Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16935260 times)

Vgkid, shakalnokturn and 107 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #99725 on: August 31, 2021, 01:46:38 pm »
I guess I'm the weird nerd in the herd then...
Hey!  We're all weird here!... but I must admit, you do wear "weird" better than most.

As grand-momma usedta say... "Play to yer strengths, kid."    >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99726 on: August 31, 2021, 01:49:19 pm »
So I tried making a LIF disk for the 1653B on a laptop running WIN98 in DOS mode and failed. I discovered the "Internal" disk drive was infact dockable with some kind of serial interface, possibly USB. So I dug out my trusty old Luggable (ex Telecoms tester of some sort with the custom interface cards remove and CF disk fitted for quick change OS). This has a "real" parallel FDD interface. Put an old PC World cover disk into it, ran LIFUTIL and it initalised and copied the files OK. Stuck the disk in the 1653B and now have a working LA/Scope. I think I may have some suitable pods in the storage unit, will have to look through my records and check the right bin.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99727 on: August 31, 2021, 01:55:19 pm »
Is there any chance of being able to use one of the old CF-to-FDD adapters from back in the Athlon days to get that LIF/OS onto something solid-state...? Or is it just more assache than it would be worth given the likely frequency of use in your lab?

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99728 on: August 31, 2021, 03:42:00 pm »
Is there any chance of being able to use one of the old CF-to-FDD adapters from back in the Athlon days to get that LIF/OS onto something solid-state...? Or is it just more assache than it would be worth given the likely frequency of use in your lab?

mnem
 :-/O

People have used the FDD to USB stick adaptors with varying degress of sucess. The drive is non-standard.It is 600RPM and power supplied by the ribbon cable.
I'm not bothered enough about it to change it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99729 on: August 31, 2021, 04:31:38 pm »
   This is what I accomplished this morning.    :P

Shed emptied, then moved a few feet. Proof of concept; I wanted to be sure I actually could move it this way. Wasn't too bad actually, even doing it all by myself. :-+

mnem
*moving dwagons*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99730 on: August 31, 2021, 04:39:48 pm »
Shed emptied, then moved a few feet. Proof of concept; I wanted to be sure I actually could move it this way. Wasn't too bad actually, even doing it all by myself. :-+

I'm not sure that this is the wisest form of hypothesis testing, given the inequality of outcomes:

• Hypothesis is true
  • (In emergency room clutching back with one hand, hernia with the other) Hypothesis is not true
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99731 on: August 31, 2021, 04:44:27 pm »
Oh fu**... I just realized it's after lunch and I forgot to take the bags out of my iced tea when I got up this morning. That is not gonna be strong tea; it's gonna be surly.  :-DD

mnem
*thwap-thwap... thwap-thwap-thwap...* "Finish eatin' and get back to work, ya fat bastahd...!" :o

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99732 on: August 31, 2021, 04:51:46 pm »

I'm not sure that this is the wisest form of hypothesis testing, given the inequality of outcomes:

• Hypothesis is true
  • (In emergency room clutching back with one hand, hernia with the other) Hypothesis is not true

You're probably right... fortunately the hand-truck really did all the work. All I had to do was lean on it; and if there's one thing I have, it's plenty of weight to throw around.  :-DD

mnem
"Lee-ver-age, Mister Gibbs!"  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #99733 on: August 31, 2021, 04:56:54 pm »
bought 2 Procurve 24 Port Gigabit switches with 4 SFP-Ports each for 50 Pesos.
The idea is to throw 2 fibre lines between the observatory (not the Winter Garden one, the one with the 2 telescopes) and the control room (30 m away).

I was thinking of using multimode cable buried in a cable tube without any additional special precautions, as this is to be an inexpensive solution to cover a maximum of 50 m ...
Any technical objections ?

(I know, why not also bury a cat 8 cable with it ... ... this is indeed planned ...)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99734 on: August 31, 2021, 04:58:43 pm »
The observating woman has us. Run away, run away!!!

mnem
 :scared:

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #99735 on: August 31, 2021, 05:11:34 pm »
this is just for tracking my rockets .... I don't know what you are afraid of.

Anybody got a GPS that is good for > mach 5 ?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #99736 on: August 31, 2021, 05:15:33 pm »
These definitely come under the heading of "HFM?"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265292805633

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265292805781

Although, they are in very good condition. And also, the seller had thoughtfully put the relevant accessories in the next listing down:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265292812054
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99737 on: August 31, 2021, 05:18:24 pm »
bought 2 Procurve 24 Port Gigabit switches with 4 SFP-Ports each for 50 Pesos.
The idea is to throw 2 fibre lines between the observatory (not the Winter Garden one, the one with the 2 telescopes) and the control room (30 m away).

I was thinking of using multimode cable buried in a cable tube without any additional special precautions, as this is to be an inexpensive solution to cover a maximum of 50 m ...

(I know, why not also bury a cat 8 cable with it ... ... this is indeed planned ...)

No, no problem. Just make sure that the tube is secure from moisture ingress - suitable glands/packing at both ends and bring the internal ends much further up the wall than you think you need to - minimum of 1m. If you don't include anything that can carry current then you are almost 100% sure to avoid any regulatory hassles, if you're going to allow yourself to be fussed by such things. Do use fibre that has a plenum rated sheath - LSZH or the like. Add fire blocks to both ends if you can - buried conduit is low risk, but putting a fire barrier in anything that breaches walls that might otherwise be fire breaks is always a good idea.

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #99738 on: August 31, 2021, 05:25:28 pm »
Looked around and found the suicide cord, so I decided to quickly apply power to the 120B.
-Pat

Oh no you beat me to it !

I too got an HP 120B recently, meant to start restoring it pretty soon, was very excited to post about it, but too late you came first !  :-DD

That doesn't mean we don't want to see yours, too!  Post pics when you start working on it!

Mine is Gemra made,  G245-00364.  So S/N much older than yours, or is the S/N specific to each and every manufacturing plant ?! That's something I have never been able to determine for my old Tek scopes.

That's a serial number format I've never seen (used to XXXXYZZZZZ, with XXX or XXXX being year (first one or two digits add to 1960 for year) and week (last two) of the engineering rev, Y being the country of origin (A for US, G for Germany, J for Japan, U for UK, etc.) and ZZZZZ a sequential serial number associated with the letter revision of the instrument, beginning with 00100.

Based on what I see in your serial number, I'd guess that Germany was using a slightly different format way back then, and conclude that yours is the engineering rev from the 45th week of 1962, and the 264th one built. 

Anyway yours look beautiful with this blue CRT !

That was the main thing that prompted me to buy it - not a whole lot of use for a 450 kHz bandwidth single trace scope, and I'd bet the P11 phosphor is really rare in this model.

I immediately notice that the caps look of a newer/ better type, so your unit might quite recent.
I mean I am looking at the two side byt side axial caps at the back of the trigger switch assembly, the type that always fails I gather... on mine they are completely rotten, but yours look brand new.
Other clue : the shield on your CRT looks new, the pain I mean... mine is badly flaking off !  :scared:

Yes, the ones on my scope look MUCH better than those on yours.  That said, I've seen caps similar to those on your scope on older HP gear, and they are usually dried out and dead.  I looked at a few date codes in mine just now, and the few I can find indicate that it's probably an early 1966 unit, so at least a few years younger than yours.  Got a few more pics; will post them later after I get them uploaded.

I don't even know if mine will power up... it's missing half its tubes !  :-\
.. so no idea about phosphor colour, hey maybe I will get lucky and have  a blue one like you ! No, not likely !

Anyway, looking forward to your restoration, and can't wait to start mine. Before I do anything with it, would like to buy a Variac as I can't afford to blow it.. have many Tek spares but only this one and only HP scope, zero parts handy to fix it if I screw up !  :scared:

Most likely yours will be the 'default' P31 green phosphor, but there's always a chance.  A variac is definitely a good thing to have for bringing things like this up; even better if you can put an ammeter in line with it to monitor current draw.  I got the Sencore PR570 a few years ago after seeing it on Shahriar's channel and it's great for bringing things up and monitoring.  For things that draw more than it can supply, I rig one of my DMMs in series for initial power up to watch the draw.  Look forward to seeing your progress on yours as well.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, factory

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #99739 on: August 31, 2021, 05:35:37 pm »
Building your own fighter-bomber? scottrade12 has what you need. Amongst a plethora of Tornado parts recently listed is this little gem:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224592256625

It even has the legends removed so you can legitimately claim "I was just trying to skip to my favourite CD track" when you vapourise that bastard who just nicked your parking spot.

This seems cheap, Robert?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324771999708
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99740 on: August 31, 2021, 05:42:22 pm »
The SIFF CDU has bugger all inside it. I wouldn’t bother.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #99741 on: August 31, 2021, 05:48:42 pm »

Mine is Gemra made,  G245-00364.  So S/N much older than yours, or is the S/N specific to each and every manufacturing plant ?! That's something I have never been able to determine for my old Tek scopes.

That's a serial number format I've never seen (used to XXXXYZZZZZ, with XXX or XXXX being year (first one or two digits add to 1960 for year) and week (last two) of the engineering rev, Y being the country of origin (A for US, G for Germany, J for Japan, U for UK, etc.) and ZZZZZ a sequential serial number associated with the letter revision of the instrument, beginning with 00100.

Based on what I see in your serial number, I'd guess that Germany was using a slightly different format way back then, and conclude that yours is the engineering rev from the 45th week of 1962, and the 264th one built. 

....aaaaand...  I'm a dope.  (not that that's news to anyone here...)  Just looked at the picture I posted this morning of the HP 120B's serial number plate, and it's YWW-NNNNN, with no country of origin letter.  I guess they went to the embedded letter for the country of manufacture in place of the dash some time later, in which case your GYWW-NNNNN makes perfect sense for the early serial number.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99742 on: August 31, 2021, 05:52:48 pm »

[/color][/size][/b]

Hmmm, nice looking bit of kit for dirt cheap, I am tempted ! Could hack it into a combined clock & egg timer for the kitchen...    ::)

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #99743 on: August 31, 2021, 05:54:06 pm »
I bought a Keithley 197A off of Craigslist. ... Green backlight is pretty dim.

I'm having th same prob with another DMM from the same era. Lighting is by a PCB with dozens of microscopic SMD-LEDs, all of them covered in blobs of some transparent glue that has obviously hardened/shrinked and cracked most of those LEDs.

Ralf

Sorted.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al, syau, Neper

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99744 on: August 31, 2021, 06:07:24 pm »
I bought a Keithley 197A off of Craigslist. ... Green backlight is pretty dim.

I'm having th same prob with another DMM from the same era. Lighting is by a PCB with dozens of microscopic SMD-LEDs, all of them covered in blobs of some transparent glue that has obviously hardened/shrinked and cracked most of those LEDs.

Ralf

Sorted.

I can beat that:

Shot through the little lightbox I made last night to light PCBs for photography. Just under 11 watts DC input.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99745 on: August 31, 2021, 06:18:05 pm »
Even easier here. I don’t live in a dingy shit hole  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, duckduck

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #99746 on: August 31, 2021, 06:23:59 pm »

None. Don't overpay for your SFP transceivers.

https://www.fs.com/c/sfp-transceivers-57

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99747 on: August 31, 2021, 06:41:52 pm »
Building your own fighter-bomber? scottrade12 has what you need. Amongst a plethora of Tornado parts recently listed is this little gem:

Yes fairly low cost. Not a lot of practical use. Mode 4 and SIFF are obsolete now. He has complete panel mount transponders cheap too if that's your thing.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99748 on: August 31, 2021, 07:11:26 pm »
Even easier here. I don’t live in a dingy shit hole  :popcorn:

Oh, finally moved have we?  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, duckduck

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99749 on: August 31, 2021, 07:14:44 pm »
Sore point that  :-DD. No bought lights  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, duckduck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf