Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16955263 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #97700 on: August 15, 2021, 03:39:03 am »
Had a nice RIFA explosion tonight. I got an -hp- 11713A attenuator/switch driver. Noted that the rifa in the line filter looked a little dodgy, but what's living if you don't live dangerously?  >:D

I tested everything out and the RIFA lasted about an hour before going up in smoke.  :-DD  :-BROKE

What do you fine folks like to replace these with?

Here. Absolute value not important as long as it has the safety ratings.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, Specmaster, 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #97701 on: August 15, 2021, 04:25:37 am »
Just peeked in to let AVGresponding know I watched the first ep of the new season of Star Trek: Lower Decks with my son tonight.   >:D

mnem
*toddles off to ded, full of roast beast and veggies*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #97702 on: August 15, 2021, 05:32:22 am »
So, today the new TEAcquisition appeared.
Here's some more hints:

One day absent from TEA and five or more pages to read ...
So I'll be absent one more day, more pictures and disclosure of the unit then.

Hmmm. I see you blurred the model name on the left in one pic, but I think I see the floppy drive showing, and a color screen. A printer on the top. On the back a reference adjust and 10 MHz in/out. The plastic is yellowed. I'll give it my best shot this evening ...  8)

Think I've found it with a bit of web searching, a time interval analyzer TA520.

David

You've guessed correctly, and xrunner too.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97703 on: August 15, 2021, 07:31:24 am »
Had a nice RIFA explosion tonight. I got an -hp- 11713A attenuator/switch driver. Noted that the rifa in the line filter looked a little dodgy, but what's living if you don't live dangerously?  >:D

I tested everything out and the RIFA lasted about an hour before going up in smoke.  :-DD  :-BROKE

Hahaha I bought one of them that the RIFA had exploded in already. I just wanted the feet off it for my 5334B at the time but lifted the buttons, binding posts and some other bits out for stock as it was in a bit of a state. Even the primary filter cap was open circuit. I still have the chassis somewhere which I will use for something else.

As for replacements anything not RIFA that is X2 is fine.

Picture for reference

« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 07:33:54 am by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97704 on: August 15, 2021, 07:33:08 am »
Just peeked in to let AVGresponding know I watched the first ep of the new season of Star Trek: Lower Decks with my son tonight.   >:D

mnem

I couldn’t lower myself to watch that  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97705 on: August 15, 2021, 07:40:35 am »
I'm just about to set off to collect my newest addition to my growing Avo collection. I'm kinda thinking that the value of my older Avo's will be going up soon, so I can flip them and leave myself with the much newer and lighter ones,  ;) Its always good to have something that wobbles on the bench  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97706 on: August 15, 2021, 07:49:59 am »

Hahaha I bought one of them that the RIFA had exploded in already. I just wanted the feet off it for my 5334B at the time but lifted the buttons, binding posts and some other bits out for stock as it was in a bit of a state. Even the primary filter cap was open circuit. I still have the chassis somewhere which I will use for something else.

Picture for reference

Avoid the Kemet branded RIFA'S too, WIMA MP3 and anything else described as paper based.

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97707 on: August 15, 2021, 08:13:15 am »
I'm just about to set off to collect my newest addition to my growing Avo collection. I'm kinda thinking that the value of my older Avo's will be going up soon, so I can flip them and leave myself with the much newer and lighter ones,  ;) Its always good to have something that wobbles on the bench  :-DD

Good luck.

Sounds like you need some more HP kit if you like something that wobbles as it’s always missing at least one foot  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #97708 on: August 15, 2021, 09:16:18 am »

... and fits in the space.

I proactively replaced the RIFAs in my HP8562B spectrum analyser, a job in itself since the instrument has to be unpeeled to get to the PSU[1]. New RIFAs were the only thing that would fit :(

They'll last me out.

[1] see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-vs-tektronics-design-philosophies/msg3153112/#msg3153112
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97709 on: August 15, 2021, 09:18:51 am »
Was this thread always close to 4000 pages long?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97710 on: August 15, 2021, 09:20:26 am »

My bet is that Avos' attractiveness is based on people fondly remembering what they wanted to own in their youth. Once people become, um, silent, they will lose value.

I'm about to test that presumption with my mother's A&C Black books and my father's record collection. The auctioneer for the latter says 60s jazz sells well, 50s more pickily, and 20s/30s/40s stuff is sold in bulk. Brown/orange/red 70s stuff is becoming more expensive.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 09:22:10 am by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97711 on: August 15, 2021, 09:28:42 am »
Was this thread always close to 4000 pages long?

Alexander.

Of course not. On the 16th of Jan 2017 it only had a single page.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: firewalker, bitseeker, duckduck

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #97712 on: August 15, 2021, 09:29:09 am »
Has anyone been allowed to dig down and find out how much of those large stones are underground? Seems like they would have to have a pretty goof length under there to keep them from falling over.  :-//

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, bitseeker

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #97713 on: August 15, 2021, 11:25:31 am »
The ancient people were not dumb people. No ancient aliens needed. Thanks.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Carl_Smith, mnementh, bd139, duckduck

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97714 on: August 15, 2021, 12:15:36 pm »
I always like to compare the human aspects when doing reasoning of this type. In this case I ask: do I know anyone who could work out how to do this with the tools available at the time? The answer is no. Then I ask myself why and the answer is simply that most people are literally too stupid to work it out and pay someone else to do it. Which is exactly what happened back then. Someone worked out how to do it and died young surrounded by floozies and beer. At no point did the reasoning need to diverge into magical bullshit apart from some goat blood being spilled probably.

The only modern evolution of this concept is the addition of marketing and HR. The marketing hides the fact that they really don’t know how to do it and how much it’s going to cost you while they try several different ways of doing it until one is standing upright in a wonky manor. And HR exists to utterly fail to find someone who knows how to do it already and introducing an order of staff who are entirely incapable of adding anything other than hierarchy to the organisation of stone putter uppers. Oh and let’s not forget the legal team which writes contracts and letters to dissatisfied clients to stop them saying anything about the wonky stones. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 12:22:11 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97715 on: August 15, 2021, 12:26:06 pm »
The only modern evolution of this concept is the addition of marketing and HR. The marketing hides the fact that they really don’t know how to do it and how much it’s going to cost you while they try several different ways of doing it until one is standing upright in a wonky manor. And HR exists to utterly fail to find someone who knows how to do it already and introducing an order of staff who are entirely incapable of adding anything other than hierarchy to the organisation of stone putter uppers. Oh and let’s not forget the legal team which writes contracts and letters to dissatisfied clients to stop them saying anything about the wonky stones.

So, the modern more civilised equivalent of religion/magic and swords. :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97716 on: August 15, 2021, 12:37:52 pm »
Anyone in UK fancy a gamble on a high performance HP SA?
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393493114316
A bit rough and needs leads (you can knock some up with a old SCSI lead and some coax inserts for testing). These normally go for over £1k. Yes the 8568A is big but they are still one  of the best swept analysers made. Still in use worldwide and Keysight still support.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97717 on: August 15, 2021, 12:40:44 pm »
I did consider it but it’s a bit rusty which will hide other things and as mentioned no link cables. And I can’t be arsed to drive up to Corby to get it and I don’t have anywhere to put it  :-DD

I’ve seen fairly decent analysers go for £100 more than the starting price for it too.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #97718 on: August 15, 2021, 12:42:05 pm »
Well fudge ... got message from seller of the hp 436A -

"I have misplaced or lost this item. I am issuing a refund. thank you."

How can you lose a power meter?  :-//

Oh well, I found another - may get it for a little less than the other one. Making offer at this time ...  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97719 on: August 15, 2021, 01:11:03 pm »

mnem

I couldn’t lower myself to watch that  :-DD

I find that statement highly suspect. ;)

Also, too bad; it's a hoot. Pokes fun at pretty much everything Star Trek ; it's not like the franchise can't use a little poking fun at.  :-DD

mnem
Beats the fuck out of the gigaquads of fanfic out there... and then there's the slashfic.  *shudder*
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 01:46:30 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97720 on: August 15, 2021, 01:36:01 pm »
I always like to compare the human aspects when doing reasoning of this type. In this case I ask: do I know anyone who could work out how to do this with the tools available at the time? The answer is no. Then I ask myself why and the answer is simply that most people are literally too stupid to work it out and pay someone else to do it. Which is exactly what happened back then. Someone worked out how to do it and died young surrounded by floozies and beer. At no point did the reasoning need to diverge into magical bullshit apart from some goat blood being spilled probably.

Yeah, but this isn't even news. The "experts" figured it all out decades ago... again. The stupidity of the masses is no accident; it has been deliberately crafted by the few to keep the many under control. In the same way the Church kept all the knowledge that would later be rediscovered during The Renaissance in the hands of the priesthood throughout the Dark Ages.

That knowledge was a handle on the populace; stupid rich people cannot coerce a populace who is on average smarter than they are. And look at the result of 30 years of deliberately destroying a Public Education system that was once the envy of the developed world: in the 90s, Chump tried to buy the election and everybody laughed him off the stage. Wait one generation dumber, and you have enough morons who actually voted for him that it became marginally plausible he somehow was elected rather than installed in the Presidency by a corrupt Electoral College. Just like the Shrub before him. |O

Make no mistake, historians will mark these years as the Dark Ages of the American Empire; we just did it louder and faster. Rome took 5500 years to rise and fall; Great Britain 3000 (give or take); the US is on track to knock that down to 300.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 01:39:31 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97721 on: August 15, 2021, 01:45:31 pm »
Well fudge ... got message from seller of the hp 436A - "I have misplaced or lost this item. I am issuing a refund. thank you."   How can you lose a power meter?  :-//   Oh well, I found another - may get it for a little less than the other one. Making offer at this time ...  :popcorn:

Huh... given that  am still going back and forth with that dickwad who put his borked Lenovo touchscreen digitizer on fleaBay instead of in the garbage where it belongs... and my last purchase of bicycle parts that never arrived... is there anybody left on fleaBay who isn't some douchnugget ripoff motherfucker...?

mnem

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #97722 on: August 15, 2021, 01:54:41 pm »

Well what to do now?

I have 12 coax and 15 Eth CAT5 coming out from the wall in my US home. The coax are for the dish/satellite service which in 2013 made sense somehow to some people.

I am looking for a managed 1Gb/POE switch to slap there, I want to do VLAN and maybe other jazz which make sense in 2021.

Mikrotik?

What to do with all the coax? 10MHz network to sync the TEA in the kitchen?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 08:08:59 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97723 on: August 15, 2021, 02:07:50 pm »
In the same way the Church kept all the knowledge that would later be rediscovered during The Renaissance in the hands of the priesthood throughout the Dark Ages.

I always chuckle when someone makes an assertion about the Dark Ages because the term when used by historians, if they use it at all, refers to times that are dark to us because of the lack of historical sources, we don't know what went on. Also, the term only really applies to European history, those bits of the rest of the world that could write, did, and kept their records. There is no Chinese Dark Age.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: scl, bd139, duckduck

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97724 on: August 15, 2021, 02:10:34 pm »

Well what to do now?

I have 12 coax and 15 Eth CAT5 coming out from the wall in my US home. The coax are for the dish/satellite service which in 2013 made sense somehow to some people.

I am looking for a managed 1Gb/POE switch to slap there, I want to do VLAN and maybe other jazz which make sense in 2021.

Mikrotik?

What to do with all the coax? 10MHz network to sync for the TEA in the kitchen?

Not enough. I have 8 running to my living room alone, having installed twice what I thought would be reasonable. I still run out of places to plug things in...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf