Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16944230 times)

Neepa, Vince and 97 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #126475 on: July 16, 2022, 06:33:46 pm »
Seen some shit in my time but this ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362782549796

:palm: :palm: :palm:
Holy shit, I'm not surprised at it not working. It's like I said in another post, some people lack brains and what makes it even worse is that more than likely some stupid dipshit will more than likely buy this as well  :palm:

Hey, at least you can see everything that's been robbed off it before you waste your time & money... and if I were in dire need of something it actually has, I might pay more than I want to for it to save myself myself the guilt of robbing it off a decent example.  :-//

Just sayin'...

mnem
might, I say... might. If I were really desperate for that part.
Yep, you'd have to be really desperate for that part as after seeing the clear abuse it has been subjected to, their is real and dangerous possiblity that that part is going to be equally knackered one way or another  :-DD :-DD

WTF is that POS? I might use it for target practice.  :palm:

My ebay had sponsored items.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401923441791
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362782549633
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362782550703
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362782549700
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401923441776

Maybe it's a some sort of a demolition procedure for old instruments.

I remember that back in the day Xerox had a scrap chassis sledge hammering procedure.
Even an accountant of some sort was on site verifying how it goes.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #126476 on: July 16, 2022, 06:40:04 pm »
was just down the basement bodging a little fan into an hp1740a.  according to the fluke temp probe those poor little rectifier bridges were cooking along at 165-170 F.  the replacement bridge was just as hot.

after installing the fan they all measure at 105-100 F.

while doing this i had a feeling that someone somewhere was talking about me.

no idea who it could have been, but thankfully you fine gentlemen would NEVER do such a thing.

Calling us "gentlemen" in itself is a stretch.  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, nixiefreqq, 0culus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #126477 on: July 16, 2022, 06:40:41 pm »
Well, hopefully this break will give you a chance to seek out and hire some competent workers.

He doesn't have a choice - housing association property, therefore not his call.

Uggghhh... missed that part. Is that like subsidized/government managed housing over here, or like "Deed Restricted" "Homeowner's Association" crap where you supposedly own your property but some dipshit PTA queen has final say over the color of your drapes if they face the street?

I'm assuming the former... but after some of the horror stories I've heard, I wouldn't be surprised if "approved contractors" were also part of the latter over there.  :palm:

mnem
*sand-ily*
Actually it's neither, the house used to be owned by the Local Council and I rented it from them. Then they transferred all their housing stock to a housing association as part of the Governments great idea of let's sell off as much as we possibly can to raise some cash for itself and then put more money into the hands of wealthy people via the tenants rental payments.

That rather misrepresents the rôle of a housing association. Housing associations are set up on a statutory not-for-profit basis as suppliers of rented property that grew out of the Victorian philanthropic schemes that various people such as Peabody set up, and later stepped in to manage former council housing stock precisely as a way of getting it into the hands of organisations with some positive social ethos as opposed to for-profit commercial landlords. Nobody is getting rich off your rent, indeed housing association properties are often rented out, as was council housing, at significantly less than market rents.

I used to know a penniless artist (now deceased) whose work is on my walls who lived in a Peabody flat in Brownhart Gardens, just around the corner from Bond Street (for the 'Merkins that's like saying "just off 5th Avenue"). Needless to say, a penniless artist wouldn't be even able to consider paying a fully commercial rent there. Current purchase prices for property in that area start at several million and just go up.

While that may be true in theory, as a housing association tenant I can tell you that the reality falls some way short of that.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126478 on: July 16, 2022, 06:45:51 pm »
Discord is rolling btw
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126479 on: July 16, 2022, 06:55:58 pm »
was just down the basement bodging a little fan into an hp1740a.  according to the fluke temp probe those poor little rectifier bridges were cooking along at 165-170 F.  the replacement bridge was just as hot.

no idea who it could have been, but thankfully you fine gentlemen would NEVER do such a thing.

Oh hell those run super hot in the 1740A. My crappy solution:

From: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-1740a-power-supply-burn-up/

The whole thread is worth referring to if you like HP pr0n.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, nixiefreqq, cyclin_al

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126480 on: July 16, 2022, 07:15:02 pm »
put a fan in the other 1740 too.

would like to take credit for bridge replacement in that one.......but do not remember doing it.

is it possible that my brain refused to remember something so fugly?
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126481 on: July 16, 2022, 07:19:59 pm »
New TEA
What could it be?

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126482 on: July 16, 2022, 07:47:53 pm »
A probe to detect radioactivity. Red LED means it found Plutonium. Green LED means it's Uranium.

Yellow LED means it's so dangerous that the probe can't even figure out what the hell it is, so you must run for your life just in case....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126483 on: July 16, 2022, 08:03:47 pm »
A probe to detect radioactivity. Red LED means it found Plutonium. Green LED means it's Uranium.

Yellow LED means it's so dangerous that the probe can't even figure out what the hell it is, so you must run for your life just in case....

Nope.
Both LEDs are red. Nothing to do with ionising radiation either.
A clue, it's not a logic probe.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126484 on: July 16, 2022, 08:13:34 pm »
Hopefully not an anal probe...

@Robert if you don't mind sharing, what did you offer on the Keithley 199? (no I'm not still annoyed that you beat me to the punch   :-DD  )
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126485 on: July 16, 2022, 08:20:34 pm »
(Guess) Hall probe to tell you which way the current is flowing?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #126486 on: July 16, 2022, 08:23:13 pm »

Typically, except for some of the newer areas of Sydney (where things are underground and I've never investigated what is buried), you will find four wires strung from pole to pole down the street, making access to 3 phase physically straightforward to anyone who wants it.  From any given pole, several homes are fed and you will usually see a similar number of connections to each phase - so phase balancing by household.  It is really easy to identify the neutral. ;D
In Sweden, most single-occupancy homes have a buried 3x10+10mm2 cable, fed from a partly buried cabinet.

The cabinet usually feeds on the order of 10 houses and is on a ring mains of perhaps 3x95+69mm2 Al cable from a transformer that's typically around 100-300m away at most.

The 10sqmm cable will, at shorter lengths, allow 25A main fuses giving a total of 17,25kW power counted as single phase loads. It's fused in the buried cabinet, usually 35A, and then in the meter board at the customers ordered capacity.

Microinverters feel like the appropriate direction, but that's just one of a couple of significant decisions that will require some homework.

Microinverters typically are EMC "tested" as single units and not with any significant cabling attached. Any possible practical application will deviate significantly from this easy scenario. As a result, both military signals units and civil aviation authority in Sweden have issued owners of installed microinverter systems with notices forbidding them to operate said devices. Even if you're not close enough to a facility of that kind, and even if you're prepared to ignore hams, imagine what such EMC rampage does to measuring gnat farts with your 3458A!

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126487 on: July 16, 2022, 08:47:55 pm »
Seen some shit in my time but this ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362782549796

:palm: :palm: :palm:
Holy shit, I'm not surprised at it not working. It's like I said in another post, some people lack brains and what makes it even worse is that more than likely some stupid dipshit will more than likely buy this as well  :palm:

Hey, at least you can see everything that's been robbed off it before you waste your time & money... and if I were in dire need of something it actually has, I might pay more than I want to for it to save myself myself the guilt of robbing it off a decent example.  :-//

Just sayin'...

mnem
might, I say... might. If I were really desperate for that part.
Yep, you'd have to be really desperate for that part as after seeing the clear abuse it has been subjected to, their is real and dangerous possiblity that that part is going to be equally knackered one way or another  :-DD :-DD

WTF is that POS? I might use it for target practice.  :palm:

Naaah... not that bad. Timebase knob is in good shape, and it has those trapezoidal switch caps bd139 needs also in nice & black finish. I'd offer the moke 10 quid for it.

This is what I'd find more worrisome. Ships from the US but does not ship to the US. I know exactly where that is; I've been there. I suspect maybe they've had a irate customer come dot a eye for 'em or summat.  :-DD

I've seen this vendor before too; they're regulars in the "TE Junque" trade. :-//

mnem
 :-BROKE

That seller & others use separate listings, for different groups of countries they ship too, here it is with US shipping (+$28) https://www.ebay.com/itm/362707415754

Which is probably more than the knobs & transistors are worth.  :-DD

They are probably an E-waste company and like many others they sell some of it one ebay, others items are complete & not trashed. It's probably not worth their time to remove parts & list them separately.

David

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #126488 on: July 16, 2022, 08:57:45 pm »
That said, I think I could still downsize from 40+ to say 30 scopes.... maybe. Just... maybe.
Down to just 16 here however another 11 are coming and another 10 to follow that.
Downsizing is certainly possible and generally very beneficial.  :)

I feel inadequate at 5 of which 2 are in the repair queue.

OTOH, I've got a 5245L in the queue as well. On that one, my dirty secret is that I mighta zapped the 7V rail by gorilla-probing. Not a proud moment.

Electro-technique pics from today's museum visit:

Sign on a cabinet:

"Schematic included":

In my series of "stickers for laptops", those are probably close to the top in what I'd like to make.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126489 on: July 16, 2022, 09:17:35 pm »
That seller & others use separate listings, for different groups of countries they ship too, here it is with US shipping (+$28) https://www.ebay.com/itm/362707415754

I had contact with them as I am interested in 2 items. Shipping is of course expensive to EU ($4.00 in US, abt. $80.00 to EU), they offered combined shipping but did not enlist a personal ebay offer for me. And for some stupid reason ebay does not allow to send an inquiry for combined shipping, after trying to send it ebay refuses with a message the "seller indicated to not offer combined shipping".
Anyone from the US able and willing to forward to me? If yes, PM me.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126490 on: July 16, 2022, 09:28:49 pm »
There is a option in ebay to disable combined shipping, whether the seller turned it on by accident, or intent, or it's the default option is another matter.

I've finally had some success with getting international shipping added to an item I really wanted, annoyingly ebay made it very difficult for them, as international was disabled by default, then when they had turned it on most countries were still excluded by default, thankfully after several messages back & too last night I was finally able to buy it.
It's Systron Donner DMM, model 7005A with options; 01 auto ranging, 02 AC volts, 03 resistance & 04 DC mA. Ignore the markings in red for mV (option 07), you can't have this option if DC mA 04 is fitted, as they use the same connector.

David
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 09:35:33 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, Cubdriver, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, duckduck, m k

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126491 on: July 16, 2022, 09:40:35 pm »
There is a option in ebay to disable combined shipping, whether the seller turned it on by accident or intent is another matter.

Yes, but the implementation is made by an idiot: You can save all the items to the basket, then ask for combined shipping. eBay will let you do this and you enter a message and if you then hit the button, it cocks a snook at you  :palm:

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126492 on: July 16, 2022, 09:51:46 pm »

Nope.
Both LEDs are red. Nothing to do with ionising radiation either.
A clue, it's not a logic probe.

I know ! Spec keeps saying how COVID is picking up in the UK.... so I guess it's a COVID probe that you stick in the nose !!  >:D

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126493 on: July 16, 2022, 09:54:03 pm »
I suspect it's a major problem in many places, certainly Shango066 mentioned it was getting out of hand in LA, in last weeks TV/radio repair videos and he was unable to go on a planned abandoned mine exploring trip.

There is a option in ebay to disable combined shipping, whether the seller turned it on by accident or intent is another matter.

Yes, but the implementation is made by an idiot: You can save all the items to the basket, then ask for combined shipping. eBay will let you do this and you enter a message and if you then hit the button, it cocks a snook at you  :palm:

I know, been there tried it too, ebay code is shite.  :bullshit:

David

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126494 on: July 16, 2022, 09:57:02 pm »
There is a option in ebay to disable combined shipping, whether the seller turned it on by accident, or intent, or it's the default option is another matter.

I've finally had some success with getting international shipping added to an item I really wanted, annoyingly ebay made it very difficult for them, as international was disabled by default, then when they had turned it on most countries were still excluded by default, thankfully after several messages back & too last night I was finally able to buy it.
It's Systron Donner DMM, model 7005A with options; 01 auto ranging, 02 AC volts, 03 resistance & 04 DC mA. Ignore the markings in red for mV (option 07), you can't have this option if DC mA 04 is fitted, as they use the same connector.

David

Wow, ncie bit of kit !!  :-+

Sure was well worth the Ebay trouble, you have been rewarded.

Looks really nice, no less than 6 digits DVM, impressed. Must be really super accurate and fancy inside.

I mean my Rochar Nixie DVM is quite nice I find, at 0.1% accuracy, yet it has only 4 digits. So your new toy with 2 more digits must have truly incredible specs then, much better than 0.1%.
Also, my Rochar has pots on the front panel to adjust zero offset, and full scale deviation... so not super stable. But yours doesn't have that despite it's, I presume, much better accuracy. So it must be really state of the art inside.

Waiting for the tear down pics now...

Does it have a printer output at the back ?

When do you think you might be receiving it ??  A couple weeks ?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:03:47 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126495 on: July 16, 2022, 10:03:50 pm »
@Vince:

No need to fiddle around with funny hydraulic presses or so. Just get a set with an approbiate hydraulic tool for 209 Euro (NAWTS):

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_ssn=cnc-speedmetal&store_name=cncspeedmetal&_oac=1&_dmd=1&store_cat=11854325012

If you want good quality, go after the Greenlee sets but they are three times more expensive, if available.

Found this set for a price about of one new punch and die. It had some light rust and three worn out punches I left out. Now after some intensive cleaning I’m ready for serious punching  8)

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, syau, AVGresponding, BILLPOD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #126496 on: July 16, 2022, 11:07:18 pm »
@Vince:

No need to fiddle around with funny hydraulic presses or so. Just get a set with an approbiate hydraulic tool for 209 Euro (NAWTS):

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_ssn=cnc-speedmetal&store_name=cncspeedmetal&_oac=1&_dmd=1&store_cat=11854325012

If you want good quality, go after the Greenlee sets but they are three times more expensive, if available.

Found this set for a price about of one new punch and die. It had some light rust and three worn out punches I left out. Now after some intensive cleaning I’m ready for serious punching  8)
Really good score  :-+
A few more dies in various shapes and you'll have a fantastic punch set !  :clap:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126497 on: July 16, 2022, 11:59:26 pm »
@Vince:

It is literally impossible to imagine any negative consequence from more Finnish participation in this thread.

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #126498 on: July 17, 2022, 12:49:53 am »

I wasn't talking. I was listening and giggling.  :-DD

mnem
gentle-dwagon, BTW.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #126499 on: July 17, 2022, 12:53:58 am »

Oh hell those run super hot in the 1740A. My crappy solution:

From: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-1740a-power-supply-burn-up/

The whole thread is worth referring to if you like HP pr0n.

Jeebus, bd... did you make a heat-sink from a fork?!?

What, are you bucking for med's crown as King of the Booty-Fab...?  :-DD

mnem
 :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf