Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16909359 times)

Ice-Tea, chronos42 and 86 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #123100 on: June 16, 2022, 04:31:24 pm »
One thing to point out though. The Nuvistors are considerably more robust than the FETs are  :-DD Oh and more fun

Given how the pre-amp stage is so nicely isolated from the rest of the scope... it seems to me one could pretty easily mod the circuit with more modern MOSFETs that are considerably tougher...?

mnem
 :-//

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 04:49:24 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #123101 on: June 16, 2022, 04:32:57 pm »
I had to pop the cover off my 54657A to iron out this hickey:
PIC
in the shell, so I took a couple pix of the inside for comparison and future reference.

Yup... DALLAS DS1244Y-120 & DS1245Y-120; I read the date as 2002, so maybe a few more years if I'm really lucky.

Ghaaaah. ~$90 just for the two NVRAM, then I need to get a working programmer. *sigh* I also need to do the same thing with the NVRAM in my 3478A...  :palm:

Nope. If I'm gonna spend that money, it'll be on the 54659A I actually want on my scope, not this module that I bought just cuz it was cheap and right there. :P

I'm just gonna button this one up and use it til it loses its mind.   :-\

mnem
*tinker-tinker... putter-putter...*
I can send you over my old Willem  >:D Then you can convince it to work from an RPI GPIO using Python  :-DD :-DD :-DD
As side inspiration, I've seen some Dallas replacement projects, but for TEK - sorry  >:D Maybe is time to do it for HP?  :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123102 on: June 16, 2022, 04:34:33 pm »
One thing to point out though. The Nuvistors are considerably more robust than the FETs are  :-DD Oh and more fun

Given how the stage is so nicely isolated from the rest of the scope... it seems to me one could pretty easily mod the circuit with more modern FETs that are considerably tougher...?

mnem

It was only really MOSFETs that had any robustness improvements really. Normal JFETs are about the same really.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123103 on: June 16, 2022, 04:48:26 pm »

Given how the stage is so nicely isolated from the rest of the scope... it seems to me one could pretty easily mod the circuit with more modern MOSFETs that are considerably tougher...?

mnem

It was only really MOSFETs that had any robustness improvements really. Normal JFETs are about the same really.

Well, yeah, I was figuring a depletion-mode MOSFET. Or is it unlikely one will find anything with appropriate input capacitance/leakage current compared to the JFETs in this application?

Forgive my ignorance; lots of time working with MOSFETs, very little working with JFET.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123104 on: June 16, 2022, 04:55:22 pm »
So total we have 48KB of RAM. But where is the F/W stored, that implements all the extra features ? No EPROM on the board, strange...
I see a chip that might be a micro-controller, so I thought maybe it holds the F/W... it's SCN2661, found the datasheet... oh no, no MCU, just a standalone UART controller to drve the serial port...

So... that means the F/W is stored in RAM ?!!  :wtf:  How evil , twisted do you have to be to do that ! :scared:
So when the batteries go, I don't just lose the user data/ waveforms stored in the RAM, I also lose the brains of the module, it bricks it ! :horse:

Wow... I am truly amazed and shocked....  :(

Vince,

I don't think there is any firmware in the module, the module is just the parallel and serial ports and the extra storage. The storage is needed for the extra functionality which is already built into the firmware of the scope.

I second that, MCU is not needed and is actually more difficult to implement.

What is U4?
My prediction is EEPROM.
If so then you can read it on the fly with PLCC clip, not nice really since you obviously need also a centronics stump.
And of course the clip is a real bargain for a one timer thing.

Well could be but not many pins on that chip, and very few traces going to it. So would have to  be serial memory that the scope would therfore need to spend time at boot up to "unpack" into RAM for fast parallel access. A bit awkward and convoluted... but still technically possible. So, just to make sure, I removed that sticker and had a look.... nope, not a memory. A humble 16V8 PAL chip for glue logic, hence why it's right by the expansion connector and so few lines are going to it. Just doing some address decoding.

So... there is no F/W in the module, so we don't give a crap about losing the contents of the NVRAM chips once they go bad, it's just user data/ stored waveforms, not code nor cal data or anything sensitive...

mnem's module definitely has some ROM but I understand the GPIB controller is self sufficient so the storage must be for something else.
Same U4 is there also, maybe a needed module ID is there, then those battery memories can be totally secondary.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #123105 on: June 16, 2022, 04:59:01 pm »

Ghaaaah. ~$90 just for the two NVRAM, then I need to get a working programmer. *sigh* I also need to do the same thing with the NVRAM in my 3478A...  :palm:

All my 3478A's have a separate battery backed SRAM/etc. So replacing the battery is just replacing the battery, not the memory chip.

Were there different revisions using the Dallas chips?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #123106 on: June 16, 2022, 05:07:15 pm »
OK, I picked up the 5 meters. Here's the picture of the first...

I'll correct the "mad eye Moody" effect before flogging it for a fortune on fleabay.

I like it!

Not enough to buy it.

Needs a finishing touch I think, perhaps a big pink tongue on the needle, and then contrive to feed a varying voltage to it, such as a 0.5Hz sine with a DC offset in the centre of the scale.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 05:08:53 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123107 on: June 16, 2022, 05:17:21 pm »
hey mnem

not that it matters much.

but your dallas chips are more likely 1992 week 45.

that would be more consistent with U3 being 1989 and U15 being 1992 week 41.

free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123108 on: June 16, 2022, 05:19:26 pm »
PIC
in the shell, so I took a couple pix of the inside for comparison and future reference.

Yup... DALLAS DS1244Y-120 & DS1245Y-120; I read the date as 2002, so maybe a few more years if I'm really lucky.

Nope. If I'm gonna spend that money, it'll be on the 54659A I actually want on my scope, not this module that I bought just cuz it was cheap and right there. :P

mnem
I can send you over my old Willem  >:D Then you can convince it to work from an RPI GPIO using Python  :-DD :-DD :-DD
As side inspiration, I've seen some Dallas replacement projects, but for TEK - sorry  >:D Maybe is time to do it for HP?  :-DD :-DD :-DD

You mean like this and the similar mod for the 246x family?

Or you mean hacking the epoxy and doing one of these...? Given how expensive the chips are, might do that once any data is extracted; but not likely gonna wanna try that on a live NVRAM still on the board...

For extracting the data backups I've several times considered doing something like the AR488 GPIB:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/ar488-arduino-based-gpib-adapter/

But so far, I have not been able to convince myself to take the deep dive.  :-DD

mnem
 :o
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 05:21:13 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123109 on: June 16, 2022, 05:28:25 pm »
So total we have 48KB of RAM. But where is the F/W stored, that implements all the extra features ? No EPROM on the board, strange...
I see a chip that might be a micro-controller, so I thought maybe it holds the F/W... it's SCN2661, found the datasheet... oh no, no MCU, just a standalone UART controller to drve the serial port...

So... that means the F/W is stored in RAM ?!!  :wtf:  How evil , twisted do you have to be to do that ! :scared:
So when the batteries go, I don't just lose the user data/ waveforms stored in the RAM, I also lose the brains of the module, it bricks it ! :horse:

Wow... I am truly amazed and shocked....  :(

Vince,

I don't think there is any firmware in the module, the module is just the parallel and serial ports and the extra storage. The storage is needed for the extra functionality which is already built into the firmware of the scope.

I second that, MCU is not needed and is actually more difficult to implement.

What is U4?
My prediction is EEPROM.
If so then you can read it on the fly with PLCC clip, not nice really since you obviously need also a centronics stump.
And of course the clip is a real bargain for a one timer thing.

Well could be but not many pins on that chip, and very few traces going to it. So would have to  be serial memory that the scope would therfore need to spend time at boot up to "unpack" into RAM for fast parallel access. A bit awkward and convoluted... but still technically possible. So, just to make sure, I removed that sticker and had a look.... nope, not a memory. A humble 16V8 PAL chip for glue logic, hence why it's right by the expansion connector and so few lines are going to it. Just doing some address decoding.

So... there is no F/W in the module, so we don't give a crap about losing the contents of the NVRAM chips once they go bad, it's just user data/ stored waveforms, not code nor cal data or anything sensitive...

mnem's module definitely has some ROM but I understand the GPIB controller is self sufficient so the storage must be for something else.
Same U4 is there also, maybe a needed module ID is there, then those battery memories can be totally secondary.

Yes, it is my understanding that these modules all contain software for various math functions (and the extra space in there is where the games are stored) as well as additional storage for waveforms. The difference between them is the additional I/O, whether RS-232 & Parallel port, GPIB, etc... and whatever FW/SW is needed to make that interface work.

mnem

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #123110 on: June 16, 2022, 05:30:50 pm »
PIC

mnem

Or you mean hacking the epoxy and doing one of these...? Given how expensive the chips are, might do that once any data is extracted; but not likely gonna wanna try that on a live NVRAM still on the board...

For extracting the data backups I've several times considered doing something like the AR488 GPIB:

But so far, I have not been able to convince myself to take the deep dive.  :-DD

mnem
Nope, I meant something like:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/reverse-engineer-dallas-ds1742w/
Challenge accepted?

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #123111 on: June 16, 2022, 05:32:09 pm »
Hey, that's my hand!
PIC

mnem

mnem

Hey, that's my hand!  :-DD

I've been thinking of taking to a Dallas NVRAM with a bastard file, take the top off and expose then remove the old battery and glue a new battery holder on top.

The good thing about the TDS500, 600, 700 series scopes is the cal data is held in some I2C PROM chips on tje acquisition board so you don't need to recal after playing with the NVRAMs.
It's trivial to read out the contents of the NVRAMs via GPIB, have at the chips to make a Frankenstein's monster, then stick them back in and load the data back on via GPIB again.

Might be more dicey for equipment that has cal data and other critical data unless you rip and dump it, but once you have a copy of the data backed up, file away! :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, factory, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #123112 on: June 16, 2022, 05:33:15 pm »
Someone on here was after one of these iirc?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265737962421

This is confusing...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115426720808

Green LEDs FTW! Hopefully brighter than the pic suggests:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225030536254

This poor old thing seems past saving to me, but maybe someone can love it:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185465698603

Data logging, old skool:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295040057246

BNIB Sig:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334473340438

Used but clean 'Lent:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155034606838

Just to trigger the hFE-on-a-DMM haters:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295035026225

I'm curious as to how they plan to ship these:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314034213063  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314034213080

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123113 on: June 16, 2022, 05:43:41 pm »
mine are from 1992 also
free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123114 on: June 16, 2022, 05:43:52 pm »
hey mnem, not that it matters much. but your dallas chips are more likely 1992 week 45. that would be more consistent with U3 being 1989 and U15 being 1992 week 41.

Yeah, except I believe this whole family of scopes wasn't released until mid-late 90s... tho I suppose the module could've come from one of the older families of HP scopes...? :-//

mnem
 :-/O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123115 on: June 16, 2022, 05:59:04 pm »

All my 3478A's have a separate battery backed SRAM/etc. So replacing the battery is just replacing the battery, not the memory chip.

Were there different revisions using the Dallas chips?
Oh, it looks like I was thinking of this thread about the 3458A I read a while back:  :palm:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/3458a-how-do-i-read-the-dallas-non-volatile-sram-date-codes/   

From that pic, it appears nixie is correct about the date code, and I was looking at the wrong number.  :-[

mnem
*toddles off to make some lunch*

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123116 on: June 16, 2022, 06:02:46 pm »

Not data logging. Fairly unknown and now useless device. It’s actually an off air frequency standard. Uses 200kHz and has a OCXO inside it. The the chart recorder actually records the drift.

So one for the time nuts. But only UK time nuts.

Useless because someone moved the reference to 198KHz.

If anyone else doesn’t want it I may have a go at it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 06:04:43 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123117 on: June 16, 2022, 06:10:38 pm »
...As side inspiration, I've seen some Dallas replacement projects, but for TEK - sorry  >:D Maybe is time to do it for HP?  :-DD :-DD :-DD
https://youtu.be/ve-MnHakY6Y   

mnem
Nope, I meant something like:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/reverse-engineer-dallas-ds1742w/ Challenge accepted?

If I had a working GPIB adapter and software to extract the data, and maybe a little better Kung-Fu to know  :wtf: I were actually doing, yeah. That's all part of the "deep-dive" I was talking about. Of course I'm not at all afraid to do a little grinder abuse.  :-DD

mnem
*lunch-ify*
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 06:12:30 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123118 on: June 16, 2022, 06:12:01 pm »
hey mnem, not that it matters much. but your dallas chips are more likely 1992 week 45. that would be more consistent with U3 being 1989 and U15 being 1992 week 41.

Yeah, except I believe this whole family of scopes wasn't released until mid-late 90s... tho I suppose the module could've come from one of the older families of HP scopes...? :-//

mnem
 :-/O

1992. Little bit earlier. First got my hands on one in 1993

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123119 on: June 16, 2022, 06:12:42 pm »
OK, but what makes the Type 422 so special?

No...you can't have mine.  :-DD

No ICs. A late 453 will suffice too  :-DD

No fan either in the 422.  :-DD Knowing how much bd139 hates them.

David

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123120 on: June 16, 2022, 06:14:12 pm »

Not data logging. Fairly unknown and now useless device. It’s actually an off air frequency standard. Uses 200kHz and has a OCXO inside it. The the chart recorder actually records the drift.

I put an offer on that last night, will probably have to bid for it as no response so far.
We might not even have the off-air reference much longer, as the BBC don't seem very interested in the future of LW/MW broadcasting.
Edit: note these do not contain a OCXO.

David
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 06:42:58 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123121 on: June 16, 2022, 06:15:27 pm »

I put an offer on that last night, will probably have to bid for it as no response so far.

David

Ok will leave it in your capable hands then  :-+

We expect tear downs  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: factory, cyclin_al

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123122 on: June 16, 2022, 06:20:48 pm »
I should correct you, as there is no OCXO in those.

David
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 06:24:54 pm by factory »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #123123 on: June 16, 2022, 06:27:32 pm »
Heads up for Brits living in or close to Highbridge, Somerset, you might want to jump on these quickly, I would personally would but way too far away for me.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2-sonartron-digital-valve-voltmeters-and-3-avometers/1434901970

I have already been in contact :)
Did you get them or what?

The seller is busy tomorrow (oops today).
So does that mean that you haven't sealed the deal yet then  :o Well worth taking a risk on IMO, quick before someone else beats you to it.

Just arranged to pick them up tomorrow. On Friday I may be able to a post a picture that is as offensive as that 80yo female.

OK, I picked up the 5 meters. Here's the picture of the first...

I'll correct the "mad eye Moody" effect before flogging it for a fortune on fleabay.

It did make me think of that absolutely dreadful show. It was, apparently, extremely popular in the 60s, but I never understood the attraction.

OTOH yootoob vids of that show are a good way of pointing out to, um, oversensitive youngsters just how much progress has been made.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123124 on: June 16, 2022, 06:29:43 pm »
I should correct you, as there is no OCXO in those.

David

Ah :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf