Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16506893 times)

Robert763 and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #123625 on: June 21, 2022, 11:19:35 am »

I think you nailed it perfectly with regard to the pie, that one you can eat and enjoy. But good luck getting one past the German customs , they can smell food from a mile away and they confiscate it as it has not got all the correct documentation with it.

Not inside the EU; that'd be an unfair bloçage:-DD

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123626 on: June 21, 2022, 11:23:27 am »
How does the meters indicate teh reading ? They just have scale from 0 to 9 and the needle is moved to the appropriate "digit" ?
Why not just use also column displays for all th 8 digits ?! Plus, the emlters take more space (wider) than the column displays.... or use 8 meters instead... ?!
What's the deal with those meters ?

Yup - they just indicate the reading on the scale.  Haven’t dug into the circuitry of the counter yet, so I don’t know why they went analog on the two lowest digits.

-Pat

Thanks.  Looks like the ones on that pic need some fixing, they kinda display illegal values me think !  :-DD

Factory's ideai about the last two digits being the fastest ones, might be why but.... meter or column display, in either case they aren't doing the counting, only the displaying, it's the counter driving them that handles the speed, not the display... so to me one could use either type of dispaly no matter if it's associated to a fast position or not.... might try to find a service manual for the thing and have a look at that to satisfy my curiosity...

I suspect that they are center-zero meters - note the dot at center scale - perhaps a reference for setting the mechanical zero point.  I haven't found a manual for it yet (haven't dug too deeply into it so far) but will learn more once I can locate something.  Have an evil bay search up, but figure finding a hardcopy will be a very long shot.

-Pat

Good point, didn't notice that dot in the center !  :-+

Hard copy yeah gonne be difficult indeed, but if you could find a PDF manual somewhere, at least the schematics so we can see how the counters and display drivers are designed, that would go cool  8)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123627 on: June 21, 2022, 11:26:26 am »

Oh again ! I did spot this thing, but though to myself hey looks like a nice beefy PSU, didn't know Tek made PSUs, would be cool to find one some day !  :-DD
Yes, a PSU it is indeed, admittedly but !  :-DD
Makes more sense now...
Anyways, a super rare PSU that must be...
Back to TekWiki for you, Vince!
As there is the CPS250 and the PS2510/2511/2520 series. (The PS28x series shall be not mentioned). There is also the 'Engineering Power Supply' and of course the PS modules of the TM500/TM5000 series.
I also thought that there was an earlier one in the 1xx designation range, or maybe an amplifier which could be used as such, but I could be wrong here, as I can't find anything about it.

Nope, none of the above qualifies I am afraid, it's all modern solid state stuff !  >:D

The pic was about vacuum tube stuff, so I was referring only to PSU's of that era and style/looks.
Looked at all the PSUs listed on Tekwiki and found none that qualify. Well there are a couple but only special purpose ones made to work for a particular piece of Tek TE, just like that big PSU on the pic is meant to work with the 575 curve tracer.
In that case, this one should qualify, I think:
https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Engineering_Power_Supply

Oh yes it does qualify indeed, good find ! :-+

Sadly as you can see, it's not a commercial product... unless you are an ex Tek employee with connections in the R&D department, I don't know how you oculd lay your hands on one of these.... who ever owns the one taken in pictures on Tekwiki must know how rare it is and I guess treasure it like there is no tomorrow...

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123628 on: June 21, 2022, 11:36:01 am »
How does the meters indicate teh reading ? They just have scale from 0 to 9 and the needle is moved to the appropriate "digit" ?
Why not just use also column displays for all th 8 digits ?! Plus, the emlters take more space (wider) than the column displays.... or use 8 meters instead... ?!
What's the deal with those meters ?

Yup - they just indicate the reading on the scale.  Haven’t dug into the circuitry of the counter yet, so I don’t know why they went analog on the two lowest digits.

-Pat

Thanks.  Looks like the ones on that pic need some fixing, they kinda display illegal values me think !  :-DD

Factory's ideai about the last two digits being the fastest ones, might be why but.... meter or column display, in either case they aren't doing the counting, only the displaying, it's the counter driving them that handles the speed, not the display... so to me one could use either type of dispaly no matter if it's associated to a fast position or not.... might try to find a service manual for the thing and have a look at that to satisfy my curiosity...

They probably are displaying the count, where the count is stored as a voltage.

My Tek 184 time mark generator has /2 and /5 circuits made with three transistors, some resisitors and diodes. Each input pulse deposits a glug of charge on a capacitor thus increasing the voltage. When a threshold is reached, the capacitor is discharged and a glug is deposited on the next counter. Input 10MHz, output 5s, in 1-5-10 stages.

BD even simulated and implemented it... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2678745/?topicseen#msg2678745

Thanks for the lin,k to BD's experiment !

I am starting to realize just how much he love design and analog stuff.... so much so that I am now completely baffled as to how/why he went into IT rather than study EE and work as a H/W engineer ?!  :-//

What happened BD ? Where did you take the wrong turn ? What evil made you think IT was cool ?

From your recent posts, it looks like your lust for H/W design had you interested in these new little things called personal computers... which then had you  program them in assembly language beause it was cool and interesting and you could control what the H/W was doing... then it was too late already : you would do more and programming and less and less H/W. Then soon the computer H/W became quickly out of hand, too powerful and complex, programmers would become less and less aware of the H/W their S/W was running on, S/W was becoming a thing of its own, completely disconnected from the H/W, the big "divide" was set in stone, and before you knew it, you had been kicked out of electronics H/W and locked in the prison made of keyboard and screen and text editors....

Or was it something else entirely ? Tell us the BD story, BD !  >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123629 on: June 21, 2022, 11:47:56 am »
Fuck all money in it.  That's it!

Edit: Qualified as EE, got hired by defence sector, ended up writing code for RF and power test systems. Then I wrote a small EMS system to replace the paper system that was used for test management. Then I ended up writing most of the ERP system for the company. Then I ended up looking after their CAD and Unix systems. Then I got fed up of being paid fuck all and jumped into the IT sector. I doubled my salary overnight.

Edit 2: also never do something you love for a job. It will kill it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 11:54:19 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, syau, Neper

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #123630 on: June 21, 2022, 12:03:03 pm »

I think you nailed it perfectly with regard to the pie, that one you can eat and enjoy. But good luck getting one past the German customs , they can smell food from a mile away and they confiscate it as it has not got all the correct documentation with it.

Not inside the EU; that'd be an unfair bloçage:-DD

which is why you can import Surströmming, but not British pies ...
... unless they are exported via Irland ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123631 on: June 21, 2022, 12:04:21 pm »

I just had another look at that drawer full of 0.1" headers and yeah finally found the proper type ! Somehow I missed it the first time....
Don't have much of it though, a quarter of one strip no more.

Tell me which was the type - both sides square or both sides cylindrical contacts?

Square pins, male, straight, single row.. see pic !  >:D

Well I couldn't help, I sorted them to see what I have exactly... no less than 12 different types ! Thanks Neomys !  >:D

I guess I ought to split them into several drawers to make it easier to find stuff in the future...

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 01:37:03 pm by Vince »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #123632 on: June 21, 2022, 12:10:18 pm »
What happened BD ? Where did you take the wrong turn ? What evil made you think IT was cool ?

From your recent posts, it looks like your lust for H/W design had you interested in these new little things called personal computers... which then had you  program them in assembly language beause it was cool and interesting and you could control what the H/W was doing... then it was too late already : you would do more and programming and less and less H/W. Then soon the computer H/W became quickly out of hand, too powerful and complex, programmers would become less and less aware of the H/W their S/W was running on, S/W was becoming a thing of its own, completely disconnected from the H/W, the big "divide" was set in stone, and before you knew it, you had been kicked out of electronics H/W and locked in the prison made of keyboard and screen and text editors....

Or was it something else entirely ? Tell us the BD story, BD !  >:D

Well, my story (not BD's) is that I started at school on one of these, having a light bulb go on when I twigged how the  Algol-60 compiler related to the hardware, and triumphantly reinventing the concept of FSMs. I also did things like this pre-Vetinari clock, so I was clearly straddling the hardware/software boundary.

At university I created an "Altair 8080" based on a 6800 with 128bytes of RAM, and became interested in micros used for embedded engineering.

That continued at work for a couple of decades, straddling everything from RF propagation to low-noise analogue electronics to semi-custom ICs to expert systems. I continued to enjoy the rigour of maths and predictable designs, and highly competent colleagues. The only annoyance was when HR drones repeatedly asking whether I was "really hardware or really software"; for them I developed disussion points that forceing them to realise they couldn't draw a dividing line, even though they thought it was obvious.

Then I moved towards software running on desktops and servers, some soft realtime, some not. The opportunities were interesting and a graceful extension of my experience. And, of course the number of job vacancies and money in software continued to outpacce those in hardware.

Towards the end I was becoming pissed off by boring technology/applications (=> databases) plus the quality of stuff that too many "developers" emitted from their fingertips, aided and abetted by abysmal development practices. That was particularly evident in my last job, at a fintech company.

So, on retirement I decided to return to something that is more difficult and more enjoyable, since the salary is not an issue.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123633 on: June 21, 2022, 12:12:40 pm »

While I understand why you say that, for most of my career I was able to choose to avoid that problem. I suppose that counts as "making my own luck".
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123634 on: June 21, 2022, 12:23:53 pm »
to quote Frank Z: I'm only in it for the money.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123635 on: June 21, 2022, 12:24:39 pm »
argl. Just spent ~750 Pesos for pinball spare parts. Hobbies are expensive ...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #123636 on: June 21, 2022, 12:28:04 pm »

750 pesos is only about $37 USD. That's cheap.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123637 on: June 21, 2022, 12:29:50 pm »
Towards the end I was becoming pissed off by boring technology/applications (=> databases) plus the quality of stuff that too many "developers" emitted from their fingertips, aided and abetted by abysmal development practices. That was particularly evident in my last job, at a fintech company.

I am there. It's also why I carefully partition and diversify my investments.

You know you're in fintech when everyone around you works mostly in cash.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123638 on: June 21, 2022, 12:30:52 pm »

While I understand why you say that, for most of my career I was able to choose to avoid that problem. I suppose that counts as "making my own luck".

I could have done what I enjoyed but it conflicted heavily with having a family and future security so I partitioned it out carefully.

You were of the fortunate generation to have bought a house before the estate agents propelled the prices through the roof.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 12:35:11 pm by bd139 »

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123639 on: June 21, 2022, 12:32:07 pm »

Welcome back Andrew ! :D

Don't recognize the background in your pics... have you moved the lab to a different room in the house ? Can't see your cheap very funky chinese bench meters nor cool keyboard either.

Good luck with the bike, stay safe !  :scared:

I'm back in my office at work.      The MRI scanner was failing QA with S/N a few dB out of spec.  I brought in my counter and a scanner radio to check for unwanted signal.     Didn't find anything unexpected and now the scanner is passing QA again.

< shrug >

Easier to bring the OCXO to the counter than bring the counter home.

Riding a motorcycle  is scary for me. With time, hopefully I'll be less scared and still alive.   Fuel is £2.00/l   ~$10/gal-US.   We've been priced out of getting another electric car.    The little Honda should get close to  100mpg ~ 45km/l.

125cc  11kW (14.7hp)@10,000RPM    ABS.   Decent built quality.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 12:36:07 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123640 on: June 21, 2022, 12:33:52 pm »

Edit: Qualified as EE, got hired by defence sector, ended up writing code for RF and power test systems. Then I wrote a small EMS system to replace the paper system that was used for test management. Then I ended up writing most of the ERP system for the company. Then I ended up looking after their CAD and Unix systems. Then I got fed up of being paid fuck all and jumped into the IT sector. I doubled my salary overnight.

Wow, so it was all because of your very first job then, scary how luck of the pot can steer your life !  :scared:

I am starting to realize this but 20 years too late, so many years wasted... hence now the feeling of urgency and me having no limits other than space and money for my hobbies. I just do everything I like hobby wise and don't give a fuck about the rest. Hobby is now my top priority and jobs are merely there to support the hobbies. So only criteria for jobs now is quality of life (be close to me so I spend as little time and petrol/money going to / from it, hence more of it available for my personal life), a job that does not destroy my health like aviation has been doing for the past 10 years.
So that's why I am considering going back to electronics if I can (will see, don't know what companies might be in the area), because a tech usually works office hours not shifts (I am done with shifts, killed me) and it's less dangerous... almost died twice in an A350. Once I took a step back in a hurry to let a guy crawl out of a man hole in the center wing box.. didn't have time/think of looking behind me, my foot fell right into the gap between the aircraft and the removable/hinged floor, bad luck.... fell violently and landed on a big fitting an inch from my balls. Nearly lost them as a consequence. A bit traumatic.

Then the next time, was in the front cargo compartment of the center fuselage section. Was trying to walk across a big gap in the floor (temporary floor made of hundreds of small wooden boards / pieces... ) trying to be nice and not disturb guys busy blue painting some rivets on a cross beam. That didn't go well. I lost my balance and fell one mete, straight as an arrow. right leg and bottom of the spine took all the hit. I was so in pain I was white said the guys around me, couldn't even scream, brain was in shutdown mode. That was 4 years ago but I still have spine problems now, hurts all days long and I can't stand up more than a few minutes, and my right leg (which took the hit and rubbed badly against a cross beam during the descent... now is deformed and inflated. That's all for life, will never recover. All that for a misery salary, never a salary increase, not even to cover inflation, and just a bag of crisps when I got fired after 10 years of service !

So yeah... I now don't give a fuck about work life. Only goal is to pay the bills and provide the best quality of life possible. No more shifts, no more risking my life and getting injured all day long in an A/C in all sorts of weird and wonderful body positions... no thanks.

If I am trying to get back into electronics it's to get rid of these problems and have a more "peaceful" professional life... but I certainly won't give a shit about the work itself. I will do it professionally, will do it well, to the best of my abilities... but that's about it. I am not going to work on saturdays for a bag of crisps, or work hard like a slave just for a tap on the shoulder and nice empty talks, and not getting stress get the best of me. If they treat me like shit and keep stressing me to work faster and faster so they can make more money but never pay back.... goodbye, will find another job.

Personal life and hobbies are now my only priorities. Work is merely a necessity to pay the bills, it's not a goal in itself... like I was fooled, manipulated into thinking when I was a kid : "if you work hard at school Vince, you will have a super nice job, lots of money / good life, and have social recognition ". My ass.... studying gets you nothing these days but barely above minimum wage and stagnating salaries.
There is nothing to expect but misery and disappointment from work life.

YMMV depending on location and profile (excluding people working in banking/finances/trading/insurance etc). Talking about Frog land and the average joe / lower middle class / technician level.

Rant over, sorry for the noise...   
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 01:17:26 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, factory, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123641 on: June 21, 2022, 12:39:46 pm »
to quote Frank Z: I'm only in it for the money.

I've turned down jobs in favour of ones paying less, and that was the right short and long term decision :)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123642 on: June 21, 2022, 12:45:17 pm »
problem is that sometimes you have to take what you are offered.
Lots of personal mishaps prevented me from pursuing what I wanted.
Instead I had to take what was offered to stay afloat.

:-//

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123643 on: June 21, 2022, 12:48:15 pm »

ok, this is what I get for being unspecific.
I am referring to Brussels inflation pesos, aka Euros. The stuff that lost 20% to the dollar in recent months.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123644 on: June 21, 2022, 12:58:35 pm »

Welcome back Andrew ! :D

Don't recognize the background in your pics... have you moved the lab to a different room in the house ? Can't see your cheap very funky chinese bench meters nor cool keyboard either.

Good luck with the bike, stay safe !  :scared:

I'm back in my office at work.      The MRI scanner was failing QA with S/N a few dB out of spec.  I brought in my counter and a scanner radio to check for unwanted signal.     Didn't find anything unexpected and now the scanner is passing QA again.

< shrug >

ARGH : reminds me of something suddenly ! in 2010 just before I gave up electronics and left to retrain in aviation, I actually finally found a job in a decently interesting electronics company, finally, but too late I had already taken the decision to give up electronics for good at that time. So I ended p working there only 6 months, waiting for my training to start. Anyway, they had their own R&D bureau, component store, all the machines to make circuit boards for their customer, and even did final product assembly and testing. So I was one of a few technicians there, in charge of troubleshooting / fixing all the units / products that failed production testing.

So one of the products/ customers I was responsible for, was a anti-theft system for stores. You know when you walk out the store you go through two "posts" that detect RFID tags in case you tried to steal razor blades or what not. So the posts, or call them I don't know what, had 3 antennas  in them. So the electronics consisted of a main board that carried 3 identical RF boards, plugged in, credit card sized with an SMA connector for their respective antenna.. Main board also carried a third-party " Rabbit" Ethernet module, for connectivity.
Anyway. so you would power the main board and wire the 3 SMA cables / RF cards outputs, to a test apparatus, a mystery box designed and supplied by the customer.

Well...50% of the time the little RF boards would fail the test ! If run the test 10 times, they would work a few times.... it was luck of the pot, random !
So I had literally HUNDREDS of these RF boards to " fix "... my boss was seeing all these boards accumulating (luckily them being so small, they didn't take that much space), worrying, and asked me how came I was so slow at fixing them !

I told him sorry I can't fix something that's not proven to work to begin with !! I can't do miracles, I am a technician, not the engineer who designed this crap, give it back to him and once it's sorted and PROVEN TO WORK RELIABLY, then yes I stand a chance of fixing these boards !  :palm:

So yeah, RF stuff that works when it feels like it... I  know the pain for sure ! :scared:

Riding a motorcycle  is scary for me. With time, hopefully I'll be less scared and still alive.   Fuel is £2.00/l   ~$10/gal-US.   We've been priced out of getting another electric car.    The little Honda should get close to  100mpg ~ 45km/l.

125cc  11kW (14.7hp)@10,000RPM    ABS.   Decent built quality.

Wow that looks sporty for such a small engine ! :o

Frame suspension and brakes look sized like a 600cc would eh ?! Well I guess that's good, you probably never will have to replace shocks or brakes until you retire, less money spent ! :-+

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 01:02:28 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, Andrew_Debbie, factory

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123645 on: June 21, 2022, 01:01:13 pm »

I could have done what I enjoyed but it conflicted heavily with having a family and future security so I partitioned it out carefully.

The family consideration limited my choices too, especially w.r.t. taking that fintech job.

You were of the fortunate generation to have bought a house before the estate agents propelled the prices through the roof.

But we had to have saved at an institution for at least 6 months before they would even consider you for a "2.5*+1* salary" mortgage

The affordability was, arguably, the same. Look at the interest rates in the late 70s early 80s. Then look at the changes, which did hurt, since I was already overextended.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123646 on: June 21, 2022, 01:09:37 pm »

Wow, so it was all because of your very first job then, scary how luck of the pot can steer your life !  :scared:

I am starting to realize this but 20 years too late, so many years wasted... hence now the feeling of urgency and me having no limits other than space and money. I just do everything I like hobby wise and don't give a fuck about the rest. Hobby is now my top priority and jobs are merely there to support the hobbies. So only criteria for jobs now is quality of life (be close to me so I spent as little time and petrol/money going to / from it, hence more of it available for my personal life), a job that does not destroy my health like aviation has been doing for the past 10 years.
So that's why I am considering going back to electronics if I can (will see, don't know what companies might be in the area), because a tech usually works office hours not shifts (I am done with shifts, killed me); and it's less dangerous... almost died twice in an A350. Once I took a step back to let a guy crawl out of a man hole in the center wing box.. did look behind me, my foot fell right into the gap between the aircraft and the removable/hinged floor, bad luck.... fell violently and landed on a big fitting an inch from my balls. Nearly lost them as a consequence. A bit traumatic.

Then the next time, was in the cargo compartment, tried to walk across a big gap in the floor (temporary floor made of hundreds of small wooden boards pieces... ) trying to be nice and not disturb guy blue painting some rivet on a cross beam. That didn't go well. I lost my balance and fell one meter, straight as an arrow. right leg and bottom of the spine took all the hit. I was so in pain I was white said the guys around me, couldn't even scream, brain was in shutdown mode. That was 4 years ago but I still have spine problem snow, hurts all days long and I can't stand up more than a few second, and my right leg (which took the hit and rubbed badly against a cross beam during the decent... now is deformed and inflated. That's all for life. All that for a misery salary, never a salary increase,, not even inflation, and just a bag of crisp when I got fired after 10 years of service !

So yeah... I know don't give a fuck about work life. Only goal is to pay the bills and the best quality of life possible. No more shifts, no more risking my life and getting injured all day long in an A/C in all sorts of weird and wonderful body positions... no thanks.

I am trying to get back into electronics it's to get rid of these problems and have a more peaceful professional life... but I certainly won't give a shit about the work itself. I will do it professionally, will do it well, to the best of my abilities... but that's about it. I am not going to work on saturdays for a bag of crisps, or work hard like a slave just for a tap on the shoulder and nice empty talks, and not getting stress get the best of me. If they treat me like shit and keep stressing me to work faster and faster so they can make more money but never pay back.... goodbye, will find another job.

Personal life and hobbies are now my only priority. Work is merely a necessity to pay the bill, it's not a goal in itself... like I was fooled, manipulated into thinking when I was a kid : "if yuo work hard at school Vince, you will have a super nice job, lots of money / good life, and have social recognition ". My ass.... studying gets you nothing these days but barely above minimum wage and stagnating salaries.
There is nothing to expect but misery and disappointment from work life.

YMMV depending on location and profile. Talking about Frog land and the average joe / lower middle class / technician level.

Rant over, sorry for the noise...

Congratulations on adopting the correct posture in life  :-DD

This is my life. Events like this should be embraced...

So I got given a windows corporate laptop. Fair enough. Another sodding Dell but meh. I cannot work because I need to install WSL2 to get a Linux environment on it. To do that I need elevated privileges. They can't grant that because the security policy says no local admin. To add me as a local admin someone has to connect to the laptop remotely to add me to the Administrators group. They can't do that because when it was provisioned, the remote support software didn't provision properly so they can't access it. I don't have admin access so can't install it either. So I get told to come into the office (about 40 mins away in the car so not a big deal) but I'm 100% remote worker so I say I can't do that. The only option is for me to mail in the laptop so they can sort it and they will mail it back same day. I am told to book a UPS collection and expense it which I say I can't do because I haven't been able to access the expenses portal because the provisioning didn't deploy the link and SSO properly. So the final story that they raised a PO to book UPS to collect a laptop to ship 6 miles away to add me to a group then ship it back to me via UPS. I could drop off at a UPS parcel shop today but no I insisted that they book a pick up. So it's being picked up tomorrow before 14:00 and I can't use it at all tomorrow. I've got booked holiday on Friday and Monday so I'm not even going to be around to collect the delivery. UPS attempt two will be on Monday and they will return to sender because they haven't sent me the tracking ID or given me delivery options.

So I figure this adds up to about 6-7 days of being paid to do fuck all  :-// :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123647 on: June 21, 2022, 01:18:05 pm »

The family consideration limited my choices too, especially w.r.t. taking that fintech job.

But we had to have saved at an institution for at least 6 months before they would even consider you for a "2.5*+1* salary" mortgage

The affordability was, arguably, the same. Look at the interest rates in the late 70s early 80s. Then look at the changes, which did hurt, since I was already overextended.

I don't think that's quite right. The interest allowed savings to be made without depreciation against inflation unlike now. I actually lost £250 recently just by having money in a bank account...

The ratio of earnings to house price were also considerably more favourable which is the deciding metric, apart from deposit as to actually getting on the market in the first place.

I bought in 2008 and final payment in 2020. Which is why I went into fintech  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #123648 on: June 21, 2022, 01:33:29 pm »

ok, this is what I get for being unspecific.
I am referring to Brussels inflation pesos, aka Euros. The stuff that lost 20% to the dollar in recent months.

I know that. I was just busting your....ahem....chops.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123649 on: June 21, 2022, 01:37:31 pm »

I don't think that's quite right. The interest allowed savings to be made without depreciation against inflation unlike now. I actually lost £250 recently just by having money in a bank account...

The ratio of earnings to house price were also considerably more favourable which is the deciding metric, apart from deposit as to actually getting on the market in the first place.

I bought in 2008 and final payment in 2020. Which is why I went into fintech  :-DD

What hit me wasn't the price to earnings ratio, it was the interest to earnings ratio. That's what caused the local name for the late-80s estate bradley Stoke to be Sadly Broke.

I'm not sure what you mean by "interest allowed savings to be made without depreciation against inflation". Basically, what savings? All my money was tied up in the flat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf