Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16874407 times)

themadhippy, wkb and 112 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #130050 on: August 17, 2022, 04:47:39 pm »
Well to quell my disappointment, the first lot arrived:

Several whole drawers of dual PNP and NPN transistors. Now I can make my own ICs  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, Zucca, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al, syau, Zoli, m k

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #130051 on: August 17, 2022, 04:55:37 pm »
idk wtf is going on, I bid 88.88, which was the winning bid, but somehow I'm not the winner? Fuck ebay, I'm done.

did someone else bid the same 88.88 but before you? Then the first bidder gets it. Had you set 88.89 it would be yours. Or sometimes you loose somtime the others win :o
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #130052 on: August 17, 2022, 04:56:05 pm »
Well to quell my disappointment, the first lot arrived:

Several whole drawers of dual PNP and NPN transistors. Now I can make my own ICs  :-DD

You are on my "go to" list if I need a vintage transistor.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #130053 on: August 17, 2022, 05:15:34 pm »
idk wtf is going on, I bid 88.88, which was the winning bid, but somehow I'm not the winner? Fuck ebay, I'm done.

did someone else bid the same 88.88 but before you? Then the first bidder gets it. Had you set 88.89 it would be yours. Or sometimes you loose somtime the others win :o
Yes, sadly... bidding "clever amounts" like this can bite you in the arse. You're not the only one who likes to be clever.  ;)

If it's something you really want, then dig deep; until it hurts. That way when someone tops you by one copper, you can honestly say to yourself "It was too fucking much".

mnem
 :blah:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 05:18:35 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #130054 on: August 17, 2022, 05:25:30 pm »

That is exactly what happened. The highest bids were £88,88.
User 9***2 placed it at 17 Aug 2022, 18:28:17 MESZ.
User 2***z placed it at 17 Aug 2022, 18:28:21 MESZ, four seconds later.
If user 2***z would have placed it five seconds earlier or if he'd placed it as £88,89, then he'd won the auction.

Screenshot:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 05:28:48 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130055 on: August 17, 2022, 05:27:38 pm »
Any 2N5583 you are trying to get rid of???  :)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #130056 on: August 17, 2022, 05:33:22 pm »

If user 2***z would have placed it five seconds earlier or if he'd placed it as £88,89, then he'd won the auction.

Screenshot:

My bid was accepted, and was winning when I entered it; ebay lag fucked me over, basically.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #130057 on: August 17, 2022, 05:40:27 pm »
Found the restoring video of this thing: it is an HP 150A:

Thanks for posting that, I did watch the first part some time ago and skipped through most of it, as sanding & painting it was not very interesting to me, plus he painted the wrong color.  :palm:
Watched the other three parts last night, much better
David
Thank you so much for the link, just like you I had seen only the first episode but got a bit put off by it, now I watched the rest and they where quite good!
They did achieve one other thing for me: I'm totally put off buying a vacuum tube oscilloscope after seeing all that, I would not have the patience to repair such a beast!

And just as mansaxel writes here below another good reason is the electricity prices!
Currently as I'm writing this it's almost at 10SEK or around 90€/$ cents including taxes!!!

At least it has motivated me to setup a Home Assistant module that shuts off my water heater, and come winter when heating will be required the heater too based on hourly electricity rates:

Now at 56 c/kWh. This is bloody insane.

Do you pay hourly rate or is it a generic high level? The peak prices were around those levels today, or even a bit higher, in SE4, the southernmost part of Sweden. Thankfully, we're in SE3, which is a little bit cheaper. (source: Nordpool)

I'm very much on the fence as to how I'm going to tackle next 12-month period; which agreement model I'm choosing, fixed, semi-rigid or full-floating. Full-floating requires instrumentation and some consumer control too. Tempting but do I have the drive to fix it what with the other 100s of things I need to do?  As someone wrote; "The dream of renewables in Germany mostly was natural gas through NordStream..."

Topic discussion: Old TE is energy inefficient. Having large power costs influences the Addiction. Besides, electricity is sort of on-topic.  I hope.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130058 on: August 17, 2022, 05:47:32 pm »

Screenshot:

Interestingly my bid isn’t even in there.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #130059 on: August 17, 2022, 05:51:40 pm »
ok, re electricity and heating ... gas price hike has arrived, too.
so, anything taking up energy and generating heat will be moved to our upper level where we have no gas heating.
We will turn to wood for our normal ground level heating.
Solar power will be installed.
Chainsaw petrol and oil will be bunkered.

Next step: go for big island configuration, talk to carpenter about setting up a new carport solar panel mount which has the best possible orientation towards the sun. investigate island configuration.

For the shtf scenario the emergency water purifier arrived today.
This country is going 3rd world ...  :palm:

Other news:
3d printing an 18650 crate.
The filament is old and has not been stored properly. I raised the temp to 210 C for the AAA crate and the thickness from 0.1 to 0.2 mil.
Trying to get thru this filament as it has been sitting on the reel in the open for the past 6 months without getting put to use.
And my RTX3090 TUF OC has arrived. Just picked it up @135€forthenext10months

Additional info: 3090 seem to be on the phase-out list. The next generation is waiting to hit the market, and the 3090ti has also dropped significantly while the 3090 dropped 30% in price.
I wanted 2 of those so I can throw them together into a 48GB pacman server ...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 05:57:34 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130060 on: August 17, 2022, 06:13:24 pm »
3090 going cheap now because no one can afford to run them  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130061 on: August 17, 2022, 06:16:48 pm »
that was my first thought as well. However since our natural gas prices are level with juice prices now it really does not matter. Furthermore, the 3090 is the perfect heater. You won't reach that efficiency level with any other juice->heat generator

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130062 on: August 17, 2022, 06:47:59 pm »
so, anything taking up energy and generating heat will be moved to our upper level where we have no gas heating.

Don't forget to put fuel stabiliser in your chainsaw petrol. Don't use that high alcohol E10 rubbish - unless you go to the trouble of removing the ethanol.

Premix is about twice the price of petrol at the pumps, but comes with stabiliser and two stroke oil mixed in. It keeps better and doesn't contain the additives intended for cars, but undesirable in two stroke fuel.  Maybe worth considering in spite of the cost.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, Saskia

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #130063 on: August 17, 2022, 06:59:09 pm »

Don't forget to put fuel stabiliser in your chainsaw petrol. Don't use that high alcohol E10 rubbish - unless you go to the trouble of removing the ethanol.

Premix is about twice the price of petrol at the pumps, but comes with stabiliser and two stroke oil mixed in. It keeps better and doesn't contain the additives intended for cars, but undesirable in two stroke fuel.  Maybe worth considering in spite of the cost.

Or the traditional technique. Cows in the ground floor byre, people on the first floor. Cows convert inedible grass into both heat and fuel - and food :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130064 on: August 17, 2022, 07:05:26 pm »

Screenshot:

My bid was accepted, and was winning when I entered it; ebay lag fucked me over, basically.
Well you did say that with the mobile app it would save you money, so this is the start of that process.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Per Hansson, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #130065 on: August 17, 2022, 07:21:17 pm »

WAF Improvement Project is now in endgame... but of course the weather is killing me.  |O

Went to glue these uprights after curing in the sun, and when I came back it was raining on the lock wedges.  ::) They're now in my air fryer on a dehydrate cycle to dry so I can polyurethane them for final assembly.

TE used: Air Fryer thermometer and humidity sensor.  ;)

mnem
This is real life. Of course there will be a test.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 05:10:40 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130066 on: August 17, 2022, 07:34:38 pm »
Any 2N5583 you are trying to get rid of???  :)

Those are in the next lot (zero interest from me on that lot) and I didn't bid at all on the second lot, was too busy engaged in TETRIS, to get the HP 404A voltmeter near the 711A power supply.

Yesterday I corrected the wonky needle problem  :bullshit:, it might still be knackered, as the zero adjust needs to be set all the way to one side, the plastic pin is broken off too, so it can't adjusted now it's back together. If I need to buy another complete meter movement I will.

Also reattached this broken off resistor, used the wrap some tinned copper wire around a drill bit technique, to make a joiner.

Is it safe to leave these leak-tubes in overnight?  :horse:

David
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 07:41:38 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, Cubdriver, med6753, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Zenith, Zoli, m k

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130067 on: August 17, 2022, 07:35:25 pm »
Yeah next lot is a pass for me as well.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130068 on: August 17, 2022, 07:43:35 pm »

Yes, sadly... bidding "clever amounts" like this can bite you in the arse. You're not the only one who likes to be clever.  ;)

If it's something you really want, then dig deep; until it hurts. That way when someone tops you by one copper, you can honestly say to yourself "It was too fucking much".

mnem
 :blah:

The correct amount to bid is that at which you will be equally unhappy whether you win or lose

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130069 on: August 17, 2022, 07:44:22 pm »
pv mount on its way over here. Will do one string first and check on max cable length for HM-1500. Will also try to frickledoodle a DTU to check effectiveness (the HM dtu has been, umm, reengineered ...)

on 23rd the carpenter wants to stop by to check the place for this particular car port that we had in mind.
Will try to max out what I can get out of the PV and look into an island solution.
Unfortunately over here battery packs need to be certified or in case of an oopsie there is absolutely no insurance coverage ... (and I cannot have that ...)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130070 on: August 17, 2022, 07:45:08 pm »
re bidding and temptation. There is a Naka CR7 up on Catawiki. I am tempted.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130071 on: August 17, 2022, 08:01:51 pm »
What are you talking about? My post was about a mod to a bench meter, and all the other discussion has been about visiting a hamfest... all very much on-topic.  :-//
mnem
*SMH*

I think he's refereing to BD139's post above with the embedded video that has no relevance.
It's one thing to reply with a short fun quip, it's another to embed a video as clog up the page.

What are the priorities of this thread today?
Slower connection friendliness is clearly one but it probably is not the first.

Show window can be one also but how smoothly that would sink in to the content suppliers.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #130072 on: August 17, 2022, 08:09:23 pm »
Please take on this 40+yrs of experience.
Fuel and 2 stoke oils

Do not under any circumstances use a heavily dyed oil even for the benefit of 2 stroke mix identification.
Use air cooled rated oils for air cooled motors.
Do not use 2 stroke oils at minimum ratios ever ! The low % of lubricant in a fuel mix leaves very little room for error and errors run the motor short of oil which is a costly lesson. Regardless of oil type, mineral blend or synthetic stay richer than 40:1 always. I run most everything at 32:1 using quality lightly dyed mineral 2 stroke oils and the big boy 120cc saw that works the hardest is run on 25:1.
Highest octane fuels will provide highest power output and highest flash off vapors that can build up fuel tank pressure and override carburetor needle valve fuel control.
Always leave fuel in saw tanks if they are to be used again within a 6 month period. < Translation, don't store your saw with an empty tank.

Following the above will provide decades of trouble free service if you do your part with the little things....clean fuel, clean air filter clear air cooling paths etc.

/lecture.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:34:33 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, cyclin_al, Saskia

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130073 on: August 17, 2022, 08:33:54 pm »
Got around to doing some more checks on the newly aquired Fluke 8845A DMM. Looking good against my LTZ1000ACH based 10V reference, ESi SR1010 on 200 Ohms and a 1k secondardy standard.  :-DMM The trending and statistics funcions look nice too.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Zoli, m k

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130074 on: August 17, 2022, 08:35:52 pm »
@tautech will go for that specialized premix husqvarna certified mix that does cost a bit more but comes without all those pesky additives good for the road but bad for the woods ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf