Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16701241 times)

Robert763, flash2b, SingleBitError, Vince and 126 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #111250 on: January 15, 2022, 01:36:11 pm »
Just a heads up: I replaced the linefilter on the Solartron 7055. Boots up fine, but was about half a percent off in measurements. Got to work on the compensation for the reference (in attachment) but that doesn't react as I expected it to (linking both G & H puts it in a boot loop, most other links simply do nothing at all,...).

All in all, I went as far as (and a bit further) as "economic repair" allows. So, I'll  send it off for auction on eBay. Unless one of you lot wants to have a go? Either as a purchase or just as a free "project" to be returned if/when you figure it out.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested. If not: expect your eBay search filters to be triggered  8)

Did you check the links are correct for the voltage the reference is outputting? If they are, then it's not the reference that needs adjusting, but the front end. I'd be more inclined to suspect drift/damage there anyway...

Well, the odd thing was that both A and B links were made, which doesn't make sense. I'm not claiming I set all the links exactly as they should but, well, adjusting up or down should have an effect. It doesn't. Whatever the 'right' values are, I should be able to set both H and G together but it gets stuck in the "hello" loop.

You may well be right the problem lies elsewhere, but as I said: the "economic repair" ship has sailed and I need to board "HMS let's see how much can I recover in an  auction" or "SS let's hand it over the Asylum".

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #111251 on: January 15, 2022, 01:46:00 pm »
Question:
I have two PG506 Calibration Generator TM500 plugins, and early and a late type. I'm currently restoring the late type one.
Now, besides 'just because' is there any reason one would need two PG506 modules? Is there any equipment calibration/adjustment etc that needs two of these?

I plan to get both working, but if I only need one, I'll sell the other to fund the purchase of more shiny things... :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #111252 on: January 15, 2022, 02:34:15 pm »
My last sin   
Latest sin, perhaps... but last sin...? I find that highly suspect...  ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 02:47:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111254 on: January 15, 2022, 03:01:08 pm »
Question:
I have two PG506 Calibration Generator TM500 plugins, and early and a late type. I'm currently restoring the late type one.
Now, besides 'just because' is there any reason one would need two PG506 modules? Is there any equipment calibration/adjustment etc that needs two of these?

I plan to get both working, but if I only need one, I'll sell the other to fund the purchase of more shiny things... :D
   Signal source with calibrated and differential output at 50/600/1MΩ... yummeh.

The correct question here is... why would you stop at just two...?  ;)

mnem

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #111255 on: January 15, 2022, 03:08:15 pm »
The correct question here is... why would you stop at just two...?  ;)

Oh, don't say that... :D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111256 on: January 15, 2022, 03:53:57 pm »
reminds me of this one from IKEA:   
ALEX is MDF, IIRC.   MOPPE is plywood. I'm sort of interested in trying HELMER.
I've got some of my stuff in leftover wire baskets, which is pretty bad. A couple ALEX or HELMER would be useful.
What I really want is something like this, but that is completely insane in price. (A SEK is about 1/9 USD today.)

I have one of these in my Canada stuff, along with another similar one here; both acquired from the Thrift for ~$20. Well I will have... once we make that trip for the Canada stuff and if I ever find some reasonably priced end tables for the living room so I can take it back for the dwagon-cave. :-DD

Yes, the Ikea drawer unit is formica-clad MDF, which makes it not a great work surface. But as a scope-cart or cabling drawer, I'd say it is exactly the right mix of price, ready-to-use, and solid-enough construction, as long as you keep it in a low-humidity/climate-controlled environment. I'd say that if kept indoors with climate that is comfortable for humans, it should be good for a decade or two.

If the Alex is made as solidly as the Micke, then actually good value for money for normal folks, except that I'm a cheap-bastahd-dwagon. >:D

The Alex comes in several variants in white, grey and black, and there's a 9-drawer version that several of them would be just nipply for tool and component storage... same with the wide 5-drawer unit. While I would really have a hard time shelling out the money, two of either of the 5-drawer units with a undrilled 80" x 30-36" slab door laid across them would make an excellent daily use desk, tho you'd want to seal it with clear polyurethane first. I've done exactly this over a couple cheap filing cabinets or stacked concrete blocks in several "gotta get something usable up quick & cheap" scenarios. :-+

Heavy use would be right out, of course; not gonna attach a vise to it or even be able to stand on it safely. But for a PC desk or even a electronics assembly bench... or diag workspace on anything under a stone or three in weight... it would be fine, as long as you put something like a cut of Masonite down as a wear/work surface.

mnem
 :blah:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 04:08:11 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111257 on: January 15, 2022, 04:30:22 pm »
Dana 5100 DMM update:

I assembled the PROM programmer and smoke tested it.  So far, so good.  I'm waiting on two DG441CJ  analog switch ICs I ordered from Maxim.    They disconnect the PROM data lines from the left hand 'LS47s when the device is write-enabled.  Otherwise the 22V programming pulse would destroy the LS47.

Once the DG441s are here, I'll test reading with a blank Soviet PROM before risking one of my NOS DM8577s  or attempting to read what I can from the '188 in the meter.

The parts from Maxim should be here in a few days. I don't normally buy chips from the manufacturers.  I've had to resort to this several times lately.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 04:34:31 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111258 on: January 15, 2022, 04:58:46 pm »
I was high bidder on this Racal Dana 1998 Counter -->  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Electronics-Racal-Dana-Frequency-Counter-1998-/393856305682

£92  + £10 shipping from Warrington.  From the seller's description it powers on.  Other than that who knows.

It had options 04A and 07 when it left the factory.    The 07 battery pack is gone but it may still have the 04A OCXO. 

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea, med6753, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111259 on: January 15, 2022, 05:03:34 pm »
This seller has two Thurlby Thandar TF830 counters - BIN £65.00  or best offer.     Advertised as tested and fully working.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203792274601

I've bought enough counters for one day.    :palm:

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #111260 on: January 15, 2022, 05:13:10 pm »
I had to completely replace the foam in the case of test fixture boards I got for my 4145B. I was lucky the set contained the tiny leads for connecting up your DUT, but it's missing one of them. I've been looking for an extra to complete the set, so if you come across any, let me know!

Which wires do you need? I can get Staubli SLS205 stacking 2mm gold plated banana plugs, and also gold plated hook probes off the shelf in Akihabara so I'm making my own leads with teflon wire.
Maybe you can find these parts or equivalents locally?

https://www.sengoku.co.jp/mod/sgk_cart/detail.php?code=EEHD-5N3L

https://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/g/gP-11774/

Ah ha! I found the part I plan to use for the small pin to plug into the 'Socket Boards' that are used in the test fixture.

Staubli Multi-Contact part number 22.2070-21 22.1007

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #111261 on: January 15, 2022, 05:15:19 pm »
I had to completely replace the foam in the case of test fixture boards I got for my 4145B. I was lucky the set contained the tiny leads for connecting up your DUT, but it's missing one of them. I've been looking for an extra to complete the set, so if you come across any, let me know!

Which wires do you need? I can get Staubli SLS205 stacking 2mm gold plated banana plugs, and also gold plated hook probes off the shelf in Akihabara so I'm making my own leads with teflon wire.

Ah ha! I found the part I plan to use for the small pin to plug into the 'Socket Boards' that are used in the test fixture.

Definitely interested to see what you make.  :-+

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111262 on: January 15, 2022, 05:15:32 pm »
reminds me of this one from IKEA:   
ALEX is MDF, IIRC.   MOPPE is plywood. I'm sort of interested in trying HELMER.
I've got some of my stuff in leftover wire baskets, which is pretty bad. A couple ALEX or HELMER would be useful.
What I really want is something like this, but that is completely insane in price. (A SEK is about 1/9 USD today.)

I have one of these in my Canada stuff, along with another similar one here; both acquired from the Thrift for ~$20. Well I will have... once we make that trip for the Canada stuff and if I ever find some reasonably priced end tables for the living room so I can take it back for the dwagon-cave. :-DD

Yes, the Ikea drawer unit is formica-clad MDF, which makes it not a great work surface. But as a scope-cart or cabling drawer, I'd say it is exactly the right mix of price, ready-to-use, and solid-enough construction, as long as you keep it in a low-humidity/climate-controlled environment. I'd say that if kept indoors with climate that is comfortable for humans, it should be good for a decade or two.

If the Alex is made as solidly as the Micke, then actually good value for money for normal folks, except that I'm a cheap-bastahd-dwagon. >:D

The Alex comes in several variants in white, grey and black, and there's a 9-drawer version that several of them would be just nipply for tool and component storage... same with the wide 5-drawer unit. While I would really have a hard time shelling out the money, two of either of the 5-drawer units with a undrilled 80" x 30-36" slab door laid across them would make an excellent daily use desk, tho you'd want to seal it with clear polyurethane first. I've done exactly this over a couple cheap filing cabinets or stacked concrete blocks in several "gotta get something usable up quick & cheap" scenarios. :-+

Heavy use would be right out, of course; not gonna attach a vise to it or even be able to stand on it safely. But for a PC desk or even a electronics assembly bench... or diag workspace on anything under a stone or three in weight... it would be fine, as long as you put something like a cut of Masonite down as a wear/work surface.

mnem
 :blah:
I keep one of these  the end of the bench. It's shallow drawer are ideal for small tools handheld TE etc. Most used items in top drawers, heavy little used ones in bottom.
https://www.bisley.com/shop/29-series-multidrawer-10-drawer/
I got it from a charity shop for a lot less than the list price.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #111263 on: January 15, 2022, 05:17:25 pm »

I just ordered a bunch from RS Components, should arrive early next week. :)

Next step, triax cables... I think I'll make them, I can get connectors that are very similar (Same brand even, I think) that HP/Yokogawa used for a good price, pending stock levels etc...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 05:19:39 pm by TERRA Operative »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #111264 on: January 15, 2022, 05:29:58 pm »

I just ordered a bunch from RS Components, should arrive early next week. :)

Next step, triax cables... I think I'll make them, I can get connectors that are very similar (Same brand even, I think) that HP/Yokogawa used for a good price, pending stock levels etc...

Very good. I cheaped out for now and got some of those from that Chinese seller on ebay. They are ok but not very consistent quality wise. They sent me another one because one of the original 4 has a problem.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #111265 on: January 15, 2022, 05:30:39 pm »
Just a heads up: I replaced the linefilter on the Solartron 7055. Boots up fine, but was about half a percent off in measurements. Got to work on the compensation for the reference (in attachment) but that doesn't react as I expected it to (linking both G & H puts it in a boot loop, most other links simply do nothing at all,...).

All in all, I went as far as (and a bit further) as "economic repair" allows. So, I'll  send it off for auction on eBay. Unless one of you lot wants to have a go? Either as a purchase or just as a free "project" to be returned if/when you figure it out.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested. If not: expect your eBay search filters to be triggered  8)

Did you check the links are correct for the voltage the reference is outputting? If they are, then it's not the reference that needs adjusting, but the front end. I'd be more inclined to suspect drift/damage there anyway...

Well, the odd thing was that both A and B links were made, which doesn't make sense. I'm not claiming I set all the links exactly as they should but, well, adjusting up or down should have an effect. It doesn't. Whatever the 'right' values are, I should be able to set both H and G together but it gets stuck in the "hello" loop.

You may well be right the problem lies elsewhere, but as I said: the "economic repair" ship has sailed and I need to board "HMS let's see how much can I recover in an  auction" or "SS let's hand it over the Asylum".

Ah, I suspect you have been looking at the wrong table... I think you've used the 7065 table; the 7055 table is further down and very different (page 4.5.52 on the pdf). H and G should never be used together on the 7055, but may be on the 7065. A and B should never be used together on the 7065, but may be on the 7055.

Looking again at the pic you linked of the reference, that's from the 7065. I'll link the 7055 reference at the end of this post.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111266 on: January 15, 2022, 05:35:40 pm »
I keep one of these  the end of the bench. It's shallow drawer are ideal for small tools handheld TE etc. Most used items in top drawers, heavy little used ones in bottom.
https://www.bisley.com/shop/29-series-multidrawer-10-drawer/
I got it from a charity shop for a lot less than the list price.

Made of steel, looks nice, even has a label holder... and I see they make pink ones, sexy !  Want one !  8)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #111267 on: January 15, 2022, 05:44:25 pm »
The plug-in cabinet has been sanded and stained. Next step is 2 coats of poly then it will be done. The aluminum shelves have been removed to facilitate staining and poly.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, Kosmic, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #111268 on: January 15, 2022, 05:56:10 pm »

Ah, I suspect you have been looking at the wrong table... I think you've used the 7065 table; the 7055 table is further down and very different (page 4.5.52 on the pdf). H and G should never be used together on the 7055, but may be on the 7065. A and B should never be used together on the 7065, but may be on the 7055.

Looking again at the pic you linked of the reference, that's from the 7065. I'll link the 7055 reference at the end of this post.

Ack! Conundrum! Open her back up or let the auction run its course  :scared:

EDIT: looked at the schematic. So, yeah.  |O
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 06:50:18 pm by Ice-Tea »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111269 on: January 15, 2022, 06:18:51 pm »
I do wonder why Daniel from KS that frequents here has seemed to have gone AWOL however I'd bet his inbox is getting a bashing.

Well, the Keysight give-aways from Dave's raffle last April still haven't shown up, and I think Daniel has probably gone from "embarrassed" to "can't show my face in public".

Last time I heard from him in respect of that was 19th August last year. Part of me is going "Can't really complain, we are talking free after all", another part is going "Keysight eh? Lucky you changed the name or Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard would be turning in their graves.".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, factory

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111270 on: January 15, 2022, 06:47:32 pm »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #111271 on: January 15, 2022, 06:57:01 pm »
I do wonder why Daniel from KS that frequents here has seemed to have gone AWOL however I'd bet his inbox is getting a bashing.

Well, the Keysight give-aways from Dave's raffle last April still haven't shown up, and I think Daniel has probably gone from "embarrassed" to "can't show my face in public".

Last time I heard from him in respect of that was 19th August last year. Part of me is going "Can't really complain, we are talking free after all", another part is going "Keysight eh? Lucky you changed the name or Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard would be turning in their graves.".
Daniel was logged in a day or 2 back here for a while.
I can't quite work out the guts of it all other than think it's a positioning to push KS resellers to earn their keep.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111272 on: January 15, 2022, 06:58:52 pm »

Is that price a –ing joke or what? £1400 pounds ex VAT for a 1m x 700mm square set of filing draws? A 1m x 500 x 600 three drawer filing cabinet from Bisley* is £255 inc VAT - not an exact match, but roughly parallel; certainly close enough to know that someone's pricing is stratospheric.

*Bisley are the UK 'standard' in almost every office in the country. It's one of those names that everybody will know subconsciously, like Armitage-Shanks.

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111273 on: January 15, 2022, 07:08:58 pm »

Is that price a –ing joke or what? £1400 pounds ex VAT for a 1m x 700mm square set of filing draws? A 1m x 500 x 600 three drawer filing cabinet from Bisley* is £255 inc VAT - not an exact match, but roughly parallel; certainly close enough to know that someone's pricing is stratospheric.

*Bisley are the UK 'standard' in almost every office in the country. It's one of those names that everybody will know subconsciously, like Armitage-Shanks.

That sounds about right. They are high end industrial storage unit. Very similar to Lista. The build is orders of magnitude higher than a filing cabinet. You could literally use the drawers on a Lista as a set of steps. Don't ask how I know....
https://www.lista.com/en/

The following users thanked this post: WastelandTek

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111274 on: January 15, 2022, 07:19:10 pm »
Who says workshop equipment has no place in the kitchen?

Not me!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, syau

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf