Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16703191 times)

patrickvdb, wkb, Wolfgang, Kosmic and 101 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #111125 on: January 13, 2022, 09:04:49 pm »

While there are many areas where personal preferences make it useless to argue over products, bulk storage solutions is not one of those. I am convinced of the superiority of the Eurobox, which leaves the exact make and style open to taste, of course.

I have been ogling them repeatedly. I believe, like you that they are superior. I will migrate my storage solution to Euroboxen Any Year Now.  :-DD

Also, Euroboxen are Euro pallet compatible, which is good for me who has pallets in the garage.
*coughSORTIMOcough*

mnem
And you thought FESTOOL was aspensiff...  :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111126 on: January 13, 2022, 09:19:56 pm »
Better Be Right Or Your Great Big Venture Goes Wrong.

mnem
 :-/O
Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.  >:D

*drinks*

mnem

There once was a young man from Boston,
who drove around in an Austin.
But the car was so small,
he had to hang out his balls...
...and he drove past a phone pole & lost 'em."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111127 on: January 13, 2022, 09:22:00 pm »
Thanks to BU508A showing his Xiaomei Wiha toolkit on Discord last Saturday, I found out about a real piggery from Wiha. Once it was general understanding in the tool business that, although they might be called 4mm, this type of micro bits had to conform to the 5/32" drive standard. This standard places the retaining element (spring-loaded ball) at the bit. Wiha was compliant with this too, as I bought bits from them for use in a Belzer 5/32" handle. Now they sell the apparently same kit and bits - and they are lacking the retaining element.
I only got behind it because one vendor of Wiha bits lists the Wiha numbers for his remaining stock. And they are totally different to what they currently offer. They call that drive C4 now. so it might be even a coordinated piggery.
Those that bought Wiha micro bits before and assume that the currently offered parts will fit their use, are the fools. And they don't tell that anyone, like a company with their standing should do. So one can say now
*** WIHA has lost their balls! ***
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 09:40:30 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, FransW

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #111128 on: January 13, 2022, 09:28:51 pm »

mnem

Big Boys Race Our Young Girls But Violet Generally Wins (taught to us by our electronics shop teacher in freshman (9th) year; he then told us to talk to the juniors (11th year) to get the 'other' mnemonic that probably shouldn't be repeated in polite company - in that one the boys were bad, and did something else spelled very similarly to the young girls, however Violet was a willing participant.)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111129 on: January 13, 2022, 09:31:08 pm »
As to having a coax or a screened cable, coming from the back of it, is that so bad?

Not "baaaad"... I mean just unpracticla and weird, having a coax looping from the back.... woud you find it convenient and natural to have every piece of TE in your lab, your scopes and generator and power supply and what not require you to plug the oupui cable at the back ?!  :-//

Power socket however, you only plug it once and you do'nt want it in the way, so every piece of TE, even vintage stuff (but Metrix it seems !  :-DD ) have the power cable/socket at the back... seems obvious and natural to every manufacturer...

After all, you are talking about putting a IEC socket there to stop it from zapping you, I doubt that you would be able to mount it in the front where the old 2 pin socket is located  :-//

Well I guess one could make anything fit, with a big enough chainsaw !  :-DD
But it wold look really too out of place... a BNC socket in comparison is much more acceptable... to me  ;D

Any way, its over to you, its yours, and you will have to live with what ever solution you come up with

Yes it's mine !  >:D  ... and having a BNC at the front an IEC / power at the back is just like any scope ever made (but Metrix...) probably, so yes I could " live with that " just fine, just like everybody here lives just fine with the same setup and every piece of gear they have ! ;D

Why don't you try pushing one of these adapters you have into the antenna socket on that TV you have been given and see if it fits as tightly in that?

Hey good idea !  :-+  Result : fits perfectly !

Then I had another idea.... have that other piece of Metrix TE, that huge Wobulator boat anchor if you remember that one. It has many sockets, and comes with a little jumper cable so you can connect one socket to another, in order to setup the instrument properly. So, first I tried the adapter into all the sockets on that Wobulator : would never go in, hard as a rock.

Then I took the jumper cable and tried to shove into the RF generator... fits perfectly, both ends of the cable do !

So... does not look like tolerance issue... looks more like the size was 9.0mm back in the day when these were used for TE stuff, but 60 years later where they are only used for TV consumer stuff, they now make it 9.5mm instead, that is all... so it's a lost cause so... if I get bored of my hack sawed adapter one day, I guess next step is retrofit a BNC socket instead.... and you would won that one... you get a cookie... you want them with just chocolate chips, or hazelnut chunks as well mixed in ?!

I also note the refined / elaborate construction of the plugs of the jumper cable, see pic below. It's a 4 slit design, which measures exactly the same diameter as the socket (9mm), so again no tolerance issue there, and it has a circular spring/clip inside , towards the top, inside a little groove. Clever... the 4 slits let the plug deform a bit to get into the socket, but the spring keeps it from deforming too much. Makes for a more reliable contact. Someone was thinking and trying to get these crappy connectors as best they could make them.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111130 on: January 13, 2022, 09:44:11 pm »
Thanks to BU508A showing his Xiaomei Wiha toolkit on Discord last Saturday, I found out about a real piggery from Wiha. Once it was general understanding in the tool business that, although they might be called 4mm, this type of micro bits had to conform to the 5/32" drive standard. This standard places the retaining element (spring-loaded ball) at the bit. Wiha was compliant with this too, as I bought bits from them for use in a Belzer 5/32" handle. Now they sell the apparently same kit and bits - and they are lacking the retaining element.
I only got behind it because one vendor of Wiha bits lists the Wiha numbers for his remaining stock. And they are totally different to what they currently offer. They call that drive C4 now. so it might be even a coordinated piggery.
Those that bought Wiha micro bits before and assume that the currently offered parts will fit their use, are the fools. And they don't tell that anyone, like a company with their standing should do. So one can say now

mnem
Oh wait, here they are... :o

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #111131 on: January 13, 2022, 09:49:41 pm »

mnem

Big Boys Race Our Young Girls But Violet Generally Wins (taught to us by our electronics shop teacher in freshman (9th) year; he then told us to talk to the juniors (11th year) to get the 'other' mnemonic that probably shouldn't be repeated in polite company - in that one the boys were bad, and did something else spelled very similarly to the young girls, however Violet was a willing participant.)

-Pat
Yep, much prefer the version that ends with Violet Gives Willingly.  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111132 on: January 13, 2022, 10:37:00 pm »
As to having a coax or a screened cable, coming from the back of it, is that so bad?

Not "baaaad"... I mean just unpracticla and weird, having a coax looping from the back.... woud you find it convenient and natural to have every piece of TE in your lab, your scopes and generator and power supply and what not require you to plug the oupui cable at the back ?!  :-//

Power socket however, you only plug it once and you do'nt want it in the way, so every piece of TE, even vintage stuff (but Metrix it seems !  :-DD ) have the power cable/socket at the back... seems obvious and natural to every manufacturer...

After all, you are talking about putting a IEC socket there to stop it from zapping you, I doubt that you would be able to mount it in the front where the old 2 pin socket is located  :-//

Well I guess one could make anything fit, with a big enough chainsaw !  :-DD
But it wold look really too out of place... a BNC socket in comparison is much more acceptable... to me  ;D

Any way, its over to you, its yours, and you will have to live with what ever solution you come up with

Yes it's mine !  >:D  ... and having a BNC at the front an IEC / power at the back is just like any scope ever made (but Metrix...) probably, so yes I could " live with that " just fine, just like everybody here lives just fine with the same setup and every piece of gear they have ! ;D

Why don't you try pushing one of these adapters you have into the antenna socket on that TV you have been given and see if it fits as tightly in that?

Hey good idea !  :-+  Result : fits perfectly !

Then I had another idea.... have that other piece of Metrix TE, that huge Wobulator boat anchor if you remember that one. It has many sockets, and comes with a little jumper cable so you can connect one socket to another, in order to setup the instrument properly. So, first I tried the adapter into all the sockets on that Wobulator : would never go in, hard as a rock.

Then I took the jumper cable and tried to shove into the RF generator... fits perfectly, both ends of the cable do !

So... does not look like tolerance issue... looks more like the size was 9.0mm back in the day when these were used for TE stuff, but 60 years later where they are only used for TV consumer stuff, they now make it 9.5mm instead, that is all... so it's a lost cause so... if I get bored of my hack sawed adapter one day, I guess next step is retrofit a BNC socket instead.... and you would won that one... you get a cookie... you want them with just chocolate chips, or hazelnut chunks as well mixed in ?!

I also note the refined / elaborate construction of the plugs of the jumper cable, see pic below. It's a 4 slit design, which measures exactly the same diameter as the socket (9mm), so again no tolerance issue there, and it has a circular spring/clip inside , towards the top, inside a little groove. Clever... the 4 slits let the plug deform a bit to get into the socket, but the spring keeps it from deforming too much. Makes for a more reliable contact. Someone was thinking and trying to get these crappy connectors as best they could make them.

Hmm, it would seem then that Metrix either made their own modified version of that interface in an attempt to improve its reliability, and made a dimensional modification, or, there used to be another interface out there at that time that only Metrix seem to have adopted and therefore rare, but hey, at least you now know for sure there is a plug that will fit perfectly if you can find one, and you also know that the BNC option is still a possibility.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111133 on: January 13, 2022, 10:43:37 pm »
Yeah regardless of the outcome of all this, in any case I learned stuff while pulling my hair on this thing, and learning is the interesting bit  !  ;D

Maybe I can try to buy some cheap Metrix junk in super poor state... if it has a jumper cable, and then salvage the plugs from that cable and make adapters out of them.

I am reluctant in using my existing cable to do that, because it's required for the Wobulator to work, so selling the Wobulator without its cable would be rather difficult... nobody would want it.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111134 on: January 13, 2022, 10:54:09 pm »

mnem
Oh wait, here they are... :o
And the extremely funny thing is, that I had no idea of your preceding post when writing the one about Wiha!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #111135 on: January 13, 2022, 11:05:54 pm »

I'm convinced, this was the idea of some MBA holders and not of the engineers at Wiha. :rant:  >:(
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #111136 on: January 13, 2022, 11:17:29 pm »
Ok, sometimes, now and then, the AA501A will work, register a clean waveform, and present the wave and the gunk on its monitor and function outputs. I also learnt that the Chinesium solder-sucker is a RFI source.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #111137 on: January 13, 2022, 11:21:17 pm »
I was sitting around at the bench and soldering XLR's like one does. Nice, fine XLRs. As I was through 4,6,5 and 1,3 I heard "*pop* Fssssszzzzzzzzz"

UH-OH.

Of course.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111138 on: January 14, 2022, 12:02:16 am »
Has anyone ever tried this style of test clips (accidentally spotted on eBay while looking for something else)? Any good?

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, Mortymore, ch_scr, graybeard, DH7DN

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #111139 on: January 14, 2022, 12:06:46 am »

mnem

-Pat
Yep, much prefer the version that ends with Violet Virgins Gives Willingly.  >:D

FTFY.

But then I also have "virgin pliers".

"PC means personal computer"
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111140 on: January 14, 2022, 12:17:13 am »
Has anyone ever tried this style of test clips (accidentally spotted on eBay while looking for something else)? Any good?

Nope, I just hope and pray that the 1mm shaft is insulated otherwise it is a short circuit city in the making.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #111141 on: January 14, 2022, 12:25:25 am »

Nope, I just hope and pray that the 1mm shaft is insulated otherwise it is a short circuit city in the making.

Never seen them. Might have pulled the trigger to test them but they're $26.50 + $2 shipping. At about half that I would have done it.

eBay auction: #373777648951
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111142 on: January 14, 2022, 12:28:33 am »
Yep, much prefer the version that ends with Violet Virgins Gives Willingly.  >:D

FTFY.

But then I also have "virgin pliers".

"PC means personal computer Perverted Confuser"

FT-FTFY. :-DD

mnem
I am not a pervert, I am a prevert: I was this way before it was cool. >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111143 on: January 14, 2022, 12:32:50 am »

Never seen them. Might have pulled the trigger to test them but they're $26.50 + $2 shipping. At about half that I would have done it.

Looks like SDK08 Test Clip is the relevant search term:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=SDK08&_sacat=0

https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/SDK08.html

https://www.banggood.com/10Pcs-SDK08-Test-Clip-SMD-Grippers-Test-Clips-Ultra-Small-Clip-Foot-Clip-Micro-Chip-Online-Burning-Clip-p-1823454.html

Different style here:  https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-oscilloscope-multimeter-Generator-Programmer/dp/B07XNQ8CQW

Looks like the barrel is insulated:

mnem
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 12:53:36 am by mnementh »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #111144 on: January 14, 2022, 12:48:53 am »
I had to completely replace the foam in the case of test fixture boards I got for my 4145B. I was lucky the set contained the tiny leads for connecting up your DUT, but it's missing one of them. I've been looking for an extra to complete the set, so if you come across any, let me know!

Which wires do you need? I can get Staubli SLS205 stacking 2mm gold plated banana plugs, and also gold plated hook probes off the shelf in Akihabara so I'm making my own leads with teflon wire.
Maybe you can find these parts or equivalents locally?

https://www.sengoku.co.jp/mod/sgk_cart/detail.php?code=EEHD-5N3L

https://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/g/gP-11774/

Let me check...I believe the one I am missing is one of the 1mm to 1mm ones that allows you to connect up two DUTs in the regular transistor test fixture (using the switch).

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111145 on: January 14, 2022, 01:06:06 am »
Just popped up here :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipements_industriels/2101126198.htm

Guy sells NIB (original pouch, manual, all accessories...) Tek probes, passive, 1GHz, TPP1000.

Has 4 available, at 80 Euros each.

Sounds like a good deal no, what do you think ??

Am tempted to get at least one, can't afford more.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111146 on: January 14, 2022, 01:12:04 am »
Do you have anything with a input anywhere close to 3.9 puff...?

Or are you employing a variant of Bait Theory...? ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:16:01 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #111147 on: January 14, 2022, 01:29:26 am »
Just popped up here :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipements_industriels/2101126198.htm

Guy sells NIB (original pouch, manual, all accessories...) Tek probes, passive, 1GHz, TPP1000.

Has 4 available, at 80 Euros each.

Sounds like a good deal no, what do you think ??

Am tempted to get at least one, can't afford more.

Looks like that is a TekProbe or newer interface, so it's a great deal if you have a scope that works with that.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111148 on: January 14, 2022, 01:30:25 am »

Looks like SDK08 Test Clip is the relevant search term:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=SDK08&_sacat=0

https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/SDK08.html

https://www.banggood.com/10Pcs-SDK08-Test-Clip-SMD-Grippers-Test-Clips-Ultra-Small-Clip-Foot-Clip-Micro-Chip-Online-Burning-Clip-p-1823454.html

Different style here:  https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-oscilloscope-multimeter-Generator-Programmer/dp/B07XNQ8CQW

Looks like the barrel is insulated:

mnem

I have taken one for the team and ordered a set from Aliexpress, £8.11 delivered, will advise more when I receive them.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al, Saskia, dl6lr

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111149 on: January 14, 2022, 01:45:00 am »
Do you have anything with a input anywhere close to 3.9 puff...?

Or are you employing a variant of Bait Theory...? ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Ah, so that's what the 3.9pf marking onthe probe means....

I was thinking of using them on my TDS 694C. Neither the front panel nor the user manual state what the input capacitance is, but it's a 3GHz scope so presumably it should do it ?!

But no.... bad idea. Just saw in the manual a section about probes. They clearly warn that because it's a 50ohms only scope, you can't use a general purpose x10 probe as it requires a 1Meg input.
So, it's a no no.

They say the scope is to be used with either of these two probes : P6249 or P6158.

They say that I should be using either an active differential probe as it's made for use with a 50ohms scope, or a low impedance probe, which also is meant for 50ohms scopes.

Well I can keep my money then, great !  ;D

Oculus you are right, I downloaded the manual for the probe and it does say it's meant for the newer fancier Tek scopes, not the ancient first gen TDS scopes...

So me needs a low impedance probe then.... good thing is that the manual says that they have one thing going for them : much better bandwidth / price value than a general purpose x10 high-impedance probe. More GHz for your Euros !  8)

OK so now I can go to sleep in peace..., I learned something new today  ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:47:38 am by Vince »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf