Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16972492 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94750 on: July 17, 2021, 08:51:33 pm »
Ugggh. Discord is being a whiny fucking bitch on my tablet.  :palm:

mnem
don't read this.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94751 on: July 17, 2021, 09:15:27 pm »
If you're Doctor Moneybags this is what you go for.

The cheapest I've ever seen from a reputable supplier is around the £500 mark, upper limit is "If Sir needs to ask..." territory. No need to wear your usual glasses because they will be customised to your personal prescription. The big advantage is that you can work at full arms length yet still see a magnified small field rather than having to adjust your head to work distance to suit the optical aid you're using.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94752 on: July 17, 2021, 09:27:21 pm »
See those at your local friendly dentist :)

ISTR see in some affordable ones recently, quality unknown.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94753 on: July 17, 2021, 09:34:38 pm »
I think it's the kind of thing that really needs buying from a full service supplier. They need to be built into frames at your inter-pupillary distance, set to converge properly and, for many of us, have inserts custom manufactured to a prescription. All the cheap ones I've seen on eBay and suchlike look like a much simplified setup that one suspects won't yield anything like the same results.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94754 on: July 17, 2021, 09:44:03 pm »
All very plausible. The big question is whether they can be good enough for some limited purposes.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94755 on: July 17, 2021, 09:48:36 pm »
Indeed. I'd be curious to actually see some and try them, but it's the kind of thing that I'd be very reluctant to shell out for sight-unseen (no pun intended).

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #94756 on: July 17, 2021, 10:04:12 pm »
Indeed. I'd be curious to actually see some and try them, but it's the kind of thing that I'd be very reluctant to shell out for sight-unseen (no pun intended).
I looked hard at the $ medical grade magnifiers years back but settled on cheaper headsets and said no thank you to anything smaller that 0805 and SOIC.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94757 on: July 17, 2021, 10:20:17 pm »
Oh, 0805, SOIC and even 0603 I'll happily do without optical aids. It's the assortment of 0.5mm pitch stuff that I keep tripping across that has convinced me that life would be easier with a binocular magnifier. Now I've got something I'll use it for what i think of as "the bigger stuff" too, but it's getting 0.5mm pitch parts properly aligned and cleanly that has been the driving force for me.

Personally I do try and stick to nothing smaller than 0805 for discretes and 0.127mm pitch for semiconductors when and where I can, but I keep hitting parts only available in MSOP or smaller, or the hairier leaded SOT-23 variants (SOT-23-6 and the like). Also the 'single gate' variants of logic are so useful, and they are itty-bitty parts too - the dual gate Schmitt trigger drivers I got the other day are SOT-23-6.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94758 on: July 17, 2021, 10:28:48 pm »
Lucky you...my arms aren't long enough to get the little buggers in focus.  :rant:

While tiny SOT23-6 are easy to work with routing for the little buggers can be tricky but I can do just it with toner transfer.
I use a SOT23-6 dual complimentary MOSFET as an interface between logic and gate hungry power devices.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94759 on: July 17, 2021, 10:52:12 pm »
Lucky you...my arms aren't long enough to get the little buggers in focus.  :rant:

Being on the highish side of the shortsighted spectrum (-4.5D sph, -1.5 cyl in the worse eye, so 5.25D sphere equivalent) I can just take my glasses off to get the equivalent of +2.5 diopters more than a typical +2.5D pair of reading glasses would offer. When I was young and had all the visual accommodation that comes with youth I could comfortably focus on things only an inch away from my eye. The closest I can get unaided now is 6-7 inches.

I actually only use distance and intermediate glasses, I don't own a pair of reading glasses. I just take my specs off to read and hold the book at 10 inches, a perhaps half of 'normal' reading distance.

That's another motivation for me wanting some magnification for electronics work. The natural thing for me to do is to take off my glasses if I need to get close and there's too much temptation to take a chance when I'm doing something, like soldering, that really does call for having some eye protection in place.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94760 on: July 17, 2021, 11:50:24 pm »
I actually only use distance and intermediate glasses, I don't own a pair of reading glasses. I just take my specs off to read and hold the book at 10 inches, a perhaps half of 'normal' reading distance.
We are each blessed with our own disabilities and I need some magnification (read $2 shop glasses) for most close small text reading or technical work but still have good normal length vision where I can still spot a good looker at distance on the street !  :-DD

Most reading don't need aids other than reasonably good light and I can still spot bunnys unaided at 200yds for the cat.....despite the numerous bits of steel grit removed from the eyeballs over the decades from just being too lazy to put on safety glasses.  :horse:

OTOH her indoors has vison like you and whips off prescription specs to do anything up close and without specs is as blind as a bat for long distance.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #94761 on: July 18, 2021, 12:35:32 am »
I'll beat tggzzz to the gaining of Pedant PointsTM, that's "The Rocky Horror Show", "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is the cinematic version.  :)

Do you like spoiling the little pleasure left in my life, or what?

Tim Curry stomping up the aisle was definitely an eye opener :)
I do remember one detail about the show I attended...

At the entrance, there was some scaffolding with a couple of hairy beasts hanging motionless from the pipework.  One, however, was different from what you would have expected.  There was actually a person inside.  Every now and then, as the patrons casually made their way in, this beast would - ever so slowly - reach down and make contact with one and scare the living heck out of them ... then just as slowly return to their lurking position.  That was hilarious.

* Title correction made in earlier post.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #94762 on: July 18, 2021, 03:33:59 am »
Steak and eggs would be good. Might do that on Trangia next time  :-DD

Good scenery. Walking Eastbourne to Seaford via beachy head. May be late for discord later  :-DD

Yes, that is nice walk. Probably OK temperature-wise too, with the sea close by.

Does your Trangia have a non-stick pan? I've worn out a few in my younger years in the scouting movement, and consequently, my own Trangias are plain Al.  But I'm considering both their non-stick and the "Duossal" ones, which are laminated Al and stainless, with the steel towards the food side.  For the Squad Kitchen I've got I'm considering a carbon steel pan completion; I've yet to use the Al pan in it, only made stews and such so far.

I do not have anything from Trangia myself, but MSR, GSI and Primus.

If you go for non-stick, there are 2 rules:
- Never use metal utensils.  Use wood, bamboo or plastic to avoid scratching the coating.
- No empty pots or pans on the stove.  Keep the temperature down with food or water in it.  The coating is teflon-based and going over-temperature ruins the coating.

The best way to enforce those rules is to go solo camping and never share.  That is the best type of camping anyway  ;)
If you cannot manage that, then hard anodized might be a good compromise.  Better than aluminum, but can still withstand some gentle abuse, such as with family camping.

For one particular use, I tried hard anodized titanium.  It was rather expensive, but well worth it for carrying it in a backpack for 2 meals over 180km in winter...  :-+  That set is still in perfect condition many years later.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #94763 on: July 18, 2021, 03:46:55 am »
The array of Devices! that is needed to maintain and diagnose optical and copper lines today is impressive.

That is not the way it is here in the GWN.

If the copper is not fully broken, then we are left to suffer.
When the copper permanently fails, then they eventually get around to replacing it.  More suffering in the meantime.

If you have broken optical, then you are considered upper-class.  (you, not me...)
The repair trucks are equipped with sets of standard length replacement optical cables.
They choose a cable longer than needed and loop the excess, but replacement is done surprisingly quickly.
Other optical equipment is plug-n-play replacement.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #94764 on: July 18, 2021, 03:51:36 am »
If it isn't worth carrying GreenPan, it isn't worth cooking.  >:D

Seriously... When I packed only my most essential stuff (my VR rig, my CPAP bag and my children) in the car to drive across the border, I still packed my GreenPan 3-egg pan and 11-inch griddle.

mnem
properly cooked eggs are essential.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 03:55:22 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94765 on: July 18, 2021, 04:48:33 am »
Good scenery. Walking Eastbourne to Seaford via beachy head. May be late for discord later  :-DD

Make sure you take plenty of water and sunblock, it's gonna be a warm one

You'll know its an English summer when you see all the Aussies wandering round in greatcoats & beanies! ;D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94766 on: July 18, 2021, 05:22:01 am »
I suffered a setback in my recovery yesterday which is why I wasn't on Discord. I'll spare everyone the gory details but basically I noticed something Saturday that set off alarm bells. So I decided I better get to the ER and get it checked out. Turns out my concern was not unjustified but was not as severe as I thought. But they did discover something new and minor that needs attention. So long story short I have to call the dr this week and start the process all over again. But I suspect it will work out fine and is just a bump in the road towards total recovery.

And believe it or not I was in and out of the ER in under 4 hours which is considered a "short" stay.  :-DD     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94767 on: July 18, 2021, 07:23:19 am »
Ah that sucks  :(. Fingers crossed for you here.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94768 on: July 18, 2021, 07:26:51 am »
The best way to enforce those rules is to go solo camping and never share.  That is the best type of camping anyway  ;)

I am actually booking a weekend in august which will involve a few people at once. They explicitly say no sharing equipment because of things like that happening  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94769 on: July 18, 2021, 08:52:41 am »

I am actually booking a weekend in august which will involve a few people at once. They explicitly say no sharing equipment because of things like that happening  :-DD

Now you can use Covid as an reason not to share :-DD

(yes I know it has little contact transfer and won't withstand heat, it's an excuse)

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94770 on: July 18, 2021, 09:00:47 am »
You say that but that’s on the paperwork. No sharing food or equipment. The guy who runs it says it’s the best things that’s happened to them for years because no one asks now  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94771 on: July 18, 2021, 09:28:20 am »
I suffered a setback in my recovery yesterday which is why I wasn't on Discord. I'll spare everyone the gory details but basically I noticed something Saturday that set off alarm bells. So I decided I better get to the ER and get it checked out. Turns out my concern was not unjustified but was not as severe as I thought. But they did discover something new and minor that needs attention. So long story short I have to call the dr this week and start the process all over again. But I suspect it will work out fine and is just a bump in the road towards total recovery.

And believe it or not I was in and out of the ER in under 4 hours which is considered a "short" stay.  :-DD     
Bugger....the light at the end of the tunnel is not always so.  :(

I missed Discord for the 2nd week.....last week at the daughters 700km away and this week daughter and the grandy were here.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94772 on: July 18, 2021, 09:53:58 am »

Man that really sucks, but it also serves as a reminder to us all, not to do something that you really know you shouldn't attempt, especially after a medical procedure. As we get older, our bodies take longer to repair themselves, so please really do take the time to relax, give those mocking bits of kit the two fingered salute, chuck a tea towel or something over them to shut them up. And only uncover them when you really have recovered fully.

Take care Mike, you know that you're in for the usual round of piss taking (pun accidental) and nagging from your friends here, but that only because of one thing, we love you, so don't rush things, take your time getting back on those benches again, please.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94773 on: July 18, 2021, 10:01:27 am »

Man that really sucks, but it also serves as a reminder to us all, not to do something that you really know you shouldn't attempt, especially after a medical procedure. As we get older, our bodies take longer to repair themselves, so please really do take the time to relax, give those mocking bits of kit the two fingered salute, chuck a tea towel or something over them to shut them up. And only uncover them when you really have recovered fully.

Take care Mike, you know that you're in for the usual round of piss taking (pun accidental) and nagging from your friends here, but that only because of one thing, we love you, so don't rush things, take your time getting back on those benches again, please.

I am taking it very easy and relaxed. I haven't done anything I shouldn't. I haven't even worked on the Heath VTVM which is no physical strain at all.

Lemme put it this way. I like cats. I wish I could have one but landlord has a strict no pets policy. But I don't like one strapped to my leg.  ::) :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94774 on: July 18, 2021, 10:03:04 am »
Anyone here fancy making their own mobile phone? Well now you can apparently https://circuitmess.com/ringo/ at a cost of just £95 for us Brits.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf