Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16669833 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, Robert763, nfmax, djadeski and 50 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #122750 on: June 13, 2022, 06:42:06 pm »
A liter?! Can't really believe that, does not look that large.
That's just a guess, based on my Dragon paw mugs, which are 20 oz... let me go find a measuring cup...  :palm:

mnem
 :-//

This is my mug, when I'm in need of huge amounts of coffee. Capacity: 850ml

https://www.amazon.de/Bada-Bing-Kaffeebecher-Matheformeln-Kaffeetasse/dp/B07DVKZD3Q

There's a little riddle: on that cup, there is a tiny mistake. Can you spot it?  ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 06:45:29 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122751 on: June 13, 2022, 06:46:04 pm »
Yesterday arrival: The IdealTek pliers which I've ordered at TME.

Here are some pictures. The grid has minimal distance of 1mm and the resistor is for size comparisons.

The ES6023B:

The ES6025:

Working with the ES6025 is a real joy. Good handling, precise pliers, I like it! Will be a good successor to my P-500.  :-+

Not a tool but my first cherry cake in 2022:

The Gooseberries on the left are part for my fruits in rum, which I've started yesterday as well.
Looks delicious! In here we don’t have Gooseberries or any other berries yet, so rhubarb with rolled oats, butter, brown sugar, raisins, brown syrup and Bacardi Carta Negra will do. This was before the oven, now nothing left. ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 06:47:43 pm by exor »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #122752 on: June 13, 2022, 06:49:41 pm »
How cool! Will show it to my sister, since she is a huge rhubarb fan. :-)
And no, her name is not Barbara!   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, exor, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #122753 on: June 13, 2022, 07:09:08 pm »
:wtf: are you talking about? This is a Canon, not some drug-store POS.  ???

mnem

Eh ? It looks minuscule on that pic  ! Doesn't it ?!  :-//

Either that or it's the mug next to it that's 10 times the size of a normal mug, and can contain a gallon ?!  :scared:

No, that would be this one... which I just got for my dad as a gag Father's Day present. SHHHHH!!!!

mnem
*slight exaggeration. But only slight.

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #122754 on: June 13, 2022, 07:15:13 pm »
:wtf: are you talking about? This is a Canon, not some drug-store POS.  ???

mnem

Either that or it's the mug next to it that's 10 times the size of a normal mug, and can contain a gallon ?!  :scared:

No, that would be this one... which I just got for my dad as a gag Father's Day present. SHHHHH!!!!

mnem

Holy crap - VAT-o-coffee!  The HP mug looks like a shot glass with a handle relative to that lineup!   :o

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #122755 on: June 13, 2022, 07:41:23 pm »
The usual test over here is "If the resistor leg sticks to a magnet, it goes back to where it came from".

That's a VERY good metric.

This can go wrong, for example like these electrolytics,

and these Vishay resistors (OK, it's the resistor body that is magnetic, not the legs)

Well... this pic took me an hour or more to put on my PC, as the usb controller on my Cat S61 seems to have decided to die. Not happy.

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122756 on: June 13, 2022, 07:48:11 pm »
Yes to note it should only be used against your average axial resistors and only the legs  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #122757 on: June 13, 2022, 07:52:51 pm »
My Lovecraft mug for special occasions  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, DH7DN, Atomillo

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #122758 on: June 13, 2022, 07:55:40 pm »
That HP664224A went for a hundred quid plus shipping, someone got a decent bargain there.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 05:11:42 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122759 on: June 13, 2022, 08:04:26 pm »
That HP6642A went for a hundred quid plus shipping, someone got a decent bargain there.

Not bad. Those things weren't cheap when they were new!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #122760 on: June 13, 2022, 08:04:57 pm »
OK, I am have got a mug.

People of a certain age might recognise the one on the left.
I don't know how they made the one in the middle; I've never seen another like it.
The one on the right came from Stanford shopping mall, next to the university.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #122761 on: June 13, 2022, 08:10:24 pm »

mnem

Holy crap - VAT-o-coffee!  The HP mug looks like a shot glass with a handle relative to that lineup!   :o

-Pat
Wifey and I are guessing 50/50 odds whether he uses it as a coffee mug or as a dresser catchall.  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to his son's Junior High Grad-jee-a-shun...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122762 on: June 13, 2022, 08:13:39 pm »
OK, I am have got a mug.

I don't know how they made the one in the middle; I've never seen another like it.

I had a wind up hopping Buzby. Loved it.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122763 on: June 13, 2022, 08:17:07 pm »
OK, I am have got a mug.

Most mugs are slip cast.  You can slip cast any shape as long as the outside surface doesn't have undercuts.

The plaster moulds used for slip casting, even those used for massive runs of standard commercial mugs, are quite short lived things -  a hundred reuses would be exceptional rather than normal. So there's no impetus to re-use a mould once it's made, it's not like an injection moulding mould that represents a big investment.

Two thirds of a slip casting mould, with the freshly cast mug still in situ:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122764 on: June 13, 2022, 08:18:58 pm »
Tektronix 1240 Update:

I finally traced the problem with the horizontal sync down. It was a famous Z-Capacitor C521. It would draw excessive current if fed with more than abt. 2V. The Peak Atlas ESR70 measures it very fine, as there is no DC bias, the capacitance is well in limit and the ESR is not too bad. But it will "regulate" the voltage at Pin 5 of the LM1391N/MC1391P to something like 2.5V. And look what I found out: Tektronix installed it in reverse, as the positive leg goes to ground! Must have been a factory fault as the solder was untouched.

Negative spikes at TP452 (mentioned in separate thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-replacement-diode/) were found to be a measurement artifact, the flyback transformer badly injects pulses to the probe and a slight shift in position gives those spikes observed. But diode CR452 was found to be perfectly OK.

Now the deflection snychronises and a stable picture is drawn.

Replaced the Li-Iodine on processor board by a CR2032 holder, just to be sure.

Ongoing work will be some ROM PACKS,  build some TTL Pods P6462 which does not require custom Tek ICs (Pods are prohibitive expensive if available) and maybe build a GPIB COMM PACK.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, med6753, bd139, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #122765 on: June 13, 2022, 08:19:33 pm »
The TE gods are not smiling upon me today. Got everything back together and STILL have no -15V.  :wtf:

The only thing left is either the transformer or CR1472 has gone tits up. Measured transformer. 19.1VAC. Output from CR1472. 0 volts. There are no shorts. CR1472 is stone cold. It's dead Jim.

IIRC those get unpleasantly hot in normal operation.

Yes. If you have really low impedance capacitors they tend to go bang as well.

Not as hot as the bridges in the Hp 1740A though  :palm:

I don't think this bridge really had a chance to go bang with the new capacitor because there definitely was an open circuit. Mystery as to why it's gone. And yes, all the other bridges get very warm.

Already have the 465 parts mule pulled apart and it has several of what appears to be the same P/N bridges but I will check the parts list.

I wouldn’t replace it with a pulled one. They are a notorious weak point. Even the Chinese no brand ones are better now. I think I got a tube of 50 for the 1740A for the price of one Tek labelled part  :-DD

I do agree. Those old rectifiers aren't not  as good as the modern ones. The combination of old rectifiers and modern capacitors can overload the diodes (peak current). If I had to replace the rectifier, I would certainly go for a modern one. And if the others get warm or hot as well, I would change them, too.

Well the 465 has 3 of the identical P/N (152-0488-0) 200V, 1.5A. I pulled one and I'll install tomorrow and see what happens. If it blows it's cookies I'll give you all the opportunity to snicker and laugh at me.  ;D 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122766 on: June 13, 2022, 08:29:20 pm »
 :-+
OK, I am have got a mug.

Love that Buzby mug  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #122767 on: June 13, 2022, 08:33:18 pm »
Well the 465 has 3 of the identical P/N (152-0488-0) 200V, 1.5A. I pulled one and I'll install tomorrow and see what happens. If it blows it's cookies I'll give you all the opportunity to snicker and laugh at me.  ;D

I do not think it will blow up immediately. But keep an eye on the temperature. If it is getting warm or hot, it will fail sooner or later. Most likely, when Murphy will bite you in the butt.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122768 on: June 13, 2022, 09:05:23 pm »
They sometimes just go bang when you turn them on. Usually when some ham has been inside them so med is fine because he's not a ham  :-DD

And now for something completely different. Poked the Z50 out of the window with the 250mm lens on it.

Need. More. Zoom. This could get expensive  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Mortymore, cyclin_al

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #122769 on: June 13, 2022, 09:05:56 pm »
Coffee mugs?

How many do you want to see?  :-DD

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122770 on: June 13, 2022, 09:43:51 pm »

They are very common here at the north sea. The slanted mug with some obvious references to the wind...

"Sturm ist erst, wenn die Schafe keine Locken mehr haben"
(Storm is not before the sheeps don't have curls anymore)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122771 on: June 13, 2022, 10:06:25 pm »
They sometimes just go bang when you turn them on. Usually when some ham has been inside them so med is fine because he's not a ham  :-DD

And now for something completely different. Poked the Z50 out of the window with the 250mm lens on it.

Back in my Pentax 35mm SLR days I used to have a 500mm f8 mirror (catadioptric) lens that I'd use with a 2x adaptor to make up an effective 1000mm f16 lens for astrophotography.

It was when using that I discovered that it was quite easy on a clear winter's night to get the silver oxide SR44 batteries in the camera cold enough that they'd stop working. (It's quite common when taking astrophotographs to let your camera and lenses cool down for a while before starting so they don't become the source of a heat haze of rising warm air.)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #122772 on: June 13, 2022, 10:14:48 pm »

A couple of hours ago I was on the way to the kitchen when I saw exactly that in the centre of my back window, just above the hills on the horizon. It stopped me in my tracks.

Now I've seen such moons many times before, but not in that position.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #122773 on: June 13, 2022, 10:29:55 pm »
This one is from 2013 - took it with an EOS-M, and EF-M adapter, stacked 1.4x and 2x teleconverters on a 100-400mm zoom at 400mm.  Had to keep tweaking the tripod setting because I could literally watch the moon move across the viewfinder.

I had a pic of the setup somewhere (looked ridiculous - the M looked like a cigarette package on a bazooka), but unfortunately can't put my hands on it.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #122774 on: June 13, 2022, 10:31:37 pm »
Some time ago, I've purchased a Fluke 8060A(parts only, $42.00 - little expensive). Install new alkaline, turn on - no display. Open up, start checking - why the brand new battery has only 8.2V?
Well, the Gorilla was here, and left two shorts(Gorilla1-2.jpg; red arrow:short on the bottom, continued on the top thru a capacitor pin hole). Removing the shorts, the LCD came back to life; time to start the capacitor replacement.
Oops, more Gorilla footprints: broken LCD bracket(LCD_Support.jpg) and button support(Assembly_Support.jpg), Well, I need to dig out/install the Tools_of_Trade: Dremel, vertical tool stand, 0.5mm Carbide drill.
Glued the parts together with CA(Loctite.jpg) as placeholder, then proceed with the drilling. After drilling, add a drop of CA on the top of the hole, move the wires(0.45mm, leftover from the 10µF replacements) in-out a few times to fill the hole with CA, add a drop of accelerator on the top, then let cure for 24 h.
Replace the caps(surprisingly, no leaks) and the MAC socket, let the PCB and MAC soak in isopropanol for 24 h, short iso rinse, then dry for 24h more. Assembly, test - almost spot on. But since it has a good family to join, I've adjusted a bit...
Anyway, when I will have the time, I will make some tools to properly adjust/calibrate the whole family...

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf