Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17697335 times)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #128725 on: August 05, 2022, 03:58:51 pm »
Thanks people for all the feedback on the shipping cost issue !

Looks like a proper mess with everyone having a different result / experience...

So I guess the only advice is to just be careful when ordering stuff.... lesson learned.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #128726 on: August 05, 2022, 04:01:32 pm »

Yep, just checked, no extra FDD power connector on this machine, as I thought.

Thanks for the link, though as I wrote above I was kinda hoping to make do with what I have here to save money and more shipping delay issues possibly... and looks like luckily I have enough stuff here to make my own adapter cable, look at that....  I just searched my junk and found this tiny male / female adapter cable... so all I need is solder a floppy power connector to that cable, and I have one from this harness from an old PSU. So I can make my own cable now... no need to butcher the computer's original harness  8)

As for plugging the adapter to the motherboard hmmm.... not sure. It's a huge tight mess in this area and cables would be exercising force onto the adapter, not great.
best to relocate the adapter a bit farther, where things are not as tight and crowded, so I might plug it on an IDE cable instead. Maybe put both the CF card and the original HDD on the same IDE cable.

But that's all details... I will se what works best once I have the CF adapter in my hands.
FDD power connector is now sorted so.... looks like I am good to go ?

Ah, need to fix the problem with the CD drive that refuses to boot !
Need a bootable CD drive to install the various OSes on the CF card.

I have x3 such old IBM Aptiva computers, so will try the CD drive from the other two, see if they boot or not.
Worse case, I can use the more modern CD / DVD writer from my main computer temporarily, just the time to install the OS on the CD card.
If none of these drives can boot then... well I guess it's rather a BIOS problem and not much I can do about it...  :palm:
Cable mess: as I saw it, the CD and the HDD are on different cables, so if plug the CF card in the MB, one cable will come out = less messy.  :-+
New CD/DVD writer: most likely is SATA = adapter  :(

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128727 on: August 05, 2022, 04:02:13 pm »

Yeah, the listing he bought from rings up as +$3.60 SpeedPak shipping to me; three others all ring up with the free shipping as advertised.

No doubt poor Vince is getting slammed with a little froggy asshole tax because French Bureaucracy and customs.

mnem
 :P
Yeah but.. It is eBay USA, it knows I'm in the UK, but the shipping remains and it clearly states shipping to my post code, or as you Yanks call it zip code  :-DD go figure  :popcorn:
It also says, just below, that international buyers may be subject to additional charges.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #128728 on: August 05, 2022, 04:06:25 pm »
Thanks people for all the feedback on the shipping cost issue !   Looks like a proper mess with everyone having a different result / experience...   So I guess the only advice is to just be careful when ordering stuff.... lesson learned.

Yeah, don't don't fret too much until you get to the [PAY NOW] button. But double-check before you click on it; if things don't add up, back up all the way to your cart and delete the item.

That's one of the main reasons I keep 1-CLICK purchasing and the eBay auto-login to PayPal DISABLED... I want a chance to review and change my mind at every step.

Like I said... somebody prolly doesn't like the assache of whatever customs paperwork your government demands, and is hitting you with a little froggy asshole tax because of it.  ;)

mnem
*toddles off to sand a table... again*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128729 on: August 05, 2022, 04:08:19 pm »

Yeah, the listing he bought from rings up as +$3.60 SpeedPak shipping to me; three others all ring up with the free shipping as advertised.

No doubt poor Vince is getting slammed with a little froggy asshole tax because French Bureaucracy and customs.

mnem
Yeah but.. It is eBay USA, it knows I'm in the UK, but the shipping remains and it clearly states shipping to my post code, or as you Yanks call it zip code  :-DD go figure  :popcorn:
It also says, just below, that international buyers may be subject to additional charges.

Yes but no. I clicked on that icon you are referring to, and it refers only to the usual import duties and brokerage fees, general stuff, which people might have to pay locally. Says nothing about the seller or Ebay actually charging you more for the shipping itself or some thing or other.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128730 on: August 05, 2022, 04:16:01 pm »

Yep, just checked, no extra FDD power connector on this machine, as I thought.

Thanks for the link, though as I wrote above I was kinda hoping to make do with what I have here to save money and more shipping delay issues possibly... and looks like luckily I have enough stuff here to make my own adapter cable, look at that....  I just searched my junk and found this tiny male / female adapter cable... so all I need is solder a floppy power connector to that cable, and I have one from this harness from an old PSU. So I can make my own cable now... no need to butcher the computer's original harness  8)

As for plugging the adapter to the motherboard hmmm.... not sure. It's a huge tight mess in this area and cables would be exercising force onto the adapter, not great.
best to relocate the adapter a bit farther, where things are not as tight and crowded, so I might plug it on an IDE cable instead. Maybe put both the CF card and the original HDD on the same IDE cable.

But that's all details... I will se what works best once I have the CF adapter in my hands.
FDD power connector is now sorted so.... looks like I am good to go ?

Ah, need to fix the problem with the CD drive that refuses to boot !
Need a bootable CD drive to install the various OSes on the CF card.

I have x3 such old IBM Aptiva computers, so will try the CD drive from the other two, see if they boot or not.
Worse case, I can use the more modern CD / DVD writer from my main computer temporarily, just the time to install the OS on the CD card.
If none of these drives can boot then... well I guess it's rather a BIOS problem and not much I can do about it...  :palm:
Cable mess: as I saw it, the CD and the HDD are on different cables, so if plug the CF card in the MB, one cable will come out = less messy.  :-+

Yes good point... but that means I can't use the original hard drive any more, if I wanted to. Not saying I would want to, but why restrict my options when I don't have to...

New CD/DVD writer: most likely is SATA = adapter  :(

Yes, didn't think of that.... but I see I have salvage SATA data connector, which means I probably have an old PSU somewhere with a SATA power connector to go with it...  ;D
But hopefully I won't have to use that CD drive to begin with. I mean I have two more OEM drives and the chances that both of them are not bootable / defective either is... statistically slim to say the least. So if that happens, I would just declare that's it's a BIOS issue and not a drive problem....
I don't know. Let's dig into it !

Stay tuned....  >:D

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128731 on: August 05, 2022, 04:20:19 pm »
EDIT : look what I just found !!!

No need to bother taking apart my two spare IBM computers to try their CD drives !

I have a junk box full of old IDE FDD/HDD/CD... 7 CD drives look !!  :-DD

Cool.... I am covered  8)

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative, Zoli

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #128732 on: August 05, 2022, 04:29:03 pm »

No need to bother taking apart my two spare IBM computers to try their CD drives !

And I see a TEAC FDD there too :-+
Now, the CD/CF problems are sorted out, until you've get the CF adapter, go back to the Rochar Nixie DVM. :rant:

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #128733 on: August 05, 2022, 04:57:04 pm »
What a cool number!
Someone landed a model rocket the way SpaceX is doing. It took him seven years to do so!

https://youtu.be/SH3lR2GLgT0
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #128734 on: August 05, 2022, 05:01:21 pm »

Is there a computer museum in Paris? Might want to contact them from what I'm seeing ...
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128735 on: August 05, 2022, 05:03:26 pm »
we now have a vfd calculator that works!

woooooohooooo!

(look at that beautious "=" key)

it feels like 1976 again.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, m k

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128736 on: August 05, 2022, 05:05:19 pm »

Yes but no. I clicked on that icon you are referring to, and it refers only to the usual import duties and brokerage fees, general stuff, which people might have to pay locally. Says nothing about the seller or Ebay actually charging you more for the shipping itself or some thing or other.

As you, like me, live in the EU, eBay is now required to collect VAT when you buy something from outside the EU and remit it on your behalf to your local greedy government tax collector.
Personally, I'm fine with this because if eBay don't do it, it falls to the local post monopoly to collect VAT and in Sweden they charge a minimum of 75 SEK (about 7 EUR) to do that for you, even if the VAT is 1 SEK. They also take a month or more to perform this 'service' for you and if they ultimately fail to deliver the goods, you can't get the money you paid them back.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #128737 on: August 05, 2022, 05:11:21 pm »
we now have a vfd calculator that works!

woooooohooooo!

(look at that beautious "=" key)

it feels like 1976 again.

Here, fixed that for you:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, nixiefreqq, grizewald

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128738 on: August 05, 2022, 05:22:45 pm »
Correction to the universe appreciated  >:D

Was on a zoom screen share earlier with a few senior techies and fired up Free42. Turns out there are a couple of other RPN folk at work.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #128739 on: August 05, 2022, 05:37:25 pm »
@Vince
actually, if you can spare a floppy and a DVD ...

did a minor haul today. 2 T+A TMR 80 for silly money, need to see if they work, 2 Dolby HX tapedecks (pioneer and yamaha), 1 pico scope, 1 arcade joystick, and a couple of assorted cables and spacers.

Currently repairing the Quadral Montan plus checking out the T+A

Have a look at aphoto of the crossover. I think the defective part is easily identified ...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 05:57:36 am by Saskia »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128740 on: August 05, 2022, 06:05:13 pm »
@Vince
actually, if you can spare a floppy and a DVD ...

Well yes I don't plan on scrapping them, if you need something PM me... but no returns accepted, the warranty has expired  !  :-DD

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128741 on: August 05, 2022, 06:06:37 pm »

As you, like me, live in the EU, eBay is now required to collect VAT when you buy something from outside the EU and remit it on your behalf to your local greedy government tax collector.
Personally, I'm fine with this because if eBay don't do it, it falls to the local post monopoly to collect VAT and in Sweden they charge a minimum of 75 SEK (about 7 EUR) to do that for you, even if the VAT is 1 SEK. They also take a month or more to perform this 'service' for you and if they ultimately fail to deliver the goods, you can't get the money you paid them back.

I agree with you, but it's not at all what looks like it's happening here, from every thing with have said earlier.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128742 on: August 05, 2022, 06:11:33 pm »
Does anyone know how long the Swedish Post keeps a parcel available for pickup? I've sent something to Mansaxel, but he was not online here since 29.7. and he did not respond to my messages! The parcel was placed at a localpickup station on the 3rd.
 :-//

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128743 on: August 05, 2022, 06:16:17 pm »

mnem

The real irony is... I have a few of those CF adapters here that I could send you. You could have them for free, but the postage for normal people ("the great unwashed") within the EU costs more than the price of the article including shipping from China.  :palm:

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #128744 on: August 05, 2022, 06:21:49 pm »
ok, the Montans seem to be back among the living. Need to unload the car and test the T+A

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128745 on: August 05, 2022, 06:29:51 pm »

mnem

The real irony is... I have a few of those CF adapters here that I could send you. You could have them for free, but the postage for normal people ("the great unwashed") within the EU costs more than the price of the article including shipping from China.  :palm:

McBryce.

Well... it might still be interesting. Shipping from Germany is about 5 Euros, similar price so I don't mind, plus, getting it from you means I am 100% sure I won't be asked to pay any taxes or brokerage fee or anything, and also I would receive it in a few days rather than 2/3 weeks...
So please double check shipping cost but I am pretty sure that's what it is... then PM me for the details !  >:D

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #128746 on: August 05, 2022, 06:30:46 pm »
Does anyone know how long the Swedish Post keeps a parcel available for pickup? I've sent something to Mansaxel, but he was not online here since 29.7. and he did not respond to my messages! The parcel was placed at a localpickup station on the 3rd.
 :-//

I recommend to write him an email. Address can befound on his website: http://vvv.besserwisser.org/

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128747 on: August 05, 2022, 06:32:16 pm »

McBryce.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure that I too have a CF->IDE adaptor buried somewhere that I don't need and thought about offering it, but didn't even bother for the same reason.

Quite often, I'm about to go "No worries, yours for free..." over something and then stop and think "Hold on, no point. That's going to cost me more just to post than it'll cost them to buy including postage from China".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128748 on: August 05, 2022, 06:40:25 pm »
Cerebus it's not the same, you are in the UK so I need to import... McBryce is in Germany so it's the EU zone, no importing shit going on, just regular mail service...

That said when Robert sent me stuff on several occasions from England, the parcel got delivered in my mail box directly, never was asked to pay anything.... I think they just don't bother (ofr now at least) with random small low value stuff between private individuals....

Didn't have to pay anything either when I bought the new LED strips for that TV repair, from china / Aliexpress...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 06:42:36 pm by Vince »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128749 on: August 05, 2022, 06:47:13 pm »

mnem

McBryce.

Well... it might still be interesting. Shipping from Germany is about 5 Euros, similar price so I don't mind, plus, getting it from you means I am 100% sure I won't be asked to pay any taxes or brokerage fee or anything, and also I would receive it in a few days rather than 2/3 weeks...
So please double check shipping cost but I am pretty sure that's what it is... then PM me for the details !  >:D

I have to find them first. How many do you need?

McBryce.

Edit: That went quicker than I thought. These are the ones I have. If they are of any use to you let me know.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 06:52:55 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf