Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16941727 times)

Grandchuck, aeug, wkb, factory, BrianInTexas, Andrew_Debbie and 175 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #126450 on: July 16, 2022, 04:27:39 pm »
Seen some shit in my time but this ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362782549796

:palm: :palm: :palm:
Holy shit, I'm not surprised at it not working. It's like I said in another post, some people lack brains and what makes it even worse is that more than likely some stupid dipshit will more than likely buy this as well  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #126451 on: July 16, 2022, 04:36:51 pm »
I received a very special package, which certain people on this forum should appreciate.  >:D >:D >:D

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Carl_Smith, BU508A, exor, bd139, ch_scr

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #126452 on: July 16, 2022, 04:44:55 pm »
Trip report:

To escape the the heat, visit fortifications.

To manage wine buying habits, install reinforced springs on your car.

Accidental TE:

From Fort d'Uxegney just west of Epinal. Meter is from the original 1914 installation of "Groupes Electrogènes" in the fort.

Today, having visited the immaculate condition fort above, we're going to teach the realities of war, with a visit to forts Douaumont and Vaux, along with the actual boneyard,  outside Verdun.
After having been to Munster, you should consider going to Saumur:

https://www.museedesblindes.fr/

We did of course not miss Saumur, and naturally observed the "Always wear another Panzer museum T-shirt" rule; I wore my brand new "Bis einer heult" from DPM, and Middle Boy wore his "Panzer:innen", also from Munster. (To Munster I wore the Valentine T-shirt from Bovington  and he wore the Arsenalen T-shirt from the Swedish museum. )

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126453 on: July 16, 2022, 04:46:10 pm »
I received a very special package, which certain people on this forum should appreciate.  >:D >:D >:D

We approve, apart from someone who shall not be mentioned  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126454 on: July 16, 2022, 04:57:36 pm »
Well that's nice, but it has 2 things wrong with it, 1/ it has a really crappy LCD screen which seriously detracts from its usability, poor resolution and contrast, 2/ It doesn't  have an = key  :-DD

The second, is not really a problem, just an inconvenience and requires a small rewire of one's brain in order to work it correctly, the first is in my view a major design flaw especially when the cost is taken into account, a few cents more on the BOM and it could have been a winner.  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #126455 on: July 16, 2022, 04:58:59 pm »
A bit of fun today on the bench.
First I reassembled the first one of roughly three IBM Thinkpad T42 laptops from the box of parts I have. I have one good one that I use for the times I need an old laptop with a real parallel port or dual PCMCIA slots etc which works great, so time to build up a couple working laptops to sell off.

Then it was time to fix a Philips PM 5518-TX VPS colour TV pattern generator. I have two and this one with the RGB output option wasn't working but it just turned out to be the main logic board that needed to be reseated, so it got a bit of Deoxit on the card edge connector for good measure. The second one (without RGB output) will get sold off.

And finally, I dug out this Trio (Kenwood) CS-1577 30MHz analogue dual-trace scope.
I bought it years ago, like maybe 6 years for peanuts, I think maybe 1000yen, or less than US$10... and it had some new capacitors installed and a bunch of stuff deoxited by me at the time, but I never got around to reassembling it properly.
I somewhat reassembled it a few months back and found no trace, so now I want to get rid of it I thought I'd get it working..

So far I have found it works fine in X-Y mode with a beautiful trace, so HV works, the input board works, and the PSU is ok.
But when I try to use it in Y-V mode, no trace...
After poking around at the panel controls I found if I hit the trigger reset button a trace briefly flashes on the screen, showing the expected waveform but only for a brief moment.

Ok, so the horizontal is working, but the trigger is somehow busted. Luckily I have the schematics, so time to go huntin'..........  :-/O  :-BROKE
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 05:01:16 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, Specmaster, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, syau, Zoli

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #126456 on: July 16, 2022, 04:59:21 pm »

Holy shit, I'm not surprised at it not working. It's like I said in another post, some people lack brains and what makes it even worse is that more than likely some stupid dipshit will more than likely buy this as well  :palm:

Hey, at least you can see everything that's been robbed off it before you waste your time & money... and if I were in dire need of something it actually has, I might pay more than I want to for it to save myself myself the guilt of robbing it off a decent example.  :-//

Just sayin'...

mnem
might, I say... might. If I were really desperate for that part.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126457 on: July 16, 2022, 04:59:33 pm »

Heh, I resemble that remark  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126458 on: July 16, 2022, 05:02:00 pm »
Well that's nice, but it has 2 things wrong with it, 1/ it has a really crappy LCD screen which seriously detracts from its usability, poor resolution and contrast, 2/ It doesn't  have an = key  :-DD

The second, is not really a problem, just an inconvenience and requires a small rewire of one's brain in order to work it correctly, the first is in my view a major design flaw especially when the cost is taken into account, a few cents more on the BOM and it could have been a winner.  :popcorn:

Ah, but there you'd be wrong! This is an example of a later 48GX that has the high contrast screen (standard on the 49 and 50g). Very hard to find.  :P

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #126459 on: July 16, 2022, 05:02:25 pm »

I think, he meant our orange-glowing-addicted friend from over the pond. :D

Discord is open for the early birds.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, 0culus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126460 on: July 16, 2022, 05:02:42 pm »

Hey, at least you can see everything that's been robbed off it before you waste your time & money... and if I were in dire need of something it actually has, I might pay more than I want to for it to save myself myself the guilt of robbing it off a decent example.  :-//

Just sayin'...

mnem
Yep, you'd have to be really desperate for that part as after seeing the clear abuse it has been subjected to, their is real and dangerous possiblity that that part is going to be equally knackered one way or another  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126461 on: July 16, 2022, 05:12:13 pm »

I think, he meant our orange-glowing-addicted friend from over the pond. :D

Discord is open for the early birds.
I don't think I'm going to be on it tonight either, I still have plenty of things to get done here that have been delayed yet again because we had to the weekly shopping for Mother-in-Law as Sister-in-Law who normally takes her, has had a nasty accident on the train home from work and has damaged her leg and it's muscles after a fall in the train. A&E have told her to keep off her leg so is unable to go to work, driving, shopping etc, so we also had to do her shopping as well. Then I still have to sift through, 1137 photos taken at the air show yesterday and a bead curtain to sort out for the backdoor in preparation for the massive spike in temperatures we are expecting to hit us soon, so I tender my apologies for yet another no show on discord.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #126462 on: July 16, 2022, 05:13:41 pm »

Just sayin'...

mnem
Yep, you'd have to be really desperate for that part as after seeing the clear abuse it has been subjected to, their is real and dangerous possiblity that that part is going to be equally knackered one way or another  :-DD :-DD

WTF is that POS? I might use it for target practice.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126463 on: July 16, 2022, 05:16:47 pm »

mnem
mmmm... creamed spinach color...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126464 on: July 16, 2022, 05:18:47 pm »

Ah, but there you'd be wrong! This is an example of a later 48GX that has the high contrast screen (standard on the 49 and 50g). Very hard to find.  :P
What, I'd sure hate to see the old screen then, that one would seriously give me a massive headache quickly, like so many of the graphical calculators do, of which I have a few in my collection, that do not see the light of day for that reason. Perhaps I just need to get my eyes tested again but I doubt a fresh set of glasses would make me think that the screen was high resolution  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126465 on: July 16, 2022, 05:25:29 pm »

What, I'd sure hate to see the old screen then, that one would seriously give me a massive headache quickly, like so many of the graphical calculators do, of which I have a few in my collection, that do not see the light of day for that reason. Perhaps I just need to get my eyes tested again but I doubt a fresh set of glasses would make me think that the screen was high resolution  :palm:

Prefer a shit screen on a good calculator myself  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, 0culus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126466 on: July 16, 2022, 05:27:56 pm »

mnem

Hahahaha not seen that. I did actually own a Game Gear  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126467 on: July 16, 2022, 05:30:18 pm »

Just sayin'...

mnem

Naaah... not that bad. Timebase knob is in good shape, and it has those trapezoidal switch caps bd139 needs also in nice & black finish. I'd offer the moke 10 quid for it.

This is what I'd find more worrisome. Ships from the US but does not ship to the US. I know exactly where that is; I've been there. I suspect maybe they've had a irate customer come dot a eye for 'em or summat.  :-DD

I've seen this vendor before too; they're regulars in the "TE Junque" trade. :-//

mnem
 :-BROKE

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126468 on: July 16, 2022, 05:35:16 pm »
Well, hopefully this break will give you a chance to seek out and hire some competent workers.

He doesn't have a choice - housing association property, therefore not his call.

Uggghhh... missed that part. Is that like subsidized/government managed housing over here, or like "Deed Restricted" "Homeowner's Association" crap where you supposedly own your property but some dipshit PTA queen has final say over the color of your drapes if they face the street?

I'm assuming the former... but after some of the horror stories I've heard, I wouldn't be surprised if "approved contractors" were also part of the latter over there.  :palm:

mnem
*sand-ily*
Actually it's neither, the house used to be owned by the Local Council and I rented it from them. Then they transferred all their housing stock to a housing association as part of the Governments great idea of let's sell off as much as we possibly can to raise some cash for itself and then put more money into the hands of wealthy people via the tenants rental payments.

That rather misrepresents the rôle of a housing association. Housing associations are set up on a statutory not-for-profit basis as suppliers of rented property that grew out of the Victorian philanthropic schemes that various people such as Peabody set up, and later stepped in to manage former council housing stock precisely as a way of getting it into the hands of organisations with some positive social ethos as opposed to for-profit commercial landlords. Nobody is getting rich off your rent, indeed housing association properties are often rented out, as was council housing, at significantly less than market rents.

I used to know a penniless artist (now deceased) whose work is on my walls who lived in a Peabody flat in Brownhart Gardens, just around the corner from Bond Street (for the 'Merkins that's like saying "just off 5th Avenue"). Needless to say, a penniless artist wouldn't be even able to consider paying a fully commercial rent there. Current purchase prices for property in that area start at several million and just go up.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126469 on: July 16, 2022, 05:39:24 pm »

mnem

Hahahaha not seen that. I did actually own a Game Gear  :-+

I recently unearthed a Banker Box labeled "Vintage Portables" that I'm pretty sure has at least 2 each of GG, PSP and GBC. Might even have some PSV and 3DS as well.

I'm afraid to open it.
  :-DD

mnem
If you don't know what those acronyms mean, count yourself lucky. ;)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126470 on: July 16, 2022, 05:43:32 pm »

Just sayin'...

mnem

Why does Mr Magoo with a rifle suddenly pop into my head?

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126471 on: July 16, 2022, 05:44:41 pm »

Well, I happen to have an older 48G, and the screen is indeed shite. The screen on the GX shown above is miles better.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126472 on: July 16, 2022, 06:08:39 pm »
<snip>

Naaah... not that bad. Timebase knob is in good shape, and it has those trapezoidal switch caps bd139 needs also in nice & black finish. I'd offer the moke 10 quid for it.

This is what I'd find more worrisome. Ships from the US but does not ship to the US. I know exactly where that is; I've been there. I suspect maybe they've had a irate customer come dot a eye for 'em or summat.  :-DD

I've seen this vendor before too; they're regulars in the "TE Junque" trade. :-//

mnem
 :-BROKE
Ten quid, yah that would be much nearer the value if it had the part you needed, did you clock the price they are asking for it? Fifty-six quid and the GSP want a further one seventy-eight quid and forty pennies just to ship it to us here in the UK, hence you would have to be so desperate for what ever part, that you'd be prepared to kill for it. The total cost would be £134.91, put  just a few more £ to it and buy a new one  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126473 on: July 16, 2022, 06:13:08 pm »

Prefer a shit screen on a good calculator myself  :-DD

Now combine the Casio screen with the workings of the HP, yes it might well be one of the best calculators in the world, but as they are, both have flaws.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126474 on: July 16, 2022, 06:33:20 pm »
was just down the basement bodging a little fan into an hp1740a.  according to the fluke temp probe those poor little rectifier bridges were cooking along at 165-170 F.  the replacement bridge was just as hot.

after installing the fan they all measure at 105-100 F.

while doing this i had a feeling that someone somewhere was talking about me.

no idea who it could have been, but thankfully you fine gentlemen would NEVER do such a thing.

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, 0culus, m k

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf