and industrial control repair, many cases I use serial decode for test uart to rs232 convertes or can bus, is typical for me found comunication problems in some devices even GPS and radio transmiters)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 05:20:50 pm »
Why aren't you using your Keysight or Siglent oscilloscope for decoding? Or do you want to have a 4 channel scope?
From my experience with an older Agilent Infiniuum oscilloscope, the user interface isn't stellar. You'll need a mouse to operate it.

The UI on the MDO3024 is more modern however decoding long captures can be slow from what I have gathered from people who own & use this model. For your purposes I'd try to get an R&S RTB2004; these are available on the used market as well. Really nice UI especially where it comes to decoding. Maybe you can do a trade with an equipment dealer for the TDS3054B
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 05:25:56 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 01:24:42 am »
Because Agilent it has less memory for example tektronix MDO it has 10 Mpoints, Agilent only 2 channels,  math mode is limited. I work also with Resolver sensors and I want a Scope with advanced math for introdusing equations for compute angle. Siglent is great device for price, but is very slow, when you uses the Tek, agilent or fluke is great difference in response, for 500 USD, 200 MHz, 4 channels and control from Wifi more bode plot I can't ask for more, but I want a powerful scope and   see a oportunity, in Mexico only found Tek scopes from WWII, 2kPoints for memory deep and 100 MHz, phosphor emulation is very strange found in second hand. 
When I was student of deegre, I working  for my thesis in a AC-AC converter, I used TDS3000B and MSO or MDO I don't remeber, visualization on TDS is better than more newer Tektronix in 3000 series, but TDS is very limited for actual days I think that it. The idea for Agilent  Dso8064a is because it has very big memory deep and decode serial also, but I have never used one of that type, in this forum many people it has experience from  cheap scopes up to very expensive, for this for that reason I ask for suggestions based on your personal experience of handling this equipment. About R&S scopes really I like it, but in Mexico is not common brand, only fluke, tek and keysight/agilent you can get for good price.
Regards.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 02:03:37 am »
Given your use case, I think the Tek is a better choice here.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 10:53:17 pm »
Thanks for everyone, I selled my old tds3014b and get the tektronix mdo3024, I hacked with information in this incredible forum and get 500 MHz and all unlocks, the seller send me the scope with 43 hours of use and TAP2500 probe for 1900 USD all kit. Is a slow scope compared with my agilent dsox2002a, but it has more functions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf