Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16695184 times)

ch_scr and 95 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Teti

• Regular Contributor
    • www.martenelectric.cz
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #104575 on: October 13, 2021, 08:16:34 pm »
Simple guide when purchasing new TE  :-DD Show you wife if you must  :-//
Vintage audio gear connoisseur, computer enthusiast, time-nut, music lover, vintage games gamer, nerd, tinkerer and shady electronic projects maker.
http://www.martenelectric.cz/

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Andrew_Debbie

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104576 on: October 13, 2021, 08:16:39 pm »
Oh no, forum is ultra slow here again !  :(  Could not load all the Papa Smurf's pics ! Timed out halfway : I could see the top half of the pics, ie the function gen, but not the scope!  |O

That's not a function generator. It's a Fluke 7260A Frequency Counter connected to the Vertical Out on the 7904 to read the frequency of the signal applied. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104577 on: October 13, 2021, 08:18:06 pm »

I understand I am asking a bit much here, so I will be nice and give you a hint : #6.

For example I have FIVE type 317 scopes !

So I'd guess it's a 317  ::)

WHAT ?!!  :o

How can you possibly remember that ! You're not human, you are a computer ! Computer memory !!  :scared:

Yes you won !!!  :-+

You just won a big cookie, hope you are not on a diet !  ;D

Yes... my SIXTH Type 317 glowing Tek scope !  :scared:

My oldest too, being SN 001895.  Well I don't know, I have a USA made one, B002369.
Don't know how the two numbering systems correlate, a US made 2369 may possibly be older than a European made 1895, since I assume in the US they were churning them at a higher rate than in the rest of the world.

Anyway, this one popped up at 50 Euros, and seller willing to ship. Looked in good nick in the only pic the seller would show, the front of it. Of course unit was not plugged in, and no details in the ad other than two words... ad description was only two words long, I kid you not. It just said "For collectors".  So I was in  for a big gamble but I didn't care since I have already restored a 317 so this one was only meant for spares. So even if it were void of tubes, with a blown transformer and a defective CRT... it would still be a good source of parts to maintain and restore my Tek scopes in general, not just the type 317's. So really I had nothing to lose.... and what do you know ? Despite it all looked rather unpromising, it turned out to be my best 317 buy  !

First, it had some half decent packaging. Still not what I would call appropriate, but there was some attempt, above average (which doesn't say much really..), and it was enough for the scope to arrive 100% intact !  8)

Cabinet needs a respray if I were to restore it which I am not, but other than that it's in EXCELLENT nick inside out !!!

Face plate in great shape and all the bright work in great shape as well.  Just some old sticker residue to remove but that's easy enough, not worried at all.
Inside, despite it being a very old unit, it is, past a veil of dust of course, in actual excellent nick ! Zero corrosion anywhere, no greasy stuff on the tubes. Looks like a very low mileage unit, confirmed by the state of the air filter which looks like new ! So it all adds up. I got a winner !  :-+

What's more... even though this was NOT mentioned in the ad nor visible in the pic... I had a great surprise : carton did not only contain the scope... it also contained a LOVELY original paper copy of the operation/service manual with a nice thick green cover with gold lettering, all the foldout schematics and what not ! This is a museum piece... this is the one I should be restoring ! .... So I am tempted to do so.... it only really needs the cabinet resprayed that's all....
Hmmm.... will get a variac and see if the fundamentals are OK : main transformer and CRT. If so, might fix it electrically and give it a quick wash inside, it really doesn't need much at all, no restoration as such, just a quick clean/wash !  :-+ 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:15:20 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, TSCOLAN, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104578 on: October 13, 2021, 08:20:29 pm »
Just for comparison. Here is the same 10MHz signal from the Heath IG-4244 applied to a 50MHz B/W scope. Note no trailing edge ringing. It's there but way beyond the scope's ability to display it.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Neper

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104579 on: October 13, 2021, 08:30:24 pm »
Just for comparison. Here is the same 10MHz signal from the Heath IG-4244 applied to a 50MHz B/W scope. Note no trailing edge ringing. It's there but way beyond the scope's ability to display it.

I know I've said it before but I will say it again: "Dang that trace is sharp!"  :-+

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #104580 on: October 13, 2021, 08:30:58 pm »
Pretty tidy Vince, any signs of previous rework ?

And BTW to properly award the good Capt for his outstanding memory (or search skills) a visit to the TEA OP is needed to get the URL for this:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104581 on: October 13, 2021, 08:32:46 pm »
Vince, I don't know if it's available in France but this is the closest match I have found for Tek blue. From a distance you can't tell but up close and next to an original you can clearly see it.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #104582 on: October 13, 2021, 08:34:00 pm »

And BTW to properly award the good Capt for his outstanding memory (or search skills) a visit to the TEA OP is needed to get the URL for this:

Where's the chocolate chips?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 08:35:45 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #104583 on: October 13, 2021, 08:35:17 pm »

mnem
*slurrrrrrp* :P

The apple harvest in high gear here now. Flat bed trucks all day long with crates full of apples headed for cold storage or distribution.
*sigh*

The farm I grew up on had a very old apple grove in the south pasture... red delicious, and evidently later planting some golden delicious. Grand-dad and I spent part of a spring and summer tending the trees when I was still little enough to clamber around 'em like a monkey... sawed so many branches with a little bow saw my blisters had blisters.

He worked me hard those several weeks, but he was generous with praise and stingy with reprimand; one of the few pleasant memories I have of the old man. I wish I could remember half of what he was trying to teach me aboot why we were cutting this and not that... but heavens, how the trees flourished that summer; leaves brighter and greener than ever for not having to fight for sunlight and rain.

But the sweet, sweet reward was grand-momma's apple pies in the fall... hand-rolled crust with a million flaky layers, filling with too much brown sugar, cinnamon and a touch of molasses, and big candy-crystal sugar sprinkled on top of the buttered top crust before it all went in the oven so they stuck to the crust.

*mnemories*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104584 on: October 13, 2021, 08:43:46 pm »

Yes Tautech, Captain is right, what you offer here is a jammy cookie, but the price was a chocolate chips cookie, not quite the same thing.... maybe we should get a pic for that as well...

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104585 on: October 13, 2021, 08:44:30 pm »

We have the somewhat ironic German term Schätzeisen (literally an estimating iron). I haven't been able to find a true English equivalent.

But your photo goes a long way to show what a Schätzeisen the average scope ist, even if it's from Tek. 
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104586 on: October 13, 2021, 08:45:35 pm »

I know I've said it before but I will say it again: "Dang that trace is sharp!"  :-+

The first Tek I ever saw in person was a Type 547 in college electronics lab and that pin point sharp trace caught my eye immediately. Was a welcome change from a blurry Heathkit. Which is why I always lusted after one and why I refused to give up on this one even though it fought me tooth and nail for months.

There were 2 companies that made superior CRT's. Tektronix and Sony (Trinitron). Everyone else (RCA, GE, etc) were definitely 2nd rate. 

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, wolfy007

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104587 on: October 13, 2021, 08:47:06 pm »
Vince, I don't know if it's available in France but this is the closest match I have found for Tek blue. From a distance you can't tell but up close and next to an original you can clearly see it.

Ah thanks.... I always wondered how you proceeded to paint your cabinets.... so it's a simple spray can ?! Well, if the finish is good, I guess why not !

Obviously no chance of finding this particular can over here. My plan is just to get some custom paint mixed. I asked my paint shop, the have a machine to make custom colours. It does not have a spectrometer but it's got the full RAL colour database, so the plan is to bring a blue cover in good nick to them, and try to see if there is a RAL blue that matches well enough. If not I will find a place, a body shop or something, that can stick a spectrometer to the cabinet and tell me what's what...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104588 on: October 13, 2021, 08:49:50 pm »

:-DD
I'm of 2 minds which you deserve more when I'm leaning to Jammy Git for getting it bang on first one up however Vince was offering Choc chips so maybe we need a gift cookie in the OP for times such as these.

Anyone got a nice one to get bitseeker to add into the OP ?
No apple pies allowed !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104589 on: October 13, 2021, 08:54:14 pm »
Ah thanks.... I always wondered how you proceeded to paint your cabinets.... so it's a simple spray can ?! Well, if the finish is good, I guess why not !
Like many things of interest here Gloss Bahama Sea is listed in the OP POI list:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2427477/#msg2427477
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104590 on: October 13, 2021, 08:54:20 pm »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #104591 on: October 13, 2021, 08:55:39 pm »
??

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104592 on: October 13, 2021, 08:57:36 pm »
oh woe is me, the coinorhaging festo fever has taken hold of me.
Just spent 150 Pesos on a dust sucker hose ...

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, cyclin_al

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104593 on: October 13, 2021, 08:59:44 pm »
??
All I can tell is the Japanese "Green Tea" KitKat is darn delicious...

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104594 on: October 13, 2021, 09:01:04 pm »

Wow that's dear !

I love woodworking but I will never be able to afford Festool stuff ! Maybe one machine, just one... bought second hand probably. But no way I could buy every power tool from Festool !   :scared:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104595 on: October 13, 2021, 09:01:33 pm »
Simple guide when purchasing new TE  :-DD Show you wife if you must  :-//

Don't need the guide. No wife and I'm retired. Do as I damn well please. And if I want to spend the children's inheritance then oh well.  :P :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104596 on: October 13, 2021, 09:03:02 pm »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104597 on: October 13, 2021, 09:05:12 pm »
??
All I can tell is the Japanese "Green Tea" KitKat is darn delicious...

Actually that was the Wasabi kitkat

https://youtu.be/-UgFt7k8-cw

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #104598 on: October 13, 2021, 09:09:52 pm »

Yike! You're hooked on the black, grey, and green crack!  Good stuff!  I *WANT* a Domino, but have so far managed to resist.  I also need to build bookshelves and kitchen cabinets, so I suspect that this resistance will not last forever.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #104599 on: October 13, 2021, 09:11:49 pm »

Wow that's dear !

I love woodworking but I will never be able to afford Festool stuff ! Maybe one machine, just one... bought second hand probably. But no way I could buy every power tool from Festool !   :scared:

Then probably best not to buy ANY of them.  I started with the track saw about ten years ago.   :palm:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf