Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17732624 times)

Vince, flash2b, doktor pyta and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93925 on: July 08, 2021, 07:20:19 pm »
Oh... a nice quiet afternoon/evening home alone then...?  >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #93926 on: July 08, 2021, 07:31:10 pm »
All this sentimental talk about kids... Anyone want mine?

My youngest was trying to fart on the middle one and pooped herself earlier, the oldest is currently walking around in complete black face which is apparently a facial treatment and the middle one is making noises like a Clanger.

I'm sitting on the porch with my middle one, we're trying to get him to understand the physics of guitars (half the string length, double frequency, et c.) and the mosquitoes are trying to eat us. A very nice evening. A blackbird sings in the forest, a "tuned" (bits and pieces of exhaust removed for effect) MC roars in the distance and there's a pidgeon in another tree.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93927 on: July 08, 2021, 07:35:49 pm »

My youngest was trying to fart on the middle one and pooped herself earlier, ...

Ha! There is justice in the world!

...  and the middle one is making noises like a Clanger.

I do that when I'm making soup.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93928 on: July 08, 2021, 07:47:35 pm »
All this sport  :palm:

This is more like it.

Much better  >:D, I'd rather watch Hypno-Disc (or similar) scattering the batteries & other bits from robots, than that soccerball shite, shame the BBC canned it again.

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93929 on: July 08, 2021, 07:58:10 pm »

My youngest was trying to fart on the middle one and pooped herself earlier, the oldest is currently walking around in complete black face which is apparently a facial treatment and the middle one is making noises like a Clanger.
Thats so funny  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #93930 on: July 08, 2021, 08:01:42 pm »
My youngest was trying to fart on the middle one and pooped herself earlier

Presumably she's in training for a job in construction, where this is known as a "shart".
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93931 on: July 08, 2021, 08:03:31 pm »
@mnem and others who like their PC's to have a lighting show going, I just watched this video these fans are really quite clever as well as being pretty, enjoy.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93932 on: July 08, 2021, 08:06:41 pm »
A thought.

I keep on finding myself in need of the world's smallest belt sander. I mean really small. Just for cleaning the edges up of things like v-scored PCBs and other small odd and sods. Things that aren't big enough to justify getting the proper belt sander out and faffing with setting it up but are too much work to do just with a lick from a sheet of "Wet 'n Dry". Something that would happily sit on any table top.

Other than overly expensive brands like Proxxon, does anyone know of anything that fits the bill?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93933 on: July 08, 2021, 08:14:06 pm »
Another very overpriced hp (hernia producer) 150A has appeared on ePay;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114879968565
The seller has been very lazy & copied the other overpriced listing and forgot to remove the bit about the power cord (yeah what power cord  :palm:). Also it's post 1960 (not 1955) as the serial prefix is 048 and the case is in blue/grey, the serial of 04393 is the newest I've seen (my 150A is 04254 & the rough 150AR is 3247) and first that I've seen without a fixed power cord.

Just noticed the tag is labelled for 240V, probably wants the transformer tappings checking in case it's been changed to 115V, not that anyone will be buying it at that price.

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93935 on: July 08, 2021, 08:20:07 pm »
A thought.

I keep on finding myself in need of the world's smallest belt sander. I mean really small. Just for cleaning the edges up of things like v-scored PCBs and other small odd and sods. Things that aren't big enough to justify getting the proper belt sander out and faffing with setting it up but are too much work to do just with a lick from a sheet of "Wet 'n Dry". Something that would happily sit on any table top.

Other than overly expensive brands like Proxxon, does anyone know of anything that fits the bill?

If you're happy with "bare minimum" you could try something like this: https://www.manomano.de/catalogue/p/miniatur-mini-bandschleifer-modell-mit-25-schleifbndern-siebengang-zufhrung-europischer-standard-220v-28456531?model_id=28437413
I haven't tried it, so I can neither recommend nor criticize it. However, as a fan of Proxxon, I have to say, that you get what you pay for.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #93936 on: July 08, 2021, 08:31:15 pm »
*FOOF*
The only case where you would be allowed in the chem lab would be immediately before the demolition of the building.
Wether said demolition was long planned or incidental...  >:D

My enthusiasm for energetic materials and rapid redox reactions nearly got me banned from the school chem lab on more than one occasion.

I was more into creating poisons in the kitchen, e.g. hydrogen sulphide.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93937 on: July 08, 2021, 08:34:32 pm »
@mnem and others who like their PC's to have a lighting show going, I just watched this video these fans are really quite clever as well as being pretty, enjoy.

My computer has no fans  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #93938 on: July 08, 2021, 08:35:24 pm »
@Cerebus

Work Sharp knife sharpener put to offlabel use ?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Sharpener-Adapter-System-Tek-Lok-Middle/dp/B00C69XJ60/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=work+sharp&qid=1625776388&sr=8-6

We have it here, it works nicely. However we got it for a lot less than the price Amazon is asking

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #93939 on: July 08, 2021, 08:37:43 pm »

I like my computer to be somewhat inconspicuous.
Not glaring all over the place. It's bad enuff that the fan noise of the GPUs make it hard to sleep ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93940 on: July 08, 2021, 08:38:43 pm »
Another very overpriced hp (hernia producer) 150A has appeared on ePay;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114879968565
The seller has been very lazy & copied the other overpriced listing and forgot to remove the bit about the power cord (yeah what power cord  :palm:). Also it's post 1960 (not 1955) as the serial prefix is 048 and the case is in blue/grey, the serial of 04393 is the newest I've seen (my 150A is 04254 & the rough 150AR is 3247) and first that I've seen without a fixed power cord.

Just noticed the tag is labelled for 240V, probably wants the transformer tappings checking in case it's been changed to 115V, not that anyone will be buying it at that price.

David

There’s a matching but later 130C appeared as well. Also a Hernia Producer of course but reasonably priced in comparison. Alfreton and I don’t have the room or inclination to deal with it.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93941 on: July 08, 2021, 08:40:56 pm »

I like my computer to be somewhat inconspicuous.
Not glaring all over the place. It's bad enuff that the fan noise of the GPUs make it hard to sleep ...

Yes same. None of that LED wank. Last PC build gubbins:

Was a nice machine but this fanless M1 chunks through compiler work much faster  :palm:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:42:52 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93942 on: July 08, 2021, 08:45:10 pm »

Meh... I like a little bling lighting... just enough to see the goods through the side window, and a few single-color fans is more than enough. In fact right now, the entire front of my case is black except the badges and a thermometer.

Things like fans and water pump should get some lighting. But everything pretty sedate, and all the same color. RGB RAM and unicorn blarff strips can literally go die in a ditch, along with those who sell/run them. I like addressable LEDs for being able to get the colors from different makers to match shade/brightness; but I really loathe the freaking connectors they use, they fall off all the time. Wish they'd just gone with the same headers as the PWM control. |O

Also, addressable RGB lighting adds sooo much PWM noise... it's like a little RF white noise generator in your PC. ::)

mnem
 :popcorn:

mnem
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:46:43 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93943 on: July 08, 2021, 08:53:28 pm »

Oh yes it does........

YOU!!  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93944 on: July 08, 2021, 09:00:04 pm »
"Oh no it doesn't!"

"Behind you!"

"That isn't a woman!"

and other traditional British pantomime heckles...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93945 on: July 08, 2021, 09:03:26 pm »
Aaaand, I have a USPS tracking number for my HP 53132A.

My life at the moment seems to revolve around checking the tracking status of all the things I'm expecting, but that aren't here yet!!!!

Not that I'm like a small kid waiting for Christmas. Oh no. Not me.

OK, I am.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, mansaxel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93946 on: July 08, 2021, 09:03:56 pm »
My computer also has no LED's other than the power ON and HD activity lights on the front panel, otherwise it is all black, just how I like it, so it does not become a distraction. Fan wise, yes I do have them, but they are very quiet, and the computer is under my bench so any noise does tend to blocked by the bench anyway :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #93947 on: July 08, 2021, 09:04:52 pm »

A reminder, as if it needed making, that: "Association football is a game for gentlemen, that is played by thugs, and rugby football is a game for thugs that is played by gentlemen".

One could add the footnote that rugby league and Australian no-rules football are games for thugs played by thugs.

I recommend adopting some rules from Icelandic mud football. For example, when a player is fouled, the other player has to give him a kiss on the fouled area.

:-DD

We have an informal rule like that in Rugby Union, something to do with a good rough loofaing in the baths afterward.  :)

Had to google that and google showed up with this explanation picture. Which doesn't make it clearer to me.  :-DD

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93948 on: July 08, 2021, 09:05:32 pm »
A thought.

How about a finger sander / power File?
Random exmple www.amazon.co.uk/Silverstorm-247820-260W-13mm-Power
They would fit the bill and are also usefull for other tasks that a benh sander can't do.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93949 on: July 08, 2021, 09:07:04 pm »

Had a bit of a milestone with my son last night; he got his first soldering iron burn building a new lightsaber core so his friends could play without having to switch out on the one extra "combat-ready" (made for cosplay fighting; not Walmart toy-grade) lightsaber we had.

I am either doing something very, very wrong or something very, very right with his upbringing...  :o

mnem
"Son, that's just the iron's way of saying 'DON'T TOUCH ME THERE!' "

Fitted the final piece of the puzzle together last night; I needed to add a 5.5mm charge port, but needed to support it somehow while still having it slightly recessed in the handle.

https://a360.co/3xwzNOi

I ultimately contrived this little fiddly bit; the main body is exactly the right height to wedge snug inside the handle tube, and the little ear fits on the same screw as the rearmost brass standoff on the lightsaber core to keep it in place. It holds the 5.5mm charge port with a single set screw hot-threaded into the plastic boss; once that is loosened, the 5.5mm port can be pressed out the top and the little holder slides out the back along with the rest of the lightsaber core.

My son loves it, and the fact that together we were able to resurrect the lightsaber he killed so long ago. :-+

mnem
*toddles off to fix a busted gear-clusterfuck*
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 09:09:16 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf