Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16701290 times)

Robert763, flash2b, SingleBitError, Vince and 128 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #113075 on: February 05, 2022, 02:23:05 pm »
Surprise eBay buy time!

Just bought this for 28 euros delivered. The seller was advertising it as DC Amplifier. The vernier looks like some scope Y amplifier and the sticker also seems to point to that, but then why doesn't it use a BNC jack in the input??

The only reason I bought it is for the 0.5mV/cm range. If it is actually a DC Amplifier it will be interesting to see how they handle that.

Anyone knows what this box actually is?
Input amplifier module from a paper recorder.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Robert763, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, Atomillo

Offline Atomillo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113076 on: February 05, 2022, 02:31:12 pm »
Surprise eBay buy time!

Just bought this for 28 euros delivered. The seller was advertising it as DC Amplifier. The vernier looks like some scope Y amplifier and the sticker also seems to point to that, but then why doesn't it use a BNC jack in the input??

The only reason I bought it is for the 0.5mV/cm range. If it is actually a DC Amplifier it will be interesting to see how they handle that.

I understand then that it is really DC to low frequency?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #113077 on: February 05, 2022, 02:43:34 pm »
Oh yes, my nibbler's gone walkabout...
Yeah ... my nibbler went walkabout too.  Haven't seen it in over 20 years.   >:(

(Haven't needed it for 25  ::) )
What is it with nibblers going AWOL, you need to feed them once in a while  >:D

mnem
Excuse me... I have to go clean up a steaming load of starship fuel... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113078 on: February 05, 2022, 02:53:55 pm »
Surprise eBay buy time!

I understand then that it is really DC to low frequency?
Probably yes. As long as you don't find an ID, it's guesswork and testing.

The following users thanked this post: Atomillo

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #113079 on: February 05, 2022, 03:59:59 pm »
Am currently refreshing the JLCpcb site hourly to watch progress on my two latest constructions.  Also have placed a Mouser order. So, it's waiting times here.

This time is filled up with shopping for Du Pont connector clone kits. My layout is using them frequently.

To make that time pass (and it feels like it's slower than usual!), I'm whipping up a Bœuf Bourgignon. Soon spud peeling time.

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113080 on: February 05, 2022, 04:21:26 pm »
Oh just woke up checking TEA and what do I see, another mega high res cooking picture.... I will forgive you if once you are done, you do it all over again, to make me some blanquette de veau instead.
If you send it with your private jet, it should still be warm by the time it arrives.  Send me message before landing, so I have time to cook the potatoes and rice to go with it.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 04:22:57 pm by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113081 on: February 05, 2022, 04:38:49 pm »
I'm currently eating one too many bacon, egg & cheese breakfast tacos, washed down with too much coffee that has too much heavy cream in it and so much sweetener the coffee itself may get cancer.

All cooked by someone who loves me far more than I deserve.  ;)

Yumm.

mnem
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 04:40:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113082 on: February 05, 2022, 04:55:25 pm »
I thought you were on a diet ??

Or has this changed 3 days ago when you dediced you were not a dragon anymore ?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #113083 on: February 05, 2022, 06:02:43 pm »
Oh just woke up checking TEA and what do I see, another mega high res cooking picture.... I will forgive you if once you are done, you do it all over again, to make me some blanquette de veau instead.
If you send it with your private jet, it should still be warm by the time it arrives.  Send me message before landing, so I have time to cook the potatoes and rice to go with it.

Thanks in advance.

I've never tried blanquette de veau, had to look it up. Sounds tasty. I'll make one, or a bœuf bourgignon, at my discretion, for you if I pass St. Nazaire.  There's a slight lacking in the private jet department.

In the mean time, I added what makes a BB a BB, the small ognions, the shrooms, and the pôrk, and then got rave reviews on my cooking.

Edit: Passing St. Nazaire is not an empty threat. Though I've read that Lorient has the better u-boat pens, so that might win out. Further, Saint-Nazaire is en route to Saumur, which also is on the bucket list.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 07:30:51 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #113084 on: February 05, 2022, 06:18:10 pm »
In the mean time, I added what makes a BB a BB, the small ognions, the shrooms, and the pôrk, and then got rave reviews on my cooking.

Man that looks good - I'd love that for a meal.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113085 on: February 05, 2022, 06:34:59 pm »

Thanks in advance.

I've never tried blanquette de veau, had to look it up. Sounds tasty. I'll make one, or a bœuf bourgignon, at my discretion, for you if I pass St. Nazaire.  There's a slight lacking in the private jet department.

Looks nice,  I think I will make you my cooking slave if you come around here. I will attach you to a pole in the kitchen with a heavy duty chain so you can't escape, and you will cook for me for the rest of your life. You will also of course be in charge of sorting out all my computer /IT stuff, network etc, because I couldn't do it to save my life.

I don't like BB too much, but I love blanquette de veau. By the loos of it, I guess you would cook it in just the same way anyway.. should take you no effort to adapt to it.

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113086 on: February 05, 2022, 06:49:34 pm »

Thanks in advance.

Looks nice,  I think I will make you my cooking slave if you come around here. I will attach you to a pole in the kitchen with a heavy duty chain so you can't escape, and you will cook for me for the rest of your life. You will also of course be in charge of sorting out all my computer /IT stuff, network etc, because I couldn't do it to save my life.

I don't like BB too much, but I love blanquette de veau. By the loos of it, I guess you would cook it in just the same way anyway.. should take you no effort to adapt to it.
Have you been successfull inviting someone over with that method yet, Vince?  :-DD
Don't think that's the way it works...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113087 on: February 05, 2022, 07:02:12 pm »
Boring Mundane Everyday Print #288: Keyboard Tilt Feet   

Latest 3DP abuse was for this old HP keyboard stuck in the bottom of a bin forever since one of the rear tilt legs broke. Well, right now it's the only standard keyboard I have to throw on my laptop in the living room; so its time has finally come.

Took me a good 30 minutes to draw this one up; I had to figure out how to do those compound fillets. :-+

mnem
As always; for those who care, full details and 3DP nerd-stats are over in the 3DP Thread.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113088 on: February 05, 2022, 07:13:58 pm »
I'm currently eating one too many bacon, egg & cheese breakfast tacos, washed down with too much coffee that has too much heavy cream in it and so much sweetener the coffee itself may get cancer.

All cooked by someone who loves me far more than I deserve.  ;)

Yumm.

mnem
I thought you were on a diet ?? Or has this changed 3 days ago when you decided you were not a dragon anymore ?
Everything in my breakfast tacos is on my Hard Keto diet. The tortillas are lo-carb/hi-fiber, 4 grams net each. 1 gram for the heavy cream, 2 grams for the eggs. I still have 4-9 grams left for the rest of the day. 780 calories total, of 1500 daily.

Sometimes I splurge on breakfast, sometimes I save my carbs/cals for dinner.  :-// Today I'll have to make it up with stir-fry veggies and chicken to keep the cal count down. I'll make a pot of rice to go along with for the wife & kids.

mnem

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113089 on: February 05, 2022, 07:41:36 pm »
A warning to anyone out there with an Creality Ender 3 3D Printer: Don't upgrade the hardware from the old 8 Bit board to the newer 32Bit 4.2.x boards. The hardware is fine and quieter (as the loudly claim), but the firmware is just broken. Missing features, non-working commands (and not trivial stuff either, basics such as filament loading and mid-print colour change aren't implemented or not working). I'll be spending the evening downgrading my Ender 3 Pro hardware.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #113090 on: February 05, 2022, 07:48:56 pm »
Check of the HV in the 2nd Type 547. Determination is it's HV transformer is toast too.

Just have to monitor one point to confirm. The pin 8 (Grid) of V800.

Started out at +76V, soon climbed to +90V which is where it should more or less stabilize.

It climbed to +95V/+96V and stayed there for quite a while and I was beginning to think this one was OK.

Wishful thinking. Suddenly started climbing noticeably. I stopped it at +110V. NFG.

So I removed this HV assembly. It is going to make a trip to Germany to get repaired.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113091 on: February 05, 2022, 08:07:40 pm »

Thanks in advance.

Have you been successfull inviting someone over with that method yet, Vince?  :-DD
Don't think that's the way it works...

Nah, when I want people to come, all I have to do is tell them I am OK to look at their old electronic junk they wanted me to fix (for free of course ! ::) )

Works every single time ! People are so predictable !  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113092 on: February 05, 2022, 08:07:55 pm »
A warning to anyone out there with an Creality Ender 3 3D Printer: Don't upgrade the hardware from the old 8 Bit board to the newer 32Bit 4.2.x boards. The hardware is fine and quieter (as the loudly claim), but the firmware is just broken. Missing features, non-working commands (and not trivial stuff either, basics such as filament loading and mid-print colour change aren't implemented or not working). I'll be spending the evening downgrading my Ender 3 Pro hardware.

McBryce.
Is there no open source firmware. 32bit marlin?
There is a promising config for it I'd say: "Configurations-release-2.0.9.3.zip\Configurations-release-2.0.9.3\config\examples\Creality\Ender-3\CrealityV422"
There is also one for V427. Try that before changing hardware says me!
Edit#2: And it's not as hard as they make it look. I've done similar Marlin installs before, it's really not too bad!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 09:01:19 pm by ch_scr »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #113093 on: February 05, 2022, 08:10:27 pm »
Discord is rolling, in a not quite the same way as a car being set on fire and rolled down a hill by juvenile delinquents.

Oh, Med, what Tek 5-series plug-in were you after? There's a bunch on ebay in Germany today.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #113094 on: February 05, 2022, 08:29:39 pm »
Everything in my breakfast tacos is on my Hard Keto diet. The tortillas are lo-carb/hi-fiber, 4 grams net each. 1 gram for the heavy cream, 2 grams for the eggs. I still have 4-9 grams left for the rest of the day. 780 calories total, of 1500 daily.

Have you considered not using the heavy cream?

I prefer sour cream, creme fraiche, or plain yogurt, all of which have more taste so you can use less.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113095 on: February 05, 2022, 09:21:27 pm »
Discord is rolling, in a not quite the same way as a car being set on fire and rolled down a hill by juvenile delinquents.
HEY!!! I resemble that remark...!    :-DD

In Other News...

now that I have my bench started, time to get some tuneage...

mnem
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 09:23:14 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113096 on: February 05, 2022, 09:44:33 pm »
Another hp 5216A arrived earlier this week, advertised as defective, on inspection I found the 150mA mains fuse blown. A replacement with a slightly lower value fuse resulted in one of the displays lighting very briefly, yep blew again.

Today I pulled the power supply board & started checking for shorted components, quickly found one of the pair of zeners for the +/-6V supplies was shorted.

Manual states it's a 6.04V at 2%, no other info apart from the custom part no. The other zener diode measured in at 6.01V at 5mA.

Then I went through the drawer of 6.2V 1.3W zeners, to find a suitable pair to replace them both, I found a pair that matched at just under 6V, 10mA each. After fitting them I checked this part of the supply to verify it was working before refitting it.

Back in it went, along with another fuse, the lamp limiter was used and the 100W lamp left in it glowed brightly, followed by the fuse blowing again. Bugger still something wrong with it, I removed the power supply board again and changed the lamp for a 15W one & fitted another fuse, again the lamp was bright.

At this point I had a look at the power rating in manual, it gives a maximum of 20W.
No 25W lamps were in the box for the lamp limiter, so I fitted a 40W, this also lit brightly. At this point it's looking like I have another counter with a buggered transformer. I will put the 15W lamp back tomorrow & check the outputs from the secondary windings tomorrow, run out of time tonight.  :--

David
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 09:49:54 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, med6753, 1Ghz, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113097 on: February 05, 2022, 09:57:38 pm »

I prefer sour cream, creme fraiche, or plain yogurt, all of which have more taste so you can use less.

Context dear boy, you're advocating using those in coffee. That registers somewhere between "Yuck!" and "Die, coffee adulterating philistine!". Mind you, so does adding cream to coffee in my book, but that's a matter of taste, whereas putting yogurt in it would fit more into the category of "terminal lack of taste".

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113098 on: February 05, 2022, 11:18:48 pm »
I knew you got me, C. I'll happily be a coffee adulterer, as long as its heavy cream & sweetener. ;)

The heavy cream is for the low-carb aspect. Milk has too much sugar in it; pure cream has zero carbs and I can do a tablespoon or two and get the flavor I like. Over here it is nigh-impossible to get really pure cream that isn't contaminated with carrageenan, so I have to allow half a gram or so per serving to stay on the right side of the Keto.

mnem
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 11:45:27 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113099 on: February 05, 2022, 11:32:50 pm »

McBryce.
Hmmmm... My CR6-SE has that board in it; seems to do everything it's supposed to, tho I don't have a multi-color head on it.

I'm not too comfortable with PlatformIO, so haven't been poking around in its firmware yet, tho I really would like to repurpose the I/O channel they used for a fucking blue LED on the work to run the heat-brake fan.  :palm:

mnem
 :-/O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf