Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17500551 times)

ch_scr, Ice-Tea, powerflux and 89 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #101925 on: September 15, 2021, 07:51:19 pm »
Ah, well, if you'd actually posted a picture of a 4077 instead of just imagining one, I would have realised...
Better: ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=81471.msg3690430#msg3690430

Nope, no image visible here. I guess there's a problem with the forum displaying them again.
Added another just for you as your PC seems to be broken.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #101926 on: September 15, 2021, 08:00:38 pm »
Ah, well, if you'd actually posted a picture of a 4077 instead of just imagining one, I would have realised...

Nope, no image visible here. I guess there's a problem with the forum displaying them again.

I see the one you added now. Does anyone else see/not see the first image?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #101927 on: September 15, 2021, 08:01:13 pm »

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #101928 on: September 15, 2021, 08:10:25 pm »
   This is what I accomplished this morning.    :P

Shed emptied, then moved a few feet. Proof of concept; I wanted to be sure I actually could move it this way. Wasn't too bad actually, even doing it all by myself. :-+

mnem
*moving dwagons*

This and a hired rollback truck (demonstration above not to scale  ;)) are what I've contrived so far...

The eye plates are rated for 500lbs ea, and that's before I drilled them each for 8mm bolts/nuts through the 2x4 base. The shed weighs at most 400lbs.

Mostly what I'm concerned aboot is the operator drawing the winch too tight and pulling the wooden base apart; hopefully I'm just being paranoid. That vid reminds me that I will need to place the rearmost plates to coincide with the length of the J-hooks, tho. Hmmmmm...

We'll find out tomorrow afternoon, I guess... :o

mnem
...and the whole thing blowing off the base at highway speed... damn. better add more screws and washers through the shed frame into the base to my list... :scared:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 08:12:38 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101929 on: September 15, 2021, 08:16:45 pm »

mnem
...and the whole thing blowing off the base at highway speed... damn. better add more screws and washers through the shed frame into the base to my list... :scared:
:-//
Ratchet straps.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101930 on: September 15, 2021, 08:26:35 pm »
Now THIS is a scope for minimalists:   

https://www.ebay.de/itm/185046543160
That’s “interesting”  :o
It's actually kinda cool.  :-+
I think so too, that's why I bid on it

I tried... but seller doesn't like dwagons in da Great White Norff, evidently.  :-[

Now that I see it again, that dark spot in the middle of the CRT looks suspiciously similar to one in a EICO scope I had forever ago... it'd had the evacuation nipple cracked off and the inrush of air displaced the phosphor on the screen such that it looked like that.

If it sells for a sane price, obvi not a deal-breaker... but something to be wary of.  :-//

mnem
 :-BROKE
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #101931 on: September 15, 2021, 08:26:46 pm »
Ratchet straps.  ;)
Around the entire thing. Roofs and walls have a tendency to dislodge if not held down.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101932 on: September 15, 2021, 08:31:49 pm »
Many years ago in the early days of ebay I bought some TE from a fairly local (Dorset) seller so went to pick it up/ They were at Winfrith and only when I got there did I realise they were inside the outer cordon of the nuclear site. Unfortunatly I had an old aircraft instrument in the car and I could see the radiation detectors on on the exit lane of the security gate.  :scared: THat would have been some explaining to do as the instrument was Radium luminised and pretty "hot".
I parked in the far corner of the car park and called the seller saying I'd forgotton my ID and could they bring the item out to me..... :phew:

Another time an alert Avis counter agent in the USA noticed that the photos on my passport and driving licence were identical dispite being dated 2 years apart. He thought they were fake. Fortunaly Gurgle to the rescue and they found the UK GOV website saying that you could use your electronically stored passport photo for your driving licence renewal.

At a photo laboratory meeting we inspected a thoriated Kodak lens (formerly part of an air camera) to find that it fogs photo paper in about 1-2 days. I had an old russian geiger counter that clearly stated radiation from the lens.
A friend of a friend had some trouble when he visited an experimental nuclear reactor site. The radiation alert got off when they tried to leave. Same cause: thoriated lens on his vintage camera. It took quite a long time to convince them that the radiation was not picked up inside...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101933 on: September 15, 2021, 08:34:09 pm »

mnem
:-//   Ratchet straps.  ;)

Yeahhhhhh... these things are made of such thin sheetmetal... it takes nothing to kink the panels. You literally don't dare lean on it.  :scared:  While yes, I do plan to run a couple over the top for safety (as in other people's safety), I'm definitely leery of tightening them enough that I'd count on them to hold jack shit in place. Maybe if I hook both my cargo nets together and pull them over the roof...

mnem
*adds some more items to the list*

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101934 on: September 15, 2021, 08:37:37 pm »

I saw them all.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101935 on: September 15, 2021, 08:41:21 pm »
Works for me. Might be referrer blocking or cross site image loading disabled on the client browser.

Guess who had a 14 hour working day today trying to unfuck something similar  :scared:

Whole www is made of shit, straw and urine. The fact we built society on it and have such reverence for it is a testament to our low standards and inevitable demise as a species.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, BU508A, mnementh, scl, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101936 on: September 15, 2021, 08:44:47 pm »

mnem
it's safer this way. for everyone.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:59:06 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101937 on: September 15, 2021, 08:48:40 pm »
Works for me. Might be referrer blocking or cross site image loading disabled on the client browser.

Guess who had a 14 hour working day today trying to unfuck something similar  :scared:

Whole www is made of shit, straw and urine. The fact we built society on it and have such reverence for it is a testament to our low standards and inevitable demise as a species.

Hey now... Dave's internet is at least 11% dingoes' kidneys. That has to be an improvement. :-DD

mnem
*airlifts bd a case of Tito's and polynesian cabana girls with coconut oil*

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101938 on: September 15, 2021, 08:49:20 pm »

No, I can't see the first image because the other end tries to be 'clever' with javascript.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101939 on: September 15, 2021, 08:52:05 pm »

mnem

Yeahhhhhh... these things are made of such thin sheetmetal... it takes nothing to kink the panels. You literally don't dare lean on it.  :scared:  While yes, I do plan to run a couple over the top for safety (as in other people's safety), I'm definitely leery of tightening them enough that I'd count on them to hold jack shit in place. Maybe if I hook both my cargo nets together and pull them over the roof...

mnem
Them will just be more battle scars that we all should display proudly.

I'm sure you have some...and no we don't want to see them.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101940 on: September 15, 2021, 08:56:14 pm »

If load the image URL in a browser window you get one of those "checking your browser" bits of crappy DDOS protection javascript. Clearly it breaks easily.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101941 on: September 15, 2021, 09:01:14 pm »
P# just because.  :P

There... FTFY.

This, and a dozen other reasons... are why I still bother to put images here instead of hotlinking. It's a PITA, but still less of a PITA than the other options.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:03:53 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101942 on: September 15, 2021, 09:09:17 pm »
I ordered along with my BNC sockets from RS a No Clean Flux dispensing pen from Chemtronics and a spray can of RS Pro PCB Cleaning Solvent and the former comes with no less than 14 A4 pages of information detailing its warnings about its hazards and the PCB cleaning spray has 25 pages. :wtf: I just want a simple no fuss solution.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101943 on: September 15, 2021, 09:10:39 pm »

mnem

mnem
Them will just be more battle scars that we all should display proudly.

I'm sure you have some...and no we don't want to see them.  :P

Kinks in the roof are a real problem up here; they seriously harm the snow load capacity of such a structure. And yes, the roof is similarly thin sheetmetal.

Dunno if that's a problem where you are, but it is something we think aboot here all the time. :-//

mnem
*toddles off to find a toadstool*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101944 on: September 15, 2021, 09:16:09 pm »

If load the image URL in a browser window you get one of those "checking your browser" bits of crappy DDOS protection javascript. Clearly it breaks easily.

Ahha that would explain it.

Cowards hide behind such things.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101945 on: September 15, 2021, 09:25:10 pm »
Cowards...? Or maybe people who know that you and Cerebus are out there.  >:D

mnem
always... waiting... watching...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101946 on: September 15, 2021, 09:33:44 pm »
Oh I’m the sort of bastard who they should be scared of. Recently someone sent me a UPS package scam link by SMS. I contacted the one man shit box colo based in Iceland hosting it and they told me they only respond to local legal jurisdiction letters and to go away.

So they ended up getting “the wrath of having fuck loads of cheap VPS hosting credits” unleashed at them. I burned 13TB of my bandwidth quota before it melted the other end  :popcorn:. 20 nodes running “ab” 500 threads per node on their 1MB JavaScript hairball.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:36:34 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101947 on: September 15, 2021, 09:37:20 pm »
*looks over at his cheap-ass TP-Link WiFi router, and quietly engages his VPN service*

mnem
one more layer... it's not much, but it's all I got.   :-//
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:42:03 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101948 on: September 15, 2021, 10:03:58 pm »

Oh joy. Looks like the random [.img]-eating singularity is back. |O

mnem
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:05:53 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101949 on: September 15, 2021, 10:08:25 pm »
@BD139

Just noticed that PCBWay are now offering transparent solder mask, and if I remember correctly you were looking for the same.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf