Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16683538 times)

Vince, elevendroids and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #115050 on: March 07, 2022, 06:55:53 pm »
And as far as the shorter change intervals in the USA than in the UK there's a good reason for this and it's not marketing. It has to do with oil viscosity recommendations. The 2004 Civic specifies 5W-20 oil at 10K mile intervals. The 2013 CR-V specifies 0W-20 oil and use the oil life monitor as a guide. Those requirements are NOT for engine protection. They are to meet corporate fuel economy objectives. I could probably give my engines better protection by pissing into the crankcase. If you look at the same engine in Europe (and I have) most recommendations go no lower than 5W-30 and in many cases are higher. Both my engines are on a steady diet of 5W-30 and are perfectly happy with it. So what if I lose a few MPG. It beats a car payment.  ::)

Although I can see the logic in that I find it surprising simply because, traditionally, fuel economy in European countries has been more of an issue than in the US. When I last compared governmental fuel economy objectives between the EU and US, which I will freely admit was a long time ago, the EU objectives were more stringent than the US objectives, so much so that the US objectives looked like a token effort in comparison.

So how do international brands like Honda meet traditionally stricter EU requirements with thicker oils, but have to specify lower viscosity oils to hit US targets? Either the US targets have got tighter than EU targets (which possibility I admit but instinctively doubt, and am currently feeling too lazy to research) or there's something else going on.

I'm too lazy too. I honestly have no clue. Your guess is as good as mine.

Actually, I might have a clue.

Best selling vehicle in the US market? Full size gas guzzling pick-up truck. Followed closely by full size gas guzzling SUV's. In Europe much smaller vehicles are the general rule. So perhaps easier to meet EU fuel economy targets?   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #115051 on: March 07, 2022, 07:06:27 pm »

10k is a reasonable distance.

I forgot you don't have the Diesel culture like we have.
Here practically everything bigger than small grocery carriers were Diesel.
Teens will haul old RWD gas stuff from abroad and some may have gas guzzlers for what ever purposes but that's about it.

I read that Ford 2019- ecoboost gasoline is 30kkm/2y.
So 1.0 liter engine, feels quite much.

If Ford were to offer a 1.0 liter diesel in their Transit Van they would have to send them to the crusher and take a write off and loss because no one would buy them.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #115052 on: March 07, 2022, 07:06:45 pm »
So how do international brands like Honda meet traditionally stricter EU requirements with thicker oils, but have to specify lower viscosity oils to hit US targets? Either the US targets have got tighter than EU targets (which possibility I admit but instinctively doubt, and am currently feeling too lazy to research) or there's something else going on.
That something else is climatic differences where heavier oils are harder and slower to lift in cold climates for initial start up lubrication where greatest engine wear takes place while the engine is cold.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115053 on: March 07, 2022, 08:06:20 pm »
I bought a thing. Rather cheaply, given that it is tested and only has a slight display impairment.
So I am owner of a functional 500MHz programmable Noise Generator now. Anyone in need of getting his signals noisified?

Nice, I have been looking for one of those for a while now. Never really seen one affordable. Great find  :-+

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115054 on: March 07, 2022, 08:10:50 pm »
That something else is climatic differences where heavier oils are harder and slower to lift in cold climates for initial start up lubrication where greatest engine wear takes place while the engine is cold.

Which would surely swing things the other way, all of Europe is north of half the US and all of the US (excluding Alaska) is south of half of Europe (Paris is about the same latitude as the straight bit of the US/Canada border). Taken overall the European climate averages out cooler than the US.

This map is both quite revealing, and quite interesting it its own right, and of course includes all climate information, not just latitude:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115055 on: March 07, 2022, 08:32:46 pm »
The crazy price increases are hitting the automotive consumable market big time. When I was working the CR-V and Civic were on a 6K mile oil change schedule. But now that I'm retired neither go more than 4K-5K/year so I put them on a 1 year oil change schedule regardless of mileage (as long as under 6K miles). Both will be due for an oil change in June. Decided I better stock up on oil/filters now and I'm glad I did. I saw one 5 quart synthetic oil jump from $25USD to $46USD in one day. Purolator economy filters $12USD on Amazon (new stock) vs only $8USD for their premium filter (old stock). Which means restock is probably going to be $15USD or more. Obviously I went with the premium filter and I snagged Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5qt for $25USD from Walmart. You can bet that price will go nuts soon.

The CR-V has 55K miles on it and the original front brake pads. It will be due for NYS Inspection in May and I figure they will need replacement. The prices for new Chinese rotors at the local auto parts stores are ridiculous. The prices for the pads are nuts too. The offerings on Amazon seem to be nothing more than cheap Chinese but not cheap price wise. There is a Honda Dealer in Rhode Island that sells OE Honda parts on line at a discount. I was able to get genuine Honda OE brake pads and rotors cheaper than any other source. That has never happen before. OE is usually the most expensive. $200USD including shipping/tax which is a bargain.

Yep, much the same over here as well, its a by product of the Russia / Ukraine war, Gas (not petrol this time) also is shooting up in price because of the dammed war.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115056 on: March 07, 2022, 08:35:42 pm »

---snip---

As for the vertical alignment "problem" of the ***** tubes, had a first look at it and looks like the answer is simple : the mechanical design of the counter just does not permit to hold the boards firmly in place, never mind an accurate place...
Turns out the boards do NOT have a card edge connectors... no. They have proper board to board connectors. Connector is made of thick round pins.

Those blue connectors are very familiar, even though the make is different. We worked on lots of old BR equipment from the 70s & 80's that used those, but the connectors were made by Smiths & later Hypertac. Pretty sure we had extenders in that size, but probably long gone now, not that I could buy them if they are still there (still won't sell any redundant TE).

P.S. If you find any-more of those Ferisol counters I'd be interested in one.

David

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #115057 on: March 07, 2022, 09:04:51 pm »
And as far as the shorter change intervals in the USA than in the UK there's a good reason for this and it's not marketing. It has to do with oil viscosity recommendations. The 2004 Civic specifies 5W-20 oil at 10K mile intervals. The 2013 CR-V specifies 0W-20 oil and use the oil life monitor as a guide. Those requirements are NOT for engine protection. They are to meet corporate fuel economy objectives. I could probably give my engines better protection by pissing into the crankcase. If you look at the same engine in Europe (and I have) most recommendations go no lower than 5W-30 and in many cases are higher. Both my engines are on a steady diet of 5W-30 and are perfectly happy with it. So what if I lose a few MPG. It beats a car payment.  ::)

Although I can see the logic in that I find it surprising simply because, traditionally, fuel economy in European countries has been more of an issue than in the US. When I last compared governmental fuel economy objectives between the EU and US, which I will freely admit was a long time ago, the EU objectives were more stringent than the US objectives, so much so that the US objectives looked like a token effort in comparison.

I'm too lazy too. I honestly have no clue. Your guess is as good as mine.

Actually, I might have a clue.

Best selling vehicle in the US market? Full size gas guzzling pick-up truck. Followed closely by full size gas guzzling SUV's. In Europe much smaller vehicles are the general rule. So perhaps easier to meet EU fuel economy targets?
That's because they're able to exploit a loophole in the gas-guzzler tax originally introduced to ease pain on small family farmers, for whom pickup trucks (usually between 2 & 6 per farm) are a core farm implement.

That exploitation was the entire reason behind the marketing of luxury Suburban-type vehicles, and why first Cadillac, then everybody else moved their primary luxury lines to the same light-truck chassis. IIRC, the Hummer2 was based on Chevy Avalanche platform and the H3 was based on and replaced the Blazer.

To this day they still pay lobbyists to keep that loophole open, as (at least, according to their armies of MBAs, who treat "projected sales numbers" pulled out of somebody's arse as if it were real money) it is more profitable than the sales lost if the customer had to pay the gas-guzzler tax on a old-school tuna boat like Fleetwood & DeVille models...

mnem
:palm:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 09:07:31 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115058 on: March 07, 2022, 09:06:20 pm »
...service...

I heard of this.  :-DD

Also: 400MHz LPF. Now I need to decide if I want to invest the time to get the screen brighter...

$450 for an LCD upgrade /www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133915560249
Difficult decision if for resale. The cheap "nanoVNA" type unit have somwhaat spoilt the hobby market for VNAs, not that there ws much of a market in the first place. Professional users may tend to want newer units. The E is the one of the more saleable VNAs.

Beats the 950$ for a dumbass power supply for an EXG RF gen.

I might replace the backlight or put a LED strip but I'm not gonna pay 450$ for an upgrade. I actually hope it will be the reflector foil that came loose so I don't have to replace it.

Yeah, I'm cheap.

Oop's I didn't know the E had an LCD  :palm:
The  "display lamp" is a replacable part according to the manual so you may be in luck. The HP part number is 0290-0566 but keysight find  part does not recognise that number.

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115059 on: March 07, 2022, 09:14:31 pm »
The recent boom in pick-up truck sales in the UK, particuarly higher end  models, is due to a loophole in the company car tax rules. You pay little or no income tax on a company pick-up. This used to apply to small vans too but when the trim and performance of small vans started to match cars they stopped that and put a flat rate on them. For a lot of vans this was more than the car they were based on.
No doubt they will close the pick-up loophole eventually.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115060 on: March 07, 2022, 09:18:09 pm »
...service...

Also: 400MHz LPF. Now I need to decide if I want to invest the time to get the screen brighter...

Just use it in a darkened room! :D

McBryce.

Please don't tempt me to keep this one... Cause I will  :-[ :-\
Oh, that's a terrible, terrible shame about that dim CRT... completely unsalable. *shakes head and clucks sadly* You'll have to keep it, just to hold the capacitor monster at bay...   ;)

mnem
and when you get tired of stubbing your toe on it, I'll gladly come lift it off your foot for you... free of charge, of course...   >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115061 on: March 07, 2022, 09:28:01 pm »
...service...

Just use it in a darkened room! :D

McBryce.

Please don't tempt me to keep this one... Cause I will  :-[ :-\
I'm not sure whether you should keep this one or go for one with 4 ports. But one thing is for sure: as part of you interest in such things is commercial, having a VNA and a bit of routine in it's use is the fastest way to check out many RF components, including high quality cables, attenuators, filters, directional couplers etc etc.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 09:51:34 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115062 on: March 07, 2022, 09:33:25 pm »
News about the destroyed Antonov 225 which was in its hanger at Hostomel Airport, Ukraine when the airport was attacked by the Russians last week. The operating company have conformed confirmed that the aircraft was a total loss, but say that they are determined to rebuild the 225, so I'm guessing that will involve the second airframe that Robert mentioned in his earlier post. Only time will tell for certain if this is going to be possible.

Meanwhile, in other news, we have learnt tonight that SWMBO's mother has been taken to hospital with heart problems following a visit to her doctor, who sent her direct to hospital. Trouble is that at the moment we don't know if that was just for tests or if she has been admitted. We are also not able to go and see her because of Covid rules which are still in place in hospitals. We are now just waiting for further news.  :palm:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 10:27:54 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115063 on: March 07, 2022, 09:38:54 pm »
FYI
https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/home/motor-oil-and-fluids/engine-oils/oil-viscosity-explained.html
https://www.forconstructionpros.com/equipment/fleet-maintenance/article/21159044/petrocanada-lubricants-how-to-select-engine-oils-for-both-hot-and-cold-climates
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 09:42:33 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115064 on: March 07, 2022, 09:43:39 pm »
Worse case I guess I could trim the edge of the PCB where it sits in the card edge connector, so that it sinks a bit lower...

Very nice Vince.
Looks like an easy fix for aligning the nixies: Just take a small round file to the PCB and turn the mounting holes for the nixie sockets into slots.

Nooooooooo!!!

If one of your children's ears is lower than the other, do you trim some off the lobe to make them symmetrical? Love them as they are!

Yes? Of course, as long as there is growth, you could also apply a corrective clamp..

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115065 on: March 07, 2022, 09:46:05 pm »
I bought a thing. Rather cheaply, given that it is tested and only has a slight display impairment.
So I am owner of a functional 500MHz programmable Noise Generator now. Anyone in need of getting his signals noisified?

Nice, I have been looking for one of those for a while now. Never really seen one affordable. Great find  :-+
We could talk.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115066 on: March 07, 2022, 09:47:53 pm »
Worse case I guess I could trim the edge of the PCB where it sits in the card edge connector, so that it sinks a bit lower...

Very nice Vince.
Looks like an easy fix for aligning the nixies: Just take a small round file to the PCB and turn the mounting holes for the nixie sockets into slots.

Nooooooooo!!!

If one of your children's ears is lower than the other, do you trim some off the lobe to make them symmetrical? Love them as they are!

Yes? Of course, as long as there is growth, you could also apply a corrective clamp..
We need thank the good lord for providing such convenient behavioral modification appendages.  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115067 on: March 07, 2022, 10:20:16 pm »

mnem
*impairing productivity since nineteen-mumblety-mumble*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115068 on: March 07, 2022, 10:25:17 pm »
News about the destroyed Antonov 225 which was in its hanger at Hostomel Airport, Ukraine when the airport was attacked by the Russians last week. The operating company have conformed that the aircraft was a total loss, but say that they are determined to rebuild the 225, so I'm guessing that will involve the second airframe that Robert mentioned in his earlier post. Only time will tell for certain if this is going to be possible.

Meanwhile, in other news, we have learnt tonight that SWMBO's mother has been taken to hospital with heart problems following a visit to her doctor, who sent her direct to hospital. Trouble is that at the moment we don't know if that was just for tests or if she has been admitted. We are also not able to go and see her because of Covid rules which are still in place in hospitals. We are now just waiting for further news.  :palm:
Oh dear; let's hope it's mostly routine, like testing to adjust a scrip for lisinopril or summat...

mnem
I hate hospitals... they're full of sick people...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115069 on: March 07, 2022, 10:30:07 pm »
@Saskia (and others)

While looking for something else I tripped across something from Electrolube specifically for removing conformal coatings: https://electrolube.com/product/ccrg-conformal-coating-remover-gel/ . It's specifically formulated to work with their solvent resistant conformal coatings, but there's a good chance that its good for other manufacturers conformal coatings too. I hadn't come across it before, but then I rarely go near conformal coatings so I guess that I probably shouldn't find that surprising.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Saskia

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115070 on: March 07, 2022, 10:33:54 pm »

mnem
Hmmm, never trusted that breed but have successfully modified their behavior with small high velocity offerings. 
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #115071 on: March 07, 2022, 10:44:50 pm »

Yep, much the same over here as well, its a by product of the Russia / Ukraine war, Gas (not petrol this time) also is shooting up in price because of the dammed war.

The other big ticket item I need to purchase is a new window A/C unit. If you recall my old one crapped out this past September. I need one at 10K BTU to keep the entire flat comfortable. I've been watching the prices and so far they are reasonable at about $330USD - $360USD. I'm going to pull the trigger early next month right after my SSI check shows up. This cost is going to put a severe crimp in the TE budget. I refuse to dip into the savings or investments so TE will be sacrificed for a while.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #115072 on: March 08, 2022, 12:37:10 am »

The other big ticket item I need to purchase is a new window A/C unit. If you recall my old one crapped out this past September. I need one at 10K BTU to keep the entire flat comfortable. I've been watching the prices and so far they are reasonable at about $330USD - $360USD. I'm going to pull the trigger early next month right after my SSI check shows up. This cost is going to put a severe crimp in the TE budget. I refuse to dip into the savings or investments so TE will be sacrificed for a while.

If the market logic is as it is here, AC units are at their most expensive one week into the first heat wave. So sooner than later might be a good move.

I have a long-in-tooth pondering / potential project of using the brine from my geothermal hole as coolant for a free-flow cooling system. Upper floor of house gets very hot in summer, and if I can shove that heat into the hole, or push it in the pool (which is heated by the geothermal too), I oughta gain a bit. I like the idea of only powering a circulation pump and some slow fans and getting cool air. I won't plumb that myself, though, so I need to convince a contractor that they should do it. Without them going all "you'll have to swap all those parts out to get that to work"; all I want is a heat exchanger on the brine loop so I can run the other side to my machine room and to the upper floor.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115073 on: March 08, 2022, 12:42:02 am »

mnem
Hmmm, never trusted that breed but have successfully modified their behavior with small high velocity offerings.
Two of my best dogs were dobies, including my first dog as a toddler; grandmomma called us littermates.  ;) If not inbred to death and trained to be psycho assholes, they are absolutely brilliant animals; also fiercely loyal and protective.

mnem
but not cute & fluffy.  :P
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 12:44:07 am by mnementh »

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #115074 on: March 08, 2022, 12:49:20 am »
Space, the final frontier.
<SNIP>

Build! I'm getting quotes on a 2-story garage/workshop/storage/home-office building, ~25' x ~45'. Dirty and heavy things on the ground floor. Clean and light-ish things upstairs. TE will be a first-class citizen.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 01:19:01 am by duckduck »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf