Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16973926 times)

6h8c and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94575 on: July 15, 2021, 06:14:40 pm »
HP transfer standard anyone?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274868283348

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94576 on: July 15, 2021, 06:19:46 pm »
HP transfer standard anyone?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274868283348

Fortunately I have sufficient, and don't need another "clock".

Mind you, if it is still working then at 52yo it ought to be stable :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94577 on: July 15, 2021, 06:25:16 pm »
And someone bought the 735A, probably not too a bad price if it works, not convinced it is 52 years old, it's definitely post 1970 as it has IEC fitted & later case panel colour.

Wasn't me as I have a pair of them.

David
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 06:28:06 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94578 on: July 15, 2021, 06:29:30 pm »
Ok so who did it then?  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94579 on: July 15, 2021, 07:01:44 pm »
And someone bought the 735A, probably not too a bad price if it works, not convinced it is 52 years old, it's definitely post 1970 as it has IEC fitted & later case panel colour.

David

You might be right. The serial number beginning 09 means it was a 1969 design.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94580 on: July 15, 2021, 07:04:45 pm »
Not me, already got one. It's very stable. I'm lucky to also have a professional LTZ1000 based 10V reference.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94581 on: July 15, 2021, 07:48:59 pm »

David

You might be right. The serial number beginning 09 means it was a 1969 design.

Somethings not quite right with the week of last design change in the prefix code again, 0976A, it's not the only one either.

The manual on the web covers up to prefix 950 (Dec 1969 design rev.), still haven't bought an original dead tree edition.

Edit: even the manual couldn't get it right, the errata in the October 1971 supplement at the back says to change the 950 on the cover page to 948, it has info for the odd 976 prefix too.

Both mine are prefixed 547, but with approx 300 numbers in-between the serial no's. They have never been in the same place since they arrived, so I'll have to use the sellers pics.

David
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 07:57:49 pm by factory »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #94582 on: July 15, 2021, 07:58:22 pm »
Boring Mundane Everyday Print #200: Bicycle Chainring Guard   

https://a360.co/3wIQLYg

This is also for my spare bike; an older 700C-sized "unisex step-through frame" Road/MTB made by CCM. Hopefully, the last item I need to call it 100%... :o

As usual, for those who care full details and 3DP nerd stats are here on the 3DP thread.

mnem
 :-/O

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94583 on: July 15, 2021, 08:12:59 pm »
Some good news for me at last with my medical issues.

Yesterday saw the surgeon for post op check and he said everything was great and I could resume normal activities within reason. I figure I'll give the Type 547 another week at least.  ;D The damn thing is still mocking me on a daily basis.  ::)

One thing that I have not shared is that this entire time I have been wearing a catheter. Yes, since March 24th. There were at least 5 attempts at removal prior to the hernia surgery on July 2nd and I could not go. I did finally get all the doctors to agree that the hernia itself was playing a role since it was pressing on my bladder. Well today I had the cat removed and I'm happy (and relieved) to report that I can now piss up a storm on my own.  :-DD I had to go back this afternoon for a bladder scan and it's EMPTY as it should be. At long last there was light at the end of the tunnel.  :-+ :-+
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:15:25 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94584 on: July 15, 2021, 08:15:46 pm »
This must be a hint to shift the latest arrival from the kitchen table, that's a loaf defrosting.  :-DD

The hp 203A arrived from Germany a few days ago, it's was described as faulty. Note it has the extra ranges for sine/square for up to 5 hour for a cycle.

David

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94585 on: July 15, 2021, 08:18:12 pm »

Yesterday saw the surgeon for post op check and he said everything was great and I could resume normal activities within reason. I figure I'll give the Type 547 another week at least.  ;D The damn thing is still mocking me on a daily basis.  ::)

Does lifting/moving boat anchors count as normal activities?  :-//

David

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #94586 on: July 15, 2021, 08:22:30 pm »
hey Papa Smurf, that is good news, congrats.
Now, let the blue stuff outta your bladder :D

in other news, Doc will inspect my poop chute on Aug 9.

Also, had a tawk with HR today.
Need to check out social security and pension plans to decide if I go for Escape from the Republic ...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94587 on: July 15, 2021, 08:22:42 pm »

Does lifting/moving boat anchors count as normal activities?  :-//

David

You know the answer to that. NO.  :P :-DD

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #94588 on: July 15, 2021, 08:36:44 pm »
This must be a hint to shift the latest arrival from the kitchen table, that's a loaf defrosting.  :-DD

The hp 203A arrived from Germany a few days ago, it's was described as faulty. Note it has the extra ranges for sine/square for up to 5 hour for a cycle.

David

Nice!  I have one that came from Apex a few years ago; it's missing one of the filter caps and is still in the repair queue.  Interesting how it's all sub-divided into shielded compartments inside.

Other pics of the innards: https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/HP-203A-Variable-Phase

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, factory, duckduck

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94589 on: July 15, 2021, 09:12:44 pm »

One thing that I have not shared is that this entire time I have been wearing a catheter. Yes, since March 24th. There were at least 5 attempts at removal prior to the hernia surgery on July 2nd and I could not go. I did finally get all the doctors to agree that the hernia itself was playing a role since it was pressing on my bladder. Well today I had the cat removed and I'm happy (and relieved) to report that I can now piss up a storm on my own.  :-DD I had to go back this afternoon for a bladder scan and it's EMPTY as it should be. At long last there was light at the end of the tunnel.  :-+ :-+

I figured that out a while back but decided that enough was enough and that I wouldn't continue to take the piss out of you about it. I mean, why should I when I've got a catheter doing my job for me?  :)

You must be relieved not to have it tugging at your mind any more. It must have been a drag, well more of a dribble really I suppose. No more ringing up the urologist and being asked "Can you hold on for a minute?". No more worrying whether someone will find the catheter packets in the trash, read them, and think "That sounds rather small?". No more getting seasick from the sound of sloshing as you walk. No more panic if you feel something squish when you sit down, and then relief when you find it's just a pack of Twinkies.

It's OK, I got my coat in advance...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94590 on: July 15, 2021, 09:19:58 pm »
see  https://www.ebay.de/itm/150757096224

I ned that  :)

Not the cheapest set:
https://www.distrelec.de/de/bristol-multiple-spline-schraubendrehersatz-ratschengriff-11stueck-weller-xcelite-99ps60n/p/30164386

Regardless of what anyone thinks about them, Xcelite is one of my favorites.  I have 3 regular handles, 1 stubby, 1 T handle and 2 old style ratcheting handles.  Plus several dozen drivers including a couple of bristol spline which I have never had a need for.  I use the hell out of the ratcheting handles and an assortment of drivers for work and they never let me down.  Only wore out 1 .050" hex driver and lost 1 slotted tip in 20 years of using them on the job.  I still have some custom extended length drivers that Xcelite made for the company that made some equipment that we sold and supported that I use occasionally.  Some of what I own is my own investment and some I inherited from the passing of a co-worker and dear friend.  They may not be the top of the line but I certainly sing their praises.

Xcelite stinks. Literally. The only tools I've ever owned that stink as bad as cheap Chinese rubber and synthetic rubber products. Also, they worry me a bit as far as my personal safety from chemical exposure... anything that smells that bad and makes your lip/tongue numb if you absentmindedly gnaw on it while ruminating over a problem...  :o

Aside from that, great quality steel and very well machined; I've owned dozens of sets over the last 40 years, and every one has provided yeoman service.

It's the plastic bits that creep me out. :scared:

EDIT:

Hehhhh... looks like I'm preaching to the choir. And it also appears that I share another of C's bad habits...
:-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

I'd say: Brothers in spirit.

;D  ;D  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94591 on: July 15, 2021, 09:50:06 pm »
Looks like this HP1607A is going to go for the minimum bid. I'm tempted just for those toggle switches, but maybe someone here is a collector of this type of gear?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/353569175703

McBryce.
It’s a very early logic analyser that renders 1’s and 0’s on a scope screen. Mostly useless almost immediately after they started selling the ones with microprocessors in. I had the misfortune of using one once and it was terribly frustrating. The thing is also entirely useless without the unobtainium pods. I’d shred it for bits in a second  :-DD

I found one of those early analyzers locally for $40 listed by the same seller who was selling a National Instruments USB->GPIB adapter that I was interested in so I went intending to get both but she couldn’t find the GPIB adapter.  I picked up the logic analyzer as a consolation prize.  It came with the full set of pods (on top) and all the documentation in the pouch.

I really should knock together a counter circuit or something and try it out one of these days.

Crappy!  I just watched a Curious Marc video on the 1607A and did some reading about it.  I didn't realize at first it wasn't purely a standalone machine that needed an outboard scope for display but was also a companion/extension to the 1600A.  Now I want to find a 1607A with the pods to go with my 1600A.  Addiction?  No...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:02:49 pm by 25 CPS »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94592 on: July 15, 2021, 10:01:38 pm »
Heads up for the folks here from Germany (NAWTS):
I've found this rare Rohde & Schwarz UWGD UGWD digital multimeter with Nixie tubes in the german ebay ads.

I already have one of those, so I'm hoping that it'll find a nice home of some of the TEA fellows here.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/rohde-schwarz-digital-multimeter/1821774490-168-6330

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:20:10 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94593 on: July 15, 2021, 11:06:18 pm »

Piss off, Grumpy Smurf!!!  :-DD

mnem
why is there a little boy following him around with a bucket...?  :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94594 on: July 15, 2021, 11:10:41 pm »

David

Textbook Type 2 JENGA right there... best take action before SWMBO does, buddy.  :-DD

Either that, or plug it in and leave it on;  just tell her  "It's the new bread warmer".  >:D

mnem
JENGA:
(1) Junk Engulfing Nearby Garage Areas - wherein all garage space is subject to a constantly moving and contested scrimmage line;
(2) Junk Encroaching Nonpermissible General Areas - usually defined by other household members and their "need" to use nonessential spaces like living rooms, kitchens and bathrooms;
(3) Junk Engulfing Nonvertical Geometric Areas - the inevitable spontaneous accumulation of all manner of tools and junk on any available table-like horizontal surface; (4) Junk Emigrating Non-Garage Areas - the inexplicable migration of entire stacks to other rooms, often discovered by other household members with a hand truck still underneath;
(5) Junk Engulfing Nonhorizontal Growth Areas - the accumulation of box-shaped objects stacked from floor to ceiling, and the inevitable need to remove one object from the middle of the stack without all of it falling down on your head.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:13:41 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #94595 on: July 15, 2021, 11:24:03 pm »

Piss off, Grumpy Smurf!!!  :-DD

mnem
why is there a little boy following him around with a bucket...?  :o

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94596 on: July 15, 2021, 11:46:28 pm »
Great Sick minds think alike!  >:D

mnem
"We aim to please... so You aim too, please... ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:50:06 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #94597 on: July 16, 2021, 12:05:04 am »

EDIT: It's a shame you didn't have an 820kΩ in your parts bin Med   :popcorn:  :horse:

Glad I wasn't the only one doing some mental resistor wrangling...   ::)

(You can't help it, can you...)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 12:11:28 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #94598 on: July 16, 2021, 12:10:31 am »

Better move it, otherwise you might find the toaster taking up residence on top - or worse still, a doily and vase of flowers.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94599 on: July 16, 2021, 12:33:46 am »

EDIT: It's a shame you didn't have an 820kΩ in your parts bin Med   :popcorn:  :horse:

Glad I wasn't the only one doing some mental resistor wrangling...   ::)

(You can't help it, can you...)

I did but it had to be 1% or better.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf