Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16939585 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98825 on: August 24, 2021, 09:50:09 am »
Just like scopes and probes  :scared:

And power dividers, and RF cables & adapters, and terminators, and standards, and crimpers, and soldering/desoldering equipment, and, and...   :o  These rabbit holes have express elevators!

Yeah :(

Just bought a metcal iron.

Welcome to club metcal. You will never leave  8)

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98826 on: August 24, 2021, 09:51:11 am »
:-//
Drop...do you mean the feed wire liner ?
Often older types were just like a Bowden outer, just twisted wire and they clean up just fine with kerosene.

No, the AC Mains drop to my old TIG machine - a Miller Synchrowave 180 SD I got back in the late 90s - it needs a 60 A, 240 V feed - disconnected it nearly ten years ago ( :wtf: - where does time go  :-//  :wtf:) when the house renovation started and the garage roof went away, and haven't yet rewired it.   :palm:

-Pat
Ah OK, you Yanks any your terminology.  ::)

If you think your MIG is old you don't wanna see my much older Danish Migatronic AutoMIG 180 that I scored for $100NZ which needed a 10c transistor to fix it.
Thinking it's probably '80's vintage. Pic from net.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 09:54:02 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98827 on: August 24, 2021, 09:58:29 am »

And power dividers, and RF cables & adapters, and terminators, and standards, and crimpers, and soldering/desoldering equipment, and, and...   :o  These rabbit holes have express elevators!

For £45 from a buyer that is shutting down their RF amp production, it was worth a punt. I imagine I'll have to buy different tips.

Same seller has HP RF power meters including sensors and other RF goodies, but you'll have to be fast... https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/acturus01/m.html
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #98828 on: August 24, 2021, 10:01:29 am »
Often older types were just like a Bowden outer, just twisted wire and they clean up just fine with kerosene.

No, the AC Mains drop to my old TIG machine - a Miller Synchrowave 180 SD I got back in the late 90s - it needs a 60 A, 240 V feed - disconnected it nearly ten years ago ( :wtf: - where does time go  :-//  :wtf:) when the house renovation started and the garage roof went away, and haven't yet rewired it.   :palm:

-Pat

If you think your MIG is old you don't wanna see my much older Danish Migatronic AutoMIG 180 that I scored for $100NZ which needed a 10c transistor to fix it.
Thinking it's probably '80's vintage.

Looks like a fine old box of angry pixies!  At some point I’d like to get a bigger MIG machine - currently have only a small 135 A Lincoln portable (the one I bought to fix the exhaust).

Should probably buy a tungsten sharpener before reconnecting the Miller - I’ll be so rusty with TIGing that more time will probably be spent at the grinder sharpening contaminated electrodes than welding at first...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #98829 on: August 24, 2021, 10:05:06 am »

If you think your MIG is old you don't wanna see my much older Danish Migatronic AutoMIG 180

I've not seen your Migatronic, but I've seen the factory it was made in. I keep thinking I should get a small stick welder, but I'd like it to be a Kemppi. Or perhaps an Esab. Or Migatronic. Depends if you want to do Finnish, Swedish or Danish welding  :-DD :-DD

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #98830 on: August 24, 2021, 10:08:38 am »
If anyone needs manuals for their welders, I have an extensive library (ESAB, Lincoln, Cigweld, BOC, Kemppi, Miller, some of the Chinese crap, etc etc), and even possibly still access to the service tech portals of multiple manufacturers. Just hit me up and I'll see what I can get.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, beanflying

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98831 on: August 24, 2021, 10:36:24 am »
If anyone needs manuals for their welders, I have an extensive library (ESAB, Lincoln, Cigweld, BOC, Kemppi, Miller, some of the Chinese crap, etc etc), and even possibly still access to the service tech portals of multiple manufacturers. Just hit me up and I'll see what I can get.

Do you have access to service manuals from Advantest (ADMC), Anritsu, Yokogawa, Kikusui, Hioki?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #98832 on: August 24, 2021, 10:36:35 am »

-Pat

Thinking it's probably '80's vintage.

Looks like a fine old box of angry pixies!  At some point I’d like to get a bigger MIG machine - currently have only a small 135 A Lincoln portable (the one I bought to fix the exhaust).

Should probably buy a tungsten sharpener before reconnecting the Miller - I’ll be so rusty with TIGing that more time will probably be spent at the grinder sharpening contaminated electrodes than welding at first...

-Pat

Last tyime I did any TIG it was scratch start so I am looking forward to AC start  :-+ I still expect plenty of regrinding  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98833 on: August 24, 2021, 10:52:25 am »

For £45 from a buyer that is shutting down their RF amp production, it was worth a punt. I imagine I'll have to buy different tips.

Same seller has HP RF power meters including sensors and other RF goodies, but you'll have to be fast... https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/acturus01/m.html

Oh you got a bargain there. That’s same as my PS900 basically.

New tips show up on eBay for not much. AVGresponding posted some which I grabbed a while back. Monster sized ones. Made very short work of the caps on that Tek 475.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98834 on: August 24, 2021, 11:17:10 am »

Oh you got a bargain there. That’s same as my PS900 basically.

New tips show up on eBay for not much. AVGresponding posted some which I grabbed a while back. Monster sized ones. Made very short work of the caps on that Tek 475.

I hope so, and could probably flip it anyway.

I browsed by to check on the price of the power meters, did my usual "what else is there", saw that 4 had gone only one was left. Thought for 30s, decided I wanted to see what all the "metcal fuss" was about, and pulled the trigger without doing any research.

Big tips for ground planes was my thought, but I may resurrect some other 4x5 scopes sometime.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:19:08 am by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98835 on: August 24, 2021, 12:08:59 pm »
Oh it’s a whole world of soldering goodness.

I’ve used Pace and Weller stuff professionally and all that T12 and 837 faff from amateur side and the Metcals are somewhere else entirely. It’s the only iron I’ve seen that can go from soldering nuts into bolts to 0805’s in five seconds without changing the tip  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zucca, mnementh

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #98836 on: August 24, 2021, 12:16:34 pm »

Do you have access to service manuals from Advantest (ADMC), Anritsu, Yokogawa, Kikusui, Hioki?

Not directly, mainly just welders from my time in the game. I can sent emails in Japanese to the Japanese manufacturers though, which can sometimes yield better results than trying in English though.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #98837 on: August 24, 2021, 12:19:43 pm »

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, duckduck

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98838 on: August 24, 2021, 12:28:01 pm »

If anybody had a Keysight tattoo a few years ago, I wonder what they are thinking now :)

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #98840 on: August 24, 2021, 12:34:06 pm »
If anybody had a Keysight tattoo a few years ago, I wonder what they are thinking now :)

I am sooo pissed... this is more disturbing than a laptop without ETH port.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98841 on: August 24, 2021, 12:36:08 pm »

I think they were still in the queue getting their HP and Agilent tattoos lasered off.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98842 on: August 24, 2021, 12:39:39 pm »
https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-england-fan-has-already-got-euro-2020-winners-tattoo-before-final-agai-20210709

Ah yes the greater spotted retard. Normally found in the natural habitat of suburban small towns. Decorates their house with red and white flags, has a trampoline in a garden of yellow grass, cigarette ends and dog shit. Can be identified from a distance by two-thirds of a Ford Mondeo in the middle of the front lawn, two bikes and a smoking fat woman with a bad tan sitting on the door step.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zucca, Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #98843 on: August 24, 2021, 12:40:39 pm »
LMAO in the office right now, well done bd.
and continuing laughing... sooo true.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #98844 on: August 24, 2021, 12:43:16 pm »

I think they were still in the queue getting their HP and Agilent tattoos lasered off.

Tattoos are not my thing.  Crosses the "Always have an exit plan" mindset too much.

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98845 on: August 24, 2021, 12:51:12 pm »
Geez.... 6 pages in just 18 hours.  Keeping up with this thread is becoming a real challenge.

They wanna hit 100000 replies by mid of September...

Is there a prize for post #100,000? There ought to be.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98846 on: August 24, 2021, 12:52:21 pm »

I’ve used Pace and Weller stuff professionally and all that T12 and 837 faff from amateur side and the Metcals are somewhere else entirely. It’s the only iron I’ve seen that can go from soldering nuts into bolts to 0805’s in five seconds without changing the tip  :-DD
Just may be one day I'll get around to testing that for myself, but seriously, from my perspective, my experience of T12's is fantastic. Yes, I did have that duff controller that made my tip glow cherry red, but after that was replaced FOC, I have not had any problems. Perhaps if I was to leave the iron switched on all day, like it would be in a production mode, then I might, but as with all my gear, it just gets switched on when I need it and then if I'm not going to be using it again for a while, switch it off. With something like a 10-second wait until it's ready for use, that seems like a sensible way to use it and help to reduce my carbon footprint.  8)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98847 on: August 24, 2021, 12:53:54 pm »
Geez.... 6 pages in just 18 hours.  Keeping up with this thread is becoming a real challenge.

They wanna hit 100000 replies by mid of September...

Is there a prize for post #100,000? There ought to be.

Prize? I don't know.
But perhaps bitseeker should have the honor for posting #100000 since he started here all this madness.  :-DD  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bitseeker, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, tonyalbus, dl6lr

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98848 on: August 24, 2021, 12:55:52 pm »

Just may be one day I'll get around to testing that for myself, but seriously, from my perspective, my experience of T12's is fantastic. Yes, I did have that duff controller that made my tip glow cherry red, but after that was replaced FOC, I have not had any problems. Perhaps if I was to leave the iron switched on all day, like it would be in a production mode, then I might, but as with all my gear, it just gets switched on when I need it and then if I'm not going to be using it again for a while, switch it off. With something like a 10-second wait until it's ready for use, that seems like a sensible way to use it and help to reduce my carbon footprint.  8)

I hope, the switches are flipping in the correct directions.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98849 on: August 24, 2021, 12:56:14 pm »

Well fuck. The first day I used it, this mower managed to find a piece of steel rebar driven into the ground that I have missed with the other mower ever since I got here a year ago.

Now... does this mean I need to keep the other mower, cuz this one is jinxed and wants to stay dead...? :o

mnem
You got me again, Murphy...
Ah nice and if you know much about blade impacts there might be a couple of issues in front of you.
Very very likely the flywheel key is now shorn or at best partially but enough to put the timing out for it now not to run properly.
At worst you could also have a bent crank and somewhat harder to remedy unless you have access to a B&S crankshaft straightening jig.
Here's one similar to what we used some decades back:
https://www.amazon.com/Stens-751-032-Crankshaft-Straightener-crankshafts/dp/B008N3K542

Fingers X'ed for you.

One would hope that in a mechanism where this kind of impact is highly likely to happen, inevitable even, that someone has built in a sacrificial component, like a shear pin, that is designed to break under these circumstances and be easy to replace.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf