Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16965662 times)

Flump and 112 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94675 on: July 16, 2021, 05:09:41 pm »

Most people can't earn a living wage doing something that is fun or enjoyable to them and sometimes when you do something because you have to it ruins it for you. I have always found that it's best to keep the two parts of your life separate.

This goes for my audio engineering interest too -- I love the good parts of the work, and I really loathe the business side of it, especially so as trying to squeeze money out of promotors and club owners for work performed is like taking water from a stone.

I've got a small gig doing pro bono audio consulting and engineering for a local outdoor venue. I only want my expenses paid, and I very much want them to succeed and continue their activity.

At work, I'm bordering audio, and that is enough. But my job is computer networks.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #94676 on: July 16, 2021, 05:10:44 pm »

It might cost me my sanity but I was never sure of that anyway  :-DD

I find it a bit rich that a man who chose to marry a redhead claims to ever have possessed something called "sanity".  :)

You obviously have never experienced one to understand. For the longest time you are thinking with the wrong head but suddenly you wake up one day to the reality of it all.  :scared:   

I married mine. Well, my 4th one; I barely survived the other three.  :-DD  What a difference blue eyes instead of green makes...  :o

mnem
And truth be told, I wouldn't still be here to tell the tale without her. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94677 on: July 16, 2021, 05:17:29 pm »

This Tek-Demon appeared on my desk today...  >:D

"He who fights with Test Equipment should look to it that he himself does not become a Test Equipment Anonymous. And if you gaze long into a Rabbit Hole, the Rabbit Hole also gazes into you."
~~ DOOMed TEA in 2021

Now you need to design a part in Frustion360 to print so you can put a nice civilized $10 digital camera on that bellows.

mnem
 >:D

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: DH7DN

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #94678 on: July 16, 2021, 05:19:08 pm »
I'm worried. People are starting to talk about their failed marriages and describe their illnesses in unnecessary detail, while bemoaning the shitshow the world has turned into these days. Are we all becoming - hams:scared:

This thought has crossed my mind too.

TE: I did not buy a Fluke 52 today. Went both too expensively and while I was driving.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94679 on: July 16, 2021, 05:26:55 pm »

Most people can't earn a living wage doing something that is fun or enjoyable to them and sometimes when you do something because you have to it ruins it for you. I have always found that it's best to keep the two parts of your life separate.

This goes for my audio engineering interest too -- I love the good parts of the work, and I really loathe the business side of it, especially so as trying to squeeze money out of promotors and club owners for work performed is like taking water from a stone.

I've got a small gig doing pro bono audio consulting and engineering for a local outdoor venue. I only want my expenses paid, and I very much want them to succeed and continue their activity.

At work, I'm bordering audio, and that is enough. But my job is computer networks.
Same here, I loved the part of my job that involved me and the customer and their engineers / contractors, doing the design, schematics, quote, training the engineers on how to install it and doing any subsequent service calls if things don't quite go as planned, the bits I hated were the management monthly meetings and in general anything to do management at any level. In my view, management just did not really understand their market and how they as a small player fitted in when compared with the bigger corporate players  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94680 on: July 16, 2021, 05:35:26 pm »
I'm lucky, I've always worked in a job that was interesting. Right from before I left school. I've had the odd unplanned move but that always seem to lead to an interesting change. No plan on ending the day job until they make me. Even then they tend to keep people like me (I'm accepted by various regulators as a SQEP and to make certification decisions) on as consultants after retirement as they need a certain level of cover to keep approvals. Currently I'm in a bit of the company I don't really like but am free to help other parts. I manage my own time and can pick and choose. Had an appraisal recently and said  didn't think I'm in the right place and wasn't doing much for them (they cover my costs and the other parts get me for free) but they are more than happy with what I do with about 20% of my time on their stuff  :-// Apparently the other parts of the group that get me for free gave me good feedback too. Money is good, not excessive. They have an engineering "stream" with similar levels to management so I don't have to be a manager to progress. I actually don't have to do any management crap. Get to travel (pre covid at least) enough to be interesting but not a pain. Often very short notice though. I could make a lot more working for myself but don't want all the crap that comes with running a business. Did have a limited Company for a while when doing some consulting. That was mainnly for liability reasons.
Guess I'm lucky.   

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #94681 on: July 16, 2021, 07:02:56 pm »
I'm worried. People are starting to talk about their failed marriages and describe their illnesses in unnecessary detail, while bemoaning the shitshow the world has turned into these days. Are we all becoming - hams:scared:

I think there are unsavoury aspects to any job or productive activity, whether it be repetition, politics, boredom, etc.
Yep, there are even unsavoury aspects to being a ham.  :scared:

The key difference for a hobby is you decide how to handle it, and you decide which rabbit holes to venture into and which to avoid.
For everything else, like work or marriages, the boss decides ...  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94682 on: July 16, 2021, 07:04:05 pm »
Boring Mundane Everyday Print #200: Bicycle Chainring Guard (Part 2) 

This is the dream (when it works ;)) of 3DP fulfilled; need a part, make a part. I've spent aboot CAD$30 fixing this old bike up so it could be ridden; the repair parts made for it saved me aboot $25.

Being able to make the battery pack for the headlight (the black thing on the side of the handlebar stem) saved me another $25 over anything even remotely comparable in quality, plus it allowed me to add a switch where even on the "premium" model one had to unplug the wire every time you quit. ::)

As always, for those who care more details over on the 3DP thread...

mnem
ride.  >:D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 07:06:41 pm by mnementh »

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #94683 on: July 16, 2021, 07:12:31 pm »
I'm lucky, I've always worked in a job that was interesting. Right from before I left school. I've had the odd unplanned move but that always seem to lead to an interesting change. No plan on ending the day job until they make me. Even then they tend to keep people like me (I'm accepted by various regulators as a SQEP and to make certification decisions) on as consultants after retirement as they need a certain level of cover to keep approvals. Currently I'm in a bit of the company I don't really like but am free to help other parts. I manage my own time and can pick and choose. Had an appraisal recently and said  didn't think I'm in the right place and wasn't doing much for them (they cover my costs and the other parts get me for free) but they are more than happy with what I do with about 20% of my time on their stuff  :-// Apparently the other parts of the group that get me for free gave me good feedback too. Money is good, not excessive. They have an engineering "stream" with similar levels to management so I don't have to be a manager to progress. I actually don't have to do any management crap. Get to travel (pre covid at least) enough to be interesting but not a pain. Often very short notice though. I could make a lot more working for myself but don't want all the crap that comes with running a business. Did have a limited Company for a while when doing some consulting. That was mainnly for liability reasons.
Guess I'm lucky.

That is not a familiar designation that I know of in the EASA framework.

I never would have guessed you were a qualified program evaluator:
https://www.sqep.ca/
 :-DD :-DD :-DD  >:D

I learned something when I looked up the wikipedia definition of SQEP.
-- Let's go with that one

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #94684 on: July 16, 2021, 07:17:05 pm »

I did this morning!  I feel good!

By the way, that chain guard actually looks really nice on that bike.  The colour is just right and it goes perfectly with that style of bike  :-+
-- no chain guards on my bikes

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #94685 on: July 16, 2021, 07:28:45 pm »
Fireberd 6000A Communications Analyzer...
Not sure about this one.  Look at photos #6 & #7.  The installed modules are different and the serial numbers are not the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373648373434

Would be more interesting if the serial module did automotive serial like ISO9141, KWP2000 or even ISO11898.
Somewhat tempting since I could arrange local pickup at either of their locations.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94686 on: July 16, 2021, 07:29:50 pm »
Guess I'm lucky.

"SQEP" is no longer the noise Med makes when he sits down.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94687 on: July 16, 2021, 07:31:20 pm »

I did this morning!  I feel good!   https://youtu.be/U5TqIdff_DQ

By the way, that chain guard actually looks really nice on that bike.  The colour is just right and it goes perfectly with that style of bike  :-+
-- no chain guards on my bikes

Thanks! The bike was a curb-score last summer; it languished in the back of my garage while I fiddle-farted around with several other junkers and building the new ones until I didn't have a garage anymore and... :o

Anyways... it was too good a bike to let go to the tip; I'm glad I rescued it. Even if it does beat the ever-livin' hell outta my back to ride it, even with that shock-absorber seatpost and suspension forks, which amazingly, still work. :o

It also weighs less than half what my fatbike does... if I ever do get myself down to a sane weight, it'll be a joy to ride.

mnem
 :-+

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94688 on: July 16, 2021, 07:35:50 pm »
These logic analysers are getting fancy. This one even has a beard  ???

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Kosmic, AVGresponding, DH7DN

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94689 on: July 16, 2021, 07:44:58 pm »
Haha, whats more he has a grey beard and he certainly looks as if he has an attitude... is that a photo of Med? :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #94690 on: July 16, 2021, 07:49:21 pm »

Now you need to design a part in Frustion360 to print so you can put a nice civilized $10 digital camera on that bellows.

mnem
 >:D

Haha, that is true :D I need to learn CAE first...  My suffering shall be legendary  :scared:

These logic analysers are getting fancy. This one even has a beard  ???

Epic  ;D Looks like an ancient Greek!  Which component will fail first? Heart, Liver, Eyes or Brain? Does his logic analysis base on Aristotle or is he more of Heidegger?  ;D
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #94691 on: July 16, 2021, 07:54:23 pm »
Hope they poke some holes in the shipping box so he can breathe!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, AVGresponding, DH7DN

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94692 on: July 16, 2021, 08:03:12 pm »
I'm lucky, I've always worked in a job that was interesting. Right from before I left school. I've had the odd unplanned move but that always seem to lead to an interesting change. No plan on ending the day job until they make me. Even then they tend to keep people like me (I'm accepted by various regulators as a SQEP and to make certification decisions) <SNIP>

I was trying to be agnostic. SQEP: Suitably Qualified & Experienced Person. You are correct,not used much by EASA,  is ued by some of our other approvals. In EASA terms I'm a CVE (certification verification engineer). Similar to a FAA DER (designated engineering representative). My cover includes CAA (EASA pre brexit), FAA, Transport Canada and a number of other organsations. Fortunately that is only part of the work. I actually get hands on with tool and TE too. On occasion flight testing too. Current employer has a flight test department and they don't like interlopers but there are some things they can't do.
I have written some embedded software but would not claim to be a programmer. That said there are currently 4 prototype ventillators out there undergoing trials with code I wrote controlling them  :scared:       

Oh my "panels" for aircraft certification DO include software verification. RTCA DO-178 and all that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 08:07:12 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94693 on: July 16, 2021, 08:25:11 pm »

On the road again, so followed that Wikipedia rabbit-hole for a few minutes...  :o

Quite frankly, that is a bit horrifying... Especially considering how much nuclear energy there is in this region...

mnem
Hell no, we don't want to glow...!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 08:29:08 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94694 on: July 16, 2021, 08:28:15 pm »
Haha, whats more he has a grey beard and he certainly looks as if he has an attitude... is that a photo of Med? :-DD

No.  ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94695 on: July 16, 2021, 08:49:58 pm »

On the road again, so followed that Wikipedia rabbit-hole for a few minutes...  :o

Quite frankly, that is a bit horrifying... Especially considering how much nuclear energy there is in this region...

mnem
Hell no, we don't want to glow...!

My other collection habit is radiation detectors and radioactive samples. I have several that glow in the dark  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #94696 on: July 16, 2021, 09:07:35 pm »
Ooooh, I need something that will produce Cherenkov radiation to keep looters out.   

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94697 on: July 16, 2021, 09:26:42 pm »

Mmmmmmm... Tastes kind of...  purple... :o 

mnem
...mixed with burnt pennies...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 09:35:50 pm by mnementh »

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94698 on: July 16, 2021, 09:40:38 pm »

Mmmmmmm... Tastes kind of...  purple... :o 

mnem
...mixed with burnt pennies...
... and that, lovely children, is the story of how the dragon got it's magic powers.
But for now, it's time to sleep.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94699 on: July 16, 2021, 10:16:52 pm »
Ooooh, I need something that will produce Cherenkov radiation to keep looters out.

You need something like 20F sending out electrons with an energy of about 5391keV.
This should do the job and produce a nice Cerenkov-blue-radiation.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf