Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16942909 times)

dxl, aeug and 148 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #99525 on: August 29, 2021, 06:32:54 pm »
Whenever the thought of Irish redheads come to mind I always think of Maureen O'Hara. Even as a kid she made me feel tingly.  >:D

I saw Angela Scanlon on the telly the other night and I have to admit to salivating a little, wolf like.

Here you go FTFY

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99526 on: August 29, 2021, 06:36:30 pm »
...and I won't even start on how we say no, it's usually a whole explanation of why the answer is no.

McBryce.

"Well, that's an interesting argument you pose there and ... [three pages later] ... but I ultimately find myself minded to not come to the way of thinking where I'd agree with you".

I have speculated that it evolved as a way of dealing with aggressive Englishmen with short attention spans: "Oi Paddy, you asking to get your head kicked in?" "Well ..." - By the time they get an answer they've lost the will to live.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #99527 on: August 29, 2021, 06:39:09 pm »
Whenever the thought of Irish redheads come to mind I always think of Maureen O'Hara. Even as a kid she made me feel tingly.  >:D

I saw Angela Scanlon on the telly the other night and I have to admit to salivating a little, wolf like.

Here you go FTFY

:wtf: :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #99528 on: August 29, 2021, 06:42:54 pm »
We rented a Catherham 7 SV in a Scotland.  It was amazing.  I've never driven anything like it.  I had a Miata and it just doesn't compare.
You are VERY close to the ground.

If you like that, try gliding. You are at about the same height, go on high alert if acceleration is less than 0-55 in 5s, and return to the ground at ~55. Plus you have much better views :)

The 55 plus being close to the ground caused problems for my daughter when she started to learn to drive. I had to warn instructors that her sense of speed was based on being close to the ground and being "told off" if she was unintentionally flying <45 :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99529 on: August 29, 2021, 07:16:40 pm »

Here you go FTFY

:wtf: :-DD
I'm willing to bet that the lady cop would love that program  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99530 on: August 29, 2021, 07:21:06 pm »
And I learned Danish by reading Donald Duck Anders And and watching TV. Literally. They call Goofy "Fedtmule".

Fixed that for you...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #99531 on: August 29, 2021, 07:25:39 pm »
back from Vienna after a strenuous 500+ mile drive.
managed to get all errands done and even got hold of the Terminator 2 pinball playfield (top quality licensed replica, new) and the Twilight Zone pinball ramp.

Hubby gave up 7 or his dearest for adoption, I sacrificed one of mine as I did not get an export permit from Austria in time :(

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #99532 on: August 29, 2021, 07:28:48 pm »
Price tag implies it's for a pack of 10 units though !  :o I assume you only need one ?!

That's the subtle difference between "10 Pieces" and "10 Piece". 10 Piece means you get 10 bits with it, not 10 rachets.

McBryce.

The French have always had a problem with plurals.  :)

English: Man, men.
German: Mann, Männer.
French: Homme, hommes.

In only one of those languages is one of those pairs of words pronounced the same, despite being written differently. You can't tell if the Frenchman is talking singular or plural unless you also get the define article as well: l'homme, les hommes (or "les hommes, eh" if it's Canadian French).

When I was initially learning French we were being taught to read, write and speak at the same time. I was constantly tripping up over the fact that the written plural was, for the most part, formed just like an English one but not pronounced.

If you think that's complicated, try Irish (Gaeilge):

English: Man, men.
German: Mann, Männer.
French: Homme, hommes.
Gaeilge: Fear, Fír

Woman/Women: Bean, Mná.

Which is really good for confusing the tourists, when F and M are on the toilet doors and the American tourists think it's "Male" and "Female", when in fact it's the other way around "Fír" and "Mná" :D

McBryce.

The bathrooms in Liechtenstein and Switzerland messed with me my first time over as they were labeled D and H, for Damen and Herren; I had to keep thinking the opposite of my first instinct as in English 'her' is a female pronoun.  Not quite as confusing as the Emerald Isle, but I was very glad I asked rather than guessing.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #99533 on: August 29, 2021, 07:45:19 pm »
apparently Germany is the only country with more than 250 gender studies professors and only 2 universities that still teach high energy physics ...
 :palm:

decadence ...

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #99534 on: August 29, 2021, 07:48:24 pm »
My family laugh at me because I frequently come back yet another tool, be it a set of driver bits, sockets, cutters etc, because they say haven't you got enough already, but I often get the last laugh when they bring something to fix when I say, you remember when I brought that xyz thing you laughed at me getting? Well I just used to fix this for you, without that tool I couldn't have done it. That silences them for a bit then.  >:D

Yup. This has been the story of my life. When I was 8, I took apart every alarm clock in the house, working or not. When I was 10, I put them all back together again. And they all worked. :-DD

mnem
Scared the f*** out of grandmomma too... she spent a week swearing I'd been possessed. Until I fixed her stove... then I was allright.  :-DD
And in the meantime, everyone was always late for everything  :-DD :-DD :-DD

You might think. But growing up on the farm... well... dawn, high noon & dusk are pretty much all the time of day you really need to know. ;)

mnem
On the farm, you don't get up and go to work. You wake up and you're surrounded by it." ~me
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 08:08:32 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #99535 on: August 29, 2021, 07:48:54 pm »
We rented a Catherham 7 SV in a Scotland.  It was amazing.  I've never driven anything like it.  I had a Miata and it just doesn't compare.
You are VERY close to the ground.

If you like that, try gliding. You are at about the same height, go on high alert if acceleration is less than 0-55 in 5s, and return to the ground at ~55. Plus you have much better views :)

The 55 plus being close to the ground caused problems for my daughter when she started to learn to drive. I had to warn instructors that her sense of speed was based on being close to the ground and being "told off" if she was unintentionally flying <45 :)

I've never done a winch launch (over here it's almost exclusively aero tow), but it looks like a real rush.  You climb out at what, about 40* or so?  I miss soaring.

How do they control the falling line so the winch doesn't wind up birds-nesting?  Any sort of drag chute or the like to slow the fall that deploys from the end when it releases?  8000' feet of cable - holy crap that's a long 'rope'!!

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #99536 on: August 29, 2021, 07:49:28 pm »
apparently Germany is the only country with more than 250 gender studies professors and only 2 universities that still teach high energy physics ...

decadence ...

Modern priorities!!!   |O

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #99537 on: August 29, 2021, 07:55:06 pm »
Here you go FTFY

"...it doesn't taste like milk..."   :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

And yes, she's welcome to take my soul.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99538 on: August 29, 2021, 07:58:39 pm »

decadence ...

Modern priorities!!!   |O

-Pat

At least they're out of public circulation there.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99539 on: August 29, 2021, 08:01:29 pm »
Whats happened on the computing front, it wasn't all that long ago that I recall folk were looking for the kick arse AMD Ryzen CPU's towards the top end of the family, coupled with the fastest RAM modules and one of the very best graphics cards, top end MB's and either the very quietest fans for cooling and/or plenty of bling in the cases and internal lighting, oh yes and the meanest of power supplies. Now it seems that people are happy with ex corporation laptops that more than likely have been baked, running for hours on end, maybe left in cars even where the temperature could rival those found in saunas, and or possibly been clogged up insides with fluff and dust etc due to idiots using them on their laps, or even beds etc, without providing them with a hard flat surface to ensure adequate flow of cooling air both internally and also of course around the outside and beneath to wick away the heat build up  :wtf: :o :o :o

My laptops are both new, in warranty and are both Ryzens with 24Gb of RAM, Radeon graphics and 1TiB SSDs and they plug into my dock and instantly turn into a desktop with nice 4K monitor keyboard and mouse  :popcorn:

Needed my desktop specifically for games, F360 and running virtualisation workloads. Prior to that I was using a solitary i5 T470. Demand for games and F360 has now declined and I do my compute remotely for perhaps £50 a year total for which it’s not worth spending on hardware for. My use case changed basically.

As for the old stuff at 3 years it’s probably less likely to drop dead than new ones from experience. There’s a very high early failure rate of laptops and desktops in <1 year.

Same here. My VR rig is literally the least expensive machine I could build with adequate power to get 90FPS in my Odyssey2 VR goggles. And because it was so expensive, I had to do it in pieces.

While I originally felt a bit the fool for spending the money on my liquid-cooled 2080Super GPU, it has allowed me to sidestep the whole RTX30x0 clusterfuck entirely for 2 years. I think I've actually gotten good value for my money considering, especially since I can easily hold out til there's ex-crypto 30x0s flooding the market, just like I bought my XxX Edition OC'd RX580.

Also... I said for the fam... they don't need any more than a Lenovo corporate box. Neither do I most of the time, aside from playing on my VR rig.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 08:07:57 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99540 on: August 29, 2021, 08:06:15 pm »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #99541 on: August 29, 2021, 08:08:22 pm »
And I learned Danish by reading Donald Duck Anders And and watching TV. Literally. They call Goofy "Fedtmule".

Fixed that for you...

Yeah, I know that, and you know that, but the poor people who've only read it in the original Italian (many contemporary Disney comics for the European market are drawn in Italy) will not know this, so I had to use the common name.

Fætter Højben, hvorfor er du altid så heldig?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #99542 on: August 29, 2021, 08:15:20 pm »

decadence ...

Google lets me count to at least 4 universities that have high energy physics courses within Germany;

Bielefeld,
München,
Leibnitz Universität Hannover,
Humboldt zu Berlin,
Siegen,
Goethe-Universität, Physik Frankfurt,
et al.

If you're going to peddle "the weakness of the current curriculum" or WTH you're up to, do your homework.

HTH, HAND.

/decadently,

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster, factory

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99544 on: August 29, 2021, 08:25:41 pm »
...dedicated 2GB of video RAM

mnem
 >:D
Yeah I know its not that much in the grand scheme of GPU cards, but it more than likely beats laptops  :P
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99545 on: August 29, 2021, 08:31:07 pm »

Now finally Chapman has decided to offer Torx bits. Took them long enough. Two years ago they did not.

That's curious because I've had that set in excess of 4 years.  :-//
Ok, you got me there. I am not absolutely sure when I looked it up AND it might be that they did not update their webpage at that time. But it was less than 4 years and I specifically wondered if they are ever going to introduce them. I looked them up because there was a set on offer and I wondered if I should get it - having been interested in them at a much earlier time.

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99546 on: August 29, 2021, 08:39:36 pm »
Cubdriver: Yes, there is a small drogue chute inline with the cable about 10 feet down from the attach point of the glider. So long as the glider is attached, the chute is pulled closed.

It’s relatively quick and easy to add a winch endorsement to a glider aero tow rating. Philadelphia Glider Council had an old big block Buick home built years ago, it was good experience but I still prefer aero tow.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99547 on: August 29, 2021, 08:43:26 pm »

mnem
Yeah I know its not that much in the grand scheme of GPU cards, but it more than likely beats laptops  :P

My work laptop has a RTX 2060 with 6Gb of RAM in it  :popcorn:

Not entirely sure why!

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #99548 on: August 29, 2021, 08:51:54 pm »
Cubdriver: Yes, there is a small drogue chute inline with the cable about 10 feet down from the attach point of the glider. So long as the glider is attached, the chute is pulled closed.

It’s relatively quick and easy to add a winch endorsement to a glider aero tow rating. Philadelphia Glider Council had an old big block Buick home built years ago, it was good experience but I still prefer aero tow.

Ahh, yes - the little flag-looking thing visible about 20' in front of the glider as they take up the slack in the cable.  Initially I thought it was just a flag to make the cable end more visible, but now on closer observation I see it's a chute.  Thanks for the clarification.

-Pat

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99549 on: August 29, 2021, 08:53:45 pm »

mnem

My work laptop has a RTX 2060 with 6Gb of RAM in it  :popcorn:

Not entirely sure why!
My HP Elite workbook (supposed to be a desktop replacement) only has 4GB of memory for everything and even with an i7 processor is slow as fuck.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf