Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17736085 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #128200 on: August 01, 2022, 04:06:00 pm »

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #128201 on: August 01, 2022, 04:21:54 pm »
Sorry Saskia, they are all a bunch of perverts here as you can see, you can't say nothing without them twisting it  :-//
I think Saskia already knows that by now  ;)

Wait... what...? Somebody's being a perv in here and it wasn't me...?  :o

mnem
*resident pervy little dwagon fancier*

You're slacking, so someone decided to step up for you.   :P :P :P

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, grizewald

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128202 on: August 01, 2022, 05:02:53 pm »
Bouht a vintage geiger counter on ebay. Conditon statement was used but description said "untested. but we all know that ebay consider the selected condition paramount.
It arrived today and guess what, two very badly corroded D cells inside  |O second one won't come out at all.
Also turned out it didn't have the advertised beta sensitive tube either.
A nice meassage to the seller got "you have to pay for return postage" and  "can't list as anything other than new or used in that category" which is not true. I ponited this out ad said I'd take a 50% refund. They said no somewhat rudely  :palm:
So I said I can't post it back becuase the knackerd battery won't come out and Royal Mail says you can't post any kind of damaged battery.
Awaiting a reply but Think I'll be opening a case.
I think that in the section the seller is talking about, they are correct, however, there is still plenty of opportunity when they invite you to give a more detailed description further in the listing. Go ahead and open a dispute, the seller is not going to play ball with you, I doubt.

I double checked, even starting a trial listing, and there is a for "parts or not working" condition option in the listed category.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128203 on: August 01, 2022, 05:07:03 pm »
Yeah saw that one and considered it. Have too many meters already  :-DD
I did consider it myself for a while there, but decided against it after discovering that my occupational pension pot has had almost 30% of its value wiped out since Dec 2021 thanks to this bloody cost of living crisis. So I'll have to keep on with my state pension and topping that up monthly from my inheritance that Mum left me, while hoping that the economy turns around and starts to inflate the pension pot again, fingers crossed  :'(

Mind you, it would keep my other 1906 company, trouble is that it has no bleeding diode mode  :wtf:

Every meter tends to have a diode mode. In 2K resistance range generally leads to diode drop being reported.

1906 is no exception (check the manual) :)

My bad, I should RTM I know, but I'm glad I now know that, thanks  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128204 on: August 01, 2022, 05:09:06 pm »
Possible bargain for someone today https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185519656143

Error 1 on this instrument appears if it detects an error on POST, like corrupt calibration data, normally caused by the RAM battery failing. This meter can be calibrated via the front panel. It is a good performer, 5.5 digit with a 210,000 count.

Cost here is £3829.50 if free.

E,
Probably no actual import charges, just VAT.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 05:26:42 pm by m k »
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128205 on: August 01, 2022, 05:11:41 pm »
Bouht a vintage geiger counter on ebay. Conditon statement was used but description said "untested. but we all know that ebay consider the selected condition paramount.
It arrived today and guess what, two very badly corroded D cells inside  |O second one won't come out at all.
A nice meassage to the seller got "you have to pay for return postage" and  "can't list as anything other than new or used in that category" which is not true. I ponited this out ad said I'd take a 50% refund. They said no somewhat rudely  :palm:
So I said I can't post it back becuase the knackerd battery won't come out and Royal Mail says you can't post any kind of damaged battery.
I think that in the section the seller is talking about, they are correct, however, there is still plenty of opportunity when they invite you to give a more detailed description further in the listing. Go ahead and open a dispute, the seller is not going to play ball with you, I doubt.

I double checked, even starting a trial listing, and there is a for "parts or not working" condition option in the listed category.

Yes, correct, I should have known that seeing as I have just listed some stuff as "parts or not working"  :palm: But I always make sure that I clearly mention it where I can, other than where I could claim that I accidentally clicked on the wrong thing etc., making it clear to the buyer that it is sold as such.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #128206 on: August 01, 2022, 05:11:59 pm »
That quality of print would be perfect for printing very genuine broken HP feet  :-DD

In defense of broken HP feet, in my experience their demise is typically the result of the wonderful 'packing' job that many sellers do.  Truth be told, I'm surprised that more of them don't break!

I'll never understand the thinking process behind "Oh, a layer or two of corrugated cardboard and no other cushioning is adequate to ship a heavy instrument!"   :wtf: :palm:

There are far too many idiots in the world - we need to remove most warning labels and let Darwin resume his noble work.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, m k

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128207 on: August 01, 2022, 05:15:41 pm »

Error 1 on this instrument appears if it detects an error on POST, like corrupt calibration data, normally caused by the RAM battery failing. This meter can be calibrated via the front panel. It is a good performer, 5.5 digit with a 210,000 count.

Cost here is £38.50 if free.
Hmm, why should it cost more, here in the UK its currently at £30 plus £10 p&p
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128208 on: August 01, 2022, 05:22:21 pm »
I did consider it myself for a while there, but decided against it after discovering that my occupational pension pot has had almost 30% of its value wiped out since Dec 2021 thanks to this bloody cost of living crisis. So I'll have to keep on with my state pension and topping that up monthly from my inheritance that Mum left me, while hoping that the economy turns around and starts to inflate the pension pot again, fingers crossed  :'(

Mind you, it would keep my other 1906 company, trouble is that it has no bleeding diode mode  :wtf:

Meant to add regarding pensions. Having similar problems in that department. I was going a ridiculous matched contributions deal where I put 22% of my salary into pension and company contributes a matching 22%. But at the end of the day it’s not worth it because the 22% contribution won’t break even when I cash it in.  So I’ve shit canned my whole contribution now.

I’m not even going to start on the whole cash situation. I need to get it in property again ASAP but can’t until this deal is 100% closed and I’m out.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128209 on: August 01, 2022, 05:25:46 pm »

Another muppet putting their garbage on eBay rather than in the dumpster where it belongs.

mnem
nice pants.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128210 on: August 01, 2022, 05:28:16 pm »

mnem

Wow, that is a monster of an engine, just what my land yacht could do with to make it into the world's fastest land yacht,  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128211 on: August 01, 2022, 05:31:49 pm »

Cost here is £38.50 if free.
Hmm, why should it cost more, here in the UK its currently at £30 plus £10 p&p

Corrected.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128212 on: August 01, 2022, 05:34:24 pm »

Meant to add regarding pensions. Having similar problems in that department. I was going a ridiculous matched contributions deal where I put 22% of my salary into pension and company contributes a matching 22%. But at the end of the day it’s not worth it because the 22% contribution won’t break even when I cash it in.  So I’ve shit canned my whole contribution now.

I’m not even going to start on the whole cash situation. I need to get it in property again ASAP but can’t until this deal is 100% closed and I’m out.

With the rate the inflation is shooting up here in the UK, now might be a good time to start buying up all the wheelbarrows possible because people are going to need them to carry all their money in when they go shopping, and then use them again when they wheel home the loaf of bread they managed to grab for a barrow load of cash  |O |O |O
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128213 on: August 01, 2022, 05:39:19 pm »
Meanwhile, in other news, I now have a couple of incoming replacement 12 digit LED displays that will be a drop-in replacement for my 2 sick Commodore calculators, thanks to a fellow forum member austfox from down under, "good on ya cobber"  :-+
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 06:15:53 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #128214 on: August 01, 2022, 05:42:08 pm »
I'm not a speed demon. I've only picked up one ticket ever, and that was in a new 30mph limit. I really don't like driving and keeping an eye open for speed traps. I think it's dangerous. I'd rather concentrate on driving.

I seem to pick one up once a decade through sheer carelessness; since going gliding it seems I take less notice of signs but am better at reacting to avoid potential hazards.

We used to work for different parts of the same large company. I remembered your name because you used to post on alt.sci.skeptic. I introduced myself at the Chippenham rally a year back.

I'm sure you live south of Bristol. I live north of Bristol.

Ah, gotcha!

Strictly speaking I live west of Brizzle, but if you believed the long-distance road directions I would live south!

There are a few rallies later in the year that are a bit far, but I think I'll do. Milton Keynes or Torbay. Hack Green because it's been recommended.

There's also the tiny one at Weston-super-Mud.

Not going to trog to MK without good reason (please don't mention TNMoC).

I've wondered about Hack Green but thought it too far, or the National Rally near Newark but that doesn't seem to be happening.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128215 on: August 01, 2022, 05:42:46 pm »
Went to the Chippenham hamfest. Put some treasures in the car, but couldn't be bothered to try to sell anything in a field in the drizzle.

One bloke had a three Tek2712 and two Tek492 21GHz spectrum analysers. One of the former was shown working on a pure sine wave inverter; the display was just about visible. One 492 had a broken blue screen shield and was missing a handle, which is essential for that lump of metal. Said he would sell them for £300, but hadn't when I left.

Didn't get much. A couple of metal enclosures for £1 each, yet another Cropico resistance box (cal ran out in 2014) all resistors measure OK, and some banana plugs.

I don't think much is sold at rallies for over £250 a pop.

What with one thing and another I missed it. It's small but it's been OK and worth the trip when I've been there in the past.

FRARS and Rugby are next for me. Rugby has been pretty good. I used to go up the A429 (Fosse Way) which was a nice drive, but they've turned it into one big speed trap.

I’m considering FRARS. Can make a day out of it and go and play on the coast for a bit.

Main concern is that it’s close to my moving date and I’ve got enough shit already to move  :-DD

Wimborne, right? Bit of a slog from this side of London for a 10am start. That's the problem with hamfests, earlyish start combined with being somewhere that's not worth an overnight stay beforehand.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128216 on: August 01, 2022, 05:48:18 pm »

Inflation is a killer; remember the rule of 72. At 10% inflation the value is halved in 7.2 years (ish).

My daughter will get my inheritance; she needs it more than me.

I see no reason why the (UK) econcomy will turn around; we're in an omnicrisis, not a crisis. Having said that, 12 month inflation will seem to fall 12 months after, for example, the start of the latest Ukraine invasion.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128217 on: August 01, 2022, 05:51:18 pm »
That quality of print would be perfect for printing very genuine broken HP feet  :-DD

In defense of broken HP feet, in my experience their demise is typically the result of the wonderful 'packing' job that many sellers do.  Truth be told, I'm surprised that more of them don't break!

I'll never understand the thinking process behind "Oh, a layer or two of corrugated cardboard and no other cushioning is adequate to ship a heavy instrument!"   :wtf: :palm:

There are far too many idiots in the world - we need to remove most warning labels and let Darwin resume his noble work.

-Pat

I know someone who makes a large part of his income selling antiques, and particularly model trains, on ebay. He said that when he first started, he didn't realise how well packed things had to be. He soon found out.

Someone comes by a piece of test equipment like that. They picked it up at an auction or it came from a deceased family member. They sell it on ebay. They are struggling to find a box to put it in. They have to go out and buy plastic chips and bubble pack, so they are tempted not to.

I've heard stories of bakelite radios turning up in pieces, packed in a couple of plastic carrier bags. That is plain stupid.

Then there's the treatment these things receive at the hands of the courier. That can be anything from normal rough treatment, chucked in the back of vans, to thrown 5 ft onto concrete.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, grizewald, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128218 on: August 01, 2022, 05:55:06 pm »

Oh, that's easy. The thinking process is a null concept.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128219 on: August 01, 2022, 05:56:23 pm »
Sorry Saskia, they are all a bunch of perverts here as you can see, you can't say nothing without them twisting it  :-//
I think Saskia already knows that by now  ;)

Wait... what...? Somebody's being a perv in here and it wasn't me...?  :o

mnem
*resident pervy little dwagon fancier*

You're slacking, so someone decided to step up for you.   :P :P :P   -Pat
Yeeeah... I haven't mastered the art of generating useful content and stirring the shit at the same time.  :-DD

mnem

...maybe if I use my tail...?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128220 on: August 01, 2022, 06:02:02 pm »
I need to get it in property again ASAP but can’t until this deal is 100% closed and I’m out.

The problem is that the property prices have been rising (ridiculously) over the past couple of decades due to the low bank loan rates.

The estate agent mantra is "don't worry about the multiple you are borrowing, only the affordability matters". Until, that is, rates rise, people lose jobs, can't afford repayments and negative equity looms. The last time that happened "Bradley Stoke" was renamed "Sadly Broke". I remember the earlier version where interest rates went from 9% to 15%. That hurt, and I avoided the issue in '89.

Now, if "cash is king" isn't true anymore and property isn't liquid (or edible!), where should money be stashed? Answers in a PhD thesis, please.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128221 on: August 01, 2022, 06:09:45 pm »
Best laid plans.

1)  The neighbours are back so work on that side of the yard near their patio is on hold, which is fine because of
2)  Some wind damage happened on the opposite side of the yard so I would be taking care of that as a higher priority anyways, and
3)  I've been looking at a potential surprise test equipment purchase and doing some research.

We'll see how item 3 goes.  I need to go back out and finish off number 2 first.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128222 on: August 01, 2022, 06:22:53 pm »
I'm not a speed demon. I've only picked up one ticket ever, and that was in a new 30mph limit. I really don't like driving and keeping an eye open for speed traps. I think it's dangerous. I'd rather concentrate on driving.

I seem to pick one up once a decade through sheer carelessness; since going gliding it seems I take less notice of signs but am better at reacting to avoid potential hazards.

We used to work for different parts of the same large company. I remembered your name because you used to post on alt.sci.skeptic. I introduced myself at the Chippenham rally a year back.

Ah, gotcha!

Strictly speaking I live west of Brizzle, but if you believed the long-distance road directions I would live south!

There are a few rallies later in the year that are a bit far, but I think I'll do. Milton Keynes or Torbay. Hack Green because it's been recommended.

I've wondered about Hack Green but thought it too far, or the National Rally near Newark but that doesn't seem to be happening.
you need to either install TomTom maps on your phone and pay the subscription or grab one of their stand alone sat navs with lifetime free updates to maps and camera database, that way you get a gentle reminder if you're speeding on most roads and also get advance warning of any speed cameras and red light cameras as you approach them. I have never received a speeding ticket in 56 years of driving.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128223 on: August 01, 2022, 06:26:36 pm »

Ah, gotcha!

you need to either install TomTom maps on your phone and pay the subscription or grab one of their stand alone sat navs with lifetime free updates to maps and camera database, that way you get a gentle reminder if you're speeding on most roads and also get advance warning of any speed cameras and red light cameras as you approach them. I have never received a speeding ticket in 56 years of driving.

I have considered doing that if I ever had two concurrent convictions.

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128224 on: August 01, 2022, 06:39:51 pm »

I haven't been to TNMoC but I mean to go.

The one at W-s-M is very small but it's quite close, probably very close to you.

I was recommended to go to Hack Green because the rally is good and the bunker is worth seeing.

MK and Torbay are the same day and both the same distance, Torbay is the easier drive. It's a question of which is likely to be the best.

There's one in Newport, just across the Severn bridge.

I'm prepared to go further after two years of rally deprivation.

Newark seems to be on.

https://www.nationalhamfest.org.uk/

I have friends who live in Mansfield I've been meaning to visit for a time. Hmm, I could combine the two. Somehow it seems not the done thing to disappear in the middle of the weekend and come back with a load of old junk.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf