Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16699239 times)

factory, wkb, KG7AMV, tryode and 104 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #110575 on: January 07, 2022, 09:34:17 am »
Nah, mine is charged mostly from my own solar and nuclear power. For the time being.

Also: that phrase reads as if I have my own nuclear power.  :-DD

On a forum where people own partical accelerators and mass spectrometers, that doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

McBryce.

Do you consider CRTs as partical accelerators?

Well technically they are, sort of?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110576 on: January 07, 2022, 10:30:21 am »
While you're digging dirt we're supposed to get 4 inches plus of the white stuff tonight.

We got 2-3 inches yesterday. Time to go buy snow tires I guess..... Back to factory stock rims for a while.. How embarrassing...  :P

Lines like that take me immediately back to the classic 1970s sequiter:

:o :o :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #110577 on: January 07, 2022, 11:25:21 am »

G'mornin' Brrruce...

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110578 on: January 07, 2022, 11:37:14 am »
Nah, mine is charged mostly from my own solar and nuclear power. For the time being.

On a forum where people own partical accelerators and mass spectrometers, that doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

McBryce.

Do you consider CRTs as partical accelerators?

Well technically they are, sort of?

McBryce.
Ummm.... so which definition of "partical" are we referring to here...?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=partical

mnem
*currently in the R&D phase of designing a practical butt-accelerator*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110579 on: January 07, 2022, 12:12:52 pm »
VCR / TV : yesterday was a good day, I managed to fix that 32" LCD TV I was given, so I could see if THAT one was working any better than the previous monitors I tried.... and it does, on this one SCART works, phew !  Not just that, but all my picture problems are gone now, picture is just fine on this TV ! No more black and white problem, no more fuzzy/"unfocused" image, no more unstable picture that keeps jumping up and down all the time... there is nothing to complain anymore, picture is as fine as it can be from a 20 year old VHS tape running on an unserviced 20 year old VCR !  ;D

That's cool, at last I have a TV I can use when I need to. Plus it's very "manageable" as it's not too big and not too small, is super slim and feather light (you can hold it in the air with just two fingers easily !  :o )

So that's now an extra piece of TE in the lab... can use it to view SCART or TV if need be, when fixing or playing with stuff.

Does not have a composite input though, which is a bummer. So might replace it with another TV if one day I am given one that has both SCART and video composite.
However SCART has both RGB and composite signals available, so maybe I can make a little adapter to feed a composite signal through SCART. However that's assuming the TV uses the composite signal of the SCART connector, rather than RGB. Have not tested for this. Anyway, for now I have a working TV and VCR so that's cool, it's handy.

So what was wrong with the TV ? Yes, power supply again ! But no, not an electrolytic cap !  Still a cap though !

First inspection, off-line, I saw black burn marks under the miniature / sealed PCB mount fuse. Checked it, blown indeed. No other visual sign of damage on the board though...
So checked the diode bridge, made of 4 discrete diodes. Two of them were shorted. Hmm... there must have been a catastrophic failure / short circuit on the primary.

However a resistance measurement showed zero sign of a short ! As far as individual components, big filter cap looked fine, but pulled one of its legs anyway to give it a good test. Not shorted, not low impedance, capacitance still spot on..it's just fine. MOSFET ? Again looked fine and no obvious sign of a short between any of the pins.

So I was a bit baffled. So grabbed a scrap board and salvaged an appropriate fuse and replacement diodes. Covered the board with a big transparent plastic box for security, and plugged it.... glad I put that box !  :-DD  Instant explosion and big fireworks !  :--

Again fuse and two rectifier diodes blew, but again no sign of damage to filter cap of MOSFET, was still baffled !!  How can I get such a catastrophic high power failure UP stream, and have zero blatant damage DOWN stream ?! Doesn't make sense !  :scared:
I pulled the MOSFET ( a tiny surface mount D-PAK package) and tested it on my 10 Euro Chinese component tester... best 10 Euros I spent on the lab for sure, this little thing is worth every cent. MOSFET was fine, detected properly.

I had no more appropriate fuse (unless I spent two days going through my 3 large boxes of scrap boards....) and since it looks mysterious and probably requiring a few more fireworks events until I can figure it out... I decided to go down town to visit my local electronics shop to quickly get a few fuses and diodes, enough to make several attempts at fixing the thing.

I brought the board with me, so I could show it to the guy and just tell him just give me some diodes of the same size, and fuses that can fit this footprint... but when he looked at the board he instantly noticed a damaged cap that I had not seen !  A tiny blue disc ceramic, that I paid no attention to because it looked like small and located physically more in the low power part of the primary, not the main power path that blew.

He noticed that cap had arced. If you looked closely you could see a tiny black dot on it, and by feel with your nails, you could sense it was the result of tiny bit of material that parted with the cap.
So I looked at the traces leaving this cap, and hey presto, it WAS indeed related to the power path : one of its legs was connected to the positive output of the bridge rectifier / filter cap !
That sure would explain how it would blow the bridge without affecting the cap and MOSFET ! Would also explain why the short would manifest itself only when powered up, subjected to a high voltage, but NOT when doing a low voltage resistance check with a DMM ! So that looked very promising. Bought a replacement cap from the guy... expensive. 4,7nF 1kV, almost one Euro... and package was tiny, much smaller than the original. So I bought from him a 3kV one, which had the same package size as the original.  Over specced maybe, but not taking any chances. The original failed so clearly was not specced high enough. So am just adding an extra safety margin.... at twice the cost, 1.50 Euro the cap !

Fuse expensive too, 1,50 a pop !  :-\  So bought only two of them.

So once back home, fixed everything up. Before putting the small D-PAK MOSFET in place, I tested it one last time and nooooo.... it's dead now somehow ?!: Tester sees it as a pF cap, not as a tranny anymore !  :--    Maybe I blew it while handling it, too bad.  Obviously no way I was going to order a new MOSFET of same part number, and pay 10 Euros of shipping (local shop obviously is small so can't have it in stock, there are only so many parts they can stock). I was already 5 Euros worth into that TV, with the diodes caps and fuses, it was as far as I was willing to go.

So, I went caveman style for once, just to see what would happen...  I pulled a random MOSFET from a scrap SMPS board. Bad luck, part tested bad. Next board please ! Ah, this one is good. It's an N-channel which is what we need so great. Let's try that one !  Package is completely different. A big plastic TO-220 jobbie ! But same pinout and pin pitch as the D-PACK, so was painless to fit on the surface mount pads. I only had to bend the middle / drain leg backwards so I could solder it to the thermal pad of the D-PAK footprint.
Of course no idea of specs of either D-PAK or replacement TO-220 ! All I know is it's " big enough ", it's a MOSFET and N-channel, and it checked OK on the tester....so the fundamentals are good
Worst case, turn-on voltage is too high and the PWM oscillator/gate driver on the board can't turn it on and board won't work, or it will turn it on badly/partially and it will overheat (and not work probably). Or, Rdson is too high and it overheats again, or ... it blows... but the board already blew twice so no big deal, it can't possibly go more wrong that it already has... nothing to lose !  :-//   It's the best I could do with a budget of zero Euro, so either it worked, or I scrapped the TV.

So soldered that TO-220 in place, put the plastic box back onto the board just in case... and powered it up ! .... NO explosion ! GOOD !  :D

So away with the plastic box, and I reconnected all cables going to the board, secured it to the chassis with all 4 of its screws, especially since they are often mandatory as part of the ground plane : sometimes the ground plane is made of several distinct pieces and it relies on the mounting screws to join the ground plane into one piece.

Applied power and.... YEAH, it works !!!!  :box:   

So plugged the VCR via SCART, worked too, yes the repair was worth the trouble then, goal achieved !  Then played the Star Wars VHS tape, and picture was all good, did not exhibit any of the problems it had before when I was using video-composite on my computer monitor. 

Would my random TO-220 MOSFET frankensteined onto the board, blow ? Put it to the test : watched the movie from end to end, for the first time with a good picture, and colour all the way, was great... especially since I also found a way to silence the super noisy rattling head drum ! I just sticked my little spool of solder wick under the front left corner of the VCR, and hey presto, silence I got !  :D
So I could enjoy the movie. Lasted two hours or so. Then as soon as that was finished, I watched another tape/movie, 1h40min long.

So all in all 3h40 minutes of testing.... and the TV held up just fine ! 

So that's good enough for me ! Repaired for 5 Euros (and have some spares now as well...), and a salvaged/free MOSFET.
If the power supply ever blows again I can always fix it again, if I want / care. For now I call it a win.

Have a good day !  8)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 01:57:20 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, FransW, factory, cyclin_al, Martin Miranda, BILLPOD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #110580 on: January 07, 2022, 12:22:04 pm »
Good job Vince. Stand by I've got some pictures I think you will be interested in - coming soon.

:popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #110581 on: January 07, 2022, 02:02:15 pm »
Been so busy lately that haven't been rotating scopes on bench 1 as often as I should to give them some power up time. So the 2465 DMS back on the storage shelf and Type 422 and Type 454 getting some burn in. And noticed that the Type 422 has some flakiness on channel 2 which will need to be looked at.

Edit....after exercising the mode switches a few times channel 2 cleared up and is now OK.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 02:07:43 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, Specmaster, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110582 on: January 07, 2022, 02:18:53 pm »
Been so busy lately that haven't been rotating scopes on bench 1 as often as I should to give them some power up time. So the 2465 DMS back on the storage shelf and Type 422 and Type 454 getting some burn in. And noticed that the Type 422 has some flakiness on channel 2 which will need to be looked at.

Edit....after exercising the mode switches a few times channel 2 cleared up and is now OK.

Not sure if it's a sanctuary or spa for tec scopes  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #110583 on: January 07, 2022, 02:22:27 pm »

Not sure if it's a sanctuary or spa for tec scopes  :-DD

A safe haven from the tube rapists and audiophools.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, Cubdriver, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #110584 on: January 07, 2022, 02:59:32 pm »
@med6753:

Have you checked the clock in your Honda recently?

https://jalopnik.com/honda-clocks-are-stuck-20-years-in-the-past-and-this-mi-1848306970
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #110585 on: January 07, 2022, 03:23:21 pm »
@med6753:

Have you checked the clock in your Honda recently?

https://jalopnik.com/honda-clocks-are-stuck-20-years-in-the-past-and-this-mi-1848306970

Interesting. Neither of my Hondas have factory nav so just a clock, no calendar. So not affected. Sort of reminds you of Y2K, don't it? That turned out to be a little mouse fart into a hurricane.  ::)

Let's hope the programmer who hosed this isn't Japanese or else he may have to sharpen his samurai sword.  :o 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 03:30:16 pm by med6753 »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #110586 on: January 07, 2022, 03:33:54 pm »
Firmware update. Tats what they need. Maybe they used a SIRF-star 3 chip, my MIO PND had that, a few years after I bought it. Its intentional, I'm sure.

They want people to buy a new insanely overpriced car brand named GPS. This is called "planned obsolescence". Governments should require that full firmware updates for things like that be free and easy to applyfor a reasonable time (20-30 yrs for a car, at least)
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110587 on: January 07, 2022, 03:38:03 pm »

Brrruce...? Brrrooo-a-oo-ooce...? Where ARE ya boy...?!?

BRRRRRUCE COME HOOOOOOME!!!
    :-DD

mnem
*wondering what to do for the next day or 3 of being snowbound* :o

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 03:41:03 pm by mnementh »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110588 on: January 07, 2022, 03:39:02 pm »
VCR / TV :

Does not have a composite input though, which is a bummer. So might replace it with another TV if one day I am given one that has both SCART and video composite.
However SCART has both RGB and composite signals available, so maybe I can make a little adapter to feed a composite signal through SCART. However that's assuming the TV uses the composite signal of the SCART connector, rather than RGB. Have not tested for this. Anyway, for now I have a working TV and VCR so that's cool, it's handy.

How can you be sure which signals were used in the connection VCR<>TV  via SCART? I've seen SCART implementations where the RGB signals were unconnected as well as the other way round.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110589 on: January 07, 2022, 03:47:19 pm »

VCR / TV : yesterday was a good day, I managed to fix that 32" LCD TV I was given, so I could see if THAT one was working any better than the previous monitors I tried.... and it does, on this one SCART works, phew !  Not just that, but all my picture problems are gone now, picture is just fine on this TV ! No more black and white problem, no more fuzzy/"unfocused" image, no more unstable picture that keeps jumping up and down all the time... there is nothing to complain anymore, picture is as fine as it can be from a 20 year old VHS tape running on an unserviced 20 year old VCR !  ;D
(SNIP)
So that's good enough for me ! Repaired for 5 Euros (and have some spares now as well...), and a salvaged/free MOSFET. If the power supply ever blows again I can always fix it again, if I want / care. For now I call it a win.

Have a good day !  8)
Well MacGyverfied, Vince!

I've done more TO220-to-DPAK D2PAK substitutions than I can remember; the DPAK D2PAK is the same part as its TO220 cousin aside from how the heat-sink tab and leads are formed. Typically if you can get close to the original specs in this application, it'll be fine; it's usually being driven as a ultrasonic AF switcher. Looking for a similar part in the same application on a scrap board is a good way to get that, if you have the time to go rummaging through bins of boards.  ;)

The dead safety cap suggests probably a voltage surge on the mains; common failure modes with this COD include "Dead FET Walking" and other "zombie parts" downstream that test good at triage time, but fail on first or 3rd or 10th powerup, etc down the road. These can be very frustrating in a repair shop scenario.

As you say, however... a good gamble given cost of original unit was zero, and risk:reward ratio is high.

Wait til you get into a bigg'un like the Dark Lord Regza...

...where the gamble is more like $30-40 for a whole board, but you've already done battle with it twice and gotten to use it for a while, so you actually kindof LIKE the thing... :scared: Fun times...  :-DD

One thing you want to do is look for a Harmony remote for your lab.

I have several of the Harmony One "Roach Remote" like this one; they can be programmed to your model of TV, VCR, BluRay Player, HT, etc via USB, and unlike most of the crappy overpriced "punch in a code" remotes, actually have all the special buttons to control things like picture presets and most importantly, aspect ratio. These can often be found pretty cheap on eBay or at some Thrift stores (usually most likely in the more affluent neighborhoods).

Some older sources, like your Star Wars tape (and my collection of original unaltered Ep 4, 5 & 6) are mastered in horizontal letterbox for the TVs of the time, which were mostly 4:3 aspect ratio. If you can find and turn on "vertical stretch" mode in the remote (the menu buttons on the back of the TV might get you there, but you can't count on it), the horizontal black bars at top/bottom go away and your Trade Federation battleship will look like it should (although it won't magically turn this sharp and crisp; sorry ;) ):

Cheers!

mnem
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 07:13:30 pm by mnementh »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110590 on: January 07, 2022, 03:48:03 pm »

mnem

Look like a nice neighborhood. How expensive are those houses ?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #110591 on: January 07, 2022, 03:48:08 pm »

McBryce.

Whether it would be reasonable is a matter of opinion. It would be eminently plausible, however...

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110592 on: January 07, 2022, 04:12:09 pm »
Just ordered:
1 Set of original GenRad GR900 adaptors.
(GR900<>N-f, GR900<>N-m, GR900<>BNC-m, GR900 50R Termination)

The following users thanked this post: Vgkid, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110593 on: January 07, 2022, 04:19:36 pm »

mnem

He's still there, breaching the surface occasionally to gasp some air.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110594 on: January 07, 2022, 04:48:13 pm »

mnem

LOL...  :-DD   Wrong phylum altogether, buddy; Brrruce is a fish.  ;)
Waitaminnit... he's a landshark. Guess he has to have some way of breathing air... supergills maybe?

Looks like a nice neighborhood. How expensive are those houses ?
A quick Gurrgle sez median price for this neighborhood is $334K. A much nicer/tidier looking place nearby sold a month ago for $502K. Our place is effing huge, but definitely needs lots of fixer-upper work; paint in fair to poor shape in/out, screws/nails everywhere, door hinges need fixing, creaky floors, crumbling stucco, etc.

But separate unit AC in attic/basement, mostly copper plumbing (yeah, we need to do lead testing soon; drinking bottled dihydrogen monoxide for the time being) and 3 zones of 40's vintage radiant heat. Hardwood floors throughout and an addition on back; it's twice as much room as the biggest place we had in Houston or Toronto.

COVID property bubble has hit this neighborhood too tho; we're paying approx $400 more a month than real estate guide says we should be, and current estimated value is 100K more than pre-COVID. Pretty sure condition will be a big modifier, tho.

If we get the chance to buy, I'd certainly jump on it.

mnem

wanna build a snowdwagon...?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 04:57:06 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110595 on: January 07, 2022, 05:09:21 pm »

mnem

mnem

Waitaminnit... he's a landshark. Guess he has to have some way of breathing air... supergills maybe?

Precisely my point, who has ever heard of a fish that could survive this long out of water unless its amphibious, its even tethered  :-DD :-DD

Where is the TOD parked then, we don't see it in your photos? It sure does look like a nice area, plenty of space, over here that be a sign that it's millionaires row  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110596 on: January 07, 2022, 05:09:56 pm »
Not bad. Look like you found yourself a nice place to live  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110597 on: January 07, 2022, 05:26:36 pm »
VCR / TV :

How can you be sure which signals were used in the connection VCR<>TV  via SCART?

I do NOT know, that's precisely what I wrote !  :-//

Communication problem here I think !  ;D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #110598 on: January 07, 2022, 05:30:47 pm »
Just ordered:
1 Set of original GenRad GR900 adaptors.
(GR900<>N-f, GR900<>N-m, GR900<>BNC-m, GR900 50R Termination)

Wow, those are not very common. What's your use case?

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #110599 on: January 07, 2022, 05:33:44 pm »

mnem

mnem

Precisely my point, who has ever heard of a fish that could survive this long out of water unless its amphibious, its even tethered  :-DD :-DD

Where is the TOD parked then, we don't see it in your photos? It sure does look like a nice area, plenty of space, over here that be a sign that it's millionaires row  :-+

Mudfish are true fish and not amphibians. Some can live out of water for months, providing they are able to keep moist:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudfish
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf