Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16703249 times)

patrickvdb, wkb, Wolfgang, Kosmic and 103 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #113875 on: February 16, 2022, 04:25:13 pm »
If those lazy cretins in the IT department

IT department is always so professional. I miss bd139 here. He had always "colorful" comments on IT people.
Comments on IT people do not need colours beside green and blue. If you beat them up enough, that's all you will see. >:D

I'll swear that the forum just swallowed a message. What I said was:

If the IT person is me or BD the only colour you will see is blue sky as you are defenestrated.

And we'll have a chit that says we're allowed to do it!  >:D
IT dwagons use the window a little differently...    >:D

mnem

Make wing to Karlsruhe or send a hungry relative. I'll gladly mark the right windows for you. No wait - I better mark the other ones. You can do HR, PM, AV, and most of the C-level and SW-Dev once IT is emptied.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113876 on: February 16, 2022, 04:29:31 pm »
Oh, and QA, Sales and Technical Writing. Please! I'll throw in a pack of Maalox and a bucket of Magenbitter!

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113877 on: February 16, 2022, 05:00:12 pm »
You left out accounting! Just make sure you take the wages clerk out for a beer when you see the blip on RADAR.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113878 on: February 16, 2022, 05:15:38 pm »
Work over, I've had a play with the Yokogwa TA520 Time Interval Analyser.
Well it certainly works. Hooked it up to a GPStar GPSDO on Ch.A and my cased up HP 10811D OCXO on Ch.B. In Time Interval mode you can clearly see the 1G turnover. With the OXCO box flat fine trim for no movement, Place on left side and indication moves left. Flat again it stops. On right size indicaton moves right.
Now I just have to learn how to use it properly and make sense of the results. And find somewhere to put it  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113879 on: February 16, 2022, 05:33:15 pm »
Well it certainly works. Hooked it up to a GPStar GPSDO on Ch.A and my cased up HP 10811D OCXO on Ch.B. In Time Interval mode you can clearly see the 1G turnover. With the OXCO box flat fine trim for no movement, Place on left side and indication moves left. Flat again it stops. On right size indicaton moves right.
Now I just have to learn how to use it properly and make sense of the results. And find somewhere to put it  :palm:
Could that instrument analyse 1pps signals properly?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #113880 on: February 16, 2022, 06:04:44 pm »
Mnem, because of my diabetes, my coffee has Truvia and unsweetened almond milk in it.  I have grown to quite like it.   I put the leftover coffee into a large glass, adulterate it and let it chill in the fridge overnight.  I will do what I need to get off my meds in the next 6 months, already had my Metformin reduced by half in the past 3 months and my A1c is 5.1.
As of a couple months before we left Canada, I'm still not diabetic; I'd done a week of morning/bedtime glucose and well normal. Of course I know that even if I'm not diabetic yet, at my weight and age I am on the waiting list; hence jumping back on the hard keto as it is the only diet I've ever been able to stay on long enough to actually lose an appreciable amount of weight.

At this point, losing the weight has to be priority one... I can deal with the other problems once I'm not staring down a very short and miserable existence of dialysis and congestive heart failure incursions.

I've tried almond milk and quite frankly, I'd rather give up coffee. I believe I'm allergic; it gives me cramps. I've been considering Stevia, but have been hesitant since a similarly bad experience with Agave. *blerk* That stuff is for people who don't like sweets in the first place.  :-DD

mnem
 :scared:
Okay... so, last grocery shopping we did, I got a bag of the store-brand Stevia sweetener. Tried it last night in my iced tea, and again this morning in my coffee.

The verdict so far: It tastes like ass and saccharine2.  :-DD

Adding one tablespoon at a time, it did not make my coffee taste sweet, until at about 6 tablespoons it started to get worse as the saccharine-like aftertaste overwhelmed everything.

Also, it it just plain a PITA to use; it doesn't dissolve well in cold or hot liquid, and if you accidentally inhale even a tiny bit while fighting the staticky bag, it burns in the nostrils something fierce.

At this point, I'm at the "I'd rather give up coffee." stage with it. Especially annoyed at the wasted pitcher of tea. ;)

That said... I did a little research, and it appears that Stevia is not all the same. The stuff we bought is mixed with maltodextrin as a bulking agent, just like my Splenda product is. Truvia uses the sugar alcohol erythritol as a bulking agent instead. So I've got a bag of that coming via Amazon tomorrow for a side by side taste test.

While I'm not entirely sure that Truvia is entirely safe or even more safe than Splenda... it is at least entirely composed of materials known to occur in nature.  :o

Yes, I know that is also true of Arsenic, Cyanide, and Botulinum toxin as well as a host of other deadly things. But hopefully if I can stand it (Erythritol is known to cause bloating, gas and cramps, and sensitivity to it varies greatly from individual to individual), it will be likelier safe than all the Aspartame I consume.  :-//

mnem
One step at a time...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113881 on: February 16, 2022, 06:06:56 pm »
Was somebody missing some HP 437B stuff, govplanet has few in Texas.
It's constantly creating localized links so use the search.

From PP I could use #13.
Assuming it's a normal DOS based thing.

I missed the additional comment about PP. Assuming you mean the 1662AS, no it's not a DOS box. It runs custom firmware from FLASH ROM. The floppy disk drive is DS/DD (720k) and will format/write/read in LIF or DOS. Note that the more common HD (1.44M) disks don't work. I have a 1663A that came with grabbers and cost nothing.

I have some wrapped boxes of noname still possibly MF2DDs but custom OS is a bit of a roadblock.
With old DOS and underlaying computer one can do almost anything but custom OS is custom OS.
From PP pictures my guessed solution was h-sync and "press F1 to continue" stylish something.

Do you mean that the drive can't write on HD material?
You can make DD from HD by blocking that other corner hole.
Though drives had many, then unknown, switches and jumpers, maybe more info is now available.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113882 on: February 16, 2022, 06:10:31 pm »
Could that instrument analyse 1pps signals properly?

Yes.
See posts by capt bullshot
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3712639/#msg3712639

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113883 on: February 16, 2022, 06:19:47 pm »
Was somebody missing some HP 437B stuff, govplanet has few in Texas.
It's constantly creating localized links so use the search.

From PP I could use #13.
Assuming it's a normal DOS based thing.

I missed the additional comment about PP. Assuming you mean the 1662AS, no it's not a DOS box. It runs custom firmware from FLASH ROM. The floppy disk drive is DS/DD (720k) and will format/write/read in LIF or DOS. Note that the more common HD (1.44M) disks don't work. I have a 1663A that came with grabbers and cost nothing.

I have some wrapped boxes of noname still possibly MF2DDs but custom OS is a bit of a roadblock.
With old DOS and underlaying computer one can do almost anything but custom OS is custom OS.
From PP pictures my guessed solution was h-sync and "press F1 to continue" stylish something.

Do you mean that the drive can't write on HD material?
You can make DD from HD by blocking that other corner hole.
Though drives had many, then unknown, switches and jumpers, maybe more info is now available.

You can control it by GPIB of course.
The drive (in mine at least) is a "proper" DS/DD. There are two issues:
The magnetic properies are different and a DD drive may not magetise the disk enough. This may not be immediately apparent.
The head and track widths are different which can cause all sorts of weird problems depending on sequences of formatting / reading / writing over / reading.
Summary:
HD disks may work but highly likey to be unreliable

The following users thanked this post: dl6lr

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113884 on: February 16, 2022, 06:24:59 pm »
Hungry:

TEA content? That purple box is my 'soldering box" with Metcal, bits, solder, etc. in it.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, mnementh, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #113885 on: February 16, 2022, 06:58:05 pm »

I'm so considerably tempted. Perhaps work should buy it. There's 1PPS and 10MHz i/o on nearly every network switch we buy.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113886 on: February 16, 2022, 07:07:08 pm »

I'm so considerably tempted. Perhaps work should buy it. There's 1PPS and 10MHz i/o on nearly every network switch we buy.
I was thinking along the exactly same lines!
 :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113887 on: February 16, 2022, 08:12:49 pm »
It was my understanding that these were primarily used in disk storage R&D; in fact, reading the TA320 & TA520 product pages indicates the latter has some decode software in it for working with optical drives?

My interest is passing at best... I had dreams of tinkering with my OXCOs and maybe seeing if it can characterize better than an oscilloscope some of the timing issues we have with commutation, and some other issues we have with the serial/bitbang serial comms on our ESCs if I ever get back into that dev work.

I'm no timenut, just as I'm no voltnut. One of you maniacs on the other side of the pond should take it. :-+

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 08:23:49 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #113888 on: February 16, 2022, 08:15:39 pm »
Stompology!

JLC has delivered. This is a chorus build. Just spent 5 minutes picking out the hardware that I've amassed for the project. Friday evening we'll start by trying to fit everything in the box non-interference style.  Iterate, drill plan, re-check, drill. Then start the PCB and wiring loom assemblies.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113889 on: February 16, 2022, 08:21:18 pm »
Stompology!   
BLASPHEMER!!!

I don't see any perfboard and tinned wire in there!!!  :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 08:22:55 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #113890 on: February 16, 2022, 08:27:39 pm »
what a day.
started with a Hubby-tour to the emergency room due to blood pressure issues. turned out to be a worn out hip.
Managed to get a few work related tid bits done and do initial project planning for the upcoming update of my translation system.
Stumbled across a Sega Outrun on ebay.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/165326322180

Won said auction.
This is a 180cmx100cmx65cm cabinet. I doubt that it will fit into the V70, also I kind of dislike the idea to have 180 kg breathing down my neck.

Which means: trailer.
*sigh*
How do I tell Hubby ...

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113891 on: February 16, 2022, 08:30:14 pm »

I was thinking along the exactly same lines!
 :-DD

If either of you want the one I bought, drop me a PM. I'd be OK passing it on at cost plus shipping. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it justice.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113892 on: February 16, 2022, 08:47:29 pm »
...If the IT person is me or BD the only colour you will see is blue sky as you are defenestrated. And we'll have a chit that says we're allowed to do it!  >:D
IT dwagons use the window a little differently...    >:D

mnem
Make wing to Karlsruhe or send a hungry relative. I'll gladly mark the right windows for you. No wait - I better mark the other ones. You can do HR, PM, AV, and most of the C-level and SW-Dev once IT is emptied.  Oh, and QA, Sales and Technical Writing. Please! I'll throw in a pack of Maalox and a bucket of Magenbitter!
Just got a text back from cousin Imogene... she's happy to oblige, as long as it's not Cointreau and as long as there's no Smurfs. She says the last one tasted... off.  :-DD

mnem
"Tastes like frustration and 10.00002MHz."

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113893 on: February 16, 2022, 08:54:47 pm »
Stompology!

JLC has delivered. This is a chorus build. Just spent 5 minutes picking out the hardware that I've amassed for the project. Friday evening we'll start by trying to fit everything in the box non-interference style.  Iterate, drill plan, re-check, drill. Then start the PCB and wiring loom assemblies.

Well, you could model the whole lot in 3D CAD, you can probably find 3D models for most of the components. Then around about Sunday you could step out to the rear of your house and blow your brains out, out of frustration. Friday if you use FreeCAD. Or you could do as planned, use trial and error, and keep your life.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #113894 on: February 16, 2022, 09:07:45 pm »

I don't see any perfboard and tinned wire in there!!!  :-DD

That's quite intentional. However, there MIGHT be some tinned wire later on. I don't remember if the thin screened cable I've got is pre-tinned or not. The unshielded runs will be made with  "Schaltlitze, extra feindrahtig, 0,22mm2" that I've got in a bunch of colours.  And I don't yet know if there's going to be any shielded wire. People who build this circuit have reported that the LFO, which is triangle wave output, will radiate a ticking noise when it peaks, but there's a mod for that; simply LP filter the square wave in the first step of the LFO and that'll take the edge off the wave so it does not tick while still has most of the wave shape that influences the clock.

All of this, almost, is Kicad-by-numbers; I've copied a circuit, but added a few small "hope this works" quirks like: the LFO softener;  there's a range switch and a couple extra caps for the clock oscillator to give a wider span of base delay times, there are run-of-the-mill 0,1µF caps on IC power legs (which most of the original circuits lack), and I've added a mute for the direct sound so there will be only effect output; creating a vibrato instead of a chorus.

The IC's are all in sockets, so I can do silly things like test different opamps. The original was supposed to use TL022 for the LFO and there's considerable debate on which opamp is best for the buffer stages. I've got RCA 4558s which are pulls from a Tore Seem modular mixer that was scrapped. Literal dumpster find; I grabbed the card for the Lundahl transformers (4 of them, usually cost about €100 a piece), but the RCA4558s came along as bonus. Traditionalists want JRC 4558s. (The likely truth is that Boss used the cheapest domestic opamp they could get away with, the JRC 4558, but this is not something that will sway the cargo cult in stompland.) I think that TL072 will do fine. I'm only powering externally, so battery life is a non-issue (TL022 is low-power). I'm a bit tempted to try out NE5532 too, even if I don't believe it too much. The FET input of the TL072 oughta present the lightest load to the guitar. OTOH, the 5532 does stellar work when given a low-impedance source, a dual-rail supply and 300m of pair cable to drive.

As noted above, this is not perfboard. Large ground planes back and front, wide tracks for power supply, audio I/O oriented away from clock circuit, clock driver lines to BBD are short and laid out as a balanced bus pair.

I have no idea if this is going to work, but it'll be fun (mostly) trying to get there.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #113895 on: February 16, 2022, 09:12:54 pm »
Stompology!

Well, you could model the whole lot in 3D CAD, you can probably find 3D models for most of the components. Then around about Sunday you could step out to the rear of your house and blow your brains out, out of frustration. Friday if you use FreeCAD. Or you could do as planned, use trial and error, and keep your life.  :)

I'm thinking about making a cardboard mockup of the 1590BB box, and trial-fit in it. If I manage to do that, the chances that it'll work is much higher.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113896 on: February 16, 2022, 09:16:15 pm »
what a day.
started with a Hubby-tour to the emergency room due to blood pressure issues. turned out to be a worn out hip.
Managed to get a few work related tid bits done and do initial project planning for the upcoming update of my translation system.
Stumbled across a Sega Outrun on ebay.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/165326322180

Won said auction.
This is a 180cmx100cmx65cm cabinet. I doubt that it will fit into the V70, also I kind of dislike the idea to have 180 kg breathing down my neck.

*sigh*
How do I tell Hubby ...
Oh wow... lookit the condition of that cabinet art. Only major restoration on the outside looks like a good cleaning, some edging, then the steering wheel and pedals. And for a change, a decent pic of the mainboard... which also is at least not visibly eaten up or moldy.  :-+

I would totally put that in back of the Rav4. Not even a second thought. That's a standard 24 inch width cabinet, right? I've never seen a fullsize wagon didn't have at least a 30 inch vertical. Cargo area depth vs cabinet height might prevent closing the tailgate tho...

But to get that thing home...? I'd def live with the tailgate bungeed and wear my winter coat. :-DD

mnem

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113897 on: February 16, 2022, 09:22:04 pm »
The magnetic properies are different and a DD drive may not magetise the disk enough. This may not be immediately apparent.
The head and track widths are different which can cause all sorts of weird problems depending on sequences of formatting / reading / writing over / reading.
Summary:
HD disks may work but highly likey to be unreliable

That is something apparently noone of my colleagues ever seemed to understand. They often used HD disks instead of DD disks (5,25") and some days later claimed the disks being unreliable  :palm:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113898 on: February 16, 2022, 09:22:51 pm »
I'm thinking about making a cardboard mockup of the 1590BB box, and trial-fit in it. If I manage to do that, the chances that it'll work is much higher.

Good move.

Tip: if you're uncertain about how it's all going to fit once the lid is on replace the lid with a 2-3mm bit of perspex while you're at the mock-up stage and you can see if a gap's a bit too small or you're violating safety. I've done it when I need to be absolutely sure that mains powered equipment meets safety clearances.

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #113899 on: February 16, 2022, 09:40:36 pm »

*sigh*

180cm will fit if you remove the rear seats completely. There are red snaplocks in the hinges that can be pulled (visible as you fold the seats forward), and then seats can be removed after which the back rest folds down . I'm not 100% certain 100cm will fit between the wheel wells, but I think it does. 65cm height is OK.

There are 1 lacing point on each side just behind the rear back rest, another pair low down just inside the backseat doors, and a final pair in the rear, adjacent to the hatch. A strap over the cabinet between those two at the back doors, and one strap going from the one just behind the back rest around in front of the cabinet, and then along the other side to corresponding point on the other side will hold it enough. Alternatively, when the back rest folds down you can attach a strap to the points where the back rest normally clicks in and route it in front of the load. 180 kilos is just two grown people in rear, and the back rest points hold that; the seat belts are anchored to those points via the back rest.

Having said that, a trailer might be easier.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf