Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16944185 times)

Neepa, Vince and 112 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98225 on: August 19, 2021, 10:18:54 pm »
Ok, I fixed the broken TO-5 tranny leg. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I am a master of ghetto fab...

The two dead digits are confirmed deader than dead things, I'll buzz the trannys out but I suspect a case of terminal inside-the-potted-box-itis, which is to say the interface between the drivers and the nixies is that weird lamp box that has to do with the
Well this is strange, one of them is trying to light now... time to start buzzing out trannys and especially those carbon craposition resistors. Also "thou shalt check voltages"... hmmm...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98226 on: August 19, 2021, 10:24:50 pm »

Bad word in these parts: HR. They strike again hence my lack of spamming for most of today. Apparently they didn’t read the contract they drafted poorly, issued to me, I joyously signed for while laughing maniacally and that they are now bound by which they violated and I am now ensuring is enforced properly  :popcorn:. Be careful what you sign as they say  :-DD

In other words....you've got them by the balls, correct?

Good boy.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98227 on: August 19, 2021, 10:26:52 pm »
The 2nd scope cart is complete. Reveal tomorrow.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #98228 on: August 19, 2021, 10:27:13 pm »
Some of the dodgy measurements are definitely dirty switch contacts too. I think it's saveable.

Can't test the plug-in though, don't have an (N?) connector or a suitable signal source.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #98229 on: August 19, 2021, 10:38:34 pm »
Ok, I fixed the broken TO-5 tranny leg. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I am a master of ghetto fab...

The two dead digits are confirmed deader than dead things, I'll buzz the trannys out but I suspect a case of terminal inside-the-potted-box-itis, which is to say the interface between the drivers and the nixies is that weird lamp box that has to do with the
Well this is strange, one of them is trying to light now... time to start buzzing out trannys and especially those carbon craposition resistors. Also "thou shalt check voltages"... hmmm...

Sometimes old nixies that haven't been used in a long time can take some time to wake up.  It could also be an issue with the decoder/driver circuitry in the black box on the decade board.  Swap the 'dead' tubes to boards where they light to troubleshoot.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98230 on: August 19, 2021, 10:41:31 pm »

Bad word in these parts: HR. They strike again hence my lack of spamming for most of today. Apparently they didn’t read the contract they drafted poorly, issued to me, I joyously signed for while laughing maniacally and that they are now bound by which they violated and I am now ensuring is enforced properly  :popcorn:. Be careful what you sign as they say  :-DD

Yep that. Pay peanuts get HR monkeys.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98231 on: August 19, 2021, 10:43:58 pm »

Oooohh you tease. You can't leave us hanging like that.

Besides, I need cheering up :)

I will admit to editing a PDF document (w.r.t a reward for a patent application) to change "all efforts" to "all reasonable efforts", before printing and signing it. Later variants were locked PDF documents :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 10:48:18 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98232 on: August 19, 2021, 10:51:22 pm »
Gahh,
NLP AI conference.

mah head hurtz ...

Your head will soon be replaced by NLP AI. Pointy-haired bosses won't be able to tell its output is rubbish, and will resort to "because the computer says so".

Read comp.risks to see how such things appear to "work" for spurious "reasons", e.g. https://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/32/80/#subj4.1
e.g.   
  "Some AIs were found to be picking up on the *text font* that certain
  hospitals used to label the scans. As a result, fonts from hospitals with
  more serious caseloads became predictors of covid risk."

I was first aware of that in the early 80s, when Igor Alexander's WISARD correctly distinguished between cars and tanks in the lab, but failed dismally when taken to Luneberger Heath in north Germany. Eventually they worked out the training set was tanks under grey skys and car adverts under sunny skies.

Heh, heh. I remember that. More than that I knew Igor at the time. Happy bunny he was not when that happened. Jokes may have been made at his expense, people may have pretended not to recognise him on a sunny day (Brunel, where he was at the time was famously wet and grey). :) 

Igor's over-enthusiasm at what he could do with "black box" models, and the subsequent failures, was one of the reasons that, back when I was doing AI, I chose to work on the "knowledge engineering" and "automated inference" end of things. My personal understanding of how hard that was to do, and why we discounted neural nets as "the answer" is why I am a hyper-sceptic in the face of the current fashion for fools believing that "AI" will solve all our problems.

Accessible references would be welcome; I haven't found any.

Sorry, don't have a single thing. Igor did all the WISARD stuff while he was still at Brunel before he moved to Imperial. The library might be a good place to start (https://brunel.summon.serialssolutions.com/search?spellcheck=true&s.q=Aleksander%2C+Igor#!/search?ho=t&l=en-UK&q=Aleksander,%20Igor or talk to the librarians) or failing that the Computer Science department's Reader might be able to point you in the right direction - no idea who that is these days.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98233 on: August 19, 2021, 10:55:46 pm »
Better to ask for any cost-benefit analysis of ML research. I’m not going to use the term AI because that’s just a lie. It’s not artificial and it’s not intelligence.

Ah yes, the old conundrum: in a battle between artificial intelligence and natural stupidity, which will be triumphant?

When trying to get the point across, sometimes it is sufficient to amend a PERT chart to include a task "magic happens".
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98234 on: August 19, 2021, 10:58:36 pm »

Yes indeed. Sometimes shooting fish in a barrel is fun and profitable.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98235 on: August 19, 2021, 11:04:51 pm »

I will admit to editing a PDF document (w.r.t a reward for a patent application) to change "all efforts" to "all reasonable efforts", before printing and signing it. Later variants were locked PDF documents :)

Edit: I was going to explain this but decided it’s better for private messages
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 11:17:20 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98236 on: August 19, 2021, 11:12:57 pm »

The two dead digits are confirmed deader than dead things, I'll buzz the trannys out but I suspect a case of terminal inside-the-potted-box-itis, which is to say the interface between the drivers and the number readout bulb is that weird lamp box that has to do with the

The carbon resistors weren't that bad, I had to strip some of them from a later board (from Sphere) & repopulate it with salvaged parts (some slighty out of tolerance), to match the earlier parts list from the 20MHz 5243L, it worked fine after that.  :-+
It got posted here some time ago, the traces on the photo-resistor plate had been eaten by corrosion too.
The transistors got downgraded from Silicon to Germanium as well, as per the original damaged board.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3453170/#msg3453170

Re: the number readout bulbs, two in my 5248M were completely dead, due to the glass being cracked from pin corrosion (BD, the previous owner did what you said, cleaned it & dumped it back on ePay for me to buy) and the 5243L had one bulb that was missing a number 6, it was found to be no longer connected inside the bulb.

David

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #98237 on: August 19, 2021, 11:22:25 pm »
Wow...does this bring back memories. IBM SLT logic.

What Fran doesn't realize is that there was a follow on to SLT called MST (Monolithic System Technology) which used the same case style and footprint but rather than discrete transistor chips and resistors used integrated circuits. Most of S/370 mainframes used MST.

Huh... I didn't realize SLT architecture went that far back; I thought they were a 70s technology that was quickly obsoleted (but refused to actually die). Neat.

mnem
I learned something today. :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98238 on: August 19, 2021, 11:25:22 pm »
Nonetheless, the compliance issue is a sweet twist :)

If any idiot had tried to enforce one of the standby clauses at one job, I would have instantly resigned. For similar reasons, I have always refuse to have a company cellphone.

Actually could you remove that quote. I’ve sent the original message by PM. Shouldn’t really discuss technicalities in public  |O

As for standby clauses yes indeed. It came with the danger money though which is needed to shorten the time between now and sticking a middle finger up to the world and surrounding myself with test gear.

Edit: thanks for editing!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98239 on: August 19, 2021, 11:31:46 pm »

Entire message deleted, for simplicity. Let people wonder what the hell was going on :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 11:34:03 pm by tggzzz »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98240 on: August 19, 2021, 11:33:28 pm »

What Fran doesn't realize is that there was a follow on to SLT called MST (Monolithic System Technology) which used the same case style and footprint but rather than discrete transistor chips and resistors used integrated circuits. Most of S/370 mainframes used MST.

Huh... I didn't realize SLT architecture went that far back; I thought they were a 70s technology that was quickly obsoleted (but refused to actually die). Neat.

mnem

Yep, SLT was developed specifically for S/360 which was first announced in 1964. It was first prototyped in the "Components Division" at the Poughkeepsie, NY site and then mass produced at the East Fishkill, NY Fab when it opened around 1963. 

MST lasted right up to 308X but I think when ES9000 came out it was obsolete. 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98241 on: August 19, 2021, 11:36:30 pm »
Nonetheless, the compliance issue is a sweet twist :)

If any idiot had tried to enforce one of the standby clauses at one job, I would have instantly resigned. For similar reasons, I have always refuse to have a company cellphone.

Actually could you remove that quote. I’ve sent the original message by PM. Shouldn’t really discuss technicalities in public  |O

As for standby clauses yes indeed. It came with the danger money though which is needed to shorten the time between now and sticking a middle finger up to the world and surrounding myself with test gear.

Discord is the place for airing dirty laundry.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98242 on: August 19, 2021, 11:44:39 pm »
"...you know you're a TE addict when you use a new toothbrush to clean rusty transistors rather than your teeth"

'strewth, every word. There's always one or two of 'em in my pen cup that have never touched a tooth. I buy a pack almost every time I go to the Dollarama; seems they're the only place you can get "normal" toothbrushes (without stoopit bits of plastic or rubber squeegee in the middle of the bristles) anymore.

mnem
 :-/O

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98243 on: August 19, 2021, 11:51:09 pm »

Edit: I was going to explain this but decided it’s better for private messages

C.C. me, I always enjoy a good laugh at HR's expense.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98244 on: August 19, 2021, 11:55:08 pm »
Better to ask for any cost-benefit analysis of ML research. I’m not going to use the term AI because that’s just a lie. It’s not artificial and it’s not intelligence.

Ah yes, the old conundrum: in a battle between artificial intelligence and natural stupidity, which will be triumphant?

When trying to get the point across, sometimes it is sufficient to amend a PERT chart to include a task "magic happens".

I usually referred the sort of people you're talking aboot to the Magic/More Magic page of the Jargon file: http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html

It's fun to watch people who think they're such smart management types try to wrap their brains around it; it's like the inverse function of nerd-sniping.  :-DD

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98245 on: August 20, 2021, 12:00:46 am »

My guess is you soldered a bit of capacitor leg to the case of the transistor...?

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98246 on: August 20, 2021, 12:19:21 am »

mnem

Yep, SLT was developed specifically for S/360 which was first announced in 1964. It was first prototyped in the "Components Division" at the Poughkeepsie, NY site and then mass produced at the East Fishkill, NY Fab when it opened around 1963. 

MST lasted right up to 308X but I think when ES9000 came out it was obsolete.

Huh again. I've been to East Fishkill. I had my job interview at Philips Lighting there.

mnem
 :o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:22:03 am by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #98247 on: August 20, 2021, 02:39:33 am »
There was a vintage slightly crusty HP current probe available on evilbay in Oz  >:D eBay auction: #165025864057

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98248 on: August 20, 2021, 02:48:31 am »
Did somebody finally spray the winged monkeys with RAID...?

Welcome back all y'alls... for however long it lasts.

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #98249 on: August 20, 2021, 03:37:29 am »
The shirt isn't directly available at Spreadshirt, you need to design your own version of it by using an alpha-channel PNG.

Oh, I see. I was thinking of putting up designs for everyone to order what they like.

I'll check this evening why is that and will replace it. Thanks for the heads-up.  :-+
Btw, as a plan B, one can use one of the pictures from above and convert the white into transparent (which I did previously).

Yep, can do.

I tried Inkscape and found it worse than gimp using it.  :horse:

Steep learning curve, for sure. Fortunately, I'm past it for GIMP, but unfortunately that's not the case for Inkscape (have barely used it).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf