Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16687724 times)

shakalnokturn, SingleBitError, BrianInTexas and 106 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #112375 on: January 26, 2022, 11:32:01 pm »
Cerebus是一个没有原则的、不好的混蛋,我不会把你的妹妹和一瓶米酒交给他

:-DD  :-DD  :-DD

/me, sending Cerebus some nice spiritual drinks so that he can keep his spirit up unbended (more or less).

;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #112376 on: January 26, 2022, 11:33:29 pm »
So whose surname is "origin of (the) paddy fields" and how do you pronounce it?

Makes me think of cars and motorbikes  :)

Now how about my name, can anyone tell me what my English name is from this Japanese translation (I'm a little proud of), and what the Japanese characters mean? (No machine translation! :P )

蛇烈怒
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:40:08 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #112377 on: January 26, 2022, 11:38:20 pm »

mnem
whaaaaaat...? too obvious...?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:57:51 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112378 on: January 26, 2022, 11:43:05 pm »
I never knew there was such snobbery about how this particular key is called !  :-DD

It's a bit pathetic really...  just goes to show people are genetically programmed to form tribes on arbitrary grounds just so they can fell part of something and go to fight the other tribes.
Human brain is just hopeless, the race is never gonna get anywhere with this mindset  :-//
Well it managed to go the moon at least, I give you that... but still. Maybe we would already be colonizing another planetary system were we able to join forces to achieve goals faster rather than wasting time money and energy fighting for futile and sterile reasons...

Wow I am all philosophical all of a sudden. Maybe that's because it's quiet here at 00H15... or maybe that's because I am hungry, who knows.... will go cook something quick to find out !!! ...  8)

Good grief, Vince! Calm down!   :palm:

You are obviously not familiar with all the teasings between the RPN-fans and the " = " club.  ::)

This kind of teasing has a long ongoing history here in the TEA thread and is part of the folklore of this forum.

So, ease your anger, drink a cup of milk and enjoy the scene.  :D  :popcorn:

I already knew about the RPN huys who feel superior, when I watched a video about iton " Computerphile " YT channel...  ;D
... but I had not heard about "wars" about the return/=/EXE key...  ;D

RPN from what I understand was not meant to be superior, but merely used because of technical limitations back in the day. RPN used less hardware, cheaper.
Then of course that had consequences on the user interface, the part that the guy punching number interacts with... but it's a consequence... not a goal in itself.

Well that's my very basic understanding of it anyhow !  >:D

I don't care one way ot the other... as long as the freaking calculator gives me the correct answer, it's the most important as far as I am concerned ?!  :-//
the rest is personal preference / habits in user interface design...

I do admit that  RPN makes it quicker to interact with the calculator though, less key strokes to achieve a given equation.

So for people who us eit 8 hours a day all day long all life long yeah, I can understand that it's a major advantage  8)

EDIT : last week I decided to severely reduce my consumption of milk, from 3 liters a day to.. well zero ideally. Failing that, as little as possible.
So no cup of milk for me ! I have now switched to apple juice and orange juice instead...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:48:03 pm by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112379 on: January 26, 2022, 11:51:49 pm »
Cerebus是一个没有原则的、不好的混蛋,我不会把你的妹妹和一瓶米酒交给他

:-DD  :-DD  :-DD

/me, sending Cerebus some nice spiritual drinks so that he can keep his spirit up unbended (more or less).

;D

mnem
All in the spirit of good fun... ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112380 on: January 26, 2022, 11:54:23 pm »
I never knew there was such snobbery about how this particular key is called !  :-DD

It's a bit pathetic really...  just goes to show people are genetically programmed to form tribes on arbitrary grounds just so they can fell part of something and go to fight the other tribes.
Human brain is just hopeless, the race is never gonna get anywhere with this mindset  :-//
Well it managed to go the moon at least, I give you that... but still. Maybe we would already be colonizing another planetary system were we able to join forces to achieve goals faster rather than wasting time money and energy fighting for futile and sterile reasons...

Wow I am all philosophical all of a sudden. Maybe that's because it's quiet here at 00H15... or maybe that's because I am hungry, who knows.... will go cook something quick to find out !!! ...  8)

Good grief, Vince! Calm down!   :palm:

You are obviously not familiar with all the teasings between the RPN-fans and the " = " club.  ::)

This kind of teasing has a long ongoing history here in the TEA thread and is part of the folklore of this forum.

So, ease your anger, drink a cup of milk and enjoy the scene.  :D  :popcorn:
Quite right, its all a bit of fun really, hence you will often see the RPN fanboys include a gratuitous shot of their RPN device when they post some serious naked TE gear etc, just poke some fun into the proceedings to brighten things up a little from time to time  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112381 on: January 27, 2022, 12:00:48 am »
Hmm OK !

So I will get some cheap old random RPN calculetty device just so I can include it in shots, so as to blur the lines and fool people into thinking I am one of them !  >:D

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112382 on: January 27, 2022, 12:03:24 am »
I already knew about the RPN huys who feel superior, when I watched a video about iton " Computerphile " YT channel...  ;D
... but I had not heard about "wars" about the return/=/EXE key...  ;D

It is really a pity, that bd139 is conspicuous by its absence. ;-)
These are not wars, it's more like a kind of friendly slashing and shoving.  :popcorn:

RPN from what I understand was not meant to be superior, but merely used because of technical limitations back in the day. RPN used less hardware, cheaper.
Then of course that had consequences on the user interface, the part that the guy punching number interacts with... but it's a consequence... not a goal in itself.

Well that's my very basic understanding of it anyhow !  >:D

I agree with mnem what he has written about RPN. It is a different approach and from some technical aspects superior (stack processing for example).

EDIT : last week I decided to severely reduce my consumption of milk, from 3 liters a day to.. well zero ideally. Failing that, as little as possible.
So no cup of milk for me ! I have now switched to apple juice and orange juice instead...

Not a good idea imo.
If you are drinking that much apple and/or orange juice, you'll become a diabetic in no-time.
Seriously.

Just as a hint:
Diabetics who inject insulin usually have something sweet with them in case they become hypoglycaemic. Apple juice has the fastest effect, because the sugars in apple juice are absorbed the fastest by the body.

I have a few friends who are diabetics, both type I and type II.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112383 on: January 27, 2022, 12:04:39 am »
<lots of snipping>
Whoa there, take it easy on the orange juice, you can overdose on vitamin C and put on weight.

https://www.thelist.com/202206/when-you-drink-orange-juice-every-day-this-is-what-happens-to-your-body/
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112384 on: January 27, 2022, 12:05:27 am »

mnem
This distraction brought to you by the Society for the Prevention of Parsley Placement on People's Plates in Public Places.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112385 on: January 27, 2022, 12:09:48 am »
Hmm OK !   So I will get some cheap old random RPN calculetty device just so I can include it in shots, so as to blur the lines and fool people into thinking I am one of them !  >:D
Or just when you wanna stir shit up... sure.  :-DD

mnem
All things in moderation. Including this.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112386 on: January 27, 2022, 12:09:56 am »
Hmm OK !

So I will get some cheap old random RPN calculetty device just so I can include it in shots, so as to blur the lines and fool people into thinking I am one of them !  >:D

Not sure about the RPN part, though.

;D  ;D

But I liked the movie very much!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #112387 on: January 27, 2022, 12:13:37 am »

It is more than that. RPN is predictable and regular; arithmetic calculators may or may not be.

I have one Casio calculator where "1+2*3=" gives the correct answer, and another Casio calculator that gives the wrong answer. Too many people don't even realise it is the wrong answer!

Plus the early "arithmetic" calculators were usually half reverse-polish, e.g to calculate sin(a+b) you entered "a+b=sin".

Overall I like RPN because you can inspect what you are about to do before you do it (the x<->y key), and you have to gather all you need (the operands) before you do anything (the operator).
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112388 on: January 27, 2022, 12:16:21 am »
Hmm OK !

Save your money and just include a shot or two of your normal calculator, same meat, just a different gravy   :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112389 on: January 27, 2022, 12:18:58 am »

mnem
This distraction brought to you by the Society for the Prevention of Parsley Placement on People's Plates in Public Places.
That was my first calculator.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112390 on: January 27, 2022, 12:24:22 am »
My first pocket calculator, a TI-30

(Picture taken from Wikipedia)

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112391 on: January 27, 2022, 12:37:59 am »

Not a good idea imo.
If you are drinking that much apple and/or orange juice, you'll become a diabetic in no-time.
I have a few friends who are diabetics, both type I and type II.

Whoa there, take it easy on the orange juice, you can overdose on vitamin C and put on weight.

https://www.thelist.com/202206/when-you-drink-orange-juice-every-day-this-is-what-happens-to-your-body/

No worries friends !  I was not clear enough : I have NOT replaced 3 liters of milk with 3 liters of fruit juice !  :-DD
I have replaced 3 liters of milk with... as little fruit juice as I can. I don't keep track of how much I drink, but I try to drink little. Maybe 0.5 liter grand maximum, less possibly.

Apple juice is quite thick / sirop like, and very sugary, so just a quick seep is enough.. unlike milk which I drink like tap water... in 5 minutes the bottle is gone !  :scared:

I have noticed that now I have drastically reduced on milk, I feel much better already. I don't take 3 hours in the morning to be fully awake and productive. Feel more energetic, and more quickly.
Feels like milk was like trying to drive with the handbrake on....
I just wish I had known about that decades ago, my life would probably have turned differently.

So now, just a bit of milk for breakfast and that's it. No more for the rest of the day.. and taking it very easy on the juice as well to keep calories and diabetes away.

That will help me lose weight. 55kg or so to lose. giving up on milk alone will help a lot in achieving that goal... seeing as 3 liters of milk is over 50% of the energy I am supposed to ingest as a grown up adult.
No more cheese, too fat (and too expensive anyway). I have now started heavy consumption of fish and vegetables, and see food.

Been only a week or so but already starting to feel better and lighter....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112392 on: January 27, 2022, 12:50:07 am »
Yes well, milk is the perfect food... for baby cows. Not so much for grown-up humans, despite the rantings of the American Dairy Council.

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112393 on: January 27, 2022, 12:52:48 am »
So whose surname is "origin of (the) paddy fields" and how do you pronounce it?

Makes me think of cars and motorbikes  :)

You're cheating, you live there and ought to be able to read like a native. A seven year old native perhaps, but like a native all the same.

You probably also see 本田さん's name over the local tobacconists and suchlike.

Now how about my name, can anyone tell me what my English name is from this Japanese translation (I'm a little proud of), and what the Japanese characters mean? (No machine translation! :P )

蛇烈怒

Without machine translation I don't have a hope. There are a very few kanji ideograms I know, and which will jump out if a page of Japanese if I look at it, and I think I've already used 90% of them today. It's fascinating to me that I will notice 日本人 on a page full of other graphically similar characters that are completely and totally meaningless to me. I would say "It's all greek to me" but I did learn a tiny little of that at school, at least enough that the alphabet looks meaningful to me, so perhaps I should say that it's all Russian to me
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112394 on: January 27, 2022, 12:55:56 am »
Yes well, milk is the perfect food... for baby cows. Not so much for grown-up humans, despite the rantings of the American Dairy Council.

mnem
 :bullshit:

Here no adult likes milk, it's just for the kid's for the hot chocolate at breakfast and that's it.

I have never met in 44 years in this country, never, never met someone who likes to drink fresh milk straight from the fridge, never mind several liters a day like I have been doing all my life. (had a brief peak at 12 liters a day briefly as a kid, I remember).

My friends keep saying that I should put a cow in my garden to produce my own milk and save money ! :-DD

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 12:58:23 am by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112395 on: January 27, 2022, 12:59:12 am »

What the fuck did I just watch...?!?

mnem
 :wtf:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112396 on: January 27, 2022, 01:00:54 am »
My first pocket calculator, a TI-30

(Picture taken from Wikipedia)

Wow you must be much older than I thought ! Somehow I pictured you as a young lad !
Or maybe you were into retro/vintage calculators at school ?!  ;D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112397 on: January 27, 2022, 01:18:08 am »
<lots of snipping>

To consume an LD50 of vitamin C you would have to consume nearly 2000 litres of orange juice in one day. Might be a little difficult to do, that's about 20 brimming bath fulls. (Basis LD50 vitamin C 11.9g/kg, OJ with 43mg vitamin C/100g juice, standard 70kg man).

Vitamin C is probably one of the hardest things in the world to overdose on. The late great Linus Pauling, who almost singlehandedly kickstarted modern biochemistry with his discoveries, went a bit crazy in later life and gave himself daily megadoses of vitamin C, 3 grams a day - 75 times the UK RDA of 40mg, every day for at least the last 20 years of his life to no obvious ill effects. He died aged 93 of prostate cancer.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112398 on: January 27, 2022, 01:22:14 am »
No more cheese, too fat (and too expensive anyway). I have now started heavy consumption of fish and vegetables, and see food.

Ah, the "see food" diet as it "see food and eat it". [Fx: rimshot, Sid James' chuckle]

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112399 on: January 27, 2022, 01:22:49 am »
   My first pocket calculator, a TI-30 (Picture taken from Wikipedia)

Mine was a TI-1025. I loved the VFD; it seemed so otherworldly to a dumb kid growing up in the country. I'd sit in bed staring at the hair-thin glowing red filament across the middle of the screen, and listen to the nearly ultrasonic whine of the boost converter it used to run off a 9V battery. It came in a box with the Math on Keys book... taught me more about basic math than most of middle and high school. ::)

mnem
mom tried to prepare me for the new age...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 01:27:36 am by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf