Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16958625 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98150 on: August 19, 2021, 11:15:59 am »

Phew but fuck that seller in particular  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

It's a fairly crap scope but do I get the jammy git award for paying less than £100 for it?  :-DD

So, you've got now an EDU-scope? Will you learn how to use a scope properly? :-DD
The only learning BD wants to do with it is:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-tbs1000-series-hacking/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98151 on: August 19, 2021, 11:20:58 am »
Anybody in the UK?

Fluke 8520A, 18 minutes available

https://www.ebay.de/itm/203560819683
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98152 on: August 19, 2021, 11:34:20 am »

Phew but fuck that seller in particular  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

It's a fairly crap scope but do I get the jammy git award for paying less than £100 for it?  :-DD

So, you've got now an EDU-scope? Will you learn how to use a scope properly? :-DD
The only learning BD wants to do with it is:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-tbs1000-series-hacking/

Yes step one is make it into a not EDU scope with more MHz  8)

To be fair the EDU stuff built in looks fairly decent.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98153 on: August 19, 2021, 12:22:23 pm »
Here are some very salty prices on eBay UK >:D

I often wonder if some of the absurdly priced auctions are in fact money laundering.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98154 on: August 19, 2021, 12:35:32 pm »
The 27 arrived.

It's pristine, mint, has not popped its cherry fuse. As BD noted, a small mark on the plastic of the screen (looks like an errant drop of solvent, subsequently left to dry) and that's it. Cosmetically it otherwise looks like it just came out of the factory wrappings. The display is crisp and high contrast, sadly this makes me realise how much the 25's display has declined over the years.

Only checked out on DC so far but it agrees digit for digit with the 25, except for an occasional ±1 last digit difference on the 3.0V range while running it through the whole 3.0V range. That is why people buy Fluke handhelds; two meters that have had very different lives, one spent years in a tank under desert conditions (literally), one pampered and apparently hardly, if at all, used, and they still agree down to the last digit.

I can dial up any 4 digit display I want on the resistance range with my Vishay 5 decade resistance box. The DC current range agrees with the 25 and what the readback on my E3616A says.  Just boring old Fluke predictability really.

Not bad for £29.99 and £4.95 postage. Perhaps the seller is into charity work for skinflint impoverished TEA addicts because it came packed in a "Karl Lagerfeld Kids" shoebox, so they aren't short of a bob or two.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zucca, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98155 on: August 19, 2021, 12:40:19 pm »

I would argue that this is best stop-motion done for many years.
https://youtu.be/41BX9zn_qZo

"Electronics for dogs" and "Spare Track" does it for me. W & G deserve a very special place in the Pantheon of moving pictures, indeed.

(One should perhaps think about the resources available to Rymdreglage and Aardman, respectively -- the former is a rural 2-man hobby operation, while someone paid Aardman. )

One should also note that "A Grand Day Out", the first Wallace and Gromit, was a student film made while Nick Park was still at college - so in the same terms a 1-man hobby operation.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98156 on: August 19, 2021, 12:42:03 pm »
Glad the Fluke 27 worked. I near had it at least 5 times before deciding to pass it on  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98157 on: August 19, 2021, 12:46:13 pm »
Anybody in the UK?

No bids, seller relisted.

I am thinking about making a low offer and seeing what happens.

I've already got two working budget bench DMMs plus my £25 Dana 5100.    Properly adjusted the Dana 5100 should come close to the accuracy of an 8520A.   

*The 5100 has better specified accuracy than a 5100AF.   

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98158 on: August 19, 2021, 12:48:59 pm »
Glad the Fluke 27 worked. I near had it at least 5 times before deciding to pass it on  :-DD

You're now forgiven for the hp OCXO.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #98159 on: August 19, 2021, 12:58:44 pm »
Any chance that the meter can do Moisture readings too?

Without the manual and only very thin documentation available online your guess is as good as mine :-) ... I still hope that someone around here has a Normameter 900-950, Siemens B1024-B1028 and can provide me with (parts of) the manual to uncover the mistery.

However, moisture is most of the time measured in some percentage relative to some saturation point, so I would guess it's actually a temperature input.

My knowledge about temperature measurement is very limited to the standard types, RTD and NTC, and I rarely need to touch characteristics, so I can only guess. But based on the straight line, whatever it is, it looks still fine ;-)

Well, Mo is the symbol for Molybdenum, and I found quite a few discussions of temperature sensors that have Mo (molybdenum) involved in the design of them. I don't know why Mo on the meter would mean anything else.  :-//

MOLYBDENUM (Mo):
Excellent mechanical properties at elevated temperatures. Melting point at 4750°F. Excellent in reducing or neutral atmospheres. It has low thermal-neutron capture cross-section and excellent thermal shock resistance. Poor in oxidizing atmospheres. Excellent for thermal cycling applications.

https://www.convectronics.com/Sensors26.php

Mode? As in, J, K, T, E, N, R, S etc?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #98160 on: August 19, 2021, 01:08:22 pm »
The 27 arrived.

Now I want one. But a 27FM.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #98161 on: August 19, 2021, 01:10:51 pm »

Damn people now you're dragging me into this rabbit hole!  :palm:

OK, if the printing is MD (notice that's a small capital "D") it might indicate "Mode". I looked at a lot of pics and I can't say whether the letter after the "M" is a small "O" or a small "D". Can anyone definitively state which it is?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:24:32 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98162 on: August 19, 2021, 01:20:45 pm »
Anybody in the UK?

I don't know whether to be sad or happy that I now go "only 5.5 digits? Meh!"
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98163 on: August 19, 2021, 01:21:07 pm »
Door installed. Left to do: 2 coats poly then hardware install. Then done.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, ch_scr, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #98164 on: August 19, 2021, 01:23:10 pm »
Who will join me in a group buy of those small LCR sweezers SMD tester thingy
it says only 1 more needed.
$ 56 and now instead of $100

Participants needed!Come group shopping together and save more!
https://banggood.app.link/TyjinxVJQib
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster, FransW

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98165 on: August 19, 2021, 01:36:13 pm »
The 27 arrived.

I'd have an FM out of preference if I could, but I'm not looking a 30 quid gift horse in the mouth.

I've had good mileage out of the 25. Nothing fancy, basic V, and I in both AC and DC,  \$\Omega\$, continuity, conductivity (there's a semi-concealed nS range) with 3200 count and nothing else; but it's accurate, it gets the job done and you're not scared to take it somewhere it might get dropped, run over, or otherwise physically abused. Also has the best tilting bail of any multimeter I've ever used, you can push banana plugs in without the meter skittering off somewhere. Also, you can even reverse the bail to use as a hook/carrying handle or to give you more reach in a bar fight. Bonus for the troglodytes is that it has intrinsically safe rating for mines.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #98166 on: August 19, 2021, 01:36:50 pm »
Participants needed!Come group shopping together and save more!
https://banggood.app.link/TyjinxVJQib

I tried, but the stupid website crashed on the checkout page. Now it tells me only new users can join the group.  :horse:
I keep trying...

Why is so difficult to waste my money?

EDIT: I have to try when I am home tonight, it looks like they detect my public ip and blocked me out as new user.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:44:53 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #98167 on: August 19, 2021, 01:38:52 pm »
Thanks Zucca for trying... so as i understand it is just a way for them to get NEW clients.
has nothing to do with group buy... who would have guessed they are so sneaky... :palm:
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98168 on: August 19, 2021, 01:42:13 pm »

what would they do with an Oscope on an old rustbucket like that?

https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography/numerical-list-of-images/nhhc-series/naval-subjects-collection/l45--us-navy-ships/121-140/l45-132-05-01-uss-illusive--mso-448-.html

Easy. Look at all the antennas on the main mast.

Yeah... any Navy craft is full of electronics... and they are constantly being retrofit until decommissioned. A battery-op scope is an obvious necessity here, and yours now has provenance...

mnem
  :-//

I haven't been on the HMCS Haida since I was a kid and it was still docked at Ontario Place, and I don't remember much/anything about the electronics on it.  I'll have to pay a visit out of curiosity assuming it's open and see what radio and radar stuff was left on it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98169 on: August 19, 2021, 01:42:23 pm »
The 27 arrived.

I'd have an FM out of preference if I could, but I'm not looking a 30 quid gift horse in the mouth.

I've had good mileage out of the 25. Nothing fancy, basic V, and I in both AC and DC,  \$\Omega\$, continuity, conductivity (there's a semi-concealed nS range) with 3200 count and nothing else; but it's accurate, it gets the job done and you're not scared to take it somewhere it might get dropped, run over, or otherwise physically abused. Also has the best tilting bail of any multimeter I've ever used, you can push banana plugs in without the meter skittering off somewhere. Also, you can even reverse the bail to use as a hook/carrying handle or to give you more reach in a bar fight. Bonus for the troglodytes is that it has intrinsically safe rating for mines.

Also you can beat an elephant to death with it quite easily should you need to defend yourself  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #98170 on: August 19, 2021, 01:49:47 pm »
I can't imagine having to defend yourself from an elephant attack while trying to use a multimeter for something is a particularly common occurrence, especially in the UK.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #98171 on: August 19, 2021, 01:54:15 pm »
The 27 arrived.

I'm all with you, a 25, 27, or 27FM all would be adequate tools, but my desire lies with the 27FM, preferably with the HV probe; because that's something I miss today. Bar ruggedness, as you write, the rest of the meter has capabilities I easily surpass with my other meters; save for HV measurements above 2,5KV which is the limit of my Avos and other VOMen.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #98172 on: August 19, 2021, 01:55:37 pm »
I can't imagine having to defend yourself from an elephant attack while trying to use a multimeter for something is a particularly common occurrence, especially in the UK.

But think of the movie plot that scenario is part of. Especially if it is stop-motion clay animation  :-DD

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98173 on: August 19, 2021, 02:07:19 pm »

Damn people now you're dragging me into this rabbit hole!  :palm:

OK, if the printing is MD (notice that's a small capital "D") it might indicate "Mode". I looked at a lot of pics and I can't say whether the letter after the "M" is a small "O" or a small "D". Can anyone definitively state which it is?

Update on the Mystery "Mo" type RTD input:

In St1 ("Mo") I measured TCR = 0.003
(Based on 100 Ohm -> 0 °C; 130 Ohm -> 100 °C)

In St2 ("Pt") I measured TCR = 0.0039
(Based on 100 Ohm -> 0 °C; 139 Ohm -> 100 °C)

Intermediate conclusions:

St2 ("Pt") matches pretty good the platinum-based PTC sensor that I have for testing Pt100 inputs. That much was more or less confirmed by my simple comparison to the BM789 Type K comparison mesurement.

St1 ("Mo") matches no standard TCR I know of. Maybe it's some molybdenium special sensor requested by some steel industry customer (Voest Alpine) or similar? Maybe it's configurable somehow (0.003 looks to round for my taste)? Anyone has a Table of TCRs for non-standard materials?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 02:13:21 pm by Cymaphore »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98174 on: August 19, 2021, 02:07:38 pm »
The 27 arrived.

I'm all with you, a 25, 27, or 27FM all would be adequate tools, but my desire lies with the 27FM, preferably with the HV probe; because that's something I miss today. Bar ruggedness, as you write, the rest of the meter has capabilities I easily surpass with my other meters; save for HV measurements above 2,5KV which is the limit of my Avos and other VOMen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154034358475

:popcorn:  :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf