Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16930595 times)

shakalnokturn, Robert763 and 143 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #119550 on: May 12, 2022, 04:33:06 pm »

It's entirely possible Craftsman contracted with Vise-Grip to make them; they would get the Vise-Grip patented design along with. They did a lot of that back in the day, when the Crafstman name was more than just marketing wank.

mnem
 :-/O

Who owns the Craftsman name now? Is it Stanley? Black and Decker? Or someone else? I'm too lazy to Google it.

Yeah, Stanley/B&D now own it.   ::)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #119551 on: May 12, 2022, 04:34:52 pm »
<snip>
I can literally throw this entire building into resonance with the heartbeat from Dark Side of the Moon. And I don't give a flying fuck.  ::)
<snip>   
Don't ya just love it when the walls, floors, and windows vibrate and anything that is loose just rattles wildly with that rhythmic drum beat on that sound track  :-DD :-+

My car does that. :)
Alpine X-series 3-way splits, and model specific fitment for OEM look.  8)
Still gotta do the rear speakers, and maybe a subwoofer, but the two 7-inch drivers in the doors make a good job of it.

And sound deadening, boy do I need some of that.....
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119552 on: May 12, 2022, 04:39:03 pm »
Ok guys and dolls, I need some assistance in deciding what the value of this fecking 0805 resistor is, so I can order up a replacement, (well a few because I just know I'm going to struggle a bit with these), both of these have gone for posh one in the sky.

I know the left one is a 47 ohm (or it should be but reads 53K  :o) but on the one the right is O/C and is in series with a diode and connects to the gate on a MosFet.

I keep thinking it could be a 40, 48 or a 49 ohm resistor, I don't know if the value is that critical or not, given that the 47 ohm resistor is also connected to the gate. The other ends of them are both connected to the driver pin of a 1203P60 SMPS controller, data sheet attached.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #119553 on: May 12, 2022, 04:42:04 pm »
Post details of the mods you make to the TDS210 comms module to make it do the maths function here, I'm interested in that as well, might well do the same to mine then as well, please.
I've done it past fall, based on this post/tread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/need-tektronix-tds220-firmware-file/msg1383618/#msg1383618
As the IC's:
RAM: AS6C1008-55SIN
EPROM: AT27C040-90JU
Mouser has them in stock.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, TERRA Operative

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119554 on: May 12, 2022, 04:46:13 pm »

I can personally gaurantee you that is not the first time for that operator error, on the 53310A, possibly twice for me... :-DD

Well, there's a day's time and worry wasted.

Got out my Agilent 53310A MDA to play around looking at the frequency instability of an off-air frequency standard. The inputs shjowed flashing lights but not signal was found. It could self-cal the input offsets, but the input gains failed.

I'd recently recapped the PSU and it worked, but I was left worrying whether I'd screwed something subtly.

Had it apart, voltages were spot on. Was wondering whether I would have to pull it apart and change SMD components on a (double-sided?) PCB. Found a fleabay seller of the input board; noticed that the LEDs and components weren't where I expected them to be.

Eventually I went back and shone a torch on the four inputs that are partially hidden under an overhang typical of the instruments of the time. Found the inputs were not A-B-C-ext as I expected, but were ext-A-B-C.

Made the right connections, and all works perfectly. Grrr. Phew.

Put a small label in a visible place, so I don't make that mistake again.

In my defence, this is what isn't visible...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119555 on: May 12, 2022, 04:57:05 pm »
Post details of the mods you make to the TDS210 comms module to make it do the maths function here, I'm interested in that as well, might well do the same to mine then as well, please.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/need-tektronix-tds220-firmware-file/msg1383618/#msg1383618
As the IC's:
How did you burn the firmware, I don't have anything currently that will do this? I also don't want to spend a fortune acquiring bits and bobs to do it either. I may never actually need the maths functions, but I like the idea of having them just in case I do. 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119556 on: May 12, 2022, 05:04:33 pm »
Ok guys and dolls, I need some assistance in deciding what the value of this fecking 0805 resistor is, so I can order up a replacement, (well a few because I just know I'm going to struggle a bit with these), both of these have gone for posh one in the sky.

I know the left one is a 47 ohm (or it should be but reads 53K  :o) but on the one the right is O/C and is in series with a diode and connects to the gate on a MosFet.

I keep thinking it could be a 40, 48 or a 49 ohm resistor, I don't know if the value is that critical or not, given that the 47 ohm resistor is also connected to the gate. The other ends of them are both connected to the driver pin of a 1203P60 SMPS controller, data sheet attached.
I'd say it's 4R7 - these are there to limit slew rate, and with the diode in series I'd guess they wanted a faster turn off - 1/10th makes sense to me - if it was about 47R why have the diode anyway?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #119557 on: May 12, 2022, 05:11:31 pm »

It's entirely possible Craftsman contracted with Vise-Grip to make them; they would get the Vise-Grip patented design along with. They did a lot of that back in the day, when the Crafstman name was more than just marketing wank.

mnem
 :-/O

Who owns the Craftsman name now? Is it Stanley? Black and Decker? Or someone else? I'm too lazy to Google it.

Yeah, Stanley/B&D now own it.   ::)

-Pat
Pretty sure it's the same megacorp that owns Lowes; not sure if that's the same as B&D/DuhWalt. I went there last night to get some 40 grit sanding belts; their selection of Craftsman tools was bigger than their Kobalt company brand... but all strewn from hell to breakfast down the main aisle in "cardboard kiosk" displays. Just screaming "QWALITEEE!!!", that was...  ::)

mnem
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 05:23:03 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #119558 on: May 12, 2022, 05:32:38 pm »
In a few years I will be moving to somewhere with no neighbours. At that point I'm going to invest in some decent speakers. Until then, for the sake of being a good neighbour, it's earphones (and my monitor speakers which are pretty good). The earphones have the advantage of external moron cancellation that works quite well :-DD
<snip>
The problem with earphones is that they also remove any chance of hearing the doorbell when that Herme's (Evri) driver calls, so he chucks your parcel over the garden gate for you  :-DD

My "earphones" enable me to hear the doorbell.

When they aren't in, I rely on a wireless "portable" receiver with an added flashing light.
Wow, a stereophonic hearing aid

Only in the 1960s record player sense of automatic conversion stereo->mono (using bluetooth I believe). In practice I don't bother with the LH one, unless I'm in a group of people.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #119559 on: May 12, 2022, 05:34:07 pm »
I can personally gaurantee you that is not the first time for that operator error, on the 53310A, possibly twice for me... :-DD

Kind of you to say so.

Senility postponed, at least until PEBCAK errors become too frequent.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 05:45:08 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #119560 on: May 12, 2022, 05:36:18 pm »
As the IC's:
How did you burn the firmware, I don't have anything currently that will do this? I also don't want to spend a fortune acquiring bits and bobs to do it either. I may never actually need the maths functions, but I like the idea of having them just in case I do.
I have a TL866II(and an old Willem programmer :-DD) and the proper PLCC32 adapters. If you are messing around with firmwares(like I do), the TL866II is a must. TDS2MM: the most interesting feature is the rising and fall time measurement.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119561 on: May 12, 2022, 05:51:00 pm »

My sound system in my workshop is THX certified 5.1 speakers and sounds great. I used to have a proper Hi-Fi system in the lounge but SWMBO hated it, to big etc, she was perfectly happy listening to music via Youtube on her iPads built-in crappy speakers :palm:

So as I spend most of my time in the workshop (box room really), I decided to appease here and got rid of the Hi-Fi and make do with the other sound systems I have in the name of harmony and peace to all. :-DD

Reason #25678 why I live alone. Screw that. Turn it up!  :-DD

How many people got into electronics by way of audio?  It was certainly the case for me and a good number of people I know so it's sad seeing the passion that's kicked off so much being forced out so many times.  I'm glad to be on my own too for reasons like that.

I wonder how many sales Bose had over the last 25 years were made to guys trying to keep wives happy?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #119562 on: May 12, 2022, 06:59:09 pm »

My sound system in my workshop is THX certified 5.1 speakers and sounds great. I used to have a proper Hi-Fi system in the lounge but SWMBO hated it, to big etc, she was perfectly happy listening to music via Youtube on her iPads built-in crappy speakers :palm:

So as I spend most of my time in the workshop (box room really), I decided to appease here and got rid of the Hi-Fi and make do with the other sound systems I have in the name of harmony and peace to all. :-DD

Reason #25678 why I live alone. Screw that. Turn it up!  :-DD

How many people got into electronics by way of audio?  It was certainly the case for me and a good number of people I know so it's sad seeing the passion that's kicked off so much being forced out so many times.  I'm glad to be on my own too for reasons like that.

I wonder how many sales Bose had over the last 25 years were made to guys trying to keep wives happy?

I was already into the hobby but my first Heathkit was an AA-14 Amplifier. And it did work the first time I plugged it in.  ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Ole

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119563 on: May 12, 2022, 06:59:36 pm »
I know this is a bit offtopic but:
Apparently the Discord invite to the TEA-Discord doesn´t work.
Is the server still open? And if so can you get an invite?

Ok, now that thats done:
For a project I am working on I intend to aquire a DMM
Either a HP3457 or a Keithley 2000... Time will tell which one, if not both, it will be.
*record scratch noise* Hey, you.
Yes, you. Have an awesome day!

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #119564 on: May 12, 2022, 07:35:35 pm »
Just won a Korg A3.
The 2nd streamer is fixed. Problem was network connectivity. Multiple stacked power line thingies wreak havoc on DHCP. Adding 5 GHz WLAN actually resolved this.
Working on the rest ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119565 on: May 12, 2022, 07:55:32 pm »
I was already into the hobby but my first Heathkit was an AA-14 Amplifier. And it did work the first time I plugged it in.  ;D

For how long?  :-DD

First kit I built (well first kit I could afford to buy to build) was a Maplin CMOS logic probe in 1992. Didn't work because I blew up the 4001BE in it.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119566 on: May 12, 2022, 07:59:06 pm »
...The ubiquitous Mole grip, in case it goes by another name in foreign parts:   

"Mole grip"?   did you make that up?   them there are properly called "vise grips".  and please don't start that vise vs vice bullshit again!

i hereby direct and decree that this be the last and final word on the subject. 

The name "Mole grip" is because that company was the main manufacturer of such devices in the UK, back in the day, so it has the same sort of origin as "hoovering" for using a vacuum cleaner...
I figured it was because you scone-eaters just really like to keep a good hold on your moles. I dunno... for Tax purposes?  :o

mnem
I wonder if those would hold a water-shrew...  >:D
HEY! I heard that!
You are just lucky that my uncle is a very busy man...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119567 on: May 12, 2022, 08:03:26 pm »
The problem with earphones is that they also remove any chance of hearing the doorbell when that Herme's (Evri) driver calls, so he chucks your parcel over the garden gate for you  :-DD

Just mix in the chime. Be sure someone will ring the bell in a pianopianissimo part...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119568 on: May 12, 2022, 08:10:28 pm »
Did I just imagine that or what, did anyone else see it a few minutes ago here, I was on line catching up with events when I noticed that my handle had changed from Specmaster to "Online Specmaster"  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119569 on: May 12, 2022, 08:10:45 pm »
Try “All is full of Love” by Bjork.

For some fun play the "Forward March" by Pat Metheny with elevated sound pressure level.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119570 on: May 12, 2022, 08:34:14 pm »
Did I just imagine that or what, did anyone else see it a few minutes ago here, I was on line catching up with events when I noticed that my handle had changed from Specmaster to "Online Specmaster"  :wtf:

Someone noticed the exact same thing very recently IO remember. Someone did reply with the technical explanation for this, can't remember what that was.

As for me I do see this happening regularly but never thought anything special of it ?!  :-//
Web page always revert to some "degraded" display of some sort whenever there the network is slow and the server is not responding fast enough or god knows what... so it never surprises or worries me the slightest bit... it's just how the internet works...  :-//

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #119571 on: May 12, 2022, 08:35:08 pm »

There shall be no Bose crap in this house.

There is no definition in Bose sound. It is the perfect sound system for a hairdresser's; soapy, slimy, sweet muzak supplier for people who hate music and want acoustic wallpaper.  And don't get me started on their alleged subwoofers. They're mid-HONKers to me. So much low mid resonances that I can pin-point exactly where the  "you can place it anywhere; isn't that convenient?" shit box is.

True marketing slogans (not) from them:

"No highs, no lows,
Gotta be Bose!
"

...and:

"Bose -- better sound through marketing!

The time for lots of actually decent 4" drivers trying to play loud and failing to do it coherently never was, never will be, and it was always a bad idea to start with.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119572 on: May 12, 2022, 08:36:46 pm »
currently streaming Credence Clearwater while adjusting the external Dolby C for the Revox B77 ...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119573 on: May 12, 2022, 08:42:28 pm »
if you want to challenge your stereo set play back the 1812 Overture.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #119574 on: May 12, 2022, 08:48:43 pm »
I know this is a bit offtopic but:
Apparently the Discord invite to the TEA-Discord doesn´t work.
Is the server still open? And if so can you get an invite?
Yeah it's expired and bitseeker needs to update it.

Ping us again .....on your Sat evening when Discord is about to kick off and one of us can flick you an invite to TEA once we know your Discord handle.
We can do this with EEVblog PM's or here in this thread.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Ole

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf