Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16976951 times)

Neoname, Robert763, Mike De, Vince and 82 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94525 on: July 14, 2021, 08:57:11 pm »
All software calibration processes are retarded because they were designed by the software guys  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94526 on: July 14, 2021, 08:59:48 pm »
All software calibration processes are retarded because they were designed by the software guys  :-DD

Fucking amen.  :-+ :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: SkyMaster, Specmaster, bd139

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94527 on: July 14, 2021, 09:08:05 pm »
Currently eyeing this up. Currently placed well above the value as a BIN and the seller isn't fond of low offers but I'm hoping it goes down significantly when relisted...

Appears to be a duff 7474 display driver looking at the schematics, a common problem on devices of that era. However contains unobtanium ADC and  the front end is a hybrid  :scared:. But the bandwidth on it is pretty amazingly high. Possibly an opportunity to get creative.

That's been on my watch list for a while too, and my BIN price is probably lower than yours, for once!   :-DD

Now, if it came with the test lead...   :box:

How many of the seven watchers are on here I wonder? it's been on my watch list for a while too, not interested myself unless the price goes down a lot.

David

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #94528 on: July 14, 2021, 09:25:45 pm »

Here is a video of that beast. Nice machinery.
Dang. I want to go there now.

Ich auch!

Hmm. LNER takes 7h from KGX to Aberdeen, and then an overnight ferry. Finally 35 minutes in a car to the southern end of the Shetland Mainland, where there's a hotel, and a fog horn. That is doable. And probably fits into Vacation 2024, which is planned to take place, via rail, and narrowboat, in the UK. (not planning for narrowboat to the Shetlands. That would be suicide.)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94529 on: July 14, 2021, 09:46:08 pm »
Looks like this HP1607A is going to go for the minimum bid. I'm tempted just for those toggle switches, but maybe someone here is a collector of this type of gear?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/353569175703

McBryce.

It’s a very early logic analyser that renders 1’s and 0’s on a scope screen. Mostly useless almost immediately after they started selling the ones with microprocessors in. I had the misfortune of using one once and it was terribly frustrating. The thing is also entirely useless without the unobtainium pods. I’d shred it for bits in a second  :-DD

Seriously doubt it will go for the minimum as they have sold them before for more than the start price, one even had a set of probe pods in the pouch.

I've got the 1601A plug-in version for the 180 series scopes, hopefully will be able try it once I've sorted the remaining 180A* problems, it predates both the 1600A & the 1607A. https://www.hpmemoryproject.org/wb_pages/wall_b_page_12.htm
Yes I know it's all very basic compared with later logic analyzers, I also have some newer Tek stuff waiting in storage for it's turn in the repair queue.

*Ironically the 180A came from the same seller.

David
Totally agree, it will not go for that low figure because it already has 19 people watching it who I suspect are a bit more savvy than most buyers and are awaiting the closing stages of the auction before bidding in the hope of getting a real steal.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #94530 on: July 15, 2021, 01:28:58 am »
Tool Time widda ToolDwagon: 10 DOLLAH!

This one is for my fellow Canucks on the thread; I went running some errands today and stopped at my local Princess Auto to see what they had on the GET IT OUTTA MY SIGHT!!! table; a bit of rummaging and my paws turned up these gems for less than 10 Canadian pesos total.

The pliers are GearWrench; like most of their products (evidently, an Apex Tools brand up here), quality is decent and if you can get them on sale you can get a great deal on a tool you'll use for years or even decades. The jaws are ground evenly with a well-centered point, and they meet close enough to pull a single hair off my arm without cutting it. The tips have a very fine serration; this is a tool I'm certain I'll be pleased to use for years to come, especially for 4 bux.

The step drills are typical China-direct quality; much better than some of the case-hardened cheese drills I've bought at Horror Fraught for sure. They are well-ground and the points are well-centered on the flute with a pretty aggro double-angle grind, and the nitriding def appears heavier than some of the cheaper ones I've seen. Sizes are LASER-etched and clear, and it comes with a little pouch to suck up moisture from the air and hold it right on the steel... yumm! ;)

EDIT: It appears the inner surface of the pouch is rubberized... so maybe moisture will not be a problem...? :-//

TL/DR: Not premium quality but certainly fit for purpose, and anyone who's used them knows they can be a life saver; for 6 bux it's gonna be hard not to get my money's worth.

Cheers!

mnem
Stay hungry; stay toolish.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:04:11 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94531 on: July 15, 2021, 01:50:50 am »
Looks like this HP1607A is going to go for the minimum bid. I'm tempted just for those toggle switches, but maybe someone here is a collector of this type of gear?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/353569175703

McBryce.

It’s a very early logic analyser that renders 1’s and 0’s on a scope screen. Mostly useless almost immediately after they started selling the ones with microprocessors in. I had the misfortune of using one once and it was terribly frustrating. The thing is also entirely useless without the unobtainium pods. I’d shred it for bits in a second  :-DD

I found one of those early analyzers locally for $40 listed by the same seller who was selling a National Instruments USB->GPIB adapter that I was interested in so I went intending to get both but she couldn’t find the GPIB adapter.  I picked up the logic analyzer as a consolation prize.  It came with the full set of pods (on top) and all the documentation in the pouch.

I really should knock together a counter circuit or something and try it out one of these days.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 01:52:51 am by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, factory, AVGresponding

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #94532 on: July 15, 2021, 01:55:29 am »
..... it will not go for that low figure because it already has 19 people watching it who I suspect are a bit more savvy than most buyers and are awaiting the closing stages of the auction before bidding in the hope of getting a real steal.

That is the exact scenario that played out in my last 4 attempts on eBay.  Looking like a bargain until the last 10 minutes, then less than a bargain until the last 10 seconds when the snipers (yes, including me) chime in.  In two cases I wasn't able to put in my bid as the price had jumped past that.  In one I was outstripped by a fair margin and the last one I bid higher than I could really justify only to become the second highest bidder.

ANY half decent TE in Australia does not go unnoticed.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94533 on: July 15, 2021, 02:04:30 am »

<snip>

The step drills are typical China-direct quality; much better than some of the case-hardened cheese drills I've bought at Horror Fraught for sure. They are well-ground and the points are well-centered on the flute with a pretty aggro double-angle grind, and the nitriding def appears heavier than some of the cheaper ones I've seen. Sizes are LASER-etched and clear, and it comes with a little pouch to suck up moisture from the air and hold it right on the steel... yumm! ;)

TL/DR: Not premium quality but certainly fit for purpose, and anyone who's used them knows they can be a life saver; for 6 bux it's gonna be hard not to get my money's worth.

Cheers!

mnem

Yeah, I have those step drills as well, and they really are good value for the money and have been the perfect tool for the job on a number of occasions now  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #94534 on: July 15, 2021, 03:42:33 am »
The step drills are typical China-direct quality; much better than some of the case-hardened cheese drills I've bought at Horror Fraught for sure.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:44:16 am by Carl_Smith »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Andrew_Debbie, AVGresponding

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #94535 on: July 15, 2021, 03:54:18 am »

This one is for my fellow Canucks on the thread; I went running some errands today and stopped at my local Princess Auto to see what they had on the GET IT OUTTA MY SIGHT!!! table; a bit of rummaging and my paws turned up these gems for less than 10 Canadian pesos total.

The pliers are GearWrench; like most of their products (evidently, an Apex Tools brand up here), quality is decent and if you can get them on sale you can get a great deal on a tool you'll use for years or even decades. The jaws are ground evenly with a well-centered point, and they meet close enough to pull a single hair off my arm without cutting it. The tips have a very fine serration; this is a tool I'm certain I'll be pleased to use for years to come, especially for 4 bux.

EDIT: It appears the inner surface of the pouch is rubberized... so maybe moisture will not be a problem...? :-//

Cheers!

mnem

Hmmm, how did I miss seeing those pliers in the latest advertisement?  I have to go there soon, so hopefully I can pick up a set.

I am certain I have those step drills.  That of course means I cannot find them at the moment.  To get around my concrete drilling issues, a buddy with a welder added some adapter plates to my metal brackets.  Now, I just have to drill out the brackets to match wherever I can succeed in getting good holes in the concrete.  In the meantime, the brackets are on the kitchen table in the hope that SWMBO will let me off the hook from other Honey Doos just so I can put priority on this....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94536 on: July 15, 2021, 05:17:45 am »
Oh, no... these are not in the Surplus Section or in the flyer... they're in the "Get it Outta My Sight!!!" section at the far end of the store; sometimes a table right around the registers or front door. At my local PA, it's the back half of a pegboard/shelf display thingie with regular-priced merch on the side facing the majority of the store. Wherever they put the stuff that's been lingering too long even for the Surplus Section, depending on how badly they need the real estate the stuff occupies. :-//

It's a "you gotta go there and paw through the pile" thang; last time I went there I got a couple 400A welder ground clamps for like 2 bux each. One of these days I'll have a welder again...  ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 05:55:28 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94537 on: July 15, 2021, 05:22:51 am »
The step drills are typical China-direct quality; much better than some of the case-hardened cheese drills I've bought at Horror Fraught for sure.
No, no, no... that drill is entirely too drill-ly for the drills I'm talking aboot... as in the drills themselves were made of case-hardened cheese.  :o

I literally couldn't drill soft cast aluminum with them; they'd grab and untwist themselves...  |O

mnem
The bar can always go lower. ::)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94538 on: July 15, 2021, 05:27:36 am »
..... it will not go for that low figure because it already has 19 people watching it who I suspect are a bit more savvy than most buyers and are awaiting the closing stages of the auction before bidding in the hope of getting a real steal.

That is the exact scenario that played out in my last 4 attempts on eBay.  Looking like a bargain until the last 10 minutes, then less than a bargain until the last 10 seconds when the snipers (yes, including me) chime in.  In two cases I wasn't able to put in my bid as the price had jumped past that.  In one I was outstripped by a fair margin and the last one I bid higher than I could really justify only to become the second highest bidder.

ANY half decent TE in Australia does not go unnoticed.

Ummm... aren't fleaBay's OZzie auctions still hosted on US servers where Gixen.com can take the misery out of it for ya...?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94539 on: July 15, 2021, 06:32:04 am »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94540 on: July 15, 2021, 06:47:14 am »
Currently eyeing this up. Currently placed well above the value as a BIN and the seller isn't fond of low offers but I'm hoping it goes down significantly when relisted...

Appears to be a duff 7474 display driver looking at the schematics, a common problem on devices of that era. However contains unobtanium ADC and  the front end is a hybrid  :scared:. But the bandwidth on it is pretty amazingly high. Possibly an opportunity to get creative.

That's been on my watch list for a while too, and my BIN price is probably lower than yours, for once!   :-DD

How many of the seven watchers are on here I wonder? it's been on my watch list for a while too, not interested myself unless the price goes down a lot.

David

Not me, got one already. That seller seems to b clearing his junk store.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94541 on: July 15, 2021, 07:48:11 am »
Here is something I haven't seen in a long long time.   My first real job was working for a company that made a competing product.   We had one of the Racal ones too. I think it was there just so the Engineers could say theirs was better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274854825212?hash=item3ffe9fccfc:g:xSUAAOSwGOpg4Egp

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94542 on: July 15, 2021, 08:54:29 am »
Here is something I haven't seen in a long long time.   My first real job was working for a company that made a competing product.   We had one of the Racal ones too. I think it was there just so the Engineers could say theirs was better.

It appears to be working...sort of. The "In Lock" LED is on but the voltmeter and outputs seem to be dead. Or is it still warming up? I guess if that were the case it wouldn't be locked. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94543 on: July 15, 2021, 08:58:03 am »

Last week I sniped something for £100 - or rather I didn't because it went for £300 :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #94544 on: July 15, 2021, 09:10:19 am »

David

Not me, got one already. That seller seems to b clearing his junk store.

It isn't all junk: there's a DekaStat and an HP10020A - for much more than I paid for mine :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94545 on: July 15, 2021, 09:25:16 am »

It appears to be working...sort of. The "In Lock" LED is on but the voltmeter and outputs seem to be dead. Or is it still warming up? I guess if that were the case it wouldn't be locked.

The lights are on but nobody's home.

Been ages  but it is coming back to me.   When I was an undergrad,  I worked part-time for Efratom California, who made the FRK rubidium frequency standard.     The Racal-Dana 9475 has an FRK  inside.  It is more or less is a bench interface for an FRK.    (I was fired after 6 months because they wanted someone full time - turned out to be good thing as I would never had met Debbie if I'd stayed at Efratrom)

The FRK has a crystal oven that is adjusted by a voltage coming off the rubidium cell.    With a voltage that low, the FRK isn't really locked.   It is probably fixable although the rubidium lamp  may be all but impossible to find unless you happen to have an FRK cube  with a good donor.

Edit: Maybe the light isn't on after all :)

Edit 2:  Google found me the FRK manual:  http://bama.edebris.com/download/efratom/frk/Efratom_FRK.pdf

Anyone thinking about bidding should give that read  and ask the seller to take a photo of the reading when the meter is set to display lamp voltage.   

I have no idea about the lamp life or what to do if the lamp is dead.    I think the rest of the FRK is mostly off the shelf parts that should not be hard to get.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 09:46:20 am by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94546 on: July 15, 2021, 09:32:12 am »

Last week I sniped something for £100 - or rather I didn't because it went for £300 :(
To many people these days are snipping, that is where the problem is I think. You get the newbies and uneducated bidding from an early stage on the items that appear to be good, then you get people such as us, looking for a bargain with something where we can add value by using our skill set to either repair and / or clean up the cosmetically challenged pieces, and we get caught up in the last minute rush to secure the item, often bidding more than we wanted to just to be the winner :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94547 on: July 15, 2021, 10:34:09 am »
Another problem I am finding is that people are making direct offers via messages. I’m sitting there waiting for auctions to end and they disappear suddenly despite there not being a make an offer option on the auction  :--

Got to be honest eBay is turning into a complete shit show these days.

Edit: aaaand I'm not paying more than 150 for a TDS1002B  :-DD - offer declined  :-BROKE
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:43:57 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #94548 on: July 15, 2021, 10:48:59 am »
Edit: aaaand I'm not paying more than 150 for a TDS1002B  :-DD - offer declined  :-BROKE
And who'd furking want to ?  :-//  |O
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94549 on: July 15, 2021, 10:58:38 am »
Another problem I am finding is that people are making direct offers via messages. I’m sitting there waiting for auctions to end and they disappear suddenly despite there not being a make an offer option on the auction  :--

Got to be honest eBay is turning into a complete shit show these days.

Well its not much of an upgrade from a TDS210 is it?
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf