Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16504116 times)

pheller and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #123650 on: June 21, 2022, 01:40:27 pm »
Edit 2: also never do something you love for a job. It will kill it.

While I understand why you say that, for most of my career I was able to choose to avoid that problem. I suppose that counts as "making my own luck".

I could have done what I enjoyed but it conflicted heavily with having a family and future security so I partitioned it out carefully.

The family consideration limited my choices too, especially w.r.t. taking that fintech job.

You were of the fortunate generation to have bought a house before the estate agents propelled the prices through the roof.

But we had to have saved at an institution for at least 6 months before they would even consider you for a "2.5*+1* salary" mortgage

The affordability was, arguably, the same. Look at the interest rates in the late 70s early 80s. Then look at the changes, which did hurt, since I was already overextended.

I don't think that's quite right. The interest allowed savings to be made without depreciation against inflation unlike now. I actually lost £250 recently just by having money in a bank account...

The ratio of earnings to house price were also considerably more favourable which is the deciding metric, apart from deposit as to actually getting on the market in the first place.

I bought in 2008 and final payment in 2020. Which is why I went into fintech  :-DD

What hit me wasn't the price to earnings ratio, it was the interest to earnings ratio. That's what caused the local name for the late-80s estate bradley Stoke to be Sadly Broke.

I'm not sure what you mean by "interest allowed savings to be made without depreciation against inflation". Basically, what savings? All my money was tied up in the flat.

The savings that you would have needed to collect to pay the initial deposit.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123651 on: June 21, 2022, 01:41:44 pm »
to quote Frank Z: I'm only in it for the money.

I've turned down jobs in favour of ones paying less, and that was the right short and long term decision :)

Me too.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123652 on: June 21, 2022, 02:06:35 pm »
I lent my small bench PSU out last week and needed it today.
So I grabbed a HP 6227B that I found at the back of the garage. Yes I'd forgotten about it  :palm:

It's not a bad PSU. All working properly dispite 15 years waiting in the garage. Only negatives are it's very but has no handle so a bit of a pin to pick up. I have to remember not to use the tilt bail as a handle. The other annoyane is the captive mains lead. Neither are biggies.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #123653 on: June 21, 2022, 02:23:03 pm »
Well, seems the TCP202 current clamp I got with the CT-4 adapter for 15000 yen (US$110 at current exchange rate) in total is working fine. Even detects DC current fine too. Happy days.  ;D

I didn't get the optional bucking coil for measuring higher DC currents, but I know where I can get those parts locally in a case with the foam insert for about 5000yen. (My case is lacking that insert).

Next on the list, find an ADA400A differential probe....
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #123654 on: June 21, 2022, 02:49:04 pm »
argl. Just spent ~750 Pesos for pinball spare parts. Hobbies are expensive ...

750 pesos is only about $37 USD. That's cheap.  :P :P :-DD

ok, this is what I get for being unspecific.
I am referring to Brussels inflation pesos, aka Euros. The stuff that lost 20% to the dollar in recent months.

I know that.

We all knew that.

I was just busting your....ahem....chops.  :-DD

AKA - being a "smart arse" .... but we all knew that too.   ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #123655 on: June 21, 2022, 02:52:12 pm »
Warning: Picture heavy post.

OK gang, here it is. Bent to crap Type 547. First up. Left (CRT) side cover doesn't fit properly. Note the gap at the bottom. If I take the cover and slide it into the top slot and leave the bottom hanging it fits up top but you can see the misfit at the bottom.

Next up. One of the bezel studs is bent. But I don't think that's related to the major issue. Plug-in's do not fit flush with the front panel suggesting that the inner chassis is pushed forward.

The right cover is worse than the left side. Again, if I slide it into the top slot and leave the bottom hanging it fits but look at the gap at the bottom.

And here's the damage. Although it doesn't show up well that voltage selector assembly is pushed in at the bottom. Surprisingly it still comes apart easily. I flipped the scope on it's side and pulled the bottom cover and this nut fell out. No idea where it came from. No visible damage inside. As I stated previously the scope powers up with no issues.

And this tells the story. A square against the front panel shows it's OK.

Not so the rear panel. The entire bottom chassis is bent inward.

How do I straighten this mess? Perhaps a large turnbuckle with 2 metal rods and apply pressure?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, factory, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123656 on: June 21, 2022, 02:52:58 pm »
BRIDGES !

Have a few of those as well, 33 it looks like. A bit a of everything size and package wise.... some small 4 and 6 pin DIP, small round ones, TO220, big SIL packages, and one big square.

They'll all be double diodes right, so technically not a bridge.  :horse:

How do you know it's not a bridge ?

The pins are identified like a bridge would : an ' AC ' symbol on two pins, and a ' - - negative polarity symbol one the last pin. All my dual diodes were marked clearly with actual diode looking symbols, not polarity symbols. So when I hastily sorted these bridges earlier this year, as a first pass trying to sort through all my components, I based my judgement on that. I figured the missing ' + ' pin would just be connected to the metal and that's it.

OK just buzzed it, turns out it 's not. Metal tab is not the positive, it's connected to the negative pin... so it's indeed a dual diode not a bridge, but it could have been a bridge, tehcnically.. you just had no way to be 100% sure.... so sorry but I don't count that as win for you, merely luck.  >:D

All 10 of them, are identical it turns out. Al marked " S5KC20R ".

Couldn't find a datasheet for it, only an old scanned catalog page from some chinese company : " SHINDENGEN Semiconductor ". Never heard of them ? Well now thanks to me, you have ! :-DD

That page also shows an interesting product of theirs, that they named, I quote : " SIDAC bit-directional diode thyristor ".
I don't know what a SIDAC is, and I don't see how it can be a dual diode and a thyristor at the same time. I guess I am just too ignorant again... why don't all manufacturers make this wonderful product...  >:D

OK so I shall be adding them to diode inventory then, I guess....

So they are 200V 5A 300ns fast recovery diodes.

Problem, with any dual diode :  for some of them the datasheet says they are rated, say, at 20A... then somewhere else they will say no it's just marketing BS. 20A is the "total" current... but each diode can only take 10A.

So the problem is that now, it casts a doubt of shadow on EVERY other diode. Most of them don't state if the current they specify is for one individual diode, or the total current for both diodes combined...

So in fact you just can never be 100% sure what current your freaking dual diodes can really take !!  :scared:

Sometimes I hate datasheets !!!  They are supposed to help you understand what the device can do... NOT add CONFUSION instead ! :palm:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 03:09:21 pm by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123657 on: June 21, 2022, 03:05:21 pm »

OK gang, here it is. Bent to crap Type 547.

Wow, quite a bit of work on that one scope indeed !!  :scared:
Too much work actually... I would just leave it like that  :-//

Or.... you get out of your first floor apartment and noisy neighbours, and instead move out into a house with a large garage that you can stuff with all sorts of metal working tools and equipment... and then you can take some classes about metal work !  >:D

That's what I am going to do so I can fix my all boat anchors. Training in aviation had at least one good side.. spent a year learning and practicing metal  fabrication, albeit aluminium parts but hey, I can apply to steel with minor adjustments... more muscle mostly !  :-DD

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 03:07:13 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Andrew_Debbie

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #123658 on: June 21, 2022, 03:05:38 pm »
Sometimes I hate datasheets !!!  They are supposed to help you understand what the device can do... NOT add CONFUSION instead ! :palm:

See my .sig.

You have to read and understand what isn't in the datasheet, and why. Much like reading insurance Ts&Cs, taxation rules, and the general laws of the land.

A special place in hell is reserved for RF semiconductor manufacturers. They have many devices that are useful for fast analogue and digital circuis, but they specify the parameters in a way that precludes knowing whether you will be able to use them for those purposes.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #123659 on: June 21, 2022, 03:06:23 pm »

mnem
I ate all the Father's Day goodies... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123660 on: June 21, 2022, 03:11:22 pm »
The headache is so bad the dragon in the picture can't even spell properly today ! :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #123661 on: June 21, 2022, 03:15:11 pm »

OK gang, here it is. Bent to crap Type 547.

Wow, quite a bit of work on that one scope indeed !!  :scared:
Too much work actually... I would just leave it like that  :-//

Or.... you get out of your first floor apartment and noisy neighbours, and instead move out into a house with a large garage that you can stuff with all sorts of metal working tools and equipment... and then you can take some classes about metal work !  >:D

That's what I am going to do so I can fix my all boat anchors. Training in aviation had at least one good side.. spent a year learning and practicing metal  fabrication, albeit aluminium parts but hey, I can apply to steel with minor adjustments... more muscle mostly !  :-DD

I'm firm on my options.

Fix it and perform a complete restore.

No fix? It will be junked as a parts unit.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123662 on: June 21, 2022, 03:19:08 pm »
   Coffee table ornament?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265740767106
Isn't that a photo of the inside of Robert's second "garage"?  :)
*want*
What, you want the contents of my second garage  ???

You really don't want a large turbofan to play with. They require a huge amount of support. Even to run at ground idle you need a substantial hardstanding and tie downs. A ground start turbine big enough to start it will typically cost more than the turbofan. That's assuming the airstarter is included with the engine. An inadvertent increase in power is likely to be traumatic. There is a reason why they sell for scrap metal value.
Years ago I was offered a similar sized RB211 complete with intake cowl and stand for £500. I declined. It was on the same industrial estate as my work and the boss said I could put it in the carpark. I even had free access to a forklift. They are just a liability. Even to scrap one needs special tools and lifting gear.
Even something medium sized like a Spey only fetches £2000-6000 but a small engine will cost far more.

Doesn't change the "want!!!" factor. Not one iota.  ;)

mnem
Just makes your "want" expand... to include having the "Mad Scientist Secret Island Lair" you need to play with such toys...  >:D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 04:06:15 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123663 on: June 21, 2022, 03:22:47 pm »
After the minivan got stolen, I started pulling the fuel pump fuse and one or two others if I was going to be away from home for more than a day or two with the vehicle left unattended.  I don't think it's foiled any attempts at theft though since I've never come back to find any signs of someone trying to break in and start up any of the vehicles I've had since.  It doesn't rule out the possibility of someone towing or trailering them away vs. stealing them under their own power, but having the fuel pump and a couple of other control power fuses out does give me peace of mind that it wouldn't be as straightforward as normal to steal.  The other thing that changed out of the minivan being stolen was the porch light which also lights up the front part of the driveway stays on all the time, hydro bill be damned.

None of this addresses the problem of the driveway being empty while I'm away on a driving vacation and I have come home and the neighbours have told me they've been woken up by their dog barking and noise in my driveway between their house and mine and seeing scuffs on the side door where someone's tried to kick it open.

Employ geofencing plus the 500 grams solution. This would prevent the thieves from stealing other cars. Declare the situation a sacrifice to the gods and claim religious freedom.

We love accommodating anything and everything here.  As long as it isn't mainstream and as long as it doesn't involve taking care of things for yourself.  I think the Canadian way on this if I find someone trying to steal my car is to hug-a-thug, give them the keys, invite them in to load it up with whatever possessions from my house they also feel like stealing while I cook them a meal respecting their cultural heritage and religious, medical and personal preference dietary restrictions.  And, above all, not stand up for myself because dishing not-nice-ness out to poor misunderstood individuals breaking into houses and stealing cars would be very, very mean and we just can't have that.

I mean, if someone tries to steal my car or break into the house and steal the tools and equipment in my workshop and I come across this and ask them politely to leave, they'd be so traumatized, right?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #123664 on: June 21, 2022, 03:30:05 pm »
I need a nice PSU capable of 400A@5V so max 2KW, any suggestion? Must have a GPIB or somthing I can remote control it with a PC and log the data.

EDIT: also 100A@5V could do the job...

Found it...

A little crusty but 6671A yummy

Wow that's scary !  Are you trying to build a super computer solely out of TTL chips or what ?!  :scared:

No. 3.2V 320Ah LiFePO4 cell test. I am ready to pull the trigger on 64 cells from Chinaland, and I need something to test them prior to use them in my home in the Victron Energy ESS.
Lemon/Chinesium red alert.

More here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/renewable-energy/diy-48v-lifepo4-battery-pack-for-home-ess-(energy-storage-system)-in-2022/

I think I will run them without BMS, only using 20%<->80% SOC.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123665 on: June 21, 2022, 03:32:05 pm »
If they're bad the ship will go up in flames before they burn your house down so I wouldn't worry.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123666 on: June 21, 2022, 03:38:02 pm »
We love accommodating anything and everything here.  As long as it isn't mainstream and as long as it doesn't involve taking care of things for yourself.  I think the Canadian way on this if I find someone trying to steal my car is to hug-a-thug, give them the keys, invite them in to load it up with whatever possessions from my house they also feel like stealing while I cook them a meal respecting their cultural heritage and religious, medical and personal preference dietary restrictions.  And, above all, not stand up for myself because dishing not-nice-ness out to poor misunderstood individuals breaking into houses and stealing cars would be very, very mean and we just can't have that.

I mean, if someone tries to steal my car or break into the house and steal the tools and equipment in my workshop and I come across this and ask them politely to leave, they'd be so traumatized, right?

Not going to make you feel any better sorry, but maybe at least feel not so alone in your misery : everything you said is 100% true here as well, sadly ! :scared:

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #123667 on: June 21, 2022, 03:54:32 pm »
If they're bad the ship will go up in flames before they burn your house down so I wouldn't worry.

Believe it or not the biggest fear I have is not burning my home down, but somehow disappointing my wife with my new system.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123668 on: June 21, 2022, 04:03:14 pm »
Believe it or not the biggest fear I have is not burning my home down, but somehow disappointing my wife with my new system.

Glad I only have the burning the house problem down now. And it's soon not even my house  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123669 on: June 21, 2022, 04:12:56 pm »
The headache is so bad the dragon in the picture can't even spell properly today ! :-DD

Just the usual insulin dump hangover from eating all the wrong stuff for two days in a row... yesterday I ate all my leftover lasagna, Chinese food and Father's Day candy to keep from being tempted for the foreseeable future. Oh, and a everything bagel/cream cheese to top it all off. :-DD

Pretty much a couple weeks' (*does the math*) a month's worth of carbs all in one day.  :palm:

mnem
Misery, yes. But no regrets!!!   :P
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 04:21:39 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123670 on: June 21, 2022, 04:20:53 pm »

Glad I only have the burning the house problem down now. And it's soon not even my house  :-DD

Just make sure that if the fire happens, it's after the new owner legally takes possession.  :-DD

mnem

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123671 on: June 21, 2022, 04:21:46 pm »
Years ago I was offered a similar sized RB211 complete with intake cowl and stand for £500. I declined.

One of those intake cowls plus some pond liner makes a very effective aero-themed hot tub, I've seen it done.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123672 on: June 21, 2022, 04:27:33 pm »

Just the usual insulin dump hangover from eating all the wrong stuff for two days in a row... yesterday I ate all my leftover lasagna, Chinese food and Father's Day candy to keep from being tempted for the foreseeable future. Oh, and a everything bagel/cream cheese to top it all off. :-DD

Pretty much a couple weeks' (*does the math*) a month's worth of carbs all in one day.  :palm:

mnem
Misery, yes. But no regrets!!!   :P

Know that feeling. Got burrito carbs fall out this afternoon  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #123673 on: June 21, 2022, 04:44:02 pm »
Backfisch it is. burp.
now doing 10 km penance.
as for the topic of being polite to burglars: this is why you need a good well behaved dog. like a Malinois. It would dispose of the burglar in a way that gives you deniability.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123674 on: June 21, 2022, 04:59:11 pm »

Welcome back Andrew ! :D

Don't recognize the background in your pics... have you moved the lab to a different room in the house ? Can't see your cheap very funky chinese bench meters nor cool keyboard either.

Good luck with the bike, stay safe !  :scared:

I'm back in my office at work.      The MRI scanner was failing QA with S/N a few dB out of spec.  I brought in my counter and a scanner radio to check for unwanted signal.     Didn't find anything unexpected and now the scanner is passing QA again.

< shrug >

Easier to bring the OCXO to the counter than bring the counter home.

Riding a motorcycle  is scary for me. With time, hopefully I'll be less scared and still alive.   Fuel is £2.00/l   ~$10/gal-US.   We've been priced out of getting another electric car.    The little Honda should get close to  100mpg ~ 45km/l.

125cc  11kW (14.7hp)@10,000RPM    ABS.   Decent built quality.

Stay scared, it's what keeps you from getting scarred. I did a stint as a motorcycle dispatch rider in London back in the 80s so I'm no lilly-livered fair weather only motorcyclist. That said, I'm honestly not too sure that I'd want to take it up again. The Volvo drivers have got blinder and the Volvos have got bigger. They're added Audi and BMW drivers to their ranks as well. Plus you now have to contend with the crowd of Deliveroo riders getting under your feet at every step of the way.

You'll have to learn to dump some bad habits from car driving. While you shouldn't brake while cornering in a car you can get away with it and most drivers do it occasionally. Do it on a bike other than on a perfect road surface at low speed and you'll be very lucky if the bike doesn't disappear from under you and start sliding down the road. The first time you drop the bike, and you will drop the bike at some point, will be when you didn't brake in a straight line when you should have done so.

No matter how obvious your presence is, assume that every other bugger on the roads hasn't seen you and isn't going to. I once got knocked off my bike (a Yamaha X7 two stroke that was still bloody noisy at idle) while I was completely stationary in a queue of traffic, wearing high-vis, by a pedestrian that just walked into the side of me.

There's a list of other "You can get away with it in a car, but it isn't going to fly on a bike, instead you are!" things that I won't bore people with a rendition of here. I'd strongly advise finding a copy of the current version of "Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook" and digesting it.

I used to love motorcycling, and it might seem I'm being a bit heavy handed here with the safety tips, but several of my erstwhile biking friends died on motorcycles, and some of the survivors are now part titanium. I'm evidence that you can survive motorcycling unscathed, but it requires taking your roadcraft to a whole new level.

Have fun and keep safe.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, duckduck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf