Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16919503 times)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #105850 on: October 29, 2021, 06:29:43 pm »
There are extra scratches on the front panel which I'm guessing was done by one of the sellers' packing and shipping morlocks.

Was it on Ebay ? If the scratches were not there in the ad.. then it's not conform to the ad so you could file  a claim, return it or get some of your money back ??

For a couple of scratches? Probably not. If it fails in any way to operate correctly, then yes.

Well if the scratches do bother you, then yes, claim it is... nothing to lose, either it works or it does not...
As for operation.. well you know enough about electronics to make it FAIL to operate, in some undetectable/subtle way... replace some resistor and modify its value to make it misbehave...  8)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #105851 on: October 29, 2021, 06:38:32 pm »
oh whutaday ...
(SNIP)
Totally bust my diet, did not make my 10 kms yesterday and today and also had a lunch break at my favorite restaurant at the end of the universe.

I will do penance later.
Yeah, I'm right there myself today. Already at 16 grams/915kcal because I indulged both maple breakfast sausage and honey ham at lunch... so dinner will be fried eggs again or a plain hamburger pattie with yellow mustard. Maybe some olives for character...  :o

Tomorrow NEXT Saturday (DOYT!)
will be a guerilla attack on my keto: plain fried eggs & bacon, then one blowout meal at lunch with cyclin_al at the Iron Rooster, then the same plain burgers and/or eggs. This approach usually doesn't break the ketosis... we'll see. :o

mnem
thank Ifni for Iced Tea and fruity sparkling waters...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:16:18 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #105852 on: October 29, 2021, 06:41:01 pm »
oh whutaday ...

the newly bought car did not pass road safety inspection.

What were the failed items?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #105853 on: October 29, 2021, 06:41:32 pm »
There are extra scratches on the front panel which I'm guessing was done by one of the sellers' packing and shipping morlocks.

Was it on Ebay ? If the scratches were not there in the ad.. then it's not conform to the ad so you could file  a claim, return it or get some of your money back ??

For a couple of scratches? Probably not. If it fails in any way to operate correctly, then yes.

Well if the scratches do bother you, then yes, claim it is... nothing to lose, either it works or it does not...
As for operation.. well you know enough about electronics to make it FAIL to operate, in some undetectable/subtle way... replace some resistor and modify its value to make it misbehave...  8)

Tsk, we are engineers, not fraudsters!

Now if some bad listing happens to net me a bargain, I'm fine with that, but I'm not about to perjure myself on any account.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: scl, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, duckduck

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #105854 on: October 29, 2021, 06:44:29 pm »
So, for example, in one box I have what I call "PC screws", which I know all go into building PCs and are obvious to my eye. I think they are all metric but I'm not 100% sure because I never needed to find out.

The 3 1/2" drives and most of the chassis use a UNC thread, 6-32 UNC-28, while the 5 1/4" use M3.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105855 on: October 29, 2021, 06:46:41 pm »
...The only break I had was yesterday afternoon, to take my car in for its MOT (yes my wheel speed sensor fix worked, and it passed with only 1 advisory), and the replacement ground crew managed to get his phone run over. Some people...   :palm:

Hey, at least he didn't run over your phone with a scissorlift...  :-+

mnem
think (+). charge (-). >:D

Of course not, I'm not a fuckwit that leaves his phone on the floor where a 2.5 tonne scissor lift is driving around.
Well yes, but we are talking aboot fuckwits here.  :o There is no doubt in my mind that given sufficient exposure to their presence, they can and will find a way to run over your phone too.  :-\

mnem
it does seem that "the lowest common denominator" always resolves all over me. |O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105856 on: October 29, 2021, 06:48:53 pm »
So, for example, in one box I have what I call "PC screws", which I know all go into building PCs and are obvious to my eye. I think they are all metric but I'm not 100% sure because I never needed to find out.

The 3 1/2" drives and most of the chassis use a UNC thread, 6-32 UNC-28, while the 5 1/4" use M3.
Fortunately, these are also now usually supplied as self-tappers, so there is some overlap with other applications. ;)

mnem
*screw'd*

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105857 on: October 29, 2021, 06:59:06 pm »
...The only break I had was yesterday afternoon, to take my car in for its MOT (yes my wheel speed sensor fix worked, and it passed with only 1 advisory), and the replacement ground crew managed to get his phone run over. Some people...   :palm:

mnem

Of course not, I'm not a fuckwit that leaves his phone on the floor where a 2.5 tonne scissor lift is driving around.
Well yes, but we are talking aboot fuckwits here.  :o There is no doubt in my mind that given sufficient exposure to their presence, they can and will find a way to run over your phone too.  :-\

mnem
it does seem that "the lowest common denominator" always resolves all over me. |O

To be clear, I'm calling the person replacing me as the ground crew a fuckwit, not the driver. The whole point One of the main reasons for the ground crew is to spot dangers that the driver might not reasonably be expected to see from 12 metres up in a dimly lit sports hall, while trying not to bang the MEWP into structural steels or 3 inch gas pipes (the other main reason being to operate emergency controls should the MEWP fail or the driver is incapacitated).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 07:03:54 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #105858 on: October 29, 2021, 07:00:42 pm »

Fortunately, these are also now usually supplied as self-tappers, so there is some overlap with other applications. ;)

mnem
*screw'd*
Really .....  the cheap bastards !

Looks at tautechs precious jar of PC only screws and HW.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #105859 on: October 29, 2021, 07:09:55 pm »
oh whutaday ...

axle sleeves, porous brake line, ball joints

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105860 on: October 29, 2021, 07:12:07 pm »
Tsk, we are engineers, not fraudsters!

:-+  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: Robert763, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105861 on: October 29, 2021, 07:39:53 pm »
Well despite all the discussion here about raising the low 11ft 8" bridge to 12ft 4" it seems it wasn't enough OR they never raised bar just before bridge, this lorry managed to hit the bar just 8 days ago  :-DD

Lorry? I don't see no stinkin lorry. I see a truck, but not a lorry.  :P :P :-DD
At what point do you stop calling a truck a lorry then? To us, a truck implies a smaller vehicle, like a tipper truck, pickup truck etc, but that in the video is 100% a lorry.  :P :-DD

If you don't call that a lorry then you know what to do, find the rope and piss up it  :P  :-DD :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 07:44:35 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105862 on: October 29, 2021, 07:47:52 pm »
@Vince

BTW, regarding exceptions to the rule that the French don't change the spelling of English words, here's one, off he top of my head:

fioul

Oh no, I think we need to stop or we will get kicked out of TEA, people will hack the server to delete our accounts !  :scared:

Yes " fioul " is a french-iazation of " fuel " you are right. Sounds the same but using a more French looking spelling so easier to remember.
What's more.... we use the term "fuel" to describe diesel fuel only, and only the kind you use for heating ion the house, not the one you put in your car, even though they are the same technically, whereas of course in English " fuel " can be either petrol or diesel fuel, or anything else that can burn really...

The proper term is "POL" which is supply chainese for "Petroleum, Oils, Lubricants".   :-DD

Did I tell I'm reading the US Ordnance Department history from the second world war?
Yes, you mentioned it. And thanks for the link!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105863 on: October 29, 2021, 07:56:19 pm »

... and also had a lunch break at my favorite restaurant at the end of the universe.

Saskia, we get it. Stop the fishy posts - we clearly accept that there is an upside to living near the coast!
Grrr...not much decent fish to be had round here.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #105864 on: October 29, 2021, 08:03:03 pm »
oh whutaday ...

axle sleeves, porous brake line, ball joints

Classics, all of them. I've fixed most of them myself, except brake lines; that was dealt with by the workshop as they discovered it.

If you decide to take on the sleeves, the proper way to get the outer drive joint off is to drive a long M10 screw into the center of the outer drive axle, pushing it off. The Haynes Book Of Lies is wrong.  The shorter M10 is not to be reused; it gets stretched by the 35Nm + 90° torque/angle tightening. Which ball joint? 

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #105865 on: October 29, 2021, 08:07:25 pm »
well, the dealer has to hand over the car with a fresh roadworthiness certificate which he can only get if he fixes it. So it is his problem. I am to pick up the car tomorrow with a fresh cert and a fresh cng check up cert

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #105866 on: October 29, 2021, 08:18:20 pm »
well, the dealer has to hand over the car with a fresh roadworthiness certificate which he can only get if he fixes it. So it is his problem. I am to pick up the car tomorrow with a fresh cert and a fresh cng check up cert

Ah, SEP, then.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105867 on: October 29, 2021, 08:32:08 pm »

Ah, SEP, then.

Which is as it should be; you pay a hefty premium for buying a used car from a dealer, part of that premium is to ensure full roadworthiness.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #105868 on: October 29, 2021, 08:35:40 pm »

Fix the car or fix the person that writes the certificate?

(Sorry, the state of UK politics affects my weltanschauung).
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #105869 on: October 29, 2021, 08:49:48 pm »
Oh, I nearly forgot: As I was doing the rounds at work today, picking up stuff delivered to the wrong desk (in spite of being clearly labeled with "KH-1-O", my grid reference.)  I happened to look down into an electronics scrap bin, and discovered a partially dismantled Oltronix triple voltage PSU. All parts were located, and it is in our lab at work now, waiting for transport home to my lab. Condition unknown, presumed magic smoke released. But, since it's designed in Sweden, originally in a suburb over the water from where I live (not far from where Philips Elektronikindustrier AB built frequency counters under Philips and Fluke brands), the risk of RIFA contamination is pretty high.

Borrowed pic (I did not have time to snap one of the actual item):

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105870 on: October 29, 2021, 08:58:05 pm »
I thought those things were Italian?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105871 on: October 29, 2021, 09:02:15 pm »

mnem

mnem

To be clear, I'm calling the person replacing me as the ground crew a fuckwit, not the driver. The whole point One of the main reasons for the ground crew is to spot dangers that the driver might not reasonably be expected to see from 12 metres up in a dimly lit sports hall, while trying not to bang the MEWP into structural steels or 3 inch gas pipes (the other main reason being to operate emergency controls should the MEWP fail or the driver is decapitated).

Sorry... this is how I read that... having used them more than a few times, and never with benefit of any "workman's safety agency" making sure I had adequate assistance of that nature, I'll tell you they scare the ever-loving bejeezus outta me.  :-\

Especially one time when due to narrow spaces between beams, I misjudged my most personal locational situation, and all-too-narrowly avoided rupturing a halide lamp with the back of my big ol' fuzzy haid. Literally got close enough to feel the static and heat and too much environmental noise to hear the buzz...  :scared:

mnem
"tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I...."

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #105872 on: October 29, 2021, 09:12:09 pm »
I thought those things were Italian?

Nopes, originally Swedish, later moved manufacture to the Netherlands. Their first office was about 11 km from where I live.

Radiomuseum has more details. (And I find linking to that site a somewhat mixed blessing, due to their strange policy on information sharing. I like to take things from them, but I do not like them getting more exposure.)

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105873 on: October 29, 2021, 09:17:27 pm »
Filed under too far gone:

HP 6264B linear supply

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194468003842

The corrosion is impossible to miss.    A second glance turns up many spots that got toasty warm. 

A shame.

The board doesn't look that bad to me, look underneath and it's obvious why it's discoloured, the current shunt is located there, the other spots are where power resistors are fitted.

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105874 on: October 29, 2021, 09:24:56 pm »
   ... and also had a lunch break at my favorite restaurant at the end of the universe.
Saskia, we get it. Stop the fishy posts - we clearly accept that there is an upside to living near the coast!   Grrr...not much decent fish to be had round here.

*raises a paw*

more please.  ;)

mnem
*inhales deeply*

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf